Changes for Rd 3 vs Adelaide

Bang Bang Bang

I just looked up the stats and it says that Bate had 16 disposals at 81% efficiency. I'm amazed.

Dudes, he was actually good. Not great, but good. I have him involved in five passages of play that led to the ball going inside our forward fifty for the game, one of which resulted in a goal. He did have one turnover that lead to the ball either leaving our arc or entering our opponent's (I can't remember which), but this turnover didn't result in a goal. In effect, nothing Bate did today ever cost us a single point. Not one thing. And on top of that, he really got the ball into dangerous positions a lot, and effectively kicked a goal as a member of the four or five people who got the ball through the goals. If every player in our team did as much as him today in this regard, we'd have had about 50 entries into our forward 50 (the only place on the ground that can actually be scored from) vs 20. Them's winning numbers for mine.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones out, Gysberts in. Bruce had better efficiency compared to Jones, although Jones seemed like he was ready to eat the pies alive.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that at all. Jones needs to get better at his decision making. My question is, would Gysberts currently have the build to sustain an AFL match? He's a skinny lad, the last I saw of him.

Edited by AdamFarr

Dudes, he was actually good. Not great, but good. I have him involved in five passages of play that led to the ball going inside our forward fifty for the game, one of which resulted in a goal. He did have one turnover that lead to the ball either leaving our arc or entering our opponent's (I can't remember which), but this turnover didn't result in a goal. In effect, nothing Bate did today ever cost us a single point. Not one thing. And on top of that, he really got the ball into dangerous positions a lot, and effectively kicked a goal as a member of the four or five people who got the ball through the goals. If every player in our team did as much as him today in this regard, we'd have had about 50 entries into our forward 50 (the only place on the ground that can actually be scored from) vs 20. Them's winning numbers for mine.

Weird, because I was in the same boat (thinking Bate's game was ordinary). I thought he had a shocker, but I guess he must have won a lot of it up the ground, where it's less noticeable (but just as important though!).

Jones out, Gysberts in. Bruce had better efficiency compared to Jones, although Jones seemed like he was ready to eat the pies alive.

Efficiency can be a misleading statistic. A player may cleanly handball or kick to a team mate, but if that team mate is already uner the pump and/or out of position then that possession is counter productive.

Like last week, Cam put team mates under the hammer with poorly conceived disposal.

He needs to stop doing this quickly as it's becoming a liability in our backline and causing direct turnovers resulting in goals.

He should not be immune to the selectors' scrutiny based purely on reputation.

As the kids start to improve at a rate of knots (and they already are), Bruce's position will no longer be safe. He could get away with a few bad games in 2008 and 2009 because we had NO-ONE else to turn to that had a mature (ish) body.

With Scully and Trengove occupying two spots, along with a raft of 19 year olds champing at the bit... and now Bail playing well, McKenzie...

Bruce is going to be under the pump in a BIG way.

I'm pretty certain that Frawley played mostly on Medhurst, who had no influence after a matchwilling performance the previous week. Frawley made a few errors but his run was typically excellent.

It was an excellent match up. Medhurst is an excellent mark for his size and really needs a tall to run with him- other sides will need to make a similar adjustment with Ricky Petterd and Col Sylvia - smalls won't have the reach to stop them over head. That match up and Grimes on Didak went a significant way to curtailing their scoring opportunities. I think Warnock and Bruce were tag teaming on Cloke and Anthony. The match ups were pretty good I thought.

Bate didn't get a lot of the ball, but he was a lot better than many of the Bater Haters out there are saying. I doubt that either he or Bruce will be dropped.

Edited by grazman

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

In : Sylvia, Maric

Out : Bate, Bennell.

You better lift Bruce cos your next.

That I like. Bate needs to be fitter and Bennell needs to be shown that shirking contests is just not good enough at this level no matter how much talent you have.

Bruce - I just don't know. He gets so much of it but wastes it far too much. A good player that can easily become a liability if he is not switched on.

Why Scully? He is very young and we should not run him into the ground.

Something tells me nobody could run Scully into the ground. The guy had his stress fractures aged 15. He might suffer from the repetitive impact but he'll outrun anyone at the club, any day. His game yesterday wasn't perfect but he's on the way for sure. He ran off Sidebottom through the first quarter and Malthouse shifted Lockyer onto his wing in the second quarter to force him to man up. It's a pretty big deal when one of your first year players is causing headaches for the opposition coach.

