Best 18

old55

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I wrote I think the journey is more important than the destination in this but ...

Can all drafters please post their final line-ups in position with player name and first initial and club (and any reasoning/excuses)

Judging:

- Official Panel: Nasher, Mr Reims, Titan Uranus, Whispering Jack, Baghdad Bob, Axis of Bob

- Criteria: Win 2011 flag

- Voting: 5-4-3-2-1 with explanations

- Deadline: midnight Sunday 19/12

Hopefully much correspondence will be entered into.

DA's dreamteam idea is a good one.

Thanks for playing!

As posted I'm off OS on Friday for 3 weeks so I leaver the pie fight to you guys ...

Guest Baghdad Bob

As I wrote I think the journey is more important than the destination in this but ...

Can all drafters please post their final line-ups in position with player name and first initial and club (and any reasoning/excuses)

Judging:

- Official Panel: Nasher, Mr Reims, Titan Uranus, Whispering Jack, Baghdad Bob, Axis of Bob

- Criteria: Win 2011 flag

- Voting: 5-4-3-2-1 with explanations

- Deadline: midnight Sunday 19/12

Hopefully much correspondence will be entered into.

DA's dreamteam idea is a good one.

Thanks for playing!

As posted I'm off OS on Friday for 3 weeks so I leaver the pie fight to you guys ...

Is 19/12/ the date for the judges decision?

DA's idea, whilst interesting, will be distorted by injury. The judges, thankfully, will not be hindered by such things.

Are team captains going to present like Range Rover did?

My Final Team Sheet & Summary

HT Highlanders

Backs: J.Frawley (Melb) A.Carlile (Port) J.Gwilt (St.K)

H-Backs: B.Gibbs (Carl) N.Bock (G Coast) A.Mackie (Geel)

Centres: *T.Scully (Melb) J.Watson (Ess) T.Cotchin (Rich)

H-Fwds: S.Burgoyne (Haw) **M.Pavlich (Frem)S.Sidebottom (Coll)

Fwds: T.Banfield (Bris) J.White (Sydney) P.Dangerfield (Adel)

Foll: D.Cox (WCE) A.Cooney (W B'dogs) A.Swallow (Nth Melb)

* extra pick (wildcard)

** Captain

Justification & Verification for my side (with a bit of cheek) : -

Pick 1 – J.Frawley (Melb) – Probably raised a few eyebrows as the number one pick, but I wanted him. My next pick was No.20 and I figured he would be gone. Such is my admiration for this 21 year old All Australian as well as having a strong backline, he is an integral part of my backline who can handle any challenge thrown at him by taking on the Jonathon Brown’s of this world or even the small forward little tackers such as Steven Milne. Breaks lines and is a massive weapon down back.

Pick 20 – J.Watson (Ess) – Would be great to see this kid perform with good players around him now. Integral part of the engine room to release my runners. Creative with handball in setting up teammates, quick reaction time at stoppages almost guarantees first use of the ball. Been awarded the captaincy at Essendon Football Club. One of the leading midfielders of the current game today. Wouldn’t have lasted until the 4th round given Essendon’s list runs thin for quality. I had to have the best available at Essendon. And I certainly achieved that.

Pick 21 – M.Pavlich (Frem) – An injustice that I picked him ahead of J.Watson, but I did that to p!ss every other entrant off; yet please myself. How this guy lasted until the 3rd round is beyond me. :P Captain at Fremantle Football Club and big CHF/FF who can go in the middle if required. Mr.Flexible. One of the best footballers in the country who can kick bags of goals. A real matchwinner.

Pick 40 – A.Cooney (W B'dogs) – In hindsight probably could have picked him up at 20 or 21. Given the seemingly mad rush for key position and rucks early I chanced Cooney for pick 40 and got him. Can be hot & cold, sometimes underrated in sorts, but when hot he is dynamite. Battled injury this season at the Doggies and struggled. A real blue chip midfielder (former No.1 pick of his draft) and Brownlow winner on his night and can light up the field with his blistering pace. I think I can push him forward occassionally and change up with Dangerfield for a run in the midfield or even Sidebottom who will have a bigger engine in 2010.

Pick 41 – N.Bock (Gold Coast fc) – The next pillar to my rock hard defence. Former recent AA CHB, and with Frawley would form a formidable combination. Rumoured to be “finished” by some of my colleagues in this draft. But I don’t buy it, neither did GC. First signed at the Gold Coast Suns and at 27 has plenty of footy in front of him. In his prime. With so few handy experienced GC picks available – a real jewel in the crown at pick 41. (Good sell).

Pick 60 – A.Swallow (Nth Melb) – Outstanding midfielder and best & fairest winner (x2) at Nth Melb, tireless worker in the midfield. Really bolsters the in and under variety of my midfield who compliments Watson to help release the ball to the more fancied runners, whilst contributing and most capable by himself. Was the first picked from North Melbourne in this draft and rightly so.

Pick 61 – T.Cotchin (Rich) – Former No.2 pick of his draft. Having missed on D.Martin, the Tigers cream runs thin. This kid is a gem, highly skilled on either foot, creative and yet to mature, but he is definitely on the cusp and would thrive in this side.

Pick 80 - B.Gibbs (Carl) – Former No.1 pick of his draft. Compliments the back half, provides plenty of drive with precision possessions, strong overhead and can fill holes for our other defenders, intercept and help set up attacking moves. Creative gem and a steal at pick 80. Can also overlap and link up with the mids and also contribute to i50's.

