NFL

Dappa Dan

5 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

But he also had a terrible INT in the red zone, plus a silly sack when they were inside the 25 yard line. That's at least 6 points lost.

That's why I can't never trust him in crunch time.

Do you take misery pills of a morning?

You want perfection? Most QB's make the odd error but nearly everything Prescott did today was very good

He's not going to be Tom Brady ... is that what you want?  If so, you're dreaming

You won the game against a tough opponent.  Why be so miserable about a win?  

Edited by Macca

And by the way @ElDiablo14

Taking out a QB's knee using the helmet as a weapon is a gutless act.  And you reckon that's ok?  

As for helmet to helmet with the perpetrator attacking an unsuspecting player using their helmet as a weapon is also a gutless act. And weak

I'm glad they outlawed that sort of stuff and the game is better off now because of the new ruling.  

The NFL haven't lost one customer with the new rulings and is as popular as ever.  Perhaps even more popular

So was the Maybard hit on Brayshaw ok as well? Took out an unsuspecting player.  A gutless act

That is what you are advocating with your old school thinking

15 minutes ago, Macca said:

Do you take misery pills of a morning?

You want perfection? Most QB's make the odd error but nearly everything Prescott did today was very good

He's not going to be Tom Brady ... is that what you want?  If so, you're dreaming

You won the game against a tough opponent.  Why be so miserable about a win?  

Not miserable, just don't want to hope. You still have to also understand the bad that comes with Prescott.

Made that mistake so much in the past, just can't trust this team until they prove it otherwise in the playoffs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Taking out a QB's knee using the helmet as a weapon is a gutless act.  And you reckon that's ok?  

As for helmet to helmet with the perpetrator attacking an unsuspecting player using their helmet as a weapon is also a gutless act. And weak

I'm glad they outlawed that sort of stuff and the game is better off now because of the new ruling.  

The NFL haven't lost one customer with the new rulings and is as popular as ever.  Perhaps even more popular

So was the Maybard hit on Brayshaw ok as well? Took out an unsuspecting player.  A gutless act

Too many hyperboles here tbh.

When did I say I like cheap shots?

I just said that, in general, the current rules favour offensive players (not just QBs btw). I just like a little bit of balance.

You can also see all my thoughts about thug #4, I have been very vocal.

23 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Too many hyperboles here tbh.

When did I say I like cheap shots?

I just said that, in general, the current rules favour offensive players (not just QBs btw). I just like a little bit of balance.

You can also see all my thoughts about thug #4, I have been very vocal.

Well be consistent then

What Maynard did was what used to happen to QB's before the protection came in.  Cheap shots is an apt description so no need to get all precious about it

The balance was lopsided in the NFL now there is more balance

The old school mentality is for old men.  It's dead

It's time you moved with the times

26 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Not miserable, just don't want to hope. You still have to also understand the bad that comes with Prescott.

Made that mistake so much in the past, just can't trust this team until they prove it otherwise in the playoffs.

Cry me a river

You won a tough match.  Be grateful you didn't get smashed

You're like this on the footy boards

Miserable when we win and even more miserable when we lose

You'd clear a room in 5 minutes!  Haha

As for the playoffs, you've got to get there first

Edited by Macca

Rodgers had a bit of a day.  The older (formerly very good) QB's tend to be like the talented rookie QB's

Inconsistent because of the age factor but both will win X amount of games with a playoff spot in near sight

So the Jets with Rodgers aren't out of it and Washington with Daniels aren't assured of a spot either

The Jets might end up with Devante Adams soon enough and that's probably what Rodgers needs (looking from afar)

As for the Commanders, Daniels is not only more than handy with his throwing accuracy, the guy can run with it posting 82 yards (Ave 7.5) against Cleveland

The new kid on the block vs the veteran Rodgers.  I'd like to see both teams make the playoffs but the Jets need to get a move on

• Like 1

On 05/10/2024 at 23:32, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah last week was pretty diabolical for my tipping. This week not much better, I'd go Steelers as my lock with Parsons and Lawrence both out and you just know Sal having to front up for Guess The Lines straight after means a loss for the Cowboys.

Don't see how Giants cover either with Malik Nabers unlikely so Seattle also a good bet even though they're giving a lot of points. And while the London games always throw up funny results I don't see how the Jets O-line withstands Flores' Vikings D. Jefferson, Addison and Nailor three decent receivers which we'll find it hard to cover too, only saving grace for the Jets is Darnold turns back into a pumpkin but more likely he gives an FU performance.

Ok I give up, had a decent week of tipping overall but my two "locks" turned it up again!! Punting is a mugs game.

