Girls Playing Footy!

little_kara

Girls and Footy!  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey all,

i was just wondering what you all thought about girls playing football. Last year we had a few girls want to play just in the under 15s back home and we were divided as to whether they should be allowed to or not.

What do you all think?? I dont mind if your all like "Football is a man's sport" as some of the guys were im just interested to know

stevens_gal

xxx

yeah i have no probs with girls playing footy, the problem is there are big differences between the physical development (size - height and weight, and muscle size/development). i am talking in generalities but they are pretty true. a 14 year old boy is bigger and stronger than a girl the same age. and even when the girl has the advantage of size the boy often has more strength. the reason girls cant play footy is so they dont get hurt. you also have the obvious sexual reprecussions. most blokes would feel it inappropriate to tackle a girl around the chest even if they girl doesnt mind the contact coz its part of the game. but if thats the case, who decides acceptable or unacceptable contact? it causes too much problems.

unfortunately there are not enough girls playing footy to have leagues of a decent standard (compared with boys footy). it sucks but i dont think girls can play with boys in this instance.

spot on deanox, the physical difference is too great as kids start to get older. Girls playing in the younger ages is a good idea though, i have seen numerous games in my local league where girls have been best on ground, far outplaying the boys but when they go up one or two age groups they just arent big enough to compete. there is a girls league at the park down the road and the standard is shocking!! would like to see something done about that if there is anything that can be done

So.....who pulled my post regarding my thoughts on women playing rules & suggested attire?

A tad conservative & prudish don't you think! Does any particular modertor who may have been resaponsible, come forward,show themselves & discusss?

Perhaps just a glitch on the system? I for one would like to know.

Moving on, I agree with Yze..a very pertinent point Magic and a pre-requisite for such a visual slant on the game

Regardless of whether they are better, worse or equally good as the guys, I feel alot less comfortable when playing against a female. I tend to go softer at the ball in fear that I might hurt them, and am less likely to go for a strong tackle or good bump, etc.

I have nothing against them playing their own competition, but contact sports should not be mixed.

hi all, lol...someone wants to hear from me...wow!!! lol...strange

ok so my thoughts on the issue.

i think the girls should b able to play up to a certain age BUT i think its a mans game- to be played anyway.

I think that girls shouldnt be able to play with boys after like 12 years of age coz wot boy is going to wanna tackle a girl- it would b like girl bashing! But girl competitions are fine i guess from any age.

I don't like playing footy and i think that girls that play footy are generally butch and scary.

I played footy for 2 years at my high school in a girls competition and i sucked hardcore coz i wasn't butch enough OR scary enough! i kept making friends with the girls that i was playing against...yeahhhh so when the ball was nowhere to be seen me and the girl i was against would have conversations about boys,work, friends etc lol

My coach told me i had to be more agressive.

AND THATS MY STORY!!

does that answer the question?

luv betty :)

I don't like playing footy and i think that girls that play footy are generally butch and scary.

I played footy for 2 years at my high school in a girls competition and i sucked hardcore coz i wasn't butch enough OR scary enough! i kept making friends with the girls that i was playing against...yeahhhh so when the ball was nowhere to be seen me and the girl i was against would have conversations about boys,work, friends etc lol

My coach told me i had to be more agressive

Its probably good you didnt go to my school then...our girls football teams were banned because they got into a massive brawl with Kooweerup once. But then thats my gangsta school for ya!

hi all, lol...someone wants to hear from me...wow!!! lol...strange

ok so my thoughts on the issue.

i think the girls should b able to play up to a certain age BUT i think its a mans game- to be played anyway.

I think that girls shouldnt be able to play with boys after like 12 years of age coz wot boy is going to wanna tackle a girl- it would b like girl bashing! But girl competitions are fine i guess from any age.

AND THATS MY STORY!!

does that answer the question?

luv betty :)

I think that pretty much sums up this whole debate. Who ever said that if women didnt have, well, u know what i'm talking about, they should have a bounty on their heads. I for one give 'Betty S' a vote for this balanced view. And, cheers to Dalrot for ur help with my req!!

Case dismissed!

I think that pretty much sums up this whole debate. Who ever said that if women didnt have, well, u know what i'm talking about, they should have a bounty on their heads. I for one give 'Betty S' a vote for this balanced view. And, cheers to Dalrot for ur help with my req!!

Case dismissed!

Are you being sarcastic?

Who ever said that if women didnt have, well, u know what i'm talking about, they should have a bounty on their heads....... And, cheers to Dalrot for ur help with my req!!

lol no worries. However im not sure what your talking bout??? Miss 'betty' here knows where its at!

• 3 years later...

I've coached girls for the past 8 years at a high school level. Some of my most enjoyable teaching experiences have come from coaching girls Australian Rules Football. 3 minutes into my first game I had a girl dislocate her kneecap and by the end of the day the ambulance had been called 3 times! I definitely thought that this was not going to be one of my best ideas. 8 years on and I'm coaching a team that has won the South East Queensland title 2 years running and is a couple of games away from their three-peat! The girls go in really hard, are developing some great skills and now have a pathway to follow with U16 and U18 Queensland and South-east Queensland teams available. As much as I enjoy coaching the boys teams, its the girls that generate so much excitement. As a coach you witness rapid improvement and feel that your advice and instructions are really taken on board. I think girls are often encouraged to get involved and then not pushed hard enough. I tell my girls that the thing I can do to show them the highest level of respect is to treat them like boys. I push them hard, demand hard running and put simply, I don't treat them like girls. We train twice a week (like a club team) and we get the most out of our sessions. Seeing the girls get from contest to contest to contest and really learn what "gut running" is all about, is incredibly rewarding and I believe, teaches them a life long lesson. Too often we allow girls to make excuses for themselves physically and opt out when the going gets tough. Initially the idea of playing football was a novelty. Now, it is an integral part of our school culture. The secret to the success our school and teams enjoy is developing a culture where younger girls are encouraged to get involved and learn very quickly from the older, experienced girls what is expected. It's very much a sink or swim environment where those who survive the physical nature of the game during initial training sessions and practice games are well prepared for the serious stuff that lies ahead. Tom Hanks was famous for his, "there's no crying in baseball" quote from 'A League Of Their Own'. I adopted the same principle but exchanged the word crying with squeeling! And I'm pleased to say that it's been quite a few years since I've had to wheel out that old chestnut.

Each year the girls get better and better and I sincerely hope that one day there will be an equivalent to the WNBA or W-League that replicates the national leagues of Basketball and Soccer respectivley.

Edited by Goodvibes

Would love to be tackling an athletic young lady!

On a serious note though, I do think that after a certain age, the girls should be separate from the guys - but i don't think that it should be a rule set in stone. I think that if a girl or woman wishes to put her hand up to play with the boys or men, she should be allowed to play.

Can't remember which game it was earlier this year where they had the girls playing before the main game (i think the score was 110 - 0, sadly), but some of those girls knew how to move and how to throw their weight around.