Dean Bailey to promise a better showing.

Supreme_Demon

The fish rots from the head. Cut the head stop the rot.

He may do enormous damage to the mentallity of the playing group, the supporters and the club.

I said it before and I'll say it again, We need Todd Viney.

Bailey is in trouble.

Let us assume we were mugged round 1 by a more aggressive team, and for whatever reason we didn't come prepared to play (doesn't make sense how an AFL footballer isn't prepared to play, but that's another story). Let us also presume that everything Dean Bailey has done up until this point has been to advantage us in the future, re high drafting.

So we shall look at it this way- Round 1 is the reminder to the players just what this AFL capper is all about. Round 1 hopefully drills the message home to the players that if your not here to play, you get smashed. Tactical team tampering or 'tanking' is a thing of the past, so that can't be looked to anymore..

If we don't improve onfield, and by improve I mean more determination, effort, and less basic skill errors, then yes, indeed Bailey is in trouble. If we do improve onfield and still cant crack a win then the players need to be looked at. Although Bailey is untried as a head coach, it has been reported on multiple occasions he is a very smart man. I still have faith in him, what he has done for our list over the last few years to the detriment of his own reputation derserves him that faith alone, however by about round 10, or halfway through the season we will have a definate answer regarding Bailey being right or not.

Really does highlight how weird the decision to extend his contract prematurely was- given that he hasn't actually proved he has the coaching nous to come up with much game day.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Lost Highway except for keeping Spencer in the side.

He was a liability aginst the Hawks and is just way out of his depth. He's a Casey seconds player at best!

Just bring in another mid sized player who can actually run and has some semblance of co-ordination and motor skills.

A few suggestions for player placements now:

1. Green to FF

2. Bennell to the wing

3. Trengrove and Scully in the middle; they can RUN.

4. Davey to HFF

Lets hope Sylvia comes back. I'd try him, plus Maric, Cheney and Jetta if fit, in place of the four I mentioned earlier for the guillotine.

But, really, it's up to Bailey to make his promise seem less than hollow, and the players to bust their guts.

Definately don't want to hijack this thread with more forward discussions, but i'll just throw this one in quickly; Bate FF? I definately feel we need him in our team- putting round 1 down to rustyness.. Bate has the strength, and I feel his lack of agility (the guy has a turning circle of a stretch hummer) may actually better suit him in a lead from the square position. IMO Bate runs hard and deceptively quick when he gets going- may suit