22 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Tell me it’s more exciting than NRL? At least more athletic? I’m definitely willing to give it a try, would be good to get into a different/another sport. I only watch AFL and the NBA.

It's far better than NRL, there's actually strategy involved rather than a big game of British Bulldogs with a football.

NFL is like chess on grass, bursts of explosive play with downtime in between but each play has so much going on it's impossible to focus on one thing. Instant replays were made for the NFL.

It can take some getting used to but once you get the hang of what's going on it matches Aussie rules as the best sport going. I found it better to watch on delay initially so you can fast forward ad breaks/timeouts/in between plays etc as it can be difficult to get used to the pace initially.

Only other sports I watch are Aussie rules and NBA as well, I do watch soccer occasionally but it's a bit take it or leave it. More fun to play FIFA than to watch 😂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Yeah the run game I reckon is back in vogue.

Tell that to Breece Hall! How is it possible we bring in a HOF QB and seemingly get worse!! Rodgers, Hall, Wilson, Allen, Conklin, Lazard and still can't put up a winning score. Not only that the offense seems to be the worst unit on the team! Defense and special teams have been pretty good this year, offense cost us the last 2 games.

Vikings are good and a very good defense but the Jets had enough opportunities to win that one if they just took care of the ball. Rodgers body language is really poor too, it looks like he wants to be anywhere else. The playcalling is horrible but Hackett is his guy so no idea how it gets resolved.

Also lol Bills, what the hell was that playcalling at the end??? With the Fins and Pats being 2 of the worst 3 teams (along with Cleveland) the AFC East is a bit of a dumpster fire at the moment.

1 hour ago, Macca said:

I agree those cheap shots had to be ruled out, the ones that grate are when contact is made ever so slightly late, not to the helmet or below the knee, not much force and they throw the flag. It's so subjective which is a huge issue too so you'll see Mahomes (for example) get these flags while other lesser known QBs won't like a reverse superstar tax.

The amount of flags thrown can be over the top sometimes and really detracts from the game, last week's Jets/Broncos game a prime example - felt like there were flags on every play, both sides. They have to call what they see but sometimes they also need to be a bit judicious with their decision making and ensure they are there to facilitate the game, not inhibit it.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree those cheap shots had to be ruled out, the ones that grate are when contact is made ever so slightly late, not to the helmet or below the knee, not much force and they throw the flag. It's so subjective which is a huge issue too so you'll see Mahomes (for example) get these flags while other lesser known QBs won't like a reverse superstar tax.

The amount of flags thrown can be over the top sometimes and really detracts from the game, last week's Jets/Broncos game a prime example - felt like there were flags on every play, both sides. They have to call what they see but sometimes they also need to be a bit judicious with their decision making and ensure they are there to facilitate the game, not inhibit it.

But here's the problem, when the new rulings were enacted, they have erred on the side of zero tolerance in order to make sure they don't miss anything (in my view)

Make no mistake, the NFL is facing a massive class action re concussions (much like the AFL) so they can't be seen to be complicit

So what we then see as spectators are a lot of perceived soft decisions protecting the QB

It's a lot like the soft high contact free kicks in the footy.  The ball player often gets overprotected. Which leads to numerous players milking high contact

The law of unintended consequences

The same thing happened with player dissent.  Zero tolerance and then they relaxed the ruling.  Now?  Players either don't backchat as much or the umpires turn a blind eye. Who knows

But it works both ways and I'm not sure that players like Mahomes gets preferential treatment. It might just look that way because he is one of the best QB's and we don't like seeing the top dog getting it their way

Same as the whole Brady thing.  The Pats were just a class above for 20 years

Remember the whole deflategate furore?  Weeks later we found out that a lot of the top QB's were playing around with different ball pressures!!  With Rodgers front & centre haha

But it was all Brady & Belichick's fault! (apparently)

Talent wins, all the rest of it are add-ons to help that talent.  But without talent, you can't win (big)

The Bills are at the Jets next MNF

If the Jets win, they will lead the division!  That's the beauty of divisional football, it throws up quirky scenarios

As for tomorrow, is this the game that the Chiefs drop? (against the Saints) The Chiefs haven't beaten another team this season by more than one score

Or it might be the game where they put their foot down.  They've got injury concerns but which team doesn't? 

Edited by Macca

9 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

But he also had a terrible INT in the red zone, plus a silly sack when they were inside the 25 yard line. That's at least 6 points lost.

That's why I can't never trust him in crunch time.

The pick he threw was bad but he was very good in the second half. the drive to win the game was close to perfect. Drove the length of the field and chewed up all the clock in the process.

