• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts Appreciation Thread

Tatu

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's developing just fine.

Probably similar to Josh Kennedy in the sense that he obviously had talent, but was labelled soft and outside in his early days.

If you just look at him, it's very obvious he is still a kid, and has a kids body. When he gets a man's body (ala Frawley), he'll get a huge amount of confidence to be more physical.

He will be a great player. Just a shame he couldn't really stamp himself yesterday by winning us the game

I disagree with schwarta, I think Jack has an easy running style that does not make him look quick. Think of Buddy running away from Hooker a couple of weeks ago, Hooker was going flat out and Buddy appeared to be cruising. I am personally not to fussed about what Jack does in terms of stats at the moment, It is his work rate I have been watching and the past few weeks it has really inceased. It is a big ground over there and he worked up and back both ends, if he keeps working hard the marks, kicks and handballs will come, a couple of preseasons and more strength through his legs and he will have the power to take some of those tackles. The kid is going to be a very good player, he also has a little bit of agro in him which is nice to see. I will enjoy watching him develop over the next couple of years.

Oh and on Schwarta, I wouldn't read into what he has to say, not much positive about Jack, Brian Taylor is the worst, Jack can't do a thing right, I look forward to the day Jack dominates a game BT is commentating.

Sorry I think what Schwarta was saying was he was slower to react not slower by foot, he was full of praise for him just said he needed to understand that everything moves a lot quicker now and you don't have as much time to decide what to do. Essentially he said he is still playing like he did in junior comp where it was a lot easier for him.

The best part of Jack's game yesterday? The fact he was so [censored] off at the end of the match.

He's got the hunger.

Good call Bob....noticed how he sunk to the ground and almost remonstrated with himself. He willed himself to the ball and wanted the ball, just couldn't finish it off.

Great to see that hurt....there is a slight hint of arrogance that all the best players had and this will come out when his confidence at the ball is there.

The thing I'm positive about with this kid is the areas he is lacking in are AFL specific not football specific. He will develop in the areas of speed, decision making, and aggression as they are the 3 main areas where AFL is a massive jump on any other level. We all know he has the talent, and he's starting to show more every week as he starts to believe he belongs, but once he feels like he has a right to the ball and starts to demand it his confidence will grow exponentially. That is an area his teammates can help with too, was great to see some of the younger blokes go into bat for him when he was getting the usual rough up from the opposition.

Basically, I think Jack is the sorta kid who's confidence in himself will grow after he's been shown confidence from his teammates, but once he starts to demand the ball both through attitude and skill his development as a player will really hit it's straps, and it WILL happen.

Good to see people starting to believe.

This kid is growing and improving with every match and i couldn't be happier.

His kicking is usually pretty good and i'm glad he was so dirty on himself. As others have said it shows his hunger and desire.

ALL I PRAY FOR IS A FULL PRE SEASON DEVOID OF INJURIES. Beware if he gets a full pre season in to him. Then people will really start to see his talents.

Good to see people starting to believe.

This kid is growing and improving with every match and i couldn't be happier.

His kicking is usually pretty good and i'm glad he was so dirty on himself. As others have said it shows his hunger and desire.

ALL I PRAY FOR IS A FULL PRE SEASON DEVOID OF INJURIES. Beware if he gets a full pre season in to him. Then people will really start to see his talents.

Fairly important point this one.....seasoned players require pre-seasons let alone kids that have yet to complete a full one.

Guest Thomo

I was really disappointed for Watts yesterday. Had he slotted those 2 goals (half time siren, and 3 minutes before the end), it would have been his break-out game and everyone would've been super impressed.

However, he choked, and now the constant ignorant ridicule continues for a few more rounds.

Regardless, Watts is developing fine. 2nd season, has the body of a boy, but has great agility and skills. Will clearly become a very good player, just needs a bigger body and the right attitude

You have no idea.

I was at the game, and those pockets are much deeper than they look. At most grounds the shot in the last quarter would have been up aginst the fence. No Choke, just a tough kick that he missed.

For the next 10 years, Jack will get the chance to train with one of the best defenders in the league in chip Frawley.

I hope they bring out the best in each other.

That's a really good point, DD DDC.

He keeps getting more of it and being involved more and more each week.

The 'kid' needs a big pre-season. Players of 200 games need pre-seasons & Jack has yet to complete one. I reckon next year he will start to take control of some games for us and will be a beauty.

