the failed brisbane merger

bush demon

lost in the hype of gold coast spun and greater western seems-easy is the collapsing state of brisbane as an aussie rules entity. it's easy to bribe a handful of players to start up new teams but who will want to watch them or play for them once the current lot eat all the chaff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fitzroy-death-still-cuts-deep/story-e6frf9jf-1226077214505

lost in the hype of gold coast spun and greater western seems-easy is the collapsing state of brisbane as an aussie rules entity. it's easy to bribe a handful of players to start up new teams but who will want to watch them or play for them once the current lot eat all the chaff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fitzroy-death-still-cuts-deep/story-e6frf9jf-1226077214505

Absolutely Right, Look at the Bears now....Look at Adelaide right now.....The AFL is expanding and suffering at the same time.

The Latest Broadcast deal looks great right now, but i am concerned going forward....TV stations do not make much from football apart from september. So it will be very interesting to see how the absorb $1.25 Billion over 5 years.

GWS & GC.... who the F@#$% knows what will happen by 2020.

“I think the banner read 'Seduced by North, raped by Brisbane, and something by the AFL that starts with F'. I was not critical of that, because that’s exactly what happened,” he said.

Sad but funny.

The Brisbane Lions are far from safe, not even a decade after winning 3 in a row....Is the AFL making the right decisions long term???

i seriously have some doubts....but can do no more than watch.

What do you mean far from safe?

There is no way the AFL will let anything happen to them after they have spent so much cash building another team up there to grow the game. If you need an example just look at Port, the AFL is bailing them out big time. If your a Victorian team needing assistance? Well. That's a different story.

What do you mean far from safe?

There is no way the AFL will let anything happen to them after they have spent so much cash building another team up there to grow the game. If you need an example just look at Port, the AFL is bailing them out big time. If your a Victorian team needing assistance? Well. That's a different story.

Yes but how long will the bail out continue...Brisbane are leaking very badly apparently. Being kept alive and thriving are 2 very different situations. Port will continue to be a mess until the adelaide oval is a reality..Last i heard that deal was still shaky.

i would just prefer the AFL fixed up some backyard problems rather than expand at this stage.

Because as you say many victorian clubs are struggling whilst the fat controller just gets fatter and more arrogant.

the worst one is bloody Port - you want to see a club get raped?

- The SANFL hold the license to run Port Adelaide (rather than, as with all the Vic clubs bar North, the members)

- The SANFL also hold the license to the two Adelaide stadiums

This means when Port negotiate stadium deals, it's the SANFL negotiating with itself.

Coupled with how the SANFL despise Port Adelaide as a footballing entity, it's not surprised what's happening there.

The AFL have stepped in and will end up having to take the club away from the SANFL to guarantee its survival IMO.

the worst one is bloody Port - you want to see a club get raped?

- The SANFL hold the license to run Port Adelaide (rather than, as with all the Vic clubs bar North, the members)

- The SANFL also hold the license to the two Adelaide stadiums

This means when Port negotiate stadium deals, it's the SANFL negotiating with itself.

Coupled with how the SANFL despise Port Adelaide as a footballing entity, it's not surprised what's happening there.

The AFL have stepped in and will end up having to take the club away from the SANFL to guarantee its survival IMO.

Wayne Jackson should help pay the Bills. It was such a bad move to allow them into the AFL in the first place.

As ex Fitzroy people we know how deep the cut is. Even though we love our new home ( the Melbourne Footy Club ) we still feel the death of our dear old club as if it was yesterday. And the hatred for Oakley, Mike Sheahan et al still burns brightly. I think what really burns me the most was the injustice of the decision to kill off a foundation club that was older than Collingwood and had eight flags to it's name. Clubs like St Kilda with one premiership and years of abject failure still exist. Oh I forgot Oakley played there didn't he.

But there you go that's how corporations operate. The end of history.

As ex Fitzroy people we know how deep the cut is. Even though we love our new home ( the Melbourne Footy Club ) we still feel the death of our dear old club as if it was yesterday. And the hatred for Oakley, Mike Sheahan et al still burns brightly. I think what really burns me the most was the injustice of the decision to kill off a foundation club that was older than Collingwood and had eight flags to it's name. Clubs like St Kilda with one premiership and years of abject failure still exist. Oh I forgot Oakley played there didn't he.

How do you feel about the Brisbane Lions now? Do you hold a soft spot for them as they are part of your old team? Or do you see them as completely separate team?

