What is wrong with the ANZAC Day fixture

Kento80

Hi everyone. I just found out that an article I submitted to AFL Open Space has been published on the AFL website. Just thought some of you may be interested in reading my thoughts on what I feel is a slightly different perspective on the issue of the ANZAC Day fixture.

AFL Open Space

Hi everyone. I just found out that an article I submitted to AFL Open Space has been published on the AFL website. Just thought some of you may be interested in reading my thoughts on what I feel is a slightly different perspective on the issue of the ANZAC Day fixture.

AFL Open Space

I love your take on the issue. Iwas feeling a little the same last night and this Morning, that it was a bit tasteless bickering over the exclusiveness and the privileages gained by 2 power clubs over the rest of the competition.

After this I thought of the situation of who would befit the occaision whilst being representative of the whole AFL community and the country. It goes without saying that it must be representative of Our Diggers,,, first and foremost in my mind.

So what I thought of was the ANZAC occaision be a State of Origin game.... Or East v West, or South v North.

Edited by dee-luded

I love your take on the issue. Iwas feeling a little the same last night and this Morning, that it was a bit tasteless bickering over the exclusiveness and the privileages gained by 2 power clubs over the rest of the competition.

After this I thought of the situation of who would befit the occaision whilst being representative of the whole AFL community and the country. It goes without saying that it must be representative of Our Diggers,,, first and foremost in my mind.

So what I thought of was the ANZAC occaision be a State of Origin game.... Or East v West, or South v North.

Thanks DL. It was really getting on my nerves seeing all the discussion relating to who gets the spoils of one of the most solemn days on our calendar. State of Origin would be interesting. I would suggest Vic/NSW/ACT/Qld v SA/WA/NT/Tas. That said, I sorta don't like to copy Thugby League. I really enjoy the ANZAC blockbuster, even when the Dees aren't playing. I just can't stand any focus on profits and really think that any profits over that of a regular Home and Away game should go to benefit the soldiers and families of soldiers who made this game so special.

Edited by Kento80

Thanks DL. It was really getting on my nerves seeing all the discussion relating to who gets the spoils of one of the most solemn days on our calendar. State of Origin would be interesting. I would suggest Vic/NSW/ACT/Qld v SA/WA/NT/Tas. That said, I sorta don't like to copy Thugby League. I really enjoy the ANZAC blocbuster, even when the Dees aren't playing. I just can't stand any focus on profits and really think that any profits over that of a regular Home and Away game should go to benefit the people and fanilies of people who made this game so special.

State of Origin is an VFL/AFL idea. It came about as we kept taking all the good players from interstate, then we used them against their birth states to thrash those states. It all got a bit tasteless as well. So State of Origin concept was born.

The NRL copied our concept, as they have many.

No Surprise I guess, however they have gone on and completely made it their own. I am not sure that joining states together would foster the required amount of "state pride" and unity in the teams, as what you get when it is just NSW/QLD. But unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective) we can't make it just two states as we are a truly nationwide code.

In reality I would like to see if there is some way to make the decision as to who plays on the day at the latest moment possible, say rd 3, to let some games go by and get a real feel for which two sides are the most "on". I know it is fanciful, and probably too hard to implement, but they did manage to organise a GF in one week last year.

In reality it is all pretty hypothetical because Demetriou said today he hopes it is C v E into the future and those two clubs have enough clout to keep it. I just hope they take a long hard look at themselves and try to rediscover the meaning behind the game, not the profit.

AFL Open Space

Well thought out and written Kento.

I find it an issue for myself that every ANZAC day I now hear with increasing predominance about a football match and the two teams that have become ingrained on it, and that would be the case even if it were Melbourne in lieu of Essendon or Collingwood.

No Surprise I guess, however they have gone on and completely made it their own. I am not sure that joining states together would foster the required amount of "state pride" and unity in the teams, as what you get when it is just NSW/QLD. But unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective) we can't make it just two states as we are a truly nationwide code.

In reality I would like to see if there is some way to make the decision as to who plays on the day at the latest moment possible, say rd 3, to let some games go by and get a real feel for which two sides are the most "on". I know it is fanciful, and probably too hard to implement, but they did manage to organise a GF in one week last year.

In reality it is all pretty hypothetical because Demetriou said today he hopes it is C v E into the future and those two clubs have enough clout to keep it. I just hope they take a long hard look at themselves and try to rediscover the meaning behind the game, not the profit.

The supporters and our players loved it in the Ted whitten SoO send off game. And a GLyon played well to, And Stynes.

The supporters went ape droppings.

AFL Open Space

Yeah, good angle kento.