Had he finished off some of his work would be a certain Rising Star this week, still could be. His finishing has been fantastic so far and I was a bit surprised he didn't kick that goal in the last but it didnt miss by a lot, not as if he sprayed the thing.

We have something really good here and people that went early - sit back and enjoy!

I agree- Sylvia did not have a real pre season except for last year- and look what happened- he had a ripper year. Watts has also just played 11 games- come on give the kid a go posters.

the watts storm is brewing, he is sooooo clean below his knees, i just want him to have that game where everyone else can see ohhh he is going to be a freak.

commentators love to pay out on jack watts even when he does good things, but he does make 1 or 2 mistakes a match which is expected.

but none the less i am massive wraps for the kid and i cannot wait until he smashes a team to shreds, and everyone sees why we took him the footballer ahead of the athlete nicnat.

the watts storm is brewing, he is sooooo clean below his knees, i just want him to have that game where everyone else can see ohhh he is going to be a freak.

commentators love to pay out on jack watts even when he does good things, but he does make 1 or 2 mistakes a match which is expected.

but none the less i am massive wraps for the kid and i cannot wait until he smashes a team to shreds, and everyone sees why we took him the footballer ahead of the athlete nicnat.

Thing is, he hasn't had a pre-season. And he's unique - nearly 2 metres tall yet he's much more of a winger than a pack-marking forward. And he's so classy. Yet people still bag him.

Although I guess I dish out a lot of crap about the teams my friends support

Thing is, he hasn't had a pre-season. And he's unique - nearly 2 metres tall yet he's much more of a winger than a pack-marking forward. And he's so classy. Yet people still bag him.

Although I guess I dish out a lot of crap about the teams my friends support

true, but still they have to be able to see the potential, the thing i love the most is that he actually chases people, whether he gets the tackle or not he still puts the pressure on due to his massive footspeed

Has anyone heard anything about Watts re-signing for next year? Was concerned by article in HS yesterday...

i think he just wants to have some real good matches before signingso they cant refuse a largish contract?

but having said that who knows

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Has anyone heard anything about Watts re-signing for next year? Was concerned by article in HS yesterday...

Didn't read it but I'm not worried. It would be in the best interests of both Jack and the club to see how he goes in the later half of the season before anyone puts pen to paper.

It's a relief to finally read some rationality regarding our boy Watts. There has been way too much jumping to conclusions and unrealistic expectations thrown around our fortress of solitude here on Demonland.

Jack has all the attributes of a player unlike any other to have graced an oval field. His piercing set shot, explosive pace, clean hands and that beautiful pickup on Sunday are all testament to that. But there remains one concern...you would agree that ticking all the boxes doesn't make someone a star. I think we have all seen moments where Jack looks lost on the field, in no man's land, too far from the contest to impose himself but too close to exert pressure on a potential receiver. It is CRUCIAL that Jack is coached to play in a position that he can own and learns the ever illusive 'art of the AFL footballer'

In one game I witnessed Jack as a full forward, an on baller, a half forward and even contesting in the back 50. Each week Jack silences his critics by producing something that he is heavily criticised in the preceeding week...attack on the contest, goal sense, finding more of the footy, taking the game on, using both side of his body etc etc.

What I wanna see does not come from Jack Watts. It comes all the way from the head of the snake. I want to see Dean Bailey say - Jack...you are going to be a ten year centre half forward. Now play in the position week in week out and make it yours. I've had enough of the Daniher days of trying to make everyone a utility and ultimately resulting in a team full of players who are JACK of all trades but a master of none. Mind the pun

(PS- this is my first post- be nice)

Implied in comments that we may have made the 'wrong choice' with Jack is that all other teams would have made a different one. All Melbourne teams would have gone for Jack over those has-beens from the other side of the Nullibor. So the only choice you can criticise is whether tanking was the right option and whether instead we should have tried to finish 5th and taken Hurley. Which is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. Its the nature of the beast that is recruiting.

The variable is not the choice of player at number 1. It was always going to be Watts, Scully has been touted as no1 since 2008 and correct me if I'm wrong but we once played in the Kreuser Cup. The variable is how you develop them. The pressure is on the footy department to make something of these players, keep them focused and make them winners. The recruitment team has done exactly what any recruitment team would have done.