Pick 81 – P.Dangerfield (Adel) – Was looking for a bit of strength and versatility in the midfield and one who could push forward and contribute on the scoreboard kicking goals. One of the taller midfielders who prides as such. Real weapon at the Adelaide Crows who provides dash and is a hard match up for opposition. Would like to think as coach I could rotate him through the midfield and change him up with Cooney who can also go forward.

Pick 100 – J.White (Syd) – Was in need of a tall forward who can also help out in the ruck given the new rules of the game. He was high on the list for trade week here at Demonland. The big man mountain at 196cm is still young and still maturing in the game today. Having already chalked up 40 games is ready to fire. May be tried down back in the NAB Cup to expand on his skills/game, but will play a big part up forward for Sydney, hence me listing him as FF. Pavlich will provide plenty of support for him and with my set-up of fleet footed creative speedy little men in Banfield and Sidebottom. All he has to do is get the ball to ground and let the big game performers do the rest – unless he marks it himself of which he is quite capable of.

Pick 101 – S.Burgoyne (Haw) – Whilst the likes of Hodge, Franklin, Roughead went early I really thought this bloke was overlooked. Had he still been at Port he would have been the first picked, no doubt. Has overcome injury well and contributed very well at his new team. Doesn’t look out of place. Still plenty of footy left. Silky smooth, creative and a real hand full.

Pick 120 – S.Sidebottom (Coll) – Collingwood can run deep, but big game players such as Steele are a rarity. Former first round draft pick who knows himself on a footy field. Creative, knows where to run, often getting to just the right place and is as potent as any small forward today. Young, enthusiastic and an inspired pick by the team we love to hate. Absolute “steele” at pick no#120.

Pick 121 – T.Banfield (Bris) – Only played 20 odd games, and has finished his first season of football by representing Australia in the International Rules. Not a bad introduction for a first year player if I don’t say so myself. Playing under Mick. Obviously highly rated by all and mind boggling he wasn’t picked up in the first 6 or so Brisbane picks in this draft. Flabbergasted. A real find. A real pocket dynamo. Just ask J.Brown !

Pick 140 – J.Gwilt (St.K)– It just gets better. Big game player, highlighted by the perfromances in the GF’s this year against Collingwood. Can hold his head high. Has really come on and matured now at the Saints. And is a worthy member to be named in this side.

Pick 141 – T.Scully (Melb) – What else can I say ? The latest number one draft pick who is experienced at AFL level (unlike D.Swallow). How on earth he lasted until pick 141 is Twilight Zone stuff. Ended up being my wild card pick (extra pick); was just too good to refuse. Actually tossed up between Jack Watts and Scully. But I wanted a rolls royce midfield and went for Scully and achieved that feat. Then moved S.Burgoyne to half forward and enabled to start the dangerous Dangerfield in my forward 50. With Scully & Cotchin named on the wings, opposition sides would be troubled over the next 4-5 years minimum. Particularly the sides created in this draft !

Pick 160 – A.Mackie (Geel) – Every man and his dog went for Geelong early, but I knew what I was doing. Geelong runs deep and I knew even being the last to select from Geelong I’d still have quality to choose from. Still had Mackie, Hunt, Corey, Ottens, Wojcinski, Lonergan (and even Ling) to choose from. Needing a hlaf bank flanker, Mackie was more suited to the role and the right age (24) category to fit the set task by old55 in this draft. Can drift back and lend support accross the packs and down back for Frawley & Carlile. Links up well with my massive midfield.

Pick 161 – A.Carlile (Port) – The last two picks for my draft I had planned to leave from about Round 11 (in fact my last picked was planned well before Round 11 , but was solidified by Round 11). This is where recruiting prowess takes a part to develop such a great team. Knowing what your opposition have already picked and what sides they still had to pick from – including the extra pick(wildcard) – is essential. Having named Frawley as my Full Back may have thrown a few off their game (for that was the intention). But one with good knowledge would be aware that Frawley is quality and also comes with flexibility in able to play on small forwards if need be. Carlile is a Full Back coming into his own at Port having played nearly all games in ’10. Having played 74 games and being relatively youngish for a KP (23) in the AFL he has developed at a rapid rate to cement the FB possy at Port.

Port Adelaide’s list when you look at it, you really scratch your head outside of Boak & Gray. Not many are aware of how Alipate Carlile goes, because they don’t watch much of Port or couldn’t care less. But I do. 

Pick 180 – D.Cox (WCE) – Well, I had him penciled in before the draft started, yet I’ve picked him up at pick no.180. Strategic ?? Planned?? Of course ! I’d been worried throughout Rounds 1-10 to some degree, but knew that if he was indeed picked up I’d have plenty capable still left to fall back on. Once many went early for ruckmen, for the majority of the draft there was only a couple of us – me & Roger Mellie included that had still not picked a ruck. Leaving the ruck be, enabled to solidify a strong midfield & spine quickly. Once the other entrants had also used their extra picks as well as the West Coast picks, by Pick 100, I was confident Dean Cox was a shoo-in for me at pick no.180 (the last pick of the draft). So I could concentrate on filling other needs. At just 28 going 29, still has 4-5 years left which suits this draft’s window. Expect another big showing in 2011. Quality ruckman. Despite his team’s poor showing. What a pick !