Drop Frawley?! OMFG.

The only time Melbourne was caught in a handball ring-a-ring-a-rosey nightmare yesterday, Frawley tucked the thing under his arm and ran it out of defence himself. At a 'good team' he'd be getting the plaudits he deserves. Frawley will play finals for us. JR might not. What would we get out of dropping Frawley? If you're teaching someone to play on the best opposition forwards, they'll learn nothing at Casey.

I'd drop Bate for Sylvia.

I agree. Bate is supposed to be giving us a marking target up forward but he is not doing the job at the moment and so a stint in Casey wont do the fitness any harm and it hopefully work in his and our favour. I am not a huge fan.

Sylvia is great in the marking dept so covers that problem, can kick a goal and was in great form before he was injured.

Not sure dropping Bennell is the way to go. Yes, that was a pretty ordinary effort and he should have been dragged for it but there must have been a reason why he wasn't so I wouldnt expect he will be dropped for it either.

Drop Frawley??? Are you mad?? Yes he made a couple of blunders but he is our future. For the most part he did a great job on Medhurst. He will know what he needs to improve on and his pride will see it happen.

Bruce on the other hand just never seems to change. For a senior player he makes far too many errors in disposal and SHOULD be dropped but doubt he will be. This may change later when we get some of our injured players back as we will be able to afford more disciplinary ommissions. I would hope that the coaching staff would get in his ear though as it's not good enough when he has so many young guys surrounding him and needing senior guidance.

That I like. Bate needs to be fitter and Bennell needs to be shown that shirking contests is just not good enough at this level no matter how much talent you have.

Bruce - I just don't know. He gets so much of it but wastes it far too much. A good player that can easily become a liability if he is not switched on.

Agree on all fronts, although I`d rather Rivers back in if available than Maric, who does not appear to be firing at Casey either. Love the Master, but with his limited pre season, he probably should not have played these 1st 2 games. You know he will get fitter and improve, and a run at casey won`t hurt.

Bennell did some excellent things y`day but I`d not be upset if he has a rest. Much has been said about the `shirk`. I know he`s young, and this sounds harsh, but the whole team needs to watch the footage and be told if you want to be in the best 22, you have to `go` in this situation. We have enough depth now to warrant a big message go out to all players. He will learn from it and if he does indeed get dropped, you can be sure he will`go` next time he is in this situation.

Gysberts must be close too! Named as an emergency y`day and may get a call-up!

Agree on all fronts, although I`d rather Rivers back in if available than Maric, who does not appear to be firing at Casey either. Love the Master, but with his limited pre season, he probably should not have played these 1st 2 games. You know he will get fitter and improve, and a run at casey won`t hurt.

Bennell did some excellent things y`day but I`d not be upset if he has a rest. Much has been said about the `shirk`. I know he`s young, and this sounds harsh, but the whole team needs to watch the footage and be told if you want to be in the best 22, you have to `go` in this situation. We have enough depth now to warrant a big message go out to all players. He will learn from it and if he does indeed get dropped, you can be sure he will`go` next time he is in this situation.

Gysberts must be close too! Named as an emergency y`day and may get a call-up!

Prob Bate was played despite not having much match practice was a necessity due to Sylvia's broken jaw. Until then Sylvia was in great form and most people would have had him in the supercoach teams. I had to take him out and it hurt... he will be back in the minute he is named. Bate to go and Rivers for Bartram.

Should Garland be available shortly, Bruce had better lift his game because what he is supposed to be doing, I am sure Garland will be able to do and he is our future.

I am not sure how many people did what I did, but I am a glutton for punishment, cos I went to the game and then came home and watched the replay on IQ.

Having watched it, I find some comments ridiculous and some great, but we are all open to our opinions.

Frawley will not be dropped. Killed Medhurst and ran out the ball well, made 1 bad mistake, but was very good and will continue to improve. Can play on talls and smalls, very valuable.

At the ground I thought Bate was less than average, but having watched the replay he did more than I thought, he was not great, but did more than I thought. He needs more game time to get fit, and whoever asked how long we can use that excuse, well it takes 4-5 games to get match fitness, so I would say by round 5 he will be back to his best.

IN regards to Bruce, I thought he gave away 3 goals through stupid decisions, ones which a first year player would get away with, but not him.

