Paul Roos on the couch

arossoukas

Roos reckons Nathan Jones is one of the most under-rated players in the AFL and criticises Colin Sylvia for playing one-way football ... OK.

And Roos is right about both!

He wasn't particularly critical of Colin Sylvia, he used the Sylvia one to demonstrate how the coach's instructions aren't being followed. And if you did see the footage, Sylvia was pretty ordinary in that contest!

I can't believe the question marks raised over Roos' comments. I think he is spot on with his views, and am glad that someone has started to focus on certain players.

His concerns over Moloney (which seems to have gone through this thread not mentioned), were pretty accurate too. Hey Brent, you're the teams best clearance player, and a leader of the Club. Ok, your mate Jamar usually puts the pill down your throat at every tap, but now that he isn't playing, you have 2 options, play your same style but without regular feeding by the ruckman, or you can go and get your own footy. Judd couldn't give a toss what ruckman he played under, he just goes and finds it and creates opportunities. Ok, Judd is a superstar, but Moloney can be too.

Same goes with Sylvia. They showed footage of a stoppage where Sylvia was right next to Judd, but by the time the ruckman had tapped it down and the crumbers were contesting, Judd slipped 5 metres away from Col. Roos' words were to the tune of if you are going to play man on man against him, you have to stay on him, not let him slip away. He said something like Bailey is getting the blame for his players being lazy (I think he used the word lazy), and that's not really fair. Col was given a job to do, and he didn't do it. Both players are former top 5 draft picks, one is a superstar, while the other is just showing flashes.

I also thought it interesting to hear Scott say how there were certain things at Geelong that were non-negotiables, and that EVERY player has a responsibility to the team to ensure they play their part. If X player didn't make a stoppage, they were made aware of this and how it is unacceptable. Obviously Stevie J did some things on Saturday night that are not tolerated from a team perspective, even though he kicked 7. I'm all for giving a once-off error chance for redemption, but if any player, and I mean ANY, are repeat offenders, this is not what the Red & Blue jumper stands for.

Didn't see it but couldn't agree more. For the last month we've heard this junk from Jones, Frawley, Rivers, Davey, Sylvia, etc. Enough is enough, we know you played crap, we know you didn't work hard enough, we don't need to be told because we all watched it unfold. Stuff the twitter messages and your media articles, come out show us that playing for Melbourne means something.

A lot of junk on demonland too

I also thought it interesting to hear Scott say how there were certain things at Geelong that were non-negotiables, and that EVERY player has a responsibility to the team to ensure they play their part. If X player didn't make a stoppage, they were made aware of this and how it is unacceptable. Obviously Stevie J did some things on Saturday night that are not tolerated from a team perspective, even though he kicked 7. I'm all for giving a once-off error chance for redemption, but if any player, and I mean ANY, are repeat offenders, this is not what the Red & Blue jumper stands for.

That's what I'm talking about!

There are two proven coaches both laying into Melbourne.

What I see is two men who would absolutely love to take control of this side. The amount of talent we have is not even funny. I don't think it's being used to its ability.

What I see is two men who would absolutely love to take control of this side. The amount of talent we have is not even funny. I don't think it's being used to its ability.

Funny thing about that. I would love to see either one of them take over.

I actually don't have anything against Bailey as such, but I think he may be unable to do what needs to be done with the playing group. He may be better suited to a development role than senior coaching.

What i have noticed, as others have mentioned, is that Paul Roos seems to be paying a lot of attention to our playing group and has been looking at the strengths and weaknesses of a lot of our key players. I too am beginning to wonder if it goes beyond journalism and into the realms of research for his next job interview.

Funny thing about that. I would love to see either one of them take over.

I actually don't have anything against Bailey as such, but I think he may be unable to do what needs to be done with the playing group. He may be better suited to a development role than senior coaching.

What i have noticed, as others have mentioned, is that Paul Roos seems to be paying a lot of attention to our playing group and has been looking at the strengths and weaknesses of a lot of our key players. I too am beginning to wonder if it goes beyond journalism and into the realms of research for his next job interview.

You know, I have noticed the same thing too, plus he is doing it at the other 16 clubs, probably moreso with Sydney, and he still calls it "us" when talking about the Swans. Maybe he is going back there.

We aren't playing as the media expected, our coach is out of contract at the end of the year, he is on a show that talks about all things AFL, and they often focus on issues as well as highlights.

Maybe Jon Ralph has been approached to be an Assistant Coach? He seems to be paying a lot of attention to the things we do. Or maybe he has been told that Matt Burgan is out of contract at the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Edited by billy2803

I respect a guy like Roos that was installed as a interim coach to get a team to the end of the year in preparation for the new coach to enter in and in that time generate such a following from players, supporters and media players that he had to be kept on. I respect someone that took his team to two grand finals and won a premiership in one of those years. I respect someone who seemingly got the best out of his players all of the time. I respect a guy who never believed in bottoming out and creating a culture of winning and competing. I respect a guy that leaves on his own terms to spend more time with family and hand over to a loyal understudy who he believes in. I respect a guy that tells it like he sees it, and at all times doing it with respect. I respect Roosy and his football opinions.

Whether he would be able to weave his magic at the dees is purely a hypothetical at this stage, but I would not back against him.

Without commenting on whether Bailey can or cant coach, my worry is that after 4 years he will have a winning ratio that is very poor. I believe that makes it hard for the players to absolutely believe that he is a great coach. I reckon with all the young players coming up, a new coach that can get some winning form and confidence into this group will generate self perpetuating momentum that unfortunately a coach that has not had great success will be able to do.

The only definite thing I can say is that there has been no greater piece of business that the MFC Board has had to do in a long long time. I think that the selection of the coach for next season and beyond (whoever they feel it is) will make or break us.

You know, I have noticed the same thing too, plus he is doing it at the other 16 clubs, probably moreso with Sydney, and he still calls it "us" when talking about the Swans. Maybe he is going back there.

He is in charge of the Swans 'academy.'

Hence the 'us.'

Guest hangon007

Fantastic listen ever Monday night. Saddest thing for me is

a/ You would hardly know Gerard ever played for us.

b/ You would never guess Mike is one of us.

Sad on both accounts. Suppose thats just football media & just another part of our lost generation.

Edited by hangon007

i did enjoy Gerard's bit on Mclean though, i also thought he was a gun untill he hurt his ancle so i'd be happy for him to get back to some decent form

Fantastic listen ever Monday night. Saddest thing for me is

a/ You would hardly know Gerard ever played for us.

b/ You would never guess Mike is one of us.

Sad on both accounts. Suppose thats just football media & just another part of our lost generation.

Perhaps they are saying it the way it is in spite of their love for the Dees.

I have not heard them give any critism that has not been deserved.

He has turned into a total fool IMO

I don't like his commentary on tv

I don't like him on the couch

I don't like interchange infrindgments (don't think we have had one yet anyone got stats?)

And I don't like him not just running on the field as a coach

but then to stay on and question opposition players ( but that's another issue)

He really thinks he is above everybody else

Very well said, DJL. Roos is an arrogant, washed up egotist. I hate 'On the couch' now.

Yes, you get a sense of that. I think they both see what could be done, and probably pretty quickly. Having said that, as Dees supporters I think we all have a bit of wishful thinking with these two -- that we read perhaps a bit more into what they say than there actually is.

As to Gerard, I think he has a soft spot for Melbourne, and I loved seeing Robbie Flower getting into him a bit, in his gentlemanly way, for leaving.

Brock McLean -- very decent bloke and I wish him all the best.