Mark Jamar

jayceebee31

No surprise? Pre-2008 most people on here had written Jamar off at some stage and some have written him off since.

No, to me it was no surprise. That he's started actually touching the ball does come as a surprise, but that he's become influential in the ruck contests is not surprising. If PJ does start becoming influential (in the ruck) I will be surprised, because by nature he's not very physical.

He will almost certainly be given another chance to prove himself (IMO no player who is still on the list should ever have a line through his name), but I'm not expecting much.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing about ruckmen at Melbourne. They all seem to do better going solo as Jimmy and Jeff White did before the Russian.

Not sure about that in the case of Jimmy. Undoubtedly HE preferred to be the sole ruckman. But, have to say I reckon Melb was a MUCH better team when Strawbs O'Dwyer and Jimmy went into the team together. Strawbs was a great knock ruckman, while Jimmy was great around the ground. Think when they were both in the team together, we won more games than we lost. (At least that's the way my fading memory recalls it...)

PJ's season last year is underated amongst posters.

More likely correctly assessed. It was overall bog ordinary and he failed to establish any capability to perform or compete consistently at AFL level. He is weak above his shoulders (ruck or marking) and has no physical presence in a pack or contest. Offers little up forward. He has little or no accountability for the other big man around. Its ironic that even Flopsy Fraser tore him apart in the QBW last year. Plays like a 200cm rover.

I hoping for better options than PJ asap.

Not sure about that in the case of Jimmy. Undoubtedly HE preferred to be the sole ruckman. But, have to say I reckon Melb was a MUCH better team when Strawbs O'Dwyer and Jimmy went into the team together. Strawbs was a great knock ruckman, while Jimmy was great around the ground. Think when they were both in the team together, we won more games than we lost. (At least that's the way my fading memory recalls it...)

Strawbs was finished by 1989 after 2 good years in 1987 and 1988. I thought Jummy had him covered in 1990/91. Jimmy was sensational in his brownlow year.

Jamar's second to Godzilla, sorry, Sandilands in the hit-outs at the moment. Only two weeks into the season, but that's the first time a Dees ruckman has been anywhere near the best in the league in that stat for a long long time. (Neither White nor Stynes were ever much chop at the bounces, their brilliance was all around-the-ground stuff)

More likely correctly assessed. It was overall bog ordinary and he failed to establish any capability to perform or compete consistently at AFL level. He is weak above his shoulders (ruck or marking) and has no physical presence in a pack or contest. Offers little up forward. He has little or no accountability for the other big man around. Its ironic that even Flopsy Fraser tore him apart in the QBW last year. Plays like a 200cm rover.

I hoping for better options than PJ asap.

PJ is weak for his size but so was Jamar prior to the start of last year, how often did we see him get pushed aside by much smaller players.

Perhaps he might learn from the Russian that the only way you can succeed at this level, at that position, is to be physical. If he does he could be good for us his skill at this stage is better than Jamar's was at the same point in his career. He would also have to learn to make better decisions with his disposals but that would come with more confidence. Would Jamar have attempted to take on players a couple of years ago?

PJ is weak for his size but so was Jamar prior to the start of last year, how often did we see him get pushed aside by much smaller players.

Perhaps he might learn from the Russian that the only way you can succeed at this level, at that position, is to be physical. If he does he could be good for us his skill at this stage is better than Jamar's was at the same point in his career. He would also have to learn to make better decisions with his disposals but that would come with more confidence. Would Jamar have attempted to take on players a couple of years ago?

Yes. Jamar has always played a physical game. As you state PJ does not impact the contest for his size. Jamar was already show signs of what we saw on Saturday in 2008. I recall he repeatedly jumped into Sandilands against Freo and nullified him. He does the body on body work well and is prepared to clear a path in a contest. PJ does neither and as you pointed out his decision making under pressure is poor.

Jamar's second to Godzilla, sorry, Sandilands in the hit-outs at the moment. Only two weeks into the season, but that's the first time a Dees ruckman has been anywhere near the best in the league in that stat for a long long time. (Neither White nor Stynes were ever much chop at the bounces, their brilliance was all around-the-ground stuff)

Your brain must be over ripe if you think White and Stynes(JIMMA) were not good at the bounces- they changed the centre line bounce which then stuffed it up for White whom at 195 cms was too small- I also thought Jamar at 198 cms would be far too short but this has proved to be wrong in the last two years.But look out fo Gawn when he arrives. At 208 cms tall and still growing -WOW and he can kick goals as well. :blink:

Edited by jayceebee31

I might be wrong, but I remember it differently.

I was at the game though & don't have foxtel.

I didn't see it during the live broadcast, & I only saw it on sunday replay, but then just caught an out of the corner of the eye glance.

Anyway, it was a incredibly good bit of play by an individual player whos on the rise.

Jaymar killed them in the ruck on his own. What a legend