Magpie depth is a myth

Guest DeesPower

Guest DeesPower

Having attended today match at Casey, I was really surprised at the lavk of experienced AFL talent. There were virtually no names in the Collingwood side. I can only conclude their much vaunted depth is very superficial. May their cost of the US will be much greater than we think.

Malthouse is a [censored] .....

Having attended today match at Casey, I was really surprised at the lavk of experienced AFL talent. There were virtually no names in the Collingwood side. I can only conclude their much vaunted depth is very superficial. May their cost of the US will be much greater than we think.

Malthouse is a [censored] .....

Good post. I was thinking this myself. The filth have had a fantastic run with injuries over the last couple of years. I just wonder if they went through a patch like we just coped how well they'd be traveling? I understand they have a very even well rounded team but try taking 10 of their best 22 out.

hard to say, our vfl team did hammer them this week, but i think we have some of the best depth players in the afl, and i guess that is because we have done quite well in the draft over the last few years, and collingwood have had to use the higher numbered picks.

Good post. I was thinking this myself. The filth have had a fantastic run with injuries over the last couple of years. I just wonder if they went through a patch like we just coped how well they'd be traveling? I understand they have a very even well rounded team but try taking 10 of their best 22 out.

They have some talent but their key attribute is they are an incredibly well-drilled side. Look at St Kilda when they were winning. Their top 6 were champs but their bottom 6 were average footballers . Yet they played an exceptionally well drilled game plan and were difficult to beat.

Geelong weren't always champs. A number of their side in 2006 were average footballers. But playing a well drilled system with some champion players and voila the average players look fantastic. Even Hawthorn in 2008 played a great game plan with young well drilled players that weren't at that point champs.

You have to beat the game plan. And maybe the Pies with so many out might struggle to play such a well drilled game. And we have a game style that creates problems for them.

I am picking the Dees.

Go Dees!

As others have said its collingwoods structures that are more impressive than their individual player.

Also they are clearly looking to the future while still being in their premiership window. It is dangerous, but if done well will insure very long sustained sucsess

Last year from memory they delisted/traded 11 players which is quite amazing for a side up the top, with Fraser, medhurst, lockyer, O'bree, etc. This means their depth probably isn't as good as last year,but they are hoping that the influx of nex players will create long period of success.

As others have said its collingwoods structures that are more impressive than their individual player.

Also they are clearly looking to the future while still being in their premiership window. It is dangerous, but if done well will insure very long sustained sucsess

Last year from memory they delisted/traded 11 players which is quite amazing for a side up the top, with Fraser, medhurst, lockyer, O'bree, etc. This means their depth probably isn't as good as last year,but they are hoping that the influx of nex players will create long period of success.

Beat me to the punch there TJ. I had this discussion with a Collingwood supporter mate of mine at the start of the year how I thought although their first 25 or so players were still decent they didn't have anywhere near the depth they did last year.

He initially thought that with Tarrant and Kraouker added to the team this wasn't the case, but then when we went through the list of players who were no longer there from last year he realised their loss of experience. Fraser, Lockyer, O'Bree, Medhurst, Anthony and Prestagiacomo all gone, and then when you throw in Nathan Brown's injury at the start of the season they definatly don't have the depth they once had.

Further more looking at their squad for monday, the only players not there who are automatic selections in their best 22 are Johnson, Swan, Thomas, Jolly and N. Brown. 5 players out of their best 22 is still not as bad as what we've had or will have on monday as we're still without Garland, Grimes, Tapscott, Jamar, Wonna, Davey, Bail and probably still Bartram.

If we win on Monday I know all the media will make reference to the players Collingwood have out. If this is the case I know I'll attempt to call up one of the radio stations to remind them of our outs also.

Their top 6 were champs but their bottom 6 were average footballers . Yet they played an exceptionally well drilled game plan and were difficult to beat.

Definitely true, You need elite footballers, but its the attitude and ability of the lowest rated players that determine

where the side sits in the ladder race, given the oppositions similar players on any given day.

Go DEES ! Give 'em HELL !!

I really hope no-one thinks this if we win on Monday.

'Lack of depth'?

Jeez...

They have no Jolly, Swan, Thomas, or Beams.

You cannot replace your best players.

That is why we have a chance, not because our 'so, so special depth.'

Thing about 'depth' is whether or not you're using these guys to replace other average players or the guys who are actually lifting the average players to a higher level.

The AFL listed guys might fire up with Swan/Pendlebury/Cloke etc.. around them but find it hard to do the same when they're supposed to be the 'leaders' in a team half full of VFL players. Not too much of a loss if Buckley gets hurt, but if Heath Shaw/Harry O etc go down and suddenly Buckley becomes more important in the backline next to some bloke you've never heard of out of the seconds that's when it turns ugly.