In summary:

I picked prudently throughout the draft. My first pick highlighted the need for a strong back 6. I think Frawley, Bock, Gibbs, Gwilt, Carlile & Mackie certainly provide that and are versatile enough to cope and handle both big & small forward lines from opposition sides obtained in this draft. Strategically I needed some strong focal points up forward and Pavlich (Capt) and Jesse White certainly provide that. Together with the fleet footed Banfield, Sidebottom and Burgoyne they form a well balanced forward line littered with speed and potency. Also have the option of rotating the ever dangerous Dangerfield & Cooney through there. Certainly Dangerfield can provide that mobile tallish mid 3rd key forward. Depending upon match-ups I could start Dangerfield at half forward and switch Sidebottom from half-forward to the forward pocket if need be. To test the opposition backlines.

The midfield speaks for itself. Options galore, both in & under and outside mids. Quality B&F's from all clubs and B&F's to be. Swallow, Cooney, Dangerfield, Watson, Scully, Cotchin, Burgoyne,..the list is endless, not to mention AA ruckman Dean Cox who presents well in the centre ruck clearances as well as being more mobile as any to push forward and assist height wise in the forward line. Has kicked plenty of goals. All in all - all are primed to take on all comers for the 2011 Premiership.

Pick 100: Jesse White. A real handful for any of the other sides in this Best 18 thread.

jessewhite.jpg

Is 19/12/ the date for the judges decision?

DA's idea, whilst interesting, will be distorted by injury. The judges, thankfully, will not be hindered by such things.

Are team captains going to present like Range Rover did?

Yes the deadline is for the judges.

Yes Range Rovers presentation of his team is an excellent template.

Guest Baghdad Bob

Yes the deadline is for the judges.

Yes Range Rovers presentation of his team is an excellent template.

OK.

Now, a few assumptions that should be corrected if not right.

1. All players are fit and in form that is representative of their last 12 months.

2. Little or no weight given to blue sky. For example D.Cox is not the player he was in 2005 and how a judge can evaluate Liam Patrick or Josh Toy I just don't know. He's never played a game of AFL footy.

What other assumptions should be made??

OK.

Now, a few assumptions that should be corrected if not right.

1. All players are fit and in form that is representative of their last 12 months.

2. Little or no weight given to blue sky. For example D.Cox is not the player he was in 2005 and how a judge can evaluate Liam Patrick or Josh Toy I just don't know. He's never played a game of AFL footy.

What other assumptions should be made??

I'm glad the assumption you made regarding Dean Cox was just that...an assumption. An invalid assumption: -

Player Statistics Comparison

Dean Cox Name Dean Cox

West Coast Eagles Team West Coast Eagles

Ruck Position Ruck

202 Career Games 202

East Perth Origin East Perth

August 1, 1981 Date of Birth August 1, 1981

29yr 4mth Age Turned 24 in 2005

204cm Height 204cm

104kg Weight 104kg

2010 Stats for Season 2005

22 Games 25

8.1 Kicks Per Game 10.3

8.8 Handballs Per Game 6.1

16.9 Disposals Per Game 16.4

4.1 Marks Per Game 6.5

0.4 Goals Per Game 0.9

0.4 Behinds Per Game 0.1

1.7 Tackles Per Game 1.2

22.8 Hitouts Per Game 23.8

1.8 Frees For Per Game 1.9

1.4 Frees Against Per Game 0.9

*AFL stats

The 2010 Dean Cox had arguably more disposals on average than the 2005 Dean Cox. More tackles. Par on hit outs. Hardly not the player he was in 2005 I would suggest.

Like I posted earlier, it's amazing what people believe when the team struggles. He's the same player, and with the introduction of Naitanui and Nik Nat's game time, Cox has had to play lesser role than he once commanded. But he is every bit the same footballer as in 2005.

Still has scored less than a goal a game as he did in 2005 (albeit a higher average), but how dominant was the WCE outfit with their midfield back then, more forward i50's etc.

He'd be a better leader than he was in 2005 too. More durable & seasoned ? Arguably. Point is, Cox is every bit the player he was in 2005. If not, in some cases, more.

Note: Cox also finished 4th in the WCE B&F just 23 votes behind LeCras for the 2010 season. In 2005 he finished 3rd. Cox didn't make the top 10 in 2009.

(apologies for the lack of columns)

Edited by High Tower

I assumed fitness, but I also assumed form that they should have in 2011, including reasonable improvement of young players and the decline of older players.

I agree with this. Clearly some of the younger guns are likely to step it up in 2011. Not so sure about the 'decline' of older players. That would seem to me more of a case by case issue.

I would also factor in the chemistry and balance of the given teams. Certain players might be more complimented by the players and structure around them in our teams than in their actual AFL teams.

Just my opinion but I don't think it's just a matter of looking at where players finished in their 2010 club best and fairests and making a judgment based purely on that. It's more about the team as a unit and how they would fare against the other 9 sides over a season and more importantly in the heat of finals footy.

Edited by Range Rover

Just my opinion but I don't think it's just a matter of looking at where players finished in their 2010 club best and fairests and making a judgment based purely on that. It's more about the team as a unit and how they would fare against the other 9 sides over a season and more importantly in heat of finals footy.

Totally with you on that. Team balance I call it. Bit of grunt, bit of quality foot skills when the heat is on.

I've PM'd all the "captains" (outside of RR and HT who have already done it) requesting that they post their final teams in position with justification.