PS. Did you have to use the term "snowballed" ?...:)

great article, im happy for it to stay as is, however i would love to see every afl player get the chance to play this. Would also love to see a state of origin double header. An Allied vs WA at 2pm then a night VIC vs SA. or twighlight. ! at ES and the other at the G.

Thanks guys. Deelighted, the double header would be interesting for sure. And Hightower, well, I might just blame that one on a few too many glasses of red :) Very true Wolfmother, it is not a battle, the players are not brave or courageous, they are well payed footballers. The ones who faced BATTLE were the brave and courageous ones. The intensity of that game is absolutely fantastic, but that is as far as I can stretch it.

Honestly Guys there is very little wrong with it.

Leave it alone!

Are you saying you are happy with people squabbling over the financial spoils of a game built on the backs of a sacrifice so great most of us can't comprehend? If you are I have to say I feel sorry for you.

Are you saying you are happy with people squabbling over the financial spoils of a game built on the backs of a sacrifice so great most of us can't comprehend? If you are I have to say I feel sorry for you.

Like it or not we are not in the same league as The Pies or bombers when it comes to Members or performance over the last twenty years.

The nett result is we have our big one on Queens Birthday. That is it.

The AFL have no intention of changing anything.

When we have 50 000 members and have had sustained success over 10 years then we might have a claim.

Until then just get on with it!

As for the "sacrifice" my great uncle died in France in WW1 and my father and uncle were on the Kokoda.

So please leave that alone I know all about "sacriface"

Like it or not we are not in the same league as The Pies or bombers when it comes to Members or performance over the last twenty years.

When we have 50 000 members and have had sustained success over 10 years then we might have a claim.

As for the "sacrifice" my great uncle died in France in WW1 and my father and uncle were on the Kokoda.

I am not talking about members or supporters or the size of the club. I am talking about people arguing over the financial benefits of this game. I never said you didn't know about sacrifice, as I do as well, but you seem to have a different interpretation to myself and alot of other people as to the amount of reverence this deserves.

I am not making a claim to the game, or the money. If the focus has shifted from the ANZACs or just the game itself, then the whole thing should be done with. As for the AFLs intentions, I am well aware that they don't intend to change anything. I am also aware that the majority of the Australian public didn't want to go to Iraq, but that didn't stop Howard did it.

I didn't find much food for thought in the article, and some of the comments here are hard to understand and even harder to stomach.

The ANZAC Day match is an AFL beat up from start to finish. It's a cash cow for the AFL, two of its biggest clubs, TV stations and merchandisers. Like everything in the AFL - the so called 'draw', the setting of times and grounds for matches, the draft, the creation of new and unwanted teams, the moving or closing of historic clubs, the constant playing with rules, the inconsistency of the Tribunal etc. etc. - it's a contrivance, designed to maximise something or other for the AFL and its business cronies without paying any heed to justice or fairness. The 'tradition' of the match is an artifice created recently, riding on the back of the ANZAC tradition. It is not 'squabbling' to question quite legitimately and fairly whether these two giant football clubs should continue to receive so much publicity and cash from one match, even when one or both are at or near the bottom of the ladder. Consider it in the light of the forced staging of matches between lowly clubs (often, one of them is from interstate) at 4.40pm on a Sunday evening at Docklands in the middle of winter. Don't see Collingwood at one of those.

No, ANZAC Day is being exploited by the AFL and the MSM to make this match a contrived 'blockbuster' spectacle, complete with all the language and imagery of bravery and sacrifice. Take ANZAC out of the match and it's just a cash cow, another fixed part of the 'fixture', and it's time the cow was shared around or its profits shared around.

I didn't find much food for thought in the article, and some of the comments here are hard to understand and even harder to stomach.

No, ANZAC Day is being exploited by the AFL and the MSM to make this match a contrived 'blockbuster' spectacle, complete with all the language and imagery of bravery and sacrifice. Take ANZAC out of the match and it's just a cash cow, another fixed part of the 'fixture', and it's time the cow was shared around or its profits shared around.

I feel compelled to support LH in this.

The concept of an 'Anzac' medal is ridiculous, added to the contrived linkages by pseudo-historical comments we hear from M. Malthouse each year(I don't know which history he is reading) combined with the lack of opportunity to players of other clubs all adds up to a general unfairness embedded in the whole process.

Collingwood were formally asked recently for the amount of funds from this 'event' channelled into the RSL - no comment was the reply.

Before I get yelled at, my Grandfather survived gallipoli and France and my father survived the Pacific. They would be appalled at this state of affairs.

That's is exactly what I was talkiing about. But I personally don't think the profits should go to the clubs, because if you take away the AFL "exploitation", it is just a game which would otherwise attract no more attention than usual. Therefore any profits should be used more wisely. I can't see much difference between my opinion and yours at all.

