Three Boys Dreaming

angryfijian

Very enjoyable and insightful documentary on ABC. Makes one realise what it takes to progress through the youth system these days. Also makes a poignant note on how talent on its own does not equal a professional career. I loved Cathy Freeman's comment "what do ya wanna eat Maccas for? Victory tastes better!". I would highly recommend this documentary to all.

Edited by angryfijian

Annoyed that I missed it.

Which Chris Yarran is featured?

I'm guessing it is not the Yarran signed to Carlton, but the other one (as there are 2).

It is the Chris Yarran from Carlton. After watching the documentary, I now realise how far back he has come from. He has plenty of improvement/development left in him. But its up to him to make the right choices and sacrifices.

I too thought it was a great doco.

I liked the loyalty of Tasmania's Daniel Jago, and the honest self-analysis of Sydney's Daen Lomas, the two boys who missed making it through to the AFL.

This was Great viewing. I grow up in WA and played footy a WAFL level, some of the Aboriginal footballers that I played with were amazing and great blokes. I have seen the story of the two guys that missed out so many times, they had all the ability to make it but didn't want to do the work. The AFL with the programs they run is the reason we are starting to see more Aboriginal footballers play at the top level. It is about education, most of the guys I played with were that talented they didn't need to work hard, the AFL is identifying this emense talent and educating them on what is required to make it at AFL level, then it is up to the individual to do the work.

The game is better when we can see the likes of Yarren, Jurrah, Davey, Goodes and co, I've been lucky I played with Aboriginal players from the first game I played, I have seen some amazing things done on the field, it is great that we are all starting to see this at the top level on a weekly basis.

We still have a long way to go to make sure that every kid is given the opportunity to have a crack at achieving their dreams be it playing sport or a profession.

Great doco, and a real eye opener to me. So much talent that falls by the wayside. So many kids doing it tough because of their difficult family situations. So much support from their mums.

Fantastic doco. You can pick it up on ABC iview. I think i will watch Chris Yarran with real interest now. Seemed like a lovely kid (even if he did look like was 25 when he was only 14). There was a real sadness about the seemingly inevitable nature of the derailment of the other boys, especially Daen Lomas. This story is probably being repeated many times around the country. The other thing that struck me is how the male culture of drinking around country footy clubs is so destructive.

Fantastic doco. You can pick it up on ABC iview. I think i will watch Chris Yarran with real interest now. Seemed like a lovely kid (even if he did look like was 25 when he was only 14). There was a real sadness about the seemingly inevitable nature of the derailment of the other boys, especially Daen Lomas. This story is probably being repeated many times around the country. The other thing that struck me is how the male culture of drinking around country footy clubs is so destructive.

Iview is great, thanks for the reminder....shall watch it Thursday night. I heard the director on Radio a while ago. Sounds like he nailed his idea.

i too have had the experience of playing with Aboriginal footballers in the sanfl and in the murray bushrangers. i agree with drdrake they are really good blokes and easy to get along with but they have that mentality where they could cruise through a game or at training because they are a very talented bunch, but never seem to put in the extra yards. i think they sorta expect it to all come to them instead of putting in the hard work. but its great to hear they have programs to guide em along the lines and get that mentality off. thats the beauty and excitment of our game, watching people like them play it just makes you proud to be apart of this great sport! there are some serious talent hidden out there.. sit back and enjoy the ride because i feel liam jurrah is going to take us on an amazing journey :)

i too have had the experience of playing with Aboriginal footballers in the sanfl and in the murray bushrangers. i agree with drdrake they are really good blokes and easy to get along with but they have that mentality where they could cruise through a game or at training because they are a very talented bunch, but never seem to put in the extra yards. i think they sorta expect it to all come to them instead of putting in the hard work. but its great to hear they have programs to guide em along the lines and get that mentality off. thats the beauty and excitment of our game, watching people like them play it just makes you proud to be apart of this great sport! there are some serious talent hidden out there.. sit back and enjoy the ride because i feel liam jurrah is going to take us on an amazing journey :)

I think he already has. Its not over yet though.

I too thought it was a great doco.

I liked the loyalty of Tasmania's Daniel Jago, and the honest self-analysis of Sydney's Daen Lomas, the two boys who missed making it through to the AFL.

That wasn't loyalty that was his excuse for not taking the hard road. He was scared, probably of failure. Not an uncommon trait amongst us humans. Highlighted how important good fathers are to a person's development.