• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Forward Stocks

Now I know they are not a list of players that are going to necessarily going to scare the life out of opposition defences, however, by my reckoning we have an over abundance of big to mid-sized forwards who may be all worthy of selection this week.

If you start with the three incumbents Jurrah, Watts and Petterd and then throw in Juice, who deserves another crack. Bate was stiff to be dropped, and should come back in on another good game in the twos, and then throw in a BOG performance from Howe at Casey, and that is 6 right there already.

Interesting selection meetings to be had this week by the coaching staff, and maybe some inventive positioning on Saturday if we do decide to roll with all of them.

Now I know they are not a list of players that are going to necessarily going to scare the life out of opposition defences, however, by my reckoning we have an over abundance of big to mid-sized forwards who may be all worthy of selection this week.

If you start with the three incumbents Jurrah, Watts and Petterd and then throw in Juice, who deserves another crack. Bate was stiff to be dropped, and should come back in on another good game in the twos, and then throw in a BOG performance from Howe at Casey, and that is 6 right there already.

Interesting selection meetings to be had this week by the coaching staff, and maybe some inventive positioning on Saturday if we do decide to roll with all of them.

Actually, with the Casey side having another bye this week, bringing in a few more kids this week could be a blessing. It won't hurt the Scorps by missing some players this week, and It would give some of them some continuity. It would also add more list pressure on some players who have in the past couple of seasons seen themselves as Automatic selections.

I'm all for giving Gawn and Howe and Evans their first games in the Red & Blue.

I dont understand thier logic(I.E.the seletion panel) common sence would tell you if you play Juice at full forward he gets the best backman after that it has the waterfall effect which means someone like Liam or ricky(bobby) get the No 4 or 5 backman we dont seem to think this will work but over the years it has

I dont understand thier logic(I.E.the seletion panel) common sence would tell you if you play Juice at full forward he gets the best backman after that it has the waterfall effect which means someone like Liam or ricky(bobby) get the No 4 or 5 backman we dont seem to think this will work but over the years it has

arguable, if i was an opposition coach i would be more inclined to worry about watts and jurrah, as their goal kicking and disposal is much better than newtons. newton would take the warnock-esque defender, just the lump who really is not the number one defender but rather just a stopper.

none the less on the topic on a whole, with the massive drafting of our fwd line it is good to see this depth coming in handy, even though bate was handy in the vfl, howe was best afield, so i would be giving him a run ahead of bate, as i see playing a player on form is better than playing a player because they have played good afl matches. bate was awful against adelaide and we hammered them, so i feel that we do not need him in the side

arguable, if i was an opposition coach i would be more inclined to worry about watts and jurrah, as their goal kicking and disposal is much better than newtons. newton would take the warnock-esque defender, just the lump who really is not the number one defender but rather just a stopper.

none the less on the topic on a whole, with the massive drafting of our fwd line it is good to see this depth coming in handy, even though bate was handy in the vfl, howe was best afield, so i would be giving him a run ahead of bate, as i see playing a player on form is better than playing a player because they have played good afl matches. bate was awful against adelaide and we hammered them, so i feel that we do not need him in the side

I don't see MB as part of the side going forward, would much rather watch Howe stand on blokes.. our forwardline could end up being extremly dangerous one day if Cook and Howe come on, add them to Jurrah Watts and Petterd it is a hell of a group with lots of agility, speed and x factor yet there is a bit of height about it. Lots of headaches there. Here's hoping.

Actually, with the Casey side having another bye this week, bringing in a few more kids this week could be a blessing. It won't hurt the Scorps by missing some players this week, and It would give some of them some continuity. It would also add more list pressure on some players who have in the past couple of seasons seen themselves as Automatic selections.

Totally agree!

Good positive comment! I like it!

Go Dees!

What do you all think of Jurrah moving up the ground (I'm thinking wing) and pushing Green back to the FF line?

Jurrah is impressive in motion and Green is more accurate when he leads and marks. Surely when you are in the situation we are in (with injuries) you can afford to think a little more outside the box?

Tapscott was great on Lindsay Thomas. Very underrated performance. I also thoughts Watts was very good down back, I'd love to see him play down there for a bit. Isn't a key forward at this stage. Mike Sheahan also mention on the couch and they all agreed he looked better.

I'm with you here Dee. Roll the dice and put pressure on the outs looking to come back, and a few of the worst case performers from Sat. Put e'one on notice that we're willing to look and search (and take chances) to find those who are willing to fly the flag for this club and put it all on the line week to week (even if they are more inexperienced and Magoosters!) No more pretenders and hangers on. All players should have to fight tooth and nail for their place from here.

