Saints to wear Clash Strip in Grand Final

e25

The only club that would do what you want is collingwood

but the AFL will not bring on that fight.

The only other club that might do it is Carlton but I doubt it after the AFL looked the other way

on Visy and CJ.

If St Kilda rolls over after what I consider a good case I am afraid all is lost!

I have just had a look at a few Saints Websites as well O D & yes i must say i am suprised at the Lack of interest in the Jumper, considering what happened with the photo's from 66.

But as their history is so poor and desolate, maybe they do not care. Their own problem.

Our Trad Jumper has seen a lot more Success over the years as well as adversity so i would hope more of our supporters (and Club when the time is right) will make a stand on our Jumper.

I would hate to see the MFC play Finals on the MCG in anything but the Red & Blue. B)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .

I went onto a couple of St Kilda sites this afternoon and could not find any comment about playing in the clash strip.

. . .

Dunno where you looked old dee but I had a look and found plenty of comment. One thread went 5 pages (and growing)

But yes, of course dees supporters are more passionate ;)

P.S. The Saints clash jumper still only has the Saints colours - would be worse for some other clubs

The Red'n'Blue isn't everything, it's the only thing (apologies to Vince Lombardi)

Edited by daisycutter

Dunno where you looked old dee but I had a look and found plenty of comment. One thread went 5 pages (and growing)

But yes, of course dees supporters are more passionate ;)

The Red'n'Blue isn't everything, it's the only thing (apologies to Disraeli I think)

Throw us a link DC i would like to read. Couldn't find any pages at all so far...

Thanks DC, the feelings are similiar to on here, although i still believe if we are ever forced to wear white in a Grand Final it will be all out bloody war. Those that don't care now, suddenly will. B)

rfpc, will you be cheering the white, red and blue in a grand final?

If we were unfortunate enough to finish below the other team, yes.

I'd much prefer to win the effing thing than scream at the heavens about wearing white in our jumper.

Our get-up used to be all white anyway...

I know many of you only embrace 4 numbers from our pre-1933 history so that isn't a winning argument...

Call it embracing history, call it sacrificing your soul, let's just win a flag and worry about staid principle later.

Edited by rpfc

I only got to the 5th comment and seems they couldn't care less .

Maybe they don't see their alternate strip as a surrender jumper like us .

You can really see the different mindset for Sainst fans stemming from being so close for so long .

As far as the supporters are concerned they've been at 11:00 on Malthouse's Premiership clock for the last 7-8 years and they are oooh soo close , they don't care what they're wearing .

You can really see the different mindset for Sainst fans stemming from being so close for so long .

As far as the supporters are concerned they've been at 11:00 on Malthouse's Premiership clock for the last 7-8 years and they are oooh soo close , they don't care what they're wearing .

to be fair read the whole thread. there are 5 pages

yes there are mixed comments, just like here. they do have a lot of pizzed supporters

remember too that white is part of their colours anyway and to them its more a design issue and just not being able to wear their preferred home strip (esp as coll changed the back of their home strip to be the same as aints)

So, slightly different issues

they also don't have the same attachment having only won one flag in their tricolor

anyway they are not a club with strong traditions like us

can you imagine if the situation was reversed and coll had to change?

If we were unfortunate enough to finish below the other team, yes.

I'd much prefer to win the effing thing than scream at the heavens about wearing white in our jumper.

Our get-up used to be all white anyway...

I know many of you only embrace 4 numbers from our pre-1933 history so that isn't a winning argument...

Call it embracing history, call it sacrificing your soul, let's just win a flag and worry about staid principle later.

You have my vote "rpfc" I will happily go in 2012 to see them win in the clash jumper.

I will be there in red and blue!

Fork em it is 46 years since we won that is a fairly large window!

What strip we play in at our next GF is running a bad second for me as well.

Just win the bloody thing.

Given how much effort has gone into the reinforcing of our brand, our heritage our identity and place in this towns history I just couldn't see the club having us run out on the G in GF in anything but our Red and Blue ..... That song just doesn't talk about any other colours does it !!!

Given how much effort has gone into the reinforcing of our brand, our heritage our identity and place in this towns history I just couldn't see the club having us run out on the G in GF in anything but our Red and Blue ..... That song just doesn't talk about any other colours does it !!!

We wore white before the song came about.

As with everything - heritage is subjective.

The only thing most Dees supporters want to crow about in the pre-1933 history is '1858.'

The rest is a series of inconvenient asides...

Edited by rpfc

Maybe to you Rpfc as is your privelege many others aren't so frivolous... As is ours

The only thing most Dees supporters want to crow about in the pre-1933 history is '1858.'

1900 & 1926 are worth knowing about....

Don't know what you are getting at here rpfc

In the first decade (approx) of the MFC all the competing teams wore an all white(ish) "uniform" only distinguishable from each other by coloured caps.

So white was no more a defining colour of the MFC than white is a defining colour of the Australian cricket team

Or are you arguing for a return of the heritage red caps? ;)

In the first decade (approx) of the MFC all the competing teams wore an all white(ish) "uniform" only distinguishable from each other by coloured caps.

