NFL

Dappa Dan

Yep, hangin' out for the season to start. Think cable covers a number of the practice games (not sure about OneHD)

Anyway ... this ESPN Doco has been screening on ESPN in the last few days but I noticed it's been posted up on Youtube. Interesting to look back at how Elway was a huge prospect in baseball and how the draft was 'tested'. Also made mention of a League that I'd never heard of ... The USFL (United States Football League) Both Elway and Marino came out of the same draft and this is their story ...

'Elway to Marino'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HqrM7KzByQ

Yep, hangin' out for the season to start. Think cable covers a number of the practice games (not sure about OneHD)

Anyway ... this ESPN Doco has been screening on ESPN in the last few days but I noticed it's been posted up on Youtube. Interesting to look back at how Elway was a huge prospect in baseball and how the draft was 'tested'. Also made mention of a League that I'd never heard of ... The USFL (United States Football League) Both Elway and Marino came out of the same draft and this is their story ...

'Elway to Marino'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HqrM7KzByQ

There is a great Doco from ESPN on the USFL. Some great players chose to play for the USFL instead of the NFL. Fans loved it as it was a bit more fun then the No Fun League. But Donald Trump was a owner and convinced other owners to go head to head with the NFL in the winter. It shows how much of a [censored] Trump is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85gq0tHwPk

• Like 1

Pencilled in my mate coming over Friday 6th for the first game of the season. Stuff the finals, I'll be watching the game. (Ill be IQ'ing it)

Got a mate who is a mad seahawk and he hasn't shut up about being a superbowl certainty. It's hard to argue with him about it. At the start of the AFL season we all do our predictions on here and it shows I know nothing about Footy. Maybe we should test our knowledge on the NFL a couple of weeks before the season kicks off.

Got a mate who is a mad seahawk and he hasn't shut up about being a superbowl certainty. It's hard to argue with him about it. At the start of the AFL season we all do our predictions on here and it shows I know nothing about Footy. Maybe we should test our knowledge on the NFL a couple of weeks before the season kicks off.

Yeah that's a good idea cfh, let's just embarrass ourselves even more so hey? :) But seriously, we could have a bit of a go at things such as Division winners, MVP, biggest improver, biggest fall in the standings, biggest controversy etc etc.

I was thinking of a weekly comp where we have to pick 3 winners in any given week with only 3 picks ... the proviso being that the tips all have to be visiting sides (or away sides) One point to anyone who gets it right .... contributing towards an overall winner (for the season) No prize - just the kudos! We could make it 4 or 5 picks to make it even more difficult! Entry is optional - if you forget or can't be bothered you just miss that week.

Might get a few more people contributing to the thread. Everyone loves a tipping comp! Just a thought.

• Like 1

Here's the cable schedule for the Preseason games ...

Fri 9th August 10am ... Cincinnati at Atlanta ESPN 2

Fri 16th August 10am ... San Diego at Chicago ESPN 2

Tues 20th August 10am ... Pittsburgh at Washington ESPN

Fri 23rd August 10am ... Carolina at Baltimore ESPN

It's not much although there might be some other games added at the last minute (OneHD may well be covering a few games) The above games will no doubt be replayed at night. Nothing scheduled for week 4 of the Preseason games (yet)

'Monday Night Countdown' precedes the scheduled Preseason games and 'NFL Live' returns as well.

Yeah that's a good idea cfh, let's just embarrass ourselves even more so hey? :) But seriously, we could have a bit of a go at things such as Division winners, MVP, biggest improver, biggest fall in the standings, biggest controversy etc etc.

I was thinking of a weekly comp where we have to pick 3 winners in any given week with only 3 picks ... the proviso being that the tips all have to be visiting sides (or away sides) One point to anyone who gets it right .... contributing towards an overall winner (for the season) No prize - just the kudos! We could make it 4 or 5 picks to make it even more difficult! Entry is optional - if you forget or can't be bothered you just miss that week.

Might get a few more people contributing to the thread. Everyone loves a tipping comp! Just a thought.

Spot on mate sounds like a great idea. I'm in for the tipping and season predictions.

Spot on mate sounds like a great idea. I'm in for the tipping and season predictions.

There are a surprising amount of away winners in the NFL. I counted up 7 or 8 away winners in 3 of the first 4 weeks last season. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. If enough people join in then we can keep it going - if not, no harm done.

Just a recap ... 1 point to anyone who gets all 3 (or 4?) right and we could also have a few 'bonus' weeks where 2 points are up for grabs. Keeping it small and straight forward is probably the best way to go. I remember Dappa, myself and 1 or 2 others having a go at all the games a couple of years ago but it took a bit of time. Just picking 3 or 4 away winners is far easier. Don't believe we need another thread for it either. I'd probably just keep it at 3 so that we can at least get 1 winner per week!

As for the season prediction, I've no doubt I'll make a complete mess of things again. I had the Eagles and Packers meeting in the NFC Championship game last season for instance. Can't remember any of my other predictions but they would have been way off the mark :)

There are a surprising amount of away winners in the NFL. I counted up 7 or 8 away winners in 3 of the first 4 weeks last season. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. If enough people join in then we can keep it going - if not, no harm done.