The judging deadline is Sunday midnight - it would be helpful if all the teams could be posted within 24 hours of now (the usual rule) i.e. Thursday 16/12 2:30pm. Missing that deadline will jeopardise your ranking with the judges.

Edited by old55

E25's FINAL 18

My focus was on:

- getting enough capable & mobile talls, but not too many

- talls that will contest in the air and at least bring the ball to ground

- versatility to switch the side up & create favourable matchups

- guys that could create drive out of defense

- guys that could deliver it into the forward line & create play

- creativity

- having guys that could switch into the ruck

- youth, but talented youth, that won't need a long time to develop

- a team to win not just in 2011, but 2011-2016

B: P. Ryder (Ess) / D. Morris (WB) / J. Toy (GC)

HB: J. Gram (Stk) / B. Reid (Coll) / H. Hartlett (PA)

C: R. Palmer (Freo) / A. Goodes (Syd) / N. Van Berlo (Adel)

HF: C. Sylvia (Melb) / J. Kennedy (WC) / S. Johnson (Geel)

F: B. Cunnington (NM) / M. Clark (Bris) / C. Rioli (Haw)

R: M. Kreuzer (Carl) / S. Pendlebury (Coll) / D. Martin (Rich)

Edited by e25

Eth38's Final Team

(team name yet to be finalised, still deciding whether I should stick with my SuperCoach name and go with 'Eth's Cheezballs'

B: J.Harbrow (GC), C.Garland (Melb), B.Rawlings (NM)

HB: J.Drummond (BL), T.Pears (Ess), L.Gilbee (WB)

C: N.Foley (Rich), L.Hodge (Haw) (capt.), K.Simpson (Carl)

HF: R.Gray (PA), T.Cloke (Coll), N.Fyfe (Frem)

F: S.Byrnes (Geel), T.Walker (Adel), S.Milne (St.K)

R: S.Mumford (Syd), L.Hayes (St.K) (v/c), M.Priddis (WC)

The Picks (in order)

Pick 8 - Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) (captain)

Up there with the likes of Ablett, Judd and Goddard as one of the best players in the AFL. Can play inside and outside, breaks lines, tackles and teammates' hands with his piercing kicks on both sides of the body. 2010 All-Australian captain, Hawthorn captain from 2011, and - most importantly - captain of this team.

Pick 13 - Lenny Hayes (St Kilda) (vice-captain)

The 29 year old former captain of the Saints was extremely unlucky to miss out on his fourth All-Australian selection this year, after tallying 19 votes in the Brownlow medal (eighth place) and winning a Norm Smith medal for being best afield in the first drawn Grand Final. He is a hard-nosed player who gives 110% for the whole game, every game, and will continue to do so being a vital part of our brilliant midfield.

Pick 28 - Shane Mumford (Syd)

The problem with such elite midfields is that it's tough to fit everyone into your salary cap. Geelong would now regret letting Mumford sign a million dollar contract to head up to Sydney, where he excelled at being more than a ruckman. His second and third efforts were fantastic and he recorded 101 tackles for the season, a statistic completely unmatched amongst the top five ruckmen of 2010.

Pick 33 - Travis Cloke (Coll)

The centre half forward of the 2010 premiers, Travis Cloke has emerged as one of the game's most dangerous forwards. Accuracy has been a talking point throughout his entire 124 game career, but over 7 marks a game over the past four years is an incredible feat. Won a Copeland trophy in his third year at Collingwood, aged 20. Plays well up the ground as well as being an imposing target, as shown by his 104 inside 50s in 2010. This will allow Taylor Walker to play closer to goal. Can also pinch-hit in the ruck.

Pick 48 - Tayte Pears (Ess)

One of the game's emerging young defenders - natural bias comes into play, but Essendon supporters are talking him up as better than Frawley. They also say he was in All-Australian form in his second season in 2009, at the age of 19. Although that wasn't the case, Pears is undoubtedly one of the most talented young defenders in the league with the ability to nullify any forward - Jonathan Brown, Daniel Bradshaw, Lance Franklin, you name it.

Pick 53 - Jarrod Harbrow (GC)

One of Gold Coast's 2010 uncontracted scalps, Harbrow is simply a very good small defender - he has the ability to shut down the opposition's small forward on a regular basis, yet he still provides drive and rebound with his pace and skill. Only 22 years of age, so he's only going to get better.

Pick 68 - Matthew Priddis (WCE)

The former rookie is one of the heads of a once powerful West Coast midfield. A stoppage machine, Priddis averaged 25 disposals and 7 tackles in 2010. Should match well with Foley in winning the clearances and Hodge, Gray and Simpson in linking outside.

Pick 73 - Robbie Gray (Port)

Medium forward with the ability to be rotated through the midfield. He has been limited with injury, but 70 goals in 46 games in an unsuccessful team shows he has talent. Set to be shifted to be midfield, and set to explode as a gun midfielder/forward. Comparisons with Gary Ablett Jr. have been made for his pace, evasiveness and contested work.

Pick 88 - Taylor Walker (Adel)

To summarise, Walker is simply everything you want in a young forward. Great contested mark who's doing everything right as Adelaide's main option inside 50. Only played 32 games, but 58 goals in his two years as a senior AFL player tells me he's got the goods. Will combine well with Travis Cloke.

Pick 93 - Josh Drummond (Bris)

Elite rebounding defender who was in stellar form prior to his ACL injury early in 2010. His lethal left foot provides great rebound out of defence, and he will become a vital part of this team because of this.

