Simon Buckley

Guest sharp450

Ugh. I hate these kinds of threads.

The only thing we know categorically is that he damaged his girlfriends car. The rest of it is reprehensible if true, but you've only heard one side of the story and arent privy to what's really going on. You can reply with a trite cliche like "there's no smoke without fire", but that's crap: sometimes people completely makes things up.

I'm not trying to suggest in any way that that's whats going on here. My point is that we have no idea whatsoever, and shouldn't pretend to. Not with a subject this serious.

It's a concerning incident. Hopefully Buckley's alleged aggressive behaviour hasn't stemed from Melbourne delisting him last year? Hopefully all the parties can move on with their lives and forgive and forget.

Correct me if my maths here is wrong, but if she's 19 and he's 23 and they had been together for two years, when they got together she was 17 and he was 21?

Hmm.

You're maths seems accurate Nasher. I guess it's possible she is nearly 20 and most if not all of the 2 year relationship occurred after she turned 18...Possible.

I love this last quote though.

""When he was at Melbourne he was still aggressive, but as soon as he moved to Collingwood it got worse," she said. "He's done so many bad things to me.""

Even more proof that Black & White Stripes turn a [censored] into an even bigger [censored]!

You're maths seems accurate Nasher. I guess it's possible she is nearly 20 and most if not all of the 2 year relationship occurred after she turned 18...Possible.

I love this last quote though.

""When he was at Melbourne he was still aggressive, but as soon as he moved to Collingwood it got worse," she said. "He's done so many bad things to me.""

Even more proof that Black & White Stripes turn a [censored] into an even bigger [censored]!

Even though it is not at all a funny situation, i couldn't help but have a little chuckle when i read that.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing I guess, and it obviously depends on each individual, but thinking back to when I was 21, I can't imagine wanting to go out with a 17 year old. Four years is not a big age gap, but I think there'd be a fair maturity gap between 17 and 21.

Put it this way: I was 17 at the end of year 11, and at 21 I had finished with uni and was working full time. I was at totally different stages of my life, basically.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Nothing I guess, and it obviously depends on each individual, but thinking back to when I was 21, I can't imagine wanting to go out with a 17 year old.

I'm nearly forty and reckon a 17 yo would make a great playmate. B)

But seriously is it just me or has Bails done a great job of culling the players that - shall we say - have deficiencies in acting like normal adults.

Ugh. I hate these kinds of threads.

The only thing we know categorically is that he damaged his girlfriends car. The rest of it is reprehensible if true, but you've only heard one side of the story and arent privy to what's really going on.

What is it about this thread that you hate ?

Seemingly, unlike you, I find the keying of another person's car "reprehensible".

Lucky to get rid of this bloke. Don't want someone at the club who behaves like this!

We do have someone at our club who was on record for having assaulted his girlfriend in public (no need to spell it out as most would know who it is anyway)... however, he seems to have matured and come good thanks to support and guidance from the club and has become a much much better player (and, hopefully, person) for it. Buckley is a fool for doing what he has done, but hopefully Collingwood will be smart enough to help straighten him out (I wouldn't bet my house on it happening though).

Edited by hardtack

We do have someone at our club who was on record for having assaulted his girlfriend in public (no need to spell it out as most would know who it is anyway)...

That's not entirely true though, there was never any proven evidence that an assault occured and all parties deny it apart from one person who thought he saw something from afar in a dark alley at night.

That's not entirely true though, there was never any proven evidence that an assault occured and all parties deny it apart from one person who thought he saw something from afar in a dark alley at night.

Well, to the best of my understanding, he was issued with a court order "not to harass, threaten or intimidate" and was fined $2,000 by the club and put onto an alchohol awareness program; yes it did come down to it being his word against that of the witness, but the action taken against him would indicate that there was at least something to it all (even if it was not a physical assault). Basically, I was just making a point to the OP and addressing the fact that clubs have a responsibility when it comes to putting wayward players onto the right path.

Edited by hardtack

We do have someone at our club who was on record for having assaulted his girlfriend in public (no need to spell it out as most would know who it is anyway)...

As someone who works in the courts I can tell you that the Melbourne player you're refering to has no criminal record for any incidents like that. Only an alegation that was never admitted to, they just consented to an order of protection being made. And as you said they seem to have gotten their life on track since then anyway.

We all know Collingwood is the club for crims anyway. Didak, Shaw, Brodie Holland and now Buckley.

Correct me if my maths here is wrong, but if she's 19 and he's 23 and they had been together for two years, when they got together she was 17 and he was 21?

Hmm.

Nothing I guess, and it obviously depends on each individual, but thinking back to when I was 21, I can't imagine wanting to go out with a 17 year old. Four years is not a big age gap, but I think there'd be a fair maturity gap between 17 and 21.

Put it this way: I was 17 at the end of year 11, and at 21 I had finished with uni and was working full time. I was at totally different stages of my life, basically.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It depends on the two people in question. The elder can be young at heart, and the younger can be mature for their age. Not saying there aren't inherent problems there, but a 4 year age gap at any age 17 and up is about right I reckon, given that guys can mature slower at times. I'm 30, and my GF of over a year is 19. And we show no signs of immaturity problems... Well... except for my obsession with a game.

What is it about this thread that you hate ?

I don’t like the thread because it highlights some very serious allegations, with the tacit implication that they are true. So far, all we have is one person publicly accusing another person, but the OP gives absolutely no mention whatsoever to the fact that Buckley might be innocent of the much more serious charges directed towards him. If the OP had said “if true, we don’t want behaviour like this at the club” or “even if only the part about the car is true, we don’t want this at the club”, there'd be no real issue. But the stuff you choose to leave out, can often have just as much bearing on the way a text is read as the stuff you include: case in point, all the OP did was link to an article containing accusations of domestic abuse against an ex player, with the line “we don’t want behaviour like this at our club”, which makes it pretty easy to read the OP as saying “Simon Buckley is guilty of domestic abuse, and we don’t want that at our club”.

Seemingly, unlike you, I find the keying of another person's car "reprehensible".

I won't even dignify this. You're smart enough to know what I meant, and it had nothing to do with defending vandalism.

Edited by two sheds jackson