Just a recap ... 1 point to anyone who gets all 3 (or 4?) right and we could also have a few 'bonus' weeks where 2 points are up for grabs. Keeping it small and straight forward is probably the best way to go. I remember Dappa, myself and 1 or 2 others having a go at all the games a couple of years ago but it took a bit of time. Just picking 3 or 4 away winners is far easier. Don't believe we need another thread for it either. I'd probably just keep it at 3 so that we can at least get 1 winner per week!

As for the season prediction, I've no doubt I'll make a complete mess of things again. I had the Eagles and Packers meeting in the NFC Championship game last season for instance. Can't remember any of my other predictions but they would have been way off the mark :)

3 away winners sounds good to me. I'll start working on my predictions. I have already penciled the redskins as the biggest slider.

3 away winners sounds good to me. I'll start working on my predictions. I have already penciled the redskins as the biggest slider.

My biggest controversy of the year will most probably involve Rex, the Jets, a tattoo and Geno!

My biggest controversy of the year will most probably involve Rex, the Jets, a tattoo and Geno!

Are the jets a controversy or is their behavior a consistency? I can see Sanchez out after 3 games and geno steps in to do nothing as well. The bring back tebow chants will be loud and clear.

• Like 1

Had a fantasy auction and got Brees and Gonzalez as 'best in class' for their positions but had to settle for Gore and Ball as RBs to back up Lynch.

Welker is a gem pickup IMO and I hope Mike Wallace can get near the puss that Tannehill will throw at him...

I am pretty confident but we will see how the 49ers and the Broncos use their RBs before being too confident.

I cannot wait for NFL to start.

With Melbourne and the Australian cricket team absolutely stinking, I need to see the 49ers again. Something that resembles a professional, successful team.

Yes, I agree. This is probably the first time I can remember actually looking forward to the Preseason games (starts tomorrow week on ESPN with Cinci @ Atlanta) There's another game on next Monday (our time) but it's not televised.

You've got my Packers first up in week 1 of the regular season in a re-match of the divisional playoff game (the one where Kaepernick went gang busters) Tough one to start for Green Bay :)

Reckon the 49ers will be right up there again but Seattle and the Rams will be tough opposition in your division. Not sure about Arizona but they did win their first 4 games last year (including a win at Foxborough)

I bet Aaron Rogers wants the season to start too. For some reason Greg Jennings keeps stoking the rivalry fire between the Vikes and Packers. Why try and make Rogers want to beat a divisional rival even more? Also Rogers made Jennings get the massive contract at Minnesota by giving him the ball on a silver platter when he was a Packer. Plus the having a good mate in Braun lie to Rogers about his PED use and I bet Rogers just wants to play.

I bet Aaron Rogers wants the season to start too. For some reason Greg Jennings keeps stoking the rivalry fire between the Vikes and Packers. Why try and make Rogers want to beat a divisional rival even more? Also Rogers made Jennings get the massive contract at Minnesota by giving him the ball on a silver platter when he was a Packer. Plus the having a good mate in Braun lie to Rogers about his PED use and I bet Rogers just wants to play.

Yeah, there's more than a few sports people telling lies about drugs hey! It almost comes across as a justified action which baffles me. Braun will be forgiven soon enough and that's half the problem. The fans will soon forget if he gets back to top form again on his return.

Rodgers went into bat for him quite strongly but he shouldn't feel embarrassed or ashamed about doing that. On the contrary, he would feel betrayed and should be getting the public's sympathy (not that he'd want it) He trusted a mate and was let down badly. Wonder if they've spoken since? (now that would have to be a steamy conversation ... starting off with ... "You ....")

As for the Jennings comments, that's just all part of the show over there. I like that sort of stuff and besides, Jennings will always be remembered as a Packer champion.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I'm really unsure of how the Rams will go, I'd like to think 7 games are not too unrealistic...

Well you've got the divisional games covered if we go on last year's form. :)

Just need to start rackin' up those wins outside your division!

• Like 1

I'm really unsure of how the Rams will go, I'd like to think 7 games are not too unrealistic...

I'm a bit the same with the VIkings. Maybe it's the fact we are Melbourne supporters we all go into in sporting season with a slight feeling of dread. If your Rams can establish a running game without Jackson and Bradford and Austin can click you could have a deadly offence.

• Like 1

Yeah the loss of Jackson will be interesting, while a quality player he was really solid most weeks, if we can replace him with one solid smash in running back and one with a bit of flair until we get a settled quality RB.

Macca, knowing us, we will lose all our div games and win some outside... Ha ha

I have the first game penciled in and a mate is coming over. Going to be a long wait this next month.

• Like 1

Big wraps on WR Tavon Austin from a NFL.com reporter. He could be a rams version of a rookie Randy Moss. You may be on to something here Gorgoroth.

"I watched all of his tape, I saw him in person at his pro day. He might be the most explosive player I've ever seen in my life, from a static start to full speed," Mayock said on Monday's "Inside Training Camp Live." "He's almost impossible to cover in short spaces. So the ways you can use this are basically only constrained by the imagination of your offensive coordinator."