Pick 108 - Nathan Foley (Richmond)

Has been restricted with injury over the past two seasons, but you need to remember his selection in the All-Australian squad in his third season, two years after coming off the rookie list. A hard clearance machine, will work extremely well with Matt Priddis.

Pick 113 - Brady Rawlings (Nth)

Age hasn't wearied Rawlings, after he won his third Syd Barker medal this season. Damages opposition offensively and defnsively, tagging players out of the game whilst winning 623 possessions for himself this year. Performance on Stephen Hill must be remembered.

Pick 128 - Lindsay Gilbee (W B'dogs)

Great rebounder with a great kick. Has the ability to be an attacking option in the midfield rather than a defensive negater, but he is fantastic at both. Very experienced.

Pick 133 - Colin Garland (Melb)

Very good young key defender. Probably a little too short to take on the absolute monster forwards, but he can take most and limit the goals, which he does efficiently, every game.

Pick 148 - Kade Simpson (Carl)

Experienced midfielder, only second to Chris Judd at Carlton. Underrated, but injects pace and breaks lines. Is a valuable member of the team because of these attributes.

Pick 153 - Shannon Byrnes (Geel)

Sneaky medium forward, can play through the midfield, but best at kicking goals, and does so on a regular basis. With all the talent running through the midfield, should win plenty of ball and kick plenty of goals.

Pick 168 - Nathan Fyfe (Frem)

Only 19, but adds youth and talent to the team. Great footy brain, reads the play well and has a natural goal sense. Also a great kick and a courageous mark.

Pick 173 - Stephen Milne (St.K)

Look, most (all) of us hate him, but any small forward going at over 2 goals a game having played 213 games is a very very good player. Great goalsneak, great kick.

In summary

I believe this team is right in its prime to capture multiple premierships. A young, but electric spine, combined with the hardened and tough experience of Hodge, Hayes and co. should combine brilliantly, as shown by the average age of 25 years 101 days and an average of 107 games per player. The youth at both ends of the ground will provide liveliness while mixing with experienced heads such as Brady Rawlings and Stephen Milne. Excluding Hayes, the midfield is all around the average age, so they will continue to excite for the next five years, at least.

Edited by eth38

DAFC

B: S.Selwood(WCE) D.Merrett(Bris) C.Brown(GC)

HB: B.Deledio(Rich) M.Scarlett(Geel) N.Malceski(Syd)

C: N.Dal Santo(St.K) T.Boak(Port) C.Bateman(Haw)

HF: D.Motlop(Port) L.Hansen(North) R.Petterd(Melb)

F: H.Ballantyne(Freo) B.Hall(WB) C.Dawes(Coll)

R: D.Hille(Ess) *C.Judd(Carl) B.Vince(Adel)

*Captain

Wildcard

Pick 005 - Chris Judd Carlton

Had to get a superstar early, and to get a Norm Smith medallist, 2 time Brownlow winner, 5 time B&F winner that has now dragged 2 teams across the line every other week, is an absolute bargain at 5. Enough said.

Pick 016 - David Hille Essendon

Realising early there was SFA I wanted at Essendon after Hille, I thought I'd secure him with my second pick.

I rate him highly and Essendon don't win without him. Now that I've taken him, let's hope they never win again.

Pick 025 - Matthew Scarlett Geelong

Was always going to be my first choice KPD. Will go down as a legend of the game. The general of my backline controversially named at CHB.

He's there to provide leadership, defence and rebound. If some shifty opposition coach wants to run him off his legs, he can simply swap with Merrett, Deledio or C.Brown.

Pick 036 - Barry Hall Western Bulldogs

Premiership forward, always up there in the Coleman medal, just had a very good season. He looked like a new man with the delivery he was getting at the dogs, just watch him kick 120 with the quality I've surrounded him with.

Oh, and I will not hesitate in instructing him to kill any annoying defender.

Pick 045 - Brett Deledio Richmond

Always my first pick at Richmond. Extremely happy to get him at 45. Needed pace, size and quality delivery off half back, so he was really the only interest I had at Richmond. Can rotate through the middle.

Pick 056 - Travis Boak Port Adelaide

With the early theme being pick the gems from the piles O shyte, I believe I did it again here.

Pace, ball winner, ball user, can lay a few tackles. Young and still on the up. Would shine even in my midfield.

Pick 065 - Lachlan Hansen North Melbourne

My youngest KPP, I thought I'd take a punt on him at CHF. Can also play CHB. Again there wasn't much at North that filled the positions I had pencilled (can't believe Zeibell wasn't taken though), and Lachie has shown me enough to suggest he'll be a very good KPP. Can also swap with Dawes if need be.

Pick 076 - Daniel Merrett - Brisbane

Needed another KPD, and I'm a fan of big Dan. Very quick for his huge frame, can play on quick medium/small forwards. Clarke would've been a good pick for CHF, but I think Hansen will be better, so I settled on filling KPD's with Merrett.

Pick 085 - Nick Dal Santo St Kilda

A bargain. Outside class that thrives in a good midfield. Was extremely happy to pick him up after securing Judd, Boak and Deledio.

Pick 096 - Nick Malceski Sydney

Would have been happy with Jack or Hannebury, went with Malceski because his rebound, pace and delivery off half back are what I really want. Bit of dash between he and Deledio.

Pick 105 - Bernie Vince Adelaide

Again, very happy to get him into my midfield. Wins the ball, he's tough, he kicks goals.