Also how long did it take you from Fitzroy's demise to take up a new team?

How do you feel about the Brisbane Lions now? Do you hold a soft spot for them as they are part of your old team? Or do you see them as completely separate team?

We have no feelings at all for Brisbane. None. We came over to Melbourne a year after the so called merger. We reasoned that Melbourne represented the name of the city we lived in and we didn't want to barrack for any other suburban teams.

In the first year of the merger my partner and I were up at the Gold Coast so we took in a game at the Gabba. Funnily enough Brisbane were playing the Dees and the Dees beat them. After the game we were on the South Brisbane station waiting to return to the Robina. We were wearing our Fitzroy scarfs and I spotted some people near us in Brisbane gear with name tags saying fundraisers or something. I said to my partner i'll go up and say hello. So I walked up and said 'hi we're old Fitzroy people and we came up to take in a game ". The woman rounded on me and nearly spat as she said " we didn't want you, you went broke ' !!! Then she wheeled around and turned her back on me.

So that was it we weren't going to follow a club that didn't want us. It turns out the old bag did us a huge favour because we'd probably be like all those other poor old Fitzroy people that think Brisbane represents them. Also we found and became members of the mighty Melbourne Fc the oldest club in the competition. How good is that !

The Brisbane Lions disdain for the Fitzroy Lion on the front of their jumper sums it up for me...I am actually hoping they become a total Basket case.

I remember seeing the then Bears CEO laughing and joking during the Take over press conference, and it made my blood boil.

That new lion insignia sums them up perfectly....absolute imposters, which has been shown beautifully since Lethal retired.

We have no feelings at all for Brisbane. None. We came over to Melbourne a year after the so called merger. We reasoned that Melbourne represented the name of the city we lived in and we didn't want to barrack for any other suburban teams.

In the first year of the merger my partner and I were up at the Gold Coast so we took in a game at the Gabba. Funnily enough Brisbane were playing the Dees and the Dees beat them. After the game we were on the South Brisbane station waiting to return to the Robina. We were wearing our Fitzroy scarfs and I spotted some people near us in Brisbane gear with name tags saying fundraisers or something. I said to my partner i'll go up and say hello. So I walked up and said 'hi we're old Fitzroy people and we came up to take in a game ". The woman rounded on me and nearly spat as she said " we didn't want you, you went broke ' !!! Then she wheeled around and turned her back on me.

So that was it we weren't going to follow a club that didn't want us. It turns out the old bag did us a huge favour because we'd probably be like all those other poor old Fitzroy people that think Brisbane represents them. Also we found and became members of the mighty Melbourne Fc the oldest club in the competition. How good is that !

Nice to have you on board digby... B)

We were wearing our Fitzroy scarfs and I spotted some people near us in Brisbane gear with name tags saying fundraisers or something. I said to my partner i'll go up and say hello. So I walked up and said 'hi we're old Fitzroy people and we came up to take in a game ". The woman rounded on me and nearly spat as she said " we didn't want you, you went broke ' !!! Then she wheeled around and turned her back on me.

Wow, unbelievable.

It must be hard to have your team merge/die, but at least you've now made a good choice with the Dees :P

The Brisbane Lions are far from safe, not even a decade after winning 3 in a row....Is the AFL making the right decisions long term???

i seriously have some doubts....but can do no more than watch.

The AFL think it is behaving like the NFL with expansion but it actually is behaving more like the NHL. Introducing extra teams in Sydney and Brisbane will certainly lift the popularity of the game but I doubt enough to avoid a situation where the majority of the teams in NSW and Brisbane will need significant propping up. Goodness Port needs significant investment in an estalbished football state.

Excellent post and good to see. Much of my family Grand-parents and Uncles were Fitzroy supporters and i felt gutted for them. I went to the last match at the G and witnessed the scarf burning.......

Maybe we could pass the hat around for Brisbane and Port or perhaps organize some kind of BBQ to show our support . Ha-Ha just kidding .Not many clubs wanted to help us when we were on our knees begging for a break . I should feel some compassion for them but I've never seen a flag or three like them .All I've seen is our talent get taken , our ground -the ground -get taken ,and the [censored] get taken from us .These fake clubs got their flags through huge concessions to grow the game .We started the comp . The AFL took a distinct pleasure in watching us tear our hearts out . Brisbane and Port should go and drink a nice warm cup of "go f&^% yourself " .Ditto North and their yappy little Pres .