Bennell shirked on issue, but also dove head first at the goal post to mark the ball. I am sure he will earn and I think he will be very good for us in the future, just give him time.

SO

IN: Sylvia, Rivers

OUT: Bartram (unlucky), Newton

It is great to think we have the choice of bringing others in but cant find space. Means you need to play well to keep your place.

Edited by Yokozuna

Does anyone know what happen to Spencer pregame. Injured??

The official reason was apparently a "hip flexor". I think "hip flexor" means the selectors decided to include an extra medium sized tagger instead of a second ruckman.

For those waiting to see whether Brad Miller does well at Casey this weekend, don't hold your breath. The Scorpions played a low key practice match against A Section Amateur team De La Salle on Thursday night. I'm informed that a few of our players took part but Miller wasn't one of them. Stef Martin did well and PJ made his comeback after a foot injury and played about a half. Colin Garland and Jack Watts didn't play either but trained on Friday morning at the Junction Oval.

I think for Adelaide this week we should see Colin Sylvia and Stef Martin come into the side. I'm not sure which players will suddenly develop "hip flexor" or "knee" injuries :) for them to be omitted.

It was an excellent match up. Medhurst is an excellent mark for his size and really needs a tall to run with him- other sides will need to make a similar adjustment with Ricky Petterd and Col Sylvia - smalls won't have the reach to stop them over head. That match up and Grimes on Didak went a significant way to curtailing their scoring opportunities. I think Warnock and Bruce were tag teaming on Cloke and Anthony. The match ups were pretty good I thought.

Bate didn't get a lot of the ball, but he was a lot better than many of the Bater Haters out there are saying. I doubt that either he or Bruce will be dropped.

If you look at the stats, Bruce was 7th in possessions with 19 and Bate 11th with 16. Neither of them disgraceful as some would have us believe on this site. I thought Cam Bruce did a useful stopping role down back and Bate provided a running target. Not his best game i admit, but serviceable nevertheless inspite of the fact that he does not look fully fit. Either does Aaron Davey by the way, but he played a blinder.

The official reason was apparently a "hip flexor". I think "hip flexor" means the selectors decided to include an extra medium sized tagger instead of a second ruckman.

For those waiting to see whether Brad Miller does well at Casey this weekend, don't hold your breath. The Scorpions played a low key practice match against A Section Amateur team De La Salle on Thursday night. I'm informed that a few of our players took part but Miller wasn't one of them. Stef Martin did well and PJ made his comeback after a foot injury and played about a half. Colin Garland and Jack Watts didn't play either but trained on Friday morning at the Junction Oval.

I think for Adelaide this week we should see Colin Sylvia and Stef Martin come into the side. I'm not sure which players will suddenly develop "hip flexor" or "knee" injuries :) for them to be omitted.

Happy to hear PJ played a half, I was expecting at least another 2 weeks out. On last years efforts he is probably not even best 22 but there will be a few games where he will get picked just to help the Russian out and be a decoy forward! How nice would it be if he showed improvement such as Jamar has this year! Not impossible.

Happy to hear PJ played a half, I was expecting at least another 2 weeks out. On last years efforts he is probably not even best 22 but there will be a few games where he will get picked just to help the Russian out and be a decoy forward! How nice would it be if he showed improvement such as Jamar has this year! Not impossible.

Agree he has the ability, and is a better option than either Martin or Spencer IMO. If we did that though, I hope we give the Russian a key marking role in the pocket up forward - I think he shows great promise as a key forward, and would greatly add to his terrific form on the ball, and would require the other team to put either their number one defender on him, or rest another ruckman down back. An exciting prospect.

Agree. I'm pretty certain that Frawley played mostly on Medhurst, who had no influence after a matchwilling performance the previous week. Frawley made a few errors but his run was typically excellent.

Great match up. Not too many would have predicted that before the game. In fact I think most of the match ups today were superb.

Grimes and Frawley killed Didak and Medhurst.

For people calling for Frawley to be dropped, or getting into the defenders, just ask yourself this: What is a defenders #1 job?

Attcking play from the backline is the second thing you do once you have beaten your man.

Just ask Heath Shaw what his coach, the supporters and media think of his game yesterday?

Drop Frawley?! OMFG.

