INDIGENE - THE SERIES

Demonland

I can't understand the bit about Moloney? One of the best clearance players in the AFL polled 19 brownlow votes and won our B&F. He is a gun player and will be in or best players for years to come. THe thing is Moloney's year would have been much better if guys like Davey and Green stepped up.

Hopefully Davey can get back to his best. A lot of issues are mental ones. Can't handle a tag, sulks far to easy. Doesn't work hard enough and is generally scared. I really wish this coming year was the last of his contract. (not sure when but i do think he was given a nice 4 year deal) As it seems after he signed the big deal he has dropped off.

SHould be on the trade table or involved to get GC under 17's.

• Like 1

Maldonboy,

You're right. I wasn't fair to Moloney in making my point about Davey. It's a great Norm Smith list. With the exception of Embley (I was at that GF and Adam Goodes was clearly best on ground, though at times this season Embley played better than I thought he could), and possibly Byron (much as I loved him), it's a list of absolute guns (Shaun Hart's game was just before my time and beyond my ken). Moloney is as hard as many of them, but not yet as good as any of them. I hope Davey keeps getting harder and Moloney keeps getting better.

Great to see so many others keen to see Aaron Davey rise again next year.

A17.

I think that Davey still needs to be 'coached'. He struggles to break a heavy tag and all the other clubs have been alerted to this.

Neeld will hopefully have a plan that will have him protected (by a Moloney type) or a set play that will see him run into space. I know it's easy to write all this, much harder to execute.

Having said that, AFL footy is all about structure and discipline. At the end of the day, the team needs the ball in Davey's hands. I hope he can get his body right.

I would have expected that Neeld will have a plan that be for the ultimate success of the team and Davey would show the maturity and capability to contribute positively toward team success. Its a good point about what you say about structure and discipline. Davey showed little of that this year. He was embarrassing. He needs to get his head right as much as his body if not more.

Anthony, I hope you are right. I thought Davey's year was awful. His body language did suck. His effort came and went. All sorts of stuff can be going on that the average supporter cannot and need not know...so what we see is all we have to make decisions on. Much like Brad Green, Davey had a year that fell way way way below standards that he (and us) set. No-one hopes he is finished, and everyone would hope that he has a better year next year.

Davey's year was appallingly bad and his behaviour on the field was cheap, immature and selfish. He needs to concentrate on his football and he not a leaders bootlace.

He cannot afford any more 2011 like performances in 2012. He burned alot of credits this year. Time is ticking.

I can't understand the bit about Moloney? One of the best clearance players in the AFL polled 19 brownlow votes and won our B&F. He is a gun player and will be in or best players for years to come. THe thing is Moloney's year would have been much better if guys like Davey and Green stepped up.

Moloney is a flat track bully that monsters weak and immature midfields and get spotted for lack of class against top opposition. We need the younger class in our midfield to usurp the standard Beamer achieves. I dont Davey or Green's years had a notable impact on Beamer. The absence of Jamar at times robbed Moloney of any oxygen at times.

Hopefully Davey can get back to his best. A lot of issues are mental ones. Can't handle a tag, sulks far to easy. Doesn't work hard enough and is generally scared. I really wish this coming year was the last of his contract. (not sure when but i do think he was given a nice 4 year deal) As it seems after he signed the big deal he has dropped off.

SHould be on the trade table or involved to get GC under 17's.

A bit harsh PJ.

I have confidence that the rise of the club under the new management and coaching structure will see Flash return to his best. The bloke has been hassled without relent over the last couple of seasons and his team mates have not been switched on, skilled enough, structured enough nor tough enough to intervene.

The hardest team to play in the afl will require players like Davey.

• Like 1

"The hardest team to play in the afl will require players like Davey." - Kick it LONG

My point exactly (only more succinctly).

And we need more of them. In the end it's all about the talent, good and hard. As hard as Moloney is, and as good as Davey is (at or near his best), and even as quickly as Trengove and Watts are becoming players of real quality, right now there are at least five players at each of Hawthorn, Collingwood and Geelong who, if they joined Melbourne, would be clearly our best player.

In no particular order, and these are by no means exhaustive lists:

- Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli, Burgoyne, Roughead

- Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Davis, Ball, Reid

- Bartell, Selwood, Johnson, Chapman, Scarlett, Kelly.

You could probably do something similarly disturbing with St Kilda's list, and perhaps even the Dogs'.

Nice piece anthony.

I think most here would love to see Aaron back to his exciting skilled best....I know I would

I think part of the angst shown to Aaron this year is as much a frustration of the whole year, the whole team and the lack of contribution from many senior players

That covers it well DC.

My problem Is I think Davey has been on the wane for a couple of years.