So white was no more a defining colour of the MFC than white is a defining colour of the Australian cricket team

Heard this subject discussed on SEN this morning.

two interesting items.

Collingwood have agreed that their game vs North will be a North home game if North play in their clash strip.

Result North earn $300000 + to wear their clash strip.

The AFL believes that to sell the game outside the traditional states i.e. NSW,QLD and Overseas it looks a lot better on TV if one side

wears a dramatically different strip ( white is the best ). The clubs have basically agreed that in the interests of expanding the revenue from selling the rights they will play in a white clash strip.

So that is why clubs are not challenging the league decisions on who wears what and when.

I know you will all say I have given up but I think the war is well and truely lost.

Lets make the best of it, what is the best white jumper with red and blue trim?

Just had thought there are only three teams where I would have thought the problem would arise in a GF.

Essendon

St Kilda

Carlton

So in the next two to three years if we made it what are the chances of the above being our opponents?

Essendon low chance

St kilda maybe but they will probably be on the wane in 3 years time

Carlton best chance in my opinion

So we need to finish above Carlton!

White is the defining colour of the origins of our game. You know, the one our club invented?

Our club was called the invincible whites.

Our club wasn't called the Demons until an ex-Tiger finally said that flowers are for gardens not football grounds.

Our club was white, then red and green, then red and blue.

And you obviously do know what I am getting at...

We have been here before. I recognise that tree...

White is the defining colour of the origins of our game. You know, the one our club invented?

Our club was called the invincible whites.

Our club wasn't called the Demons until an ex-Tiger finally said that flowers are for gardens not football grounds.

Our club was white, then red and green, then red and blue.

And you obviously do know what I am getting at...

We have been here before. I recognise that tree...

Yeah, we've been here before

My point about the "white" was that ALL the original clubs had all white jumpers, so what is MFC about that?

But my point about not knowing what you are getting at was your following comment

I don't agree with it, but not sure why you would make a point of saying that

BTW, do you have any info links or more info to the red and green colours? I must have missed that . . . interesting.

(Pity Vlad would consider green a dark colour)

Yeah, we've been here before

My point about the "white" was that ALL the original clubs had all white jumpers, so what is MFC about that?

But my point about not knowing what you are getting at was your following comment

I don't agree with it, but not sure why you would make a point of saying that

BTW, do you have any info links or more info to the red and green colours? I must have missed that . . . interesting.

(Pity Vlad would consider green a dark colour)

Club officials went to britain and came back with red and green, then red socks and blue socks. Eventually, we settled on the red socks and apparently gave the blue socks to Carlton.

My point about the 1858 is that there is a pride that we have about being around for so long but a rejection of what we were in those early years.

Throwout your baby pictures because we all can't talk and look the same. Tell your mother that...

Yeah we wore white because of ties to cricket, but not all clubs were called the 'invincible whites.'

The simple fact is that we were not born the day some toff decided on red and blue, we weren't born the day they settled on the design, we weren't born when Hughes called us the Demons, they are moments in our history we cling to and that is great but throw out the bath water with care...

The thing is we are NOW. Red and Blue.. We ARE The Demons , our Eblem brings all this into cohesion . This IS our identity.. So sayeth the club. Why would so much be do e to cement this as our image only to front up in some other pajamas ?

We aren't the Invincible Whites or the Fuscias we are the the Demons, we are the Red and the Blue

another team takes a similar view and are playing this Saturday.. The other team will be silently loathing they might have to change after the game to feel "right"

RPFC,

Seeing as how we are discussing "Heritage"

and, as a purely whimsical comment ;)

You do realise that our "clash" jumper of red white and blue is the same colours as Collingwoods heritage colours, when they were known as Britannia prior to joing the then VFA (pre VFL).

Does that boil your blood WYL?

Club officials went to britain and came back with red and green, then red socks and blue socks. Eventually, we settled on the red socks and apparently gave the blue socks to Carlton.

My point about the 1858 is that there is a pride that we have about being around for so long but a rejection of what we were in those early years.

Throwout your baby pictures because we all can't talk and look the same. Tell your mother that...

Yeah we wore white because of ties to cricket, but not all clubs were called the 'invincible whites.'

The simple fact is that we were not born the day some toff decided on red and blue, we weren't born the day they settled on the design, we weren't born when Hughes called us the Demons, they are moments in our history we cling to and that is great but throw out the bath water with care...

Not me, I love the history. Throw out nothing. That we agree on

Getting back to the green, did we actually wear any green on the jumper, or anywhere else. Would love some references to read.

The thing is we are NOW. Red and Blue.. We ARE The Demons , our Eblem brings all this into cohesion . This IS our identity.. So sayeth the club. Why would so much be do e to cement this as our image only to front up in some other pajamas ?

We aren't the Invincible Whites or the Fuscias we are the the Demons, we are the Red and the Blue

another team takes a similar view and are playing this Saturday.. The other team will be silently loathing they might have to change after the game to feel "right"

Then you can celebrate the 100th anniversary of the club in 2033.

The first 75 years we were d!cking around?

You embrace it all, or you cut your ties.