The only time Melbourne was caught in a handball ring-a-ring-a-rosey nightmare yesterday, Frawley tucked the thing under his arm and ran it out of defence himself. At a 'good team' he'd be getting the plaudits he deserves. Frawley will play finals for us. JR might not. What would we get out of dropping Frawley? If you're teaching someone to play on the best opposition forwards, they'll learn nothing at Casey.

Agree - Anyone that suggests dropping Frawley has NFI

He is the main muscle of the backline & destroyed Medhurst who was coming off a bag of goals against the Dogs

Think before you Post & maybe even get along to a few games to see what really happens on game day.

:) G'day Jack. I've heard it on good authority that he is 'hip' & flexible with the match committees decision. :rolleyes:

Newton stays unless another possible ruckman comes in. So if the FD wants to try Martin as a ruckman, or bring Spencer back, then Newton goes, but otherwise he has to stay. Jamar's good, but he can't play all game, every game.

Sylvia comes in if fit. I forgot about Rivers, if he's fit he probably comes in too.

For once, it's harder to think of who goes out rather than who comes in.

But there's no need to make more than 2 changes. Let's reward the youngsters who got us so close to a memorable victory (i.e. Bennell, Strauss, Scully, Trengove, Bail).

I think the possible outs are Bate (just doesn't look fit), Bartram (he wasn't our worst, but he isn't a part of our future) and Bruce (not good at all, a drop to Casey could spark something in him).

I've never had an 'ignore' list on demonland before but, for whatever it means, anyone who says Frawley wasn't at least very good today is on it

He wasn't that good yesterday. I have no problems saying that. He fumbled it overhead, and his kicks weren't flash. He played better last year.

But dropping him would be stupid. Very, very stupid.

Can't see what game you were watching. Thought Bruce was serviceable.

In: Sylvia, Rivers, Garland* - These 3 must play if fit.

Out: Bennell, Strauss, Bartram*

FB: Frawley Warnock Grimes

HB: MacDonald Rivers Bruce

C: Trengove Moloney Davey

HF: Bail Bate Sylvia

FF: Petterd Green Dunn

Foll: Jamar McDonald McKenzie

Int: Newton, Scully, Jones, Garland

I heard on the radio that Rivers should be right to go. Not sure about Garland. If he's not then Bartram gets a game ahead of Strauss as his defensive work is better. We need that at the moment. I hate to drop Strauss but he will get plenty more chances. Some confidence in the VFL won't hurt him.

Bate gets 1 more chance for mine. Started to get into the match a little in the second half. We still lack marking targets and players who can kick. If Miller dominated/s for Casey I'd probably bring him in instead. Bail and Bennell both played as defensive forwards today, I'd stick with Bail. It's probably not his best position but he did a job for the team today, just couldn't win the game.

Newton can keep the back up ruck/forward job. If Spencer or Martin want to do it they can earn it!

Good post.......I would relace Newton with Miller as he has more upside. He presents better and is a consistently stronger mark - plus he has a cute WAG (lol)

For people calling for Frawley to be dropped, or getting into the defenders, just ask yourself this: What is a defenders #1 job?

Attcking play from the backline is the second thing you do once you have beaten your man.

Just ask Heath Shaw what his coach, the supporters and media think of his game yesterday?

I disagree. A football player's job, in my opinion is to create as many entries into the area of the ground that you can score from, while minimising the amount of time it spends in the backline (where your opponents can score from). Anything else that happens is irrelivent, since it doesn't create or prevent scoring opportunities.

I said yesterday that we should drop Frawley based on what I saw was his poor disposal. But having watched the game again, once now at the ground an once on TV, I now admit that Frawley was much better than I had previously thought. No way should we drop him. He was responsible for four or five turnovers that resulted in the ball entering our d50 when he was up the ground yesterday. However, to compensate, he was involved in around ten passages of play that resulted in the ball leaving our defensive 50, although a couple of these times were simply quick chip-ins from kick-ins. His disposal yesterday was poor enough to render his good defensive/attacking game against Medhurst less valuable than it should have been, but I now believe he did more than enough to make up for it.

So having watched the game twice, I am happy to admit that I was wrong about Frawley's impact on helping us score more than Collingwood (which is ultimately the aim of the game).

INS: Sylvia.

OUTS: Newton.

Edited by Chook

Golly, Maric played poorly @ Casey thursday night stuffing his kicks on numerous occaisions.

He doesn't yet deserve a go. I was hoping he was ready.

ok Sylvia for Bate then.

Cheers for the heads up on Maric.