I think Dak is good enough. We need another dependable receiver along with Lamb. Dowdle was good yesterday carrying the ball. a lot of defensive injuries are a big problem but i think we have the team to make a play-off run if we can stay healthy enough.

The weak link is the coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

The pick he threw was bad but he was very good in the second half. the drive to win the game was close to perfect. Drove the length of the field and chewed up all the clock in the process.

I think Dak is good enough. We need another dependable receiver along with Lamb. Dowdle was good yesterday carrying the ball. a lot of defensive injuries are a big problem but i think we have the team to make a play-off run if we can stay healthy enough.

It's always been the coach, for the most part. We've got JJ and Co. (and his ego) to thank for it.

2 hours ago, BDA said:

Not every interception is the fault of the QB

I often look upon WR's as I do forwards in footy.  Often the ball is thrown to a WR who in turn doesn't fight for separation and is thus outpointed.  And sometimes that WR is the QB's only choice especially in a 3rd down situation

It's make something happen or punt the ball away

Same in footy.  A midfielder may be under extreme pressure but has no choice but to kick long for territory gain.  So if a forward can't read the situation it's likely that the opposition will gain possession.  So who's fault is the turnover?

So there are often a number of variable factors with regards to interceptions

Brady for instance wasn't asked or required to be a gunslinger QB.  A lot of the times Brady threw the ball 4 or 5 yards to Gronk

Where as QB's like Rodgers & Prescott are required to be risk takers by a coach like MaCarthy

Prescott should be used in a more conservative fashion but McCarthy won't manage him that way

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Further to the above

I've always thought that a tipped interception is not necessarily the fault of the QB.  To always blame the QB is poor analysis

Many times a WR can make a half-hearted effort or not put their body on the line thus creating a tipped ball situation

As an aside, the long throw Prescott interception yesterday was more of a circumstances interception rather than Dak's fault

As the play unfolded it turned out that the WR was outnumbered in a medium risk play.  But who called the play?  

Edited by Macca

6 hours ago, BDA said:

5 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It's always been the coach, for the most part. We've got JJ and Co. (and his ego) to thank for it.

Yes, I agree

I was reluctant to criticise McCarthy in his reign at Green Bay mainly because he won a Super Bowl and the team was nearly always in contention

But in the last 5 years it was obvious that McCarthy had handed over the keys to the QB

And at Dallas, even though the other areas of your game are quite reasonable, it's a lot to put on Prescott as he isn't that good a player (nor was Rodgers ever that good that he could overcome a deficient running game and an average defence) 

So in effect, because a lot rests with Prescott, he always cops the blame, not McCarthy

Where as at New England, Belichick was in charge and Brady was smart enough to just play his role

• Like 1

How time flies!

Andy Reid is in hid 12th year at KC and in each of those years the Chiefs have gone on a minimum 5 game winning streak

4 hours ago, Macca said:

Further to the above

I've always thought that a tipped interception is not necessarily the fault of the QB.  To always blame the QB is poor analysis

Many times a WR can make a half-hearted effort or not put their body on the line thus creating a tipped ball situation

As an aside, the long throw Prescott interception yesterday was more of a circumstances interception rather than Dak's fault

As the play unfolded it turned out that the WR was outnumbered in a medium risk play.  But who called the play?  

Agree, Like todays interception by Ju Ju. That goes on Mahomes but it really wasn't his fault, Ju Ju bobbled it, they throw was fine.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Agree, Like todays interception by Ju Ju. That goes on Mahomes but it really wasn't his fault, Ju Ju bobbled it, they throw was fine.

And the Yanks are so fastidious with their stats too

A lot of those tipped throws can be caught too.  And some of the dropped catches make you shake your head

• Like 1

@Gorgoroth @Go the Biff @DeeSpencer @titan_uranus @Clintosaurus @Dee Zephyr @Dr. Gonzo  @DemonDave @BDA @layzie  @Dappa Dan @ElDiablo14 @JV7     

NFL Week 6 Power Rankings

Leaderboard Tipping Comp

(This week's awarded points in brackets)

13 - DemonDave (2)

11 - Clintosaurus (6)

10 - Dr. Gonzo (6)

8 - Go the Biff (2),  DeeSpencer (2),  layzie (2),  Macca (2)

6 - BDA (2)

5 - JV7 (2),  Gorgoroth (2)

4 - ElDiablo14 (0),  titan_uranus (0),  Dee Zephyr (0)

This week looks a little easier but there might be one or 2 false favourites 

Printable NFL Week 6 Against the Spread Pick 'em Sheets