List Lodgement One

mordja

i agree that we do not need another project ruckman.

we need a big strong bodied full forward - currently we have no one

we need a decent established ruck that can play a role as relief ruckman that can kick a goal and hurt opposition when he is on. - currently we have no one

we need a running defender with good skills and decision making and can defend, to free up grimes - currently we have grimes but need to free him up, also have bail but need an elite player.

we need a good small forward to rome the feet of the packs - we have jetta and maric - wonna is good but needs help, davey can do it but needed elsewhere as well.

we need a good shut down player - currently we have jones who looks slow at times

we need a good small defender to take the opposition small forward. - currently we have bartram whose kicking and decision making badly lets him down.

that is where our list can improve still a fair bit.

it all just means that jetta, martin, bruce, strauss, maric and bartram to a degree are all in the gun for next year. they all need to have good years to keep their spots.

Hi Hille, Agree with your last comment, not sure if I agree with some of your earlier comments.

I still think the forward line presents bigger problems than the backs.

Jury is still out for me with Wona and I don't believe Jetta/Maric are good enough.

They would be the first dropped next year unless they show a lot more in 2011

I want a big improvment from Watts in 2011.

Also what if Bruce Leaves?

That gives us five picks!

Edited by old dee

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

newton has had more come backs then Lazarus, maybe just maybe he does a Jamar and improves out of sight, weirder thing have happened before.

I don't mind him on the rookie list a reasonable bit of insurance.

In spite of what a lot think on Demonland he is not the worst player going round.

He is tall, reasonable weight, a good mark and a passable help out Ruckman.

Pity about his kicking for goal. ( he is however a long kick so all is not lost )

So everyone he is part of 2011 so lets get off his back, he will only get a gig if we have injuries to our big men!

I think Juice Newton should be renamed Phoenix Newton

7 years! This guy has got to be the luckiest footballer going around

As for insurance, once you deduct the excess you'll wonder why you bothered

My big hope is we pick up better insurance via the ND/RD/PSD, please at least some alternatives, I don't think I can go another Newton year

P.S. nothing personal against Newton, he just aint got it and I'd rather risk a long shot

OH Daisy he will only get a gig if there are big man injuries and as I said else where

He is there for 2011 so lets concentrate on people on the main list.

In my opinion there are 3-4 there that would need very big years in 2011!

PJ gone. Look out for Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor is insipid. I wouldn't put him on our list if he was the only remaining ruckman in the league and we were being paid to do it. He is terrible.

Speak for yourself. I think there's logic in this situation.

First rucks

The role of the first ruck is to be aggressive at contests and make sure our midfield have a very large body in the middle with them to help them win it out. Our first rucks are Jamar and Spencer. Bonus points if the first ruck can kick goals, but this is not his primary role. I believe if Jamar were to go down in 2011, Spencer's aggression and size will provide an adequate replacement (obviously he is no Jamar yet).

Second ruck

The role of the modern second ruck is to have short stints in the ruck while the first ruck rests, and provide a marking and goal kicking option in the forward line. This is the role we had earmarked for Hale, but given our failure to recruit him, we currently have nobody on the list who has taken this job by the throat. Potentials are Martin, Fitzpatrick and now Newton.

Newton might not make it, but he's got the attributes to - a high leap, capable of taking a mark, and can kick goals. He might not have done much of any of those at AFL level, but the physical attributes are there and he will be approaching mental maturity now. Retaining him allows us to hedge our bets on Martin (and Fitzpatrick to a degree), and we can do it for damn close to free - he was already delisted from the main list last year and he's already on the rookie list so we don't have to "find" him, or hope he'll still be there when our 7th or 8th draft pick comes around.

The other thing to consider is that this is a brand new role for Newton. He's currently in a reprogramming phase and given the hole in our list that he is being groomed to fill, I'm happy for the club to allow him some time to adjust. There's nobody else ready, so the risk is very low - rock bottom in fact - but the potential payoff is high.

So many people wanted to keep PJ as "insurance" - but we've got insurance for both rucks already.

First ruck: Jamar, insurance: Spencer

Second ruck: Martin, insurance: Newton

All true, but I doubt anyone has any confidence in him actually doing anything if/when he gets the chance.

I suspect we'll see Martin as the substitute in Round 1.