IMO he always had 2 main things going for him

- Speed, this has been dropping the last couple of years. He now gets caught a lot more and I do not see him getting faster at the age of 28 next year.

- kicking, he used to be the best kick in the team i.e. delivery ever kick hit someone. That skill seems to have dropped substantially.

On top of these problems teams have worked out a close tag takes him out of the game.

I hope he returns to 2009 form but I am struggling with the chance of it actually happeneing.

If it came to pass that we did a "Trapper" with him I would be sad

But it might just be the best way to get value out of him post 2011.

In a good team he could be valuable

Davey has talent, but he is not a naturally aerobic athlete. As soon as he had his season and preseason interrupted he started losing fitness and he's just not a good enough runner to make up for it.

The game requires repeat efforts now, which is also not Davey's natural strength.

I think this has led Davey to search for the easy kicks, running around behind players trying to receive the ball to use his great footskills. But he's a much better player when he can use his speed to win the footy himself. He went away from winning his own footy this year and I think that was the biggest difference between his good footy and bad footy.

He ranked 22nd at the club for average contested possessions per game. He was in front of only Morton and Evans in terms of midfielders. For a senior player that isn't good enough.

Hopefully he can get a full preseason, because I think he needs it more than most.

• Like 1

He was out of contract in 2009, think he got 4 years - expect a big year in 2013.

I thought it was 3 years which would mean 2012 is the last but you could be right.

Either way 2012 would need to be a lot better than this year or it will be all over IMO

He was out of contract in 2009, think he got 4 years - expect a big year in 2013.

I have him down as 2013.

Aaron will turn 29Yrs mid next season.

Contracted to End of 2013

Aaron Davey

Max Gawn

Jack Grimes

Jordan Gysberts

Stefan Martin

Cale Morton

Colin Sylvia

Jack Watts

Edited by dee-luded

It was a disgrace on his behalf that he wasn't even selected in rd 24 v Port, after his suspension.

Yes he didn't deserve a game, but a bloke of his callibre should be one of the first selected, not sitting around doing bugger all.

Hyperbole at best. "Yes he didn't deserve a game"..... Hmmm.

It was especially sad to see echoed here through the year the character assassination handed out to Davey by Luke Darcy on one Channel 10 broadcast (and from what I saw, Luke Darcy, aside from being a not very illuminating broadcaster with a terrible haircut, was as a footballer little more than a glorified netballer, just a long streak of mediocrity like Harley and Maxwell behind him). Now he uses the microphone as a bully pulpit, and a half-lame Aaron Davey was a very soft target. All that BS about body language and effort, pointing to a single, misjudged contest. Anybody who genuinely thinks or actually said Aaron Davey wasn’t trying in that match or in this season is a poor judge of both football and character or at best is relying on lazy truisms and generalisations.

Play the man, not the ball.

Davey's effort was terrible and he deserved to be called out. If I remember correctly, I think it one of the coaches said that Davey was embarassed.

Anyway, if Melbourne are to contend next year they do in fact need the Moloney-types more than the Davey types, because Davey is icing and without cake it doesn't matter how much icing you have.

Davey's effort was terrible and he deserved to be called out. If I remember correctly, I think it one of the coaches said that Davey was embarassed.

Anyway, if Melbourne are to contend next year they do in fact need the Moloney-types more than the Davey types, because Davey is icing and without cake it doesn't matter how much icing you have.

In fact, too much icing just gives you a headache...

Davey was a more valuable player in his formative years as a pressure forward than at any point afterwards including his B&F win. His performances last year were for me a constant reminder of the soft and selfish Melbourne culture that we are slowly ridding ourself of. As was raised many a time by Hannibal players like Davey rarely win you finals. I would not be concerned in the slightest if we traded him but doubt this would occur. I hope a new coach will bring out some of the initial selflessness and defensive game he once possessed.

Guest The Exorcist

Nice fluff piece but the fact is this player has been living off past glories for two years.

If you can't break a tag and are easily 'spooked' as Davey seems to be then you can't play midfield at this level.

That spells danger for his spot in the side because there are now plenty of other suitors lining up for his spot in the team.

It's up to him now. He can fade away or storm back onto the scene. If he plays like he did this year he has no place at the new, harder MFC.

I am prepared to back Flash in to return to former glories in 2012

Massive Pre-Season required & a permanent return to his small forward crumbing role & he will respond.

Lets back in Neeld, Misson , Craig & New Forward Coach to go to work on Aaron.

& who know's who he might be crumbing too in 2012?

Edited by Old Man Rivers
  • Like 1

Spot on Rogue. Skill is no use at all without fortitude.