Honesty and commitment time, whilst showing faith in those who perform over rolling periods versus set KPI's etc. Don't wanna lose all core senior players over a few weeks either as we'd then be throwing the youngsters to the wolves and creating an "every man for himself" mentality rather than a "leaving it all on the park/team" approach. But just a little pressure on the edges so everyone's aware it's no automatic inclusion from here unless you meet your benchmarks/expectations over set periods. And i mean everyone, no senior players should be sacrosanct over these rolling periods of assessment/review either!

Bater should be an inclusion at shiityhed and against the hard/veteran bods of the Saints too. Probably a week too late but bater late than never! Shouldn't have been dropped from previous week (certainly not for either Jetta/Bennell at Shittyhed and certainly shouldn't have changed a side that wins by 96 points the previous week other than for injuries/suspensions and/or serious match up issue/s). First game back for year! Needed 2 - 3 in a row to find his place after such a long stint in Magoos....and to find is AFL level pace (as in the speed of the game not his own speed) and AFL level match fitness too. After that he has to earn his place like everyone else (again against KPI's over X number of weeks, certainly not one week and his first week back for some time! ).

Edited by Rusty Nails

I'm with you here Dee. Roll the dice and put pressure on the outs looking to come back, and a few of the worst case performers from Sat. Put e'one on notice that we're willing to look and search (and take chances) to find those who are willing to fly the flag for this club and put it all on the line week to week (even if they are more inexperienced and Magoosters!) No more pretenders and hangers on. All players should have to fight tooth and nail for their place from here.

Honesty and commitment time, whilst showing faith in those who perform over rolling periods versus set KPI's etc. Don't wanna lose all core senior players over a few weeks either as we'd then be throwing the youngsters to the wolves and creating an "every man for himself" mentality rather than a "leaving it all on the park/team" approach. But just a little pressure on the edges so everyone's aware it's no automatic inclusion from here unless you meet your benchmarks/expectations over set periods. And i mean everyone, no senior players should be sacrosanct over these rolling periods of assessment/review either!

Bater should be an inclusion at shiityhed and against the hard/veteran bods of the Saints too. Probably a week too late but bater late than never! Shouldn't have been dropped from previous week (certainly not for either Jetta/Bennell at Shittyhed and certainly shouldn't have changed a side that wins by 96 points the previous week other than for injuries/suspensions and/or serious match up issue/s). First game back for year! Needed 2 - 3 in a row to find his place after such a long stint in Magoos....and to find is AFL level pace (as in the speed of the game not his own speed) and AFL level match fitness too. After that he has to earn his place like everyone else (again against KPI's over X number of weeks, certainly not one week and his first week back for some time! ).

I agree Bate should come back in, he can take a contested mark! I would give Max Gawn a run and have Martin as back up ruck, and leave Juice forward for the bulk of the game. Go with Watts and Jurrah and Pettard with a small crumbing forward like a Wonna or Bennell. I'd be rotating Green, Watts and Jurrah and Pettard through the wings but have Green down forward more often and take him back to his bread and butter!

!

Bater should be an inclusion at shiityhed and against the hard/veteran bods of the Saints too. Probably a week too late but bater late than never! Shouldn't have been dropped from previous week (certainly not for either Jetta/Bennell

he was more dropped due to the fact newton and martin came into the side and can play in the ruck, and he cant, and also because he was the worst player afield, including adelaide players in a 96 point winning side.

What do you all think of Jurrah moving up the ground (I'm thinking wing) and pushing Green back to the FF line?

Jurrah is impressive in motion and Green is more accurate when he leads and marks. Surely when you are in the situation we are in (with injuries) you can afford to think a little more outside the box?

Interesting points Twister

Green doesn't have tank to handle the middle for too long any more, as well as having to push forward/back etc, then he's also expected to pinch hit as a leading forward too to kick occasional goals! So yeh, forward and rotated off the bench more often as required. Best kick in the team for goal inside 50 (up till this year anyway).

As for Jurrah, i like that as an option however does he have the tank and the defensive side yet? If he doesn't (and i don't think he does other than in spurts tank wise/no effective defensive side yet) then we also get creamed going the other way (assuming he has a hard working/decent opponent) and given he's further up the ground the damage could be worse in terms of positional scoring opportunities on the turnover. Maybe a neutral outcome at best at present given where he's at.