Pick 116 - Campbell Brown Gold Coast

Wasn't quite sure if he'd be taken, I wanted Harbrow, but of course he was an early pick. If someone did take C.Brown, I'd be left with a speculative pick. So I took a proven hard nut defender, often very good one at that. I think the fact that he's easy to hate makes people write him off a tad early, he'll have a good 2011.

Pick 125 - Hayden Ballantyne - Fremantle

With the cream of Fremantle licked up fast, this was a good pick considering my needs. Needed a small, annoying crumbing forward to feed off Baz and Hansen and HB fit the bill.

Pick 136 - Chance Bateman Hawthorn

More speed and delivery. Burgoyne was goyne so I took the bate, man, and took a chance on Bateman. (sorry)

Pick 145 - Chris Dawes Collingwood

Very nice late pick, good foil for Barry, if they're a car accident waiting to happen I hope one of your defenders is in the middle of it.

I went with 2 big men on the FF line because Ballantyne and Motlop (assumed no one would take him) would be able to crumb, as well as Boak, Vince and Judd seizing any opportunities to rove one.

Pick 156 - Ricky Petterd Melbourne

Was very happy he was still around, I missed Sylvia, and Green, Petterd was my 3rd pick for the HFL. The Max Rooke of my premiership team. Already good and will get better. Dangerous in the air, goal assists and good defensive pressure.

Pick 165 - Scott Selwood West Coast

Rubbish.

Pick 176 - Daniel Motlop Port Adelaide

Wildcard.

I'm a big fan, always have been. Gives me Xfactor up forward, does it on ground and in the air, as skilled as anyone.

Summary.

Backs

The modern game requires speed and a good half back line. I drafted accordingly. You can argue that Scarlett doesn't have the motor for CHB, I'll argue that you're underrating a professional athlete. Plus there are options in Deledio, Merrett and Hansen.

Scott Selwood is the obvious weakest link, but let's be real, it's the back pocket...

Mids

Speed, class, big possession getters, goal kickers. There's no real enforcer / annoying [censored] in there, but most of them get their own ball and they all know how to use it.

A ruckman that uses his body well and uses the ball even better, also kicks goals.

Forwards

It's a nice mix of old and new, grunt and X factor.

2 talls that can lead or crash a pack. An annoying small that gets front and square and knows where the goals are. 2 flankers that are capable in the air and on the ground and can push up the ground or closer to goal.

Overall I think it's a very well balanced team, speed and precision off half back and midfield extremely hard to shut down and too much scoring power for any of these other fools to handle.

Ox's Oxen

B: J.Gibson (Haw), C.Tarrant (Coll), S.Thompson (Nth)

HB: J.Winderlich (Ess), H.Taylor (Gee), C.Enright*(Gee)

C: S.Black (Bris), D.Kerr (WC), D.Pearce (Port)

HF: S.Higgins (WB), N.Riewoldt** (Stk), J.Porplyzia (Adel)

F: L.Jurrah (Melb), J.Riewoldt (Rich), L.Jetta (Syd)

R: R.Warnock (Carl), M.Barlow (Freo), M.Rischitelli (GC)

** Captain

* Wildcard

9 – Nick Riewoldt

Captain of the team who would have won the grand final this year if the ball had bounced the right way for the Milne. Suffered a massive injury blow in 2010, but came back and proved he still has the freakish athletic ability he is known for. The best CHF in the league, he will grind down any backman over the course of a game with his repeat efforts. Straightens us up and is one of my many forward targets who can tear open the game. Avg 2.8 goals and 8 marks per game in 2010.

12 – Jack Riewoldt

Coleman medallist with 78 goals in 2010 for his break out year in a team giving him rubbish delivery. With the class surrounding him he will no doubt push the ton. Hard working, high flying and consistent, he could claim the title of best full forward in the league as All Australian FF in 2010. If he isn’t already, he will be soon. His outstanding repeat efforts when the ball hits the ground, as well as his forward pressure make him a worry for any backline. Not to forget he will most likely stand on your head at least once a game. Avg 3.5 goals, 6 marks and 3 tackles per game.

29 – Harry Taylor

All Australian CHB adds my third key tall and you couldn’t really ask for anybody better. Multi dimensional, his ability to get from contest to contest and affect a spoil is undoubtedly one of the best in the game. Strong in the contest, his contested marking is also a feature. Burst onto the scene and has not looked back after being given a crack as a mature age recruit. 2 time AA and a rock solid CHB. Avg 7 marks per game.

32 – Simon Black

I went early with Black, one of the reasons being the lack of depth at Brisbane. But more importantly, his class and ability is undeniable. Still a game breaker, and clearance work is superb. One of the most decorated players in the game, he is a Brownlow medallist, 2 times runner up and norm smith medallist. Big game player and super consistent. Turning 32 in 2011, he is in the twilight of his career, yet his body is strong, having played 18 games in 2010. Avg 25 disposals and 4.5 clearances per game.

49 – Corey Enright

Another AA player to add to the line up. Silky, classy HBF who provides superb drive from defence, whilst also locking down any dangerous opponent I send him too. Can push into the midfield to assist with rotations and is just simply hard to stop. Another player who is footy smart. Great pick at 49, and I didn’t think he would last this long. Took him as my wildcard. Avg 26 disposals and 4 rebound 50s per game.

