Changes for Rd 3 vs Adelaide

Bang Bang Bang

Gee it is getting really hard to pick the side. Everyone will need to be on their game to stay in, as discussed in today's Australian

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/demons-chasing-a-rare-double/story-e6frg7mf-1225851124688

Here's my go for this week:

In: Sylvia, Rivers, Garland

Out: Strauss, Bartrum Jones

Proposed Side

B: Bruce Warnock Rivers

HB: McKenzie Frawley Joel Mac

C: Davey Maloney Trengove

HF: Bennell Bate Sylvia

F: Green Newton Petterd

Foll: Jamar Junior MacD Scully

Inter: Garland Bail Grimes Dunn

Who is going to go for Watts, Jurrah, Wonna, Morton? At this stage, with all those available as described in the Oz article. I'd go for:

B: Bruce Warnock Rivers

HB: Morton Frawley Joel Mac

C: Davey Maloney Trengove

HF: Wonna Watts Sylvia

F: Jurrah Green Petterd

Foll: Jamar Junior MacD Scully

Inter: Garland Bail Grimes Dunn

In: Wonna, Watts, Jurrah, Morton

Out: Newton Bennell Bate MacKenzie

Terrific forward set up, so many avenues to goal. Very talented on-ball brigade, especially if the Russian keeps up his form.

One issue in this side is the second ruckman. With Newton not there (he did a reasonable job at the weekend standing in for the Russian), i guess it falls on big Jack. This is a potential weakness if we get double teamed by for instance Geelong or the Saints. (In the longer term i'd like to see Gawn in there as his skills develop and his body matures). Another possibility is Bate for Dunn but agin depends on form. On last saturday's form you would have to go for Dunn IMO.

I still think though this is our strongest team, but Bennell, Bate and MacKenzie are extremely unlucky to miss out, as well as up and comers Bleeze, Tapscott, Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Gysberts, Jetta, Cheney, and of course Johnson. Not doubt it will come down to form, and the competition for places will be intense, but what a great problem to have. Also we are never without injuries so these players will get their chances.

It will be a terrific team when up and running. Certainly worthy of a finals birth either this year or next.

As I keep saying, premiers in 2014!!!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are people calling for strauss to be dropped? I thought he showed signs of improvement against the pies, plus he's all ready a year behind in his development (like so many of our players). He's played two weeks of senior footy, no including the pre-season - surely he doesn't need a rest yet?

I do not think they will drop Strauss as he is young, and did not play to badly. I know he played the last 1/2 with a corked leg, that hampered his running.

Is Jake Spencer available, as I think Jamar needs help in the ruck?

why are people calling for strauss to be dropped? I thought he showed signs of improvement against the pies, plus he's all ready a year behind in his development (like so many of our players). He's played two weeks of senior footy, no including the pre-season - surely he doesn't need a rest yet?

I don't think it is a matter of being dropped as such. It is a question of which 22 is most likely to win us games on any particular day. IMO I do not think Strauss is yet in the class of either Garland or Rivers - both experienced players and better able to match it with more high performing teams. If I had a criticism of Strauss it is that I do not think he yet has the physical strength to play a pivotal role in defence. I also think he tends to be a bit loose in defence. I think he is very skilled, but not yet mature enough to be in our best 22 who this year are after winning games - every week.

During the year, no doubt we will have to rest Scully and Trengove who I have noticed already are sometimes out muscled by opposition. This does not apply so much to Bail or MacKenzie who are that much older and have bigger bodies. Indeed, MacKenzie's tackle count for the first two games has been outstanding, which alone might make a case out for his longer term retention in the side.

how many games have we won since bailey has been in charge? bugger all...we came close to winning on the weekend...based on the fact we should keep the same team...yes we had underperforming players...but give them another week....come on guys...how many chances has miller had? make other players fight there way in....

I totally disagree. Strauss is going to get better and better, particularly after a game like today's. I don't think any kid should be dropped (outside of possibly Bennell) because they've got to grow together.

How do ya like me NOW?!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.