Raw talent alone is not enough at this level i'm afraid. Like many of our newbies, he's got to work much harder if we're going to see the best (and get the best) of Jurrah going forward

Edited by Rusty Nails

Guest Artie Bucco

Green was moved to the wing because he was not getting any of the footy staying up in the forward line earlier this season.

Jurrah already covers a fair bit of ground, but he is most effective around half-forward.

Moving him to the wing won't achieve much.

Agreed Jurrah up the field is probably a neutral result. But surely if you can challenge someone with his smoothness and cleanliness with the ball without giving away more in return that can only be a good investment. Maybe start him there for a bit and if he's blowing too hard, rest him up a bit in the pocket. I just hate to see such a quick, explosive and instinctive player restricted to a third of the field.

Jurrah simply doesn't put enough pressure on the opposition to move further up the ground. He can't even do it in the confines of the forward line, so how will he cope in the expanses of the wing - running back and forward between defence and attack?

How about this for an idea. Lynden Dunn is out. Brad Green is struggling up the ground and gets too much attention up forward. He's not producing what we need.

So how about he plays Dunn's role? Play him as a defensive shutdown forward on their most attacking defender. So, this week, he plays against Brendon Goddard. He has the body, and commands opposition respect which will not allow his opponent to run off him as much. His over head ability means that he needs to be watched.

It's a good way to get the captain into the game, helping the team and providing a really good example to his team mates of what needs to be done and how every player must play his role.

Thoughts?

Jurrah simply doesn't put enough pressure on the opposition to move further up the ground. He can't even do it in the confines of the forward line, so how will he cope in the expanses of the wing - running back and forward between defence and attack?

How about this for an idea. Lynden Dunn is out. Brad Green is struggling up the ground and gets too much attention up forward. He's not producing what we need.

So how about he plays Dunn's role? Play him as a defensive shutdown forward on their most attacking defender. So, this week, he plays against Brendon Goddard. He has the body, and commands opposition respect which will not allow his opponent to run off him as much. His over head ability means that he needs to be watched.

It's a good way to get the captain into the game, helping the team and providing a really good example to his team mates of what needs to be done and how every player must play his role.

Thoughts?

Don't know that he has the outright pressure. We want someone who's going to stick Goddard like a glove, he's already down on form and confidence.

he was more dropped due to the fact newton and martin came into the side and can play in the ruck, and he cant, and also because he was the worst player afield, including adelaide players in a 96 point winning side.

Yep. He was most possibly the worst agreed, but he still did a share of (heavy) work in the forward line tackle/body wise and created the occasional (very! lol) contest. And he was still part of a 96 point winning team. Deserved more than a week. A blight on committee for choosing him and confidence destroyer (in one week in a blue moon....out the next for ...umm...Jetta/Bennell??).

Ok, so maybe team balance and forward set demanded it, and Jetta/Bennell not replacing him directly, but still. Horses for courses. Don't need both Jetta AND Bennell (outside runners and puny bods) at the small confines of shiityhed. Could have fitted him in....even as the sub maybe. We'll never know though.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Guest Artie Bucco

I think he's not quite hard enough to be too far away from goals (at the moment).

The fact he is so dangerous around the goals had the opposition on edge - to have him further enough away from goal so that he cant kick a goal and have the same impact actually makes it easier on the other team.

His mercurial efforts of kicking the ball off the ground or taking impossible marks wont have the same "hurt factor" if he's too far from goal.

So how about he plays Dunn's role? Play him as a defensive shutdown forward on their most attacking defender. So, this week, he plays against Brendon Goddard. Thoughts?

i think it will be petterd

Guest Artie Bucco

Thoughts?

Agree on Jurrah defensively and I like the idea for Green.

He needs to do something to get into the game and build his confidence back up a bit.

I've been worried we'd play Goddard into form and I think Green could do this job.

Green was moved to the wing because he was not getting any of the footy staying up in the forward line earlier this season.

Jurrah already covers a fair bit of ground, but he is most effective around half-forward.

Moving him to the wing won't achieve much.

Other than GCS, Adelaide (after a load of external pressure and again another win against an interstate club at home) and a few odd quarter spurts in other matches, there hasn't been much footy making it into the forward line for any of our forwards to go nutz on....period. Be interesting to see some comparative inside 25 stats as well.

Not saying he's performing anywhere near expectations though. Disappointing to say the least (so far). And no i'm not singling out Greeny here or intending too. Just discussing. He's got a few mates atm. Lets hope he can turn it around, along with the rest of the boys