52 – Liam Jurrah

X Factor. We all know that he is very very hard to stop, and even if he does not have a massive game, he will still either kick a couple of goals or set up a few. He is worth his weight in gold to my forward line, and you all know it. Along with Jack, he will have opposition defenders fearing for their safety with a high ball coming in. Hell, it doesn’t even need to be a high ball, he will still jump over your head. Nothing more to say really, you all know he is a gun. Avg 2.6 goals and 1 screamer per game.

69 – Michael Barlow

The find of 2010. From the VFL to top 10 Brownlow favouritism in his first year, finishing with 12 votes from 13 games in his first season. If he didn’t get injured I have no doubt he would have pushed 20 votes such was his dominance. A ball magnet that breaks lines and uses the ball well. Also kicks goals, a great addition to my midfield. I have no concerns about his leg as from all reports he is ripping through any test possible and is on track for round 1. Avg 28 disposals, 4 clearances and 1 goal per game.

72 – Michael Rischitelli

Ex-Brisbane B&F who will add much needed experience and drive to the GC midfield. About to hit his prime and will only get better. Another great addition to my midfield who will provide run and run and run. Avg 24 disposals per game.

89 – Danyle Pearce

Dashing and speedy winger who can also provide much needed drive off half back. A real talent, also reaching the prime of his career. A former rookie who is clearly in Ports best players, he will look to add more consistency to his game in 2011. He doesn’t need to get a pile of possessions to have an impact on the game. Avg 20 disposals and 5 inside 50’s per game.

92 – Jason Winderlich

Lets be honest, I didn’t want any Essendon player. But if I was to take one I was happy to get Winderlich. Another with great pace and run, he breaks lines and can break down zones. Can push up onto the wing if required. Avg 22 disposals per game.

109 – Jason Porplyzia

The man affectionately dubbed the Porpoise seemed to get his body right in 2010, playing 19 games. He can play either high across half forward or out of the square, he is hard to match up on as he is extremely good in the air for his size whilst being able to weave magic when the ball is at ground level. Another dimension to my already potent forward line. Avg 15 disposals, 4 marks and 1 goal per game.

112 – Robbie Warnock

Extremely athletic for his height, this lanky kid needs to add bulk to his frame but has shown he can compete at the top level. Was touted by many as the next big thing in ruckwork but was slow to get going in 2010 after injury slowed his season. Needs to step up in 2011 and I feel he can, he really does need to show he is worth the dollars he is being paid. I have no doubt he will deliver. Avg 18 hit outs per game.

129 – Chris Tarrant

Good judges were saying this man was in line for AA full back until injury curtailed his season. Refreshed and recovered, he has come back to Victoria to complete his career at the club he started. He can play on talls or smalls, and beat them. Has great pace and another who can read the play extremely well. He could push forward to stretch defences even further. But really, with my forward line, I wouldn’t need him. Avg 11 disposals and 3 marks per game.

132 – Shaun Higgins

Reaching the stage of his career where he looks just about ready to step up to the next level. Has a wonderful all round game and can push into the middle as his fitness improves. Class personified. Will step up into the leadership group of the Bulldogs in 2011 and in doing so will take his game to the level, proving himself as an A grader. Avg 20 disposals and 1 goal per game.

149 – Josh Gibson

He gives me a bit of flexibility. He can play on talls and smalls and also has a great left boot. He needs to get fitter to be able to provide more drive from half back and utilise his left boot to break the lines. As he gets fitter he will be able to run to space better and get more of the ball. Avg 15 disposals and 2 rebound 50’s per game.

152 – Daniel Kerr

Injury put Daniel under the radar a bit in 2010. But he is still the better side of 30 (28) and still is classy, hard at it and just smart. A very clever footballer who can also rest in a FP and kick goals. His body will be right after being controlled through pre-season and he will push to get back to Brownlow medal contention form. He will further benefit from not having to do all the leg work like at the Eagles. Avg 20 disposals per game in 2010, but we know he can do much more.

169 – Lewis Jetta

This kid could be anything. Another with X factor who has pace to burn. Will push up onto the wing and along with Jurrah, be given freedom to play his natural game. Can turn nothing into something and will continue to give headaches to opposition week in week out. Now that he has found the big sticks he will provide goals, forward pressure and class to my side. With a greater fitness base he will also have spurts in the middle where he will bamboozle with his awareness and ability to find space. Avg 14 disposals per game and should have been more goals.

172 – Scott Thompson

The final piece of the puzzle. Another defender who has the versatility to play on talls and smalls and is dumb enough to put himself into dangerous situations often enough. Has a bit of [censored] about him which is always needed. By further developing his body and gaining more fitness, he will be able to improve his game and play a key role for my side. Avg 17 disposals per game.

Summary:

Backs - Solid and uncompromising. Players who get the job done and have the versatility to take on any forward line. 2 AA players are the generals. Happy with it, but not over the moon. There were a couple I missed but I feel these boys will just continue to get the job done. Solid.

Mids - Midfield is class. A good mix of experience and players reaching their prime. A ruckman who will continue to get better and wins more taps then he loses. He just needs to direct it to the likes of Black and Barlow and they will do the rest. Also have a few who can rotate through.

Forwards - The real strength. Hard workers, class, x factor - it has it all. Would be very very very hard to contain. You know it. Even if the midfield is contained on the rare occasion, all the players in this forward line don't need many opportunities to make the opposition pay. Great forward pressure. I have no doubt they will kick winning scores weekly.

