Petterd for Full Forward

Eth

He can take a big contested mark, he's a long kick, he can run and dive very well, and most importantly, he kicks goals. So, he seems like the perfect candidate. What do you guys think?

By the way, he's getting my six points today VERY easily. He nearly won us the game, but he didn't take that mark in the goalsquare in the dying seconds (cough TRIP cough)

He can take a big contested mark, he's a long kick, he can run and dive very well, and most importantly, he kicks goals. So, he seems like the perfect candidate. What do you guys think?

By the way, he's getting my six points today VERY easily. He nearly won us the game, but he didn't take that mark in the goalsquare in the dying seconds (cough TRIP cough)

Full forward and Centre Half Forward are funny positions nowadays. True FF/CHF are bigger units that demand the bigger defenders. Petterd does not fit this category, but that is not taking anything away from him. He adds an extra scoring option, especially when you fast forward a year or two when Watts and Martin/Fitzpatrick(?) are our key forwards.

I cringe when people call Jurrah our FF, I hated it when people called Robbo our FF, and I don't like the talk that Petterd is a FF. Sorry!

Full forward and Centre Half Forward are funny positions nowadays. True FF/CHF are bigger units that demand the bigger defenders. Petterd does not fit this category, but that is not taking anything away from him. He adds an extra scoring option, especially when you fast forward a year or two when Watts and Martin/Fitzpatrick(?) are our key forwards.

I cringe when people call Jurrah our FF, I hated it when people called Robbo our FF, and I don't like the talk that Petterd is a FF. Sorry!

No need for apologies Billy, but Petterd is the best we have for FF IMO. Watts is a CHF type player and Martin...well, he isn't a long term solution. But when you've got someone who can lead, run, throw himself at the ball and take big pack marks like Petterd, you'd want him in your team.

No need for apologies Billy, but Petterd is the best we have for FF IMO. Watts is a CHF type player and Martin...well, he isn't a long term solution. But when you've got someone who can lead, run, throw himself at the ball and take big pack marks like Petterd, you'd want him in your team.

Champion/Premiership sides have bigger, stronger Full Forwards than Ricky Petterd. Let him play the role he should - forward pocket/forward flank.

He is our best FF at the moment, but we wont win a flag with him staying at FF - look at Brad Johnson/Bulldogs.

He's not a full forward, but in Petterd, Jurrah, Green and a fit Matty Bate we would have 4 very dangerous marking players. In the long term we will need to find a big guy (or 2) to play down there - most likely at least Watts. But the bulldogs have shown that you can get within 2 goals of a grand final with multiple marking options. I really hope we can get the small forwards back in form as well - Maric and/or Wona!!!

Jurrah > Hill

Green = Brad Johnson

Bate isn't in the same ball park on current form but has the talent to play like Rob Murphy

Petterd, as good as Mitch Hahn?

Forwards who compete and put on the required level of pressure are so important. If they do that and have a midfield behind them they will be successful.

Yes, totally agree. We wouldn't have been in a position to be on the cusp of victory without his brilliance.

Petterd was fantastic today, but we've got to remember that todays performance was a real team effort. It wasn't just Petterds goals it was just about everyone else in a Melbourne jumper - even contributions. That will make us very, very difficult to beat. We deserved a win today, but nonetheless was very pleased with the performance. Petterd will certainly be a more than handy forward foil for Watts, LJ and Aussie when they return. The most impressive thing for me, regarding Petterd over the last two season is his physicality, his attack on the ball and his ability to keep the ball in the danger zone, our offensive 50. He's a great mark for a player of his size and knows how to kick a goal. I'd have him in my team every time. Well played today, Ricky!

Bate isn't in the same ball park on current form but has the talent to play like Rob Murphy

Apples and oranges for me. Bate will never be the player that Murphy is, although I will concede he is horribly out of form after 2 rounds.

I totally agree. Bate and Murphy play a kind of game where they are always part of the four or five touches that cause the ball to go from languishing on the half-back line to sitting cleanly in the mitts of one of their teams' forwards. Very often a part of a lot of inside 50 entries, both of them. But one thing Murphy does that Bate isn't doing currently is kicking goals.

Is good, but not FF. Green for FF till someone else arrives - Fitzp., Gawn? Not Jurrah either.

Was the best forward on the ground, but BOG was Jamar by a mile.

Its great to see Rickys development, he is one guy who is on the improve. As for Full Forward all you need is a target who contests hard and kicks goals and he did that and caused problems for Collingwoods defence.

If he maintains his progression, you throw in a Fit Matthew Bate (which he isnt yet), Jurrah, Wona, Green, Syliva and Watts when hes at the development where he should be producing, the forward line will start to trouble all teams.

He's not a full forward. Never will be. To play him there would be having him playing away from his strengths - one out, in space. He has the potential to be one of those nasty half-forwards that are too good in the air for most small defenders & too quick for most tall defenders. Like most half forwards he's likely to get bags one week & nothing the next.

Terrific game today, you could see how much that hurt, narrowly missing that mark on the siren. Sign him up before the GC get into his ear.

A natural full forward though, would have been leading towards the oncoming Bail & taken an uncontested mark & kicked from 20m out.