I'm only an occasional visitor to Demonland (longtime lurker, first-time poster as they'd say on the radio), and I generally enjoy the passion of the site and the wit and insight of many of the posters. However, I was disappointed to return recently and see Aaron Davey's image removed from the banner above, yet unsurprised given the steady knock on him here and elsewhere through the year.

Anthony,

Thanks for your well thought out comments re Aaron Davey. His image was removed from the banner for no other reason that we like to update it from time to time with the current in-form players. Like you, we hope that he is spurred on by the disappointments of season 2011 and by the new coaching and fitness people at the club to a return to fitness and his former best form.

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

INDIGINE - PART TEN by Whispering Jack

Austin Wonaeamirri was born on 2 October, 1988 in the remote community of Snake Bay and Milikapiti, on Melville Islands, part of the Tiwi Islands to the north of Darwin which produced the legendary VFL/AFL Rioli family (to who he is closely related) and dual Essendon premiership player Michael Long. He lost his mother at the age of 12 and was brought up by his father, Matthew, who tragically passed away last year in a car accident.

Young Austin graduated from the local competition to Northern Territory Football League club St Marys Football Club and from there was picked in the inaugural list of the Tiwi Bombers NTFL as one of its youngest stars. He was overlooked in the 2006 AFL Draft and moved to Adelaide to play for SANFL club Norwood in 2007. That year, he was voted as the Northern Territory's best player AFL National Under 18 Championships and, after being overlooked again in the national draft, he was snapped up three weeks later by Melbourne at number 19 in the rookie draft.

Wonaeamirri wasted no time convincing selectors that his ballwinning ability and skills on both sides of the body and his pace and ability to apply forward line pressure were of value to the club and, when Jack Grimes was placed on the long term injury list, he made his debut in round 3, 2008 against Geelong as a small crumbing forward. 

He was soon among the goals and a highlight was his performance in Melbourne's stunning round 7 comeback from 51 points down against Fremantle at the MCG when he kicked four goals including three in the final quarter which earned him an AFL Rising Star Award nomination. He also gained instant fame and recognition for the enthusiastic celebration of his goals which made him an overnight cult figure. 

Who could forget the scenes later in the season against Brisbane when, in front of his father Matthew who was guest of new club chairman Jimmy Stynes, "Aussie" starred in another upset Demon victory?

A loss of weight and a change of guernsey number 39 to 33 at the start of 2009 saw him star early with two goals for the Indigenous All-Stars but hamstring and knee injuries restricted his second season at the club. He was plagued again by hamstring injuries in 2010 but came back for the last six games before tragedy struck his life in the off season with the death of his father Matthew in a car accident followed a little over a month later by the passing of his mentor and cousin Maurice Rioli at the young age of 50 from a heart attack. 

Wonaeamirri struggled on his return to Melbourne and was granted a leave of absence to return to the Tiwi Islands to mourn and spend time in the solace of his home with his family hunting turtles and coming to terms with his losses. On his return through Casey, he injured his ankle and required an operation.

It is hoped he will come back better than ever in 2012 and recapture the form of his early days as a Demon. The 176cm, 80kg forward has played 31 games and kicked 37 in his all too brief career to date and we await his return to centre stage with great anticipation.

Melbourne drafted Bunbury teenage indigenous players Jamie Bennell and Neville Jetta at the 2008 national draft with picks 35 and 51 respectively. The pair had played alongside each other since primary school and later for WAFL club Swan Districts. They debuted together for the Demons in the opening round of the 2009 AFL season. 

The 179cm, 73kg Bennell, was predominantly played across half back at Melbourne in his first season but was moved to attack where he showed promise as a pacy crumbing forward, booting four goals in one game against Port Adelaide in Darwin. He also earned nominations for both Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year in the Round 7 loss to the Western Bulldogs.   

This year he spent more time down back and struggled at times although he passed the 50 game mark late in the season. He was used as the Substitute three times and also spent some time with the Casey Scorpions in the VFL.  

A 180cm, 81kg small forward, Neville Jetta played the first five matches of the 2009 and fifteen in total for the season but was plagued by a groin injury early in the following season and played six games before a drop in form saw him back in the VFL where he injured his shoulder. In  2011 he struggled for consistency and played only nine games returning to his best in the last two matches of the year. He required further surgery on his shoulder at the end of the season and is looking forward to better things in 2012.

Jetta's cousin Kelvin Lawrence is also at the club having been rookie listed from Western Australia at the end of the year. The clever young speedster impressed at times but is yet to make his AFL debut.

TO BE CONTINUED

This series is written in honour of the late Matthew Wonaeamirri, father of current Melbourne player Austin. Our hearts go out to all of the family.