I think that makes 6/10 final team lists posted.

With the D'land server change and downtime we might need to extend the teams deadline to midday Friday 17/12 and the judges deadline into next week say Tuesday 21/12 midnight.

Edited by old55

The Champion Team

B: C Newman (Rich) T Chaplin (Port) J Rivers (Melb)

HB D Rich (Bris) S Fisher(St Kilda) N Krakoeur (GC)

C R Douglas (Adel) K Jack (Syd) J Melksham (Ess)

HF A Didak (Coll) J Roughead (Haw) R Murphy (WB)

F M Le Cras (WCE) J Podsiadly# (Geel) E Betts (Carl)

R T Goldstein (North( J Selwood *(Geel) D Mundy (Free)

* Captain

# Wildcard

Pick 3 - Joel Selwood: I had only skimmed a couple of posts and didn't really know what this draft was about - just grabbed Selwood. In hindsight I would have done differently but could never be unhappy with him in my team. Gun midfielder and born leader. I have overlooked the experience of Chris Newman and gave the captaincy to JS.

Pick 18 - Mark Le Cras. Killing 2 birds with one stone - snaring the premier small forward of the comp and avoiding a West Coast spud later in the draft. West Coast intend using him in the midfield in 2011. So will I.

Pick 23 - Sam Fisher: Wanted a quality key defender that was just as good going the other way

Pick 38 - David Mundy: Sensational 2010 saw him emerge as the top midfielder for freo. Will complement Selwood very nicely. Also versatile. Won the B & F

Pick 43 - Jarred Roughead: Hunting for a key forward with Pick 43 and am happy with Roughead. Averaged 3 goals in 2010 despite goal kicking woes. I expect him to shine without Buddy in his way.

Pick 58 - J Podsiadly: Geelong struck gold with J Pod. A proven goal kicker after just one AFL season. Will work well with Roughy

Pick 63 - Chris Newman: OK starting to panic now about bottom of the ladder teams. Took Newman before the cupboard was bare. Solid, reliable backman who will relish playing in a backline that isn't bombarded.

Pick 78 - Alan Didak: Personally I think he's a tool but his footy speaks for itself. 4th in the B & F in the premiership team. Couldn't go past him. Freak

Pick 83 - Kieran Jack: A brilliant 2010 where he stamped his name on the game. My midfield is looking very strong. Won the Swan's B & F. Surprisingly, I found the depth at Sydney to be pretty good.

Pick 98 - Troy Chaplin. I was happy to get him as my full back with this pick. Does the job. So regarded, he came second in Port's B & F

Pick 103 - Eddie Betts. I'm starting to think I'm in small forward heaven with Le Cras, Didak and Betts

Pick 118 - Daniel Rich. 2009 Rising Star winner. Had a quieter 2010 as did the whole team. I considered M Clark based on his 2009 given his 2010 season was largely ruined by OP.

Pick 123 - Robert Murphy. I'd wanted Dale Morris for the back line but he was long gone as was Boyd, another consideration. I looked at Gilbee and finally went with Murphy. He had a good year after ongoing injuries. I took him for his versatility as a forward or back and because he can play tall or small. I also like Higgins but too injury prone. Getting very nervous about Essendon. Murphy backed up his year with a 5th in the B & F

Pick 138 - Richard Douglas. Very happy to nab the 2010 B&F winner with this pick. He's a good defensive forward and tackling machine. He will also spend time in the midfield.

Pick 143 - Jared Rivers. I wanted Garland, then Scully but settled on Rivers in the end (given I was short on defenders). His second half of 2010 was telling and while I'm sacrificing leg speed, I've got one of the best spoilers and last-line of defence, goal-saving, death defying markers of the game.

Pick 158 - Jake Melksham. Let's face it - Essendon is a spudfest. I was more than happy to go with Melksham on what he showed in 14 games. He will be a gem in years to come. I didn't want to rule him out just because he's a second year player - considering Collingwood's youth contingency

Pick 163 - Nathan Krakoeur. I need more speed and he has it. He's over his OP and doing a full preseason with the Suns. He hasn't been on the park too much but the talent and skill of the Krakoeur cant be taken lightly. I've seen enough to know he will excel and so have Gold Coast. Still up there with the record holders for the 20m sprint.

Pick 178 - Todd Goldstein. Like High Tower, I knew I could leave him until my last pick as only High Tower needed a ruckman and had used his North pick. Very happy to have him. He went past McIntosh in 2010 and presents as a quality ruckman. Can and does go forward to boot. 7th in the Roos B&F

Backs - Solid backline without being stunning. I expect some creativity from Fisher, some rebound and speed from Krakoeur and that left foot of Rich as the icing on the cake. The weakest area of the team but not a pushover by any means. Can switch Murphy, Mundy and Roughead back as needed. Very happy with the keys.

Mids - There's no weaknesses here. I'm completely sold on the Selwood, Mundy, Jack core with cameos from Le Cras, Douglas, Didak and gradually Melksham. Goldstein caps it off after a break-out 2010

Forwards - I've said it before, I'll say it again - small forward heaven in Betts, Le Cras, Didak plus the defensive pressure of Douglas and the goal kicking machine J-Pod. Roughead will give 3 goals a game and potentially more if he finds the big sticks

Five B&F winners in my team - Selwood, Mundy, Douglas, Le Cras and Jack (Chaplin 2nd and Murphy 5th) = FORM!

Edited by Roger Mellie