OH Daisy he will only get a gig if there are big man injuries and as I said else where

He is there for 2011 so lets concentrate on people on the main list.

In my opinion there are 3-4 there that would need very big years in 2011!

Old Dee I,ve gotta disagree with you re not getting a gig unless there are big man injuries

At the moment he is the 2ndRuck/Fwd. Thats why I said I hope the ND/RD/PSD throws up some alternatves

I don't mean to knock Newton, but you'd have to believe in fairies if you think it just won't be more of the same old

As you can tell, I am very disapponted

I've said it before: the best thing Newton has done for his career is agreeing to be delisted at the end of last year.

If he didn't do that he would be gone.

An aside to this is that there have been a fe false equivalencies. A spot on the VL is not the same as a rookie is not the same as a main list spot when it comes to this time of the year.

So statements like "Junior must be wondering what's going on when Newton is still on the list and he isn't" are not only unfair, they're not factually true.

Rhino! Aggggggggggh!

I'm sorry I said anything. I've lost my will to go on.

Good.

Speak for yourself. I think there's logic in this situation.

First rucks

Fair and reasoned assessment. A rarity when it comes to the discussion of Newton.

As for insurance, once you deduct the excess you'll wonder why you bothered

With Newton there is miniscule premium. And he is there as a long shot.

MFC may well be looking another seasoned big man.

But PJ was no insurance whatsoever.

An aside to this is that there have been a few false equivalencies. A spot on the VL is not the same as a rookie is not the same as a main list spot when it comes to this time of the year.

So statements like "Junior must be wondering what's going on when Newton is still on the list and he isn't" are not only unfair, they're not factually true.

Too true and the statement rather silly.

In years past we would have kept PJ on the list, because there was nobody else, but this is an example of the new direction.

To win this club must be fair but ruthless. The guys delisted were given ample opportunities to impress.

Sadly they were not good enough, but now the club must open the doors to new prospects. B)

You say ruthless, yet they hang on to Newton who may well be a big body, possibly strong but yet to display any heart at all for a contest nor Footy smartshe has had what. 3 or is it 4 years to show something, anything at all yet other than one mark in a dead rubber, or worse, he has shown zilch!!!!

IMVHO McNamara though smaller is 100 times smarter and shows 1000 times more heart and endeavor. I would far prefer Tom to be fighting for my life than MN.

IMVHO McNamara though smaller is 100 times smarter and shows 1000 times more heart and endeavor. I would far prefer Tom to be fighting for my life than MN.

I'd agree with that but given that Newton isn't on our senior list we don't really have him fighting for our lives.

As 'rpfc' put it, being on the rookie list was ironically Newton's lifeline - we simply choose 1 less rookie in the RD and perhaps pay a little above the minimum rookie salary for Newton but that's about it. He doesn't hinder our preparation for the ND and having up to 4 picks. PJ did not have a long term future and McNamara in the eyes of the club was worth letting go for that 4th pick or PSD pick.

The moral of the story is that you play the cards you are delt.

You say ruthless, yet they hang on to Newton who may well be a big body, possibly strong but yet to display any heart at all for a contest nor Footy smartshe has had what. 3 or is it 4 years to show something, anything at all yet other than one mark in a dead rubber, or worse, he has shown zilch!!!!

He has got the 5th or 6th rookie list position.

Talk about blowing it out of proporion.

He has got the 5th or 6th rookie list position.

Talk about blowing it out of proporion.

but he's not on the rookie list because he's a rookie and needs development

in recent years there has generally been no problem playing a rookie list player

as a mature age player, for all intents and purposes he is on the list

he is a list clogger with no future who is depriving us of trying someone else

(P.S. i'm not saying its his personal fault re decision to keep him)

anyway I'll not say anymore about Newton, whats done is done, and i'm starting to sound like a player basher which i don't like. Maybe i'll have a word or two to Mary Mac instead (does she perform miracles on request of athiests?)

P.P.S. can you imagine what mess we would be in re rucking if the russian hadn't dramatically reversed his fortunes. not an area the fd has excelled in recently

really?

he is a list clogger with no future

clearly the FD don't agree with you

who is depriving us of trying someone else

Yep all those 200 gamers picked up at 90+ in the rookie draft

This is the point though.

he is a list clogger with no future who is depriving us of trying someone else

Depriving us of a 6th pick rookie - theoretically the least likely prospect on our entire list.