I feel compelled to support LH in this.

The concept of an 'Anzac' medal is ridiculous, added to the contrived linkages by pseudo-historical comments we hear from M. Malthouse each year(I don't know which history he is reading) combined with the lack of opportunity to players of other clubs all adds up to a general unfairness embedded in the whole process.

Collingwood were formally asked recently for the amount of funds from this 'event' channelled into the RSL - no comment was the reply.

Before I get yelled at, my Grandfather survived gallipoli and France and my father survived the Pacific. They would be appalled at this state of affairs.

You won't get yelled at by me, as you are another person reinforcing exactly what I was saying. I hadn't actually heard about Collingw@*ds no comment re the RSL, but that just adds more to what I was hoping people would get from this discussion. And yes, my grandfather is appalled by this state of affairs. And so are a couple of his mates he served at New Guinea with.

You won't get yelled at by me, as you are another person reinforcing exactly what I was saying. I hadn't actually heard about Collingw@*ds no comment re the RSL, but that just adds more to what I was hoping people would get from this discussion. And yes, my grandfather is appalled by this state of affairs. And so are a couple of his mates he served at New Guinea with.

It was a really well written and interesting article BTW.

Good Job to get it up on the AFL site

Football on ANZAC day was started by, and popularised by, Collingwood and Essendon. They made the game, and as far as I'm concerned, they are the ones who should be playing it.

What I believe is that all 18 clubs should have at least one 'blockbuster' that is fixtured annually. Rather than having different teams rotating through the same match, why not develop new rivalries or build up existing ones by giving all clubs their own sort of ANZAC day. Let's be honest, who here would be happy having other clubs rotating through Queen's Birthday?

These already exist:

Ess/Coll - ANZAC day

Melb/Coll - QBW

Adel/PA - Showdown

WCE/Freo - Derby

BL/GC - QLD Derby

Syd/GWS - Sydney Derby

Ess/Rich - Dreamtime at the G

From there we need to add Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong, St Kilda, North Melbourne and the Bulldogs:

Haw/Geel - Easter Monday (they've played on this weekend before, IIRC, and their rivalry is intense)

NM/WB - just pick an occasion some time in the year and play these two clubs against each other. Give them a rivalry to care about. Put it on Good Friday for all I care.

Carl/St K - IIRC they play the blue ribbon game. Even if they don't, just set up a match between them. Mind you, Carlton will always have big games against Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. St Kilda could also get a feature game against Geelong.

Whatever the match ups are, the point is, it would work better for each club to have at least one match per year that is some sort of blockbuster, rather than having ANZAC day between North Melbourne and Port Adelaide, which no one would care about.

great article, im happy for it to stay as is, however i would love to see every afl player get the chance to play this. Would also love to see a state of origin double header. An Allied vs WA at 2pm then a night VIC vs SA. or twighlight. ! at ES and the other at the G.

Thats an Idea too.

'old dee', if you or others can't see how the Pies and Bombers build the attraction to supporters via these types of events, then we are doomed. It is a massive advantage to use such an occaision of the ANZACs to foster their 'brand', and attract members, sponsors, and huge financial advatage. to the detriment of the rest, unbalancing the local state balance.

It is not right tthat other players of other teams cannot participate in this eclusive event.

I like the concept and I think it is "Australian", to do, but really, my dad did not go to fight in the hills of New Guinea, and get hit by a shell, for exclusiveness like this.

My Uncles who went in behind enemy lines in Sth East Asia, did not fight for Elitists to take control in such a way. They fought for their country, one of equality and fairness, one that gave a mate a helping hand.

Football on ANZAC day was started by, and popularised by, Collingwood and Essendon. They made the game, and as far as I'm concerned, they are the ones who should be playing it.

This is one of the greatest myths that Collingwood and Essendon have managaged to convince the football proletariat of. Until 1995 the marquee ANZAC day game was played at VFL Park. There was usually one other game played, usually but not always at the MCG. As a child of the 80s and 90s I recall attending several ANZAC day matches at both the G and VFL Park involving the Deemons. Inclduding Collingwood at VFL Park in 1991, we won and Cuthbertson kicked a bag. They played the last post, there was a minunte not a moment of silenceas part of the breif but respectful ceremony before the game. Of course, it makes much better sense to play the marquee game at the MCG given the March and all in town in the morning. But we all remember how except for the grand final the MCG always played second fiddle from the moment VFL Park was built.

Oh and as for QB well the stand alone blockbuster we've tried to create only goes back to 2000 from memory, yes we've often played on QB prior to that and sometimes we played Colligwood in front of big crowds.