The crowd

Of the 26,763 people at the game yesterday I would say that just under half were Melbourne supporters (roughly 12,000), that means there were only about 14,000 North Melbourne supporters at the game.

That must surely be a worry for the Kangaroos who were coming off a good win against the Hawks with some very promising young players. On top of that (from where I was sitting at least) there didn't seem to be much enthusiasm from their supporters and they were fairly quiet considering how well they played.

Richmond on the other hand got flogged today but you at least know their supporters will turn up next week and the week after and they will be vocal in their support.

I don't want to stick the boot into North because they played well (deserved the win) and have some good young players, but surely they must be worried by this.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 26,763 people at the game yesterday I would say that just under half were Melbourne supporters (roughly 12,000), that means there were only about 14,000 North Melbourne supporters at the game.

That must surely be a worry for the Kangaroos who were coming off a good win against the Hawks with some very promising young players. On top of that (from where I was sitting at least) there didn't seem to be much enthusiasm from their supporters and they were fairly quiet considering how well they played.

Richmond on the other hand got flogged today but you at least know their supporters will turn up next week and the week after and they will be vocal in their support.

I don't want to stick the boot into North because they played well (deserved the win) and have some good young players, but surely they must be worried by this.

I agree with you 100% Clint. Not only was it a poor turnout for a saturday afternoon game in perfect conditions after they'd had a win and were playing against a team that they would have considered themselves a chance against, but the ones who were there made no noise. The loudest the crowd got was during the 3rd quarter when Melbourne had their run and the Melbourne supporters were making all of that noise.

Personally I find the North supporters the most un-passionate and non vocal of all supporters.

Edited by Tall Defence

I was shocked how few fans North have..........they've come off a good win, and for a home game, the support they had was terrible.

They should have taken the Gold Coast offer..........I cannot see them surviving long term.

Nothing against elderly folks we will all get there one day but i have noticed for years that every time i go to a north game you see a hell of a lot elderly folks with blue hair.

My point elderly folks tend to be a bit subdued compared to younger folks.

I know its a different Stadium but hard to believe we got 36000 against a team relocated out of Melbourne and then only 26000 against an actual Melbourne based team.

Not good signs for both teams really at 26000.

What is the break even point for games at that 'stadium?

'

I know its a different Stadium but hard to believe we got 36000 against a team relocated out of Melbourne and then only 26000 against an actual Melbourne based team.

'

It was about 34,000 at Eddies Hat Stadium, but that was pre the new stadium agreement. Not sure what it is now. I wouldn't be to worried about Melbourne's crowds. Ours are on the incease. It's North that's the worry.

I sat in the North supporters section with a North friend. They were very quiet. The noise from the other side of the ground was far louder. It just reminds me how lucky we are to be at the MCG. Essendon and Carlton fans must be gutted they have to play there so much, not that I care.

'

Yes i agree with what you have said but dees supporters generally do not like the stuped dome.

We dont play well there and the people that work there are rude compared to the mcg.

I was shocked how few fans North have..........they've come off a good win, and for a home game, the support they had was terrible.

They should have taken the Gold Coast offer..........I cannot see them surviving long term.

No, they shouldnt have taken the Gold Coast offer, because if they did they would no longer be North Melbourne, they would be the Gold Coast. I never understand this argument. How many people honestly believe that the Brisbane Bears have anything to do with Fitzroy.

It's just a sneaky convenient way of the AFL getting a team to fold.

End of rant.

No, they shouldnt have taken the Gold Coast offer, because if they did they would no longer be North Melbourne, they would be the Gold Coast. I never understand this argument. How many people honestly believe that the Brisbane Bears have anything to do with Fitzroy.

They would have some continuity of playing list etc in the new entity in the Gold Coast and a better hope of survival.

Subject to the AFL's whim, NM look precarious. I dont think the situation with Brisbane and Fitzroy is a good analogy. South Melbourne to Sydney would have been better.

Anyway they have dug their trench and can lie in it.

Didnt you hear... White Knights were to appear and save them.... still waiting apparently!! The other boat has sailed. You can sort of see how our future will brighten ( but we ought to stil maintain one eye looking over our shoulders at the spectre called insolvency ) but even with Norths new facilies and Arroccas enthusiams for lateral thinking in the revenue arena you just get the feeling they could slide into the oblivion at any moment.

They would have some continuity of playing list etc in the new entity in the Gold Coast and a better hope of survival.

Subject to the AFL's whim, NM look precarious. I dont think the situation with Brisbane and Fitzroy is a good analogy. South Melbourne to Sydney would have been better.

Anyway they have dug their trench and can lie in it.

Either way, it's no longer your club if you move IMO. If we became the Darwin Demons that would be it for me. Would take up marbles and not support anyone.

Lol I was sitting next to this bogan Melbourne supporter. Every single word was C that F that. Normally I'm not one to get flustered by this type of behaviour but this was pretty ugly especially when there were kids in front of him. i ended up telling him in the nicest possible way if he could try and refrain from it. He agreed only if i would admit Frawley was a f ing retard. In response I asked him how he felt about Frawley's game last week on the best forward in the game.

Either way, it's no longer your club if you move IMO. If we became the Darwin Demons that would be it for me. Would take up marbles and not support anyone.

Agree. But its better than not having a club in the future.

And by the m'ship and spectaotor numbers...not many seem to care either.

Definitely not the only people to see that the North fans were really bloody quiet all things considering. I was up in the boondocks on level 3 around towards the wing a little, and the only *real* roar i heard from the North fans was when Stager Harvey ran around Barts and kicked a goal (should have done better, the young man).

They should have been loving the fact they were 7 goals up on anybody and going crazy. As we charged back in the 3rd quarter, the place was alive! Roos fans should have been loud and proud well before that point.

Really don't like that dump. Looking forwards to sitting in a stadium with atmosphere.

Definitely not the only people to see that the North fans were really bloody quiet all things considering. I was up in the boondocks on level 3 around towards the wing a little, and the only *real* roar i heard from the North fans was when Stager Harvey ran around Barts and kicked a goal (should have done better, the young man).

They should have been loving the fact they were 7 goals up on anybody and going crazy. As we charged back in the 3rd quarter, the place was alive! Roos fans should have been loud and proud well before that point.

Really don't like that dump. Looking forwards to sitting in a stadium with atmosphere.

Triple R have a show on where architects talk all things architect-y. One of them went to the World Cup in Germany and he reported that the amazing Allianz Stadium in Munich was "everything that the Docklands stadium isn't" in terms of atmosphere.

It's just a sneaky convenient way of the AFL getting a team to fold.

End of rant.

The bottom line is whether North Melbourne can pull a crowd down in melbourne or pay their bills. I don't think they can on either front going forward, so they should have taken the AFL's carrot and gone up to the Gold Coast.

Why do we need North Melbourne in the AFL anyway when Melbourne was around since 1858. The is no North Essendon or North Collingwood, so why should our great name be diluted?

I have never liked North..End of My Rant B) Go Demons B)

The bottom line is whether North Melbourne can pull a crowd down in melbourne or pay their bills. I don't think they can on either front going forward, so they should have taken the AFL's carrot and gone up to the Gold Coast.

Why do we need North Melbourne in the AFL anyway when Melbourne was around since 1858. The is no North Essendon or North Collingwood, so why should our great name be diluted?

I have never liked North..End of My Rant B) Go Demons B)

Because North Melbourne is a suburb unto it's own, much like Richmond is, and Collinwood is, and St Kilda is...I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, I really hope you were

everyone should be getting to the 'G' this friday night to support the boys and show those bloody kangaroos how to pull a crowd. we'll be well and truely under dogs but we'll still come out with at least 40.000.

P.s Eddie Hat statium is a sh_thole i dont even like watching games on tv at that stadium because for 1 when the roof is closed it just reminds me of a game of basketball and secondly when the roof is open on a nice day its got shocking sun glair that is smack in the middle of the groung while the goal lines and wings are shadded, its terrible!!!!

Because North Melbourne is a suburb unto it's own, much like Richmond is, and Collinwood is, and St Kilda is...I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, I really hope you were

No i am being Quite Serious actually-A Club like North Melbourne was able to survive in the league whilst Arden St was a going concern Weekly choock Raffles helped clubs Pay their Bills

But those days are long over. Clubs Like North & Port Adelaide should not be in the AFL. They are or will become a huge Liability unless Brayshaws "white Knights" appear....and we are all still waiting.

No i am being Quite Serious actually-A Club like North Melbourne was able to survive in the league whilst Arden St was a going concern Weekly choock Raffles helped clubs Pay their Bills

You clearly have not read the history of the North Melbourne football club.

You clearly have not read the history of the North Melbourne football club.

What have i missed that will make them an on going concern in Melbourne RR.?? Can North Generate $40-50 mill a year to compete with other clubs?

With their Membership & attendance figures i seriously doubt it.

I never really understood the whole "Melbourne supporters don't like the Dome" theory until the weekend- it's just a terrible, terrible place to watch the football. The seating on the bottom level is too low to the ground so you don't get a good idea of the space around the play, the seating on the second level is off limits to non-medallion club members (and dare say, away team club members) and you can't see the near boundary line from the top level.

Serious planning issues with that place.

Can't wait to get back to the 'G this Friday night.