Quigley's Phantom Draft on BF

e25

Quigley on BigFooty seems to be well respected and this Phantom Draft would demonstrate why.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774682

ignore the order, as his strange method is not indicative of where the players will likely go, but his analysis of the draftees is incredible.

Of the players I know anything about, he seems to have them pretty much spot on.

Some opinions I disagree with, but I can see where he is coming from, it's more a difference of opinion on the importance of certain aspects of the game.

I suggest, if you want to know more about a player, find him in there and it will give you a much better idea.

On the topic of the draft overall, he touches on some things that didn't occur to me, but seem obvious now.

This draft is not full of elite kicks, it is a very good year for inside mids & there are a handful of top order KPP then the most of the rest are late projects.

My effort absolutely pales in comparison.

He knows the players available inside out.

Picking which teams will go for what and where is where he falls down.

He gets some things bang on, but overall his order seems a bit out of whack.

& I wouldn't be unhappy with Lycett.

I just still hold hope we'll get a proper slider.

Edited by E25

It's a massive read.

It's good that he lists the players in the order he likes them - that's what you should try to do in a phantom.

In the big picture it's not how close you get to the actual draft order, it's how you rate the players - club recruiters can get it wrong too.

The important thing to look at when rating these phantoms is to look back at the player descriptions from previous effort and see how they panned out.

Something I can't be bothered doing and seemingly neither can anyone else. Look at his 2007 effort and see how it panned out, that would be the best indicator of worth.

There's a lot of fawning over detailed description on BigFooty and elsewhere ...

Yeah, but being able to see how a kid plays and articulate it is obviously a rare skill.

I couldn't have done it as well as he has in some cases.

Yeah but is it accurate? That's all that matters.

"A" for effort? - here's 50c.

Here's his 2008 effort, that's the earliest available on BF that I can find even though he goes back further - it's still early to make a definitive call on a lot of these players - make up your own mind about his assessments

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518477

Edited by old55

Can't find his 07 offering, but his 08 effort looks good.

Mentions at the beginning that he omitted Strauss unlike others purely because he doesn't rate him...

Not a bad effort.

Swift at 7, Mitch Robinson at 9 both hurt him.

The thing is, for an amatuer, or any lone recruiter, it is impossible to know & cover all of the kids out there.

You're going to miss some.

The analysis of the players he has seen is what I'm more interested in.

He seems to have nailed Watts.

His summary on Josh Walker is exactly my summation of the kid.

I really hope we pick him up with late pick.

His 2009 mock is ok (though he didn't rate Gysberts very highly)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16379176

Quite frankly there's either a liberal dose of bullshitting in these phantoms or they're somewhere beyond tragic into the creepy.

It just can't be healthy to watch enough U18 football all over the country to be able to make an informed assesment of 100 players - just for "fun".

• 4 weeks later...

Not impressed.

The fact that he produces a great amount of verbiage in describing players I'm not sure if he's describing them directly from his own observations. He seems to be drawing a lot on Kevin Sheehan's descriptions when he goes on about Lucas Cook and his reading of the ball in flight when going for his marks. I'm not sure if it matches the reality based on what I've seen of Cook whi is a good mark.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.