2011 NAB Cup Round Robin Monstrosity

e25

Ok, so we know Ablett will debut for GC Suns against GWS & Brisbane as they are in the same pool.

We've also discovered that the Scott brothers will face off in the NAB Cup because the Roos and the Cats are in the same pool with the Dogs.

So does anyone know what pool MFC are in..?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Redleg_24

Ok, so we know Ablett will debut for GC Suns against GWS & Brisbane as they are in the same pool.

We've also discovered that the Scott brothers will face off in the NAB Cup because the Roos and the Cats are in the same pool with the Dogs.

So does anyone know what pool MFC are in..?

wtf? why are they playing in the AFL in 2011? I realise its NAB Cup, but surely this is a typo?

Guest Redleg_24

For it to work and each pool consist of 3 teams, there must be 18 teams competing.

So they will field a team in 4 months of 17 year olds? No name. Nothing like that? This is weird. Where did u find this out?

Apparently, this is the Round 1 fixture for the NAB Cup:

Friday Feb 11

Adelaide v Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - AAMI Stadium (N) (SEVEN)

Saturday Feb 12

Sydney v Gold Coast v GWS - Blacktown Olympic Park (N) (TEN)

Sunday Feb 13

Hawthorn v Melbourne v Essendon - Etihad Stadium (T) (FOX)

Friday Feb 18

West Coast v Fremantle v Collingwood - Patterson's Stadium (N) (SEVEN)

Saturday Feb 19

Carlton v Brisbane v Richmond - Etihad Stadium (N) (TEN)

Sunday Feb 20

Geelong v North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Skilled Stadium (T) (FOX)

Melbourne playing on a Sunday...no, must be wrong.

(We seem to draw Hawthorn often in Round 1 - NAB cup round 1 especially. That's at least 4 times that I can remember straight off the top of my head in the last 7 years)

Edited by 45HG16

I would think they'd show Dees v Hawks v Dons on Saturday - that way, Saturday footy is three Victorian teams rather than three interstate teams, one of which doesn't even play AFL.

Guest Thomo

(We seem to draw Hawthorn often in Round 1 - NAB cup round 1 especially. That's at least 4 times that I can remember straight off the top of my head in the last 7 years)

I'm happy with that. I think Melbourne will finish above the Hawks and Dons next year, so it looks to be the best fixture in years. Going on what has happened in the past, I was expecting Collingwood and Freo in WA.

Sh'it..look out!

I giggled.

Imagine that - a fixture in Melbourne!

Much better than the usual programme we get from the AFL.

Fantastic. Hawks are a pretty damn good side, Essendon, well... Pleased with that group. Will be nice to be the first official team to knock off Hird.

Sunday Feb 13

Hawthorn v Melbourne v Essendon - Etihad Stadium (T) (FOX)

Probably a stupid question but how does this work? Hawks v Dees v Bombers all on the Sunday?? Are they just saying two teams out of that pool will play on the 13th?

Edited by Deemort

Probably a stupid question but how does this work? Hawks v Dees v Bombers all on the Sunday?? Are they just saying two teams out of that pool will play on the 13th?

Shortened versions of each game (20 min each, or maybe 20 min halves? I can't remember).

Eg. Haw v Mel

Mel v Ess

Ess v Haw

Not sure how it progresses from there. Assuming 1 team goes through, you are left with a pool of 6 after the round robin games.

It's NAB cup,therefore I don't care. As long as nobody gets injured, like Jurrah, Sylvia or Morton did this year, I'm happy.

pies get the dud deal haha playing both Wa teams at the ground formally known as Subiaco

McChins will probably somehow use it as a reason to claim they should play their last 10 rounds of the H&A season at the G.

Shortened versions of each game (20 min each, or maybe 20 min halves? I can't remember).

Eg. Haw v Mel

Mel v Ess

Ess v Haw

Not sure how it progresses from there. Assuming 1 team goes through, you are left with a pool of 6 after the round robin games.

Actually, it's the 6 winners plus the two best "losers" from the remaining teams... Wild Cards if you're a fan of the MLB or NFL. That makes 8 teams and then it picks up where it would normally for round two of the NAB cup, with normal elimination rounds til someone's crowned.

I like it personally. For a bit of fun, which is all the NAB cup is. Since there are 3 "games" with 20 minute halves... A,B and C... I reckon being in games A and C would be the best. You're as fresh as your opponents in the first one, then you get a nice hour break or so for your coaches to figure things out... (have to stay warm) then you come out and play a team that's just played a half-game ten minutes before. Beyond that I reckon being in A,B would be next best, then in B,C...

The other good thing is, let's say you lose your first game, and then the winner of that game wins the second one as well... If the score difference is massive, you can easily put the cue in the rack and play out time as you know if you're still in it or not.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/nab-cup-set-for-revamp-90806

Confuscious say "it easy to drown in pool of three".

I don't know what that means but I believe the great man said it.

True True especially when you are a renowned slow starter like us, no 3rd qtr come backs for us! I'm the same as most, just hope for no injuries but obviously would like to see them progress from the group stage just so theres more Demon viewing the next weeks.

I'm actually looking forward to it aswell, something completely different and a bit of fun, sounds like a pretty cool Sunday arvo with a few beers to me.

Saturday Feb 12

Sydney v Gold Coast v GWS - Blacktown Olympic Park (N) (TEN)

It's been a big week for conspiracy theories with some mongrel from the Maritime Workers Union going on about 9/11 being an American plot against its own citizens so FWIW, here's my conspiracy theory.

GWS will field a team of rookie listers, Israel Folau, hacks and pimply faced 17 year olds coached by a showman who is out of touch with the modern game. They will be decimated by both the Swans and the Suns by a large margin. Irrespective of the result of the Swans v Suns game, that should be enough to ensure that two clubs from this pool of three progress to the next round, one as winner of the pool and the other other as one of the two best performed runners up. In other words, the grouping virtually assures the Suns of some initial short term success in the AFL competition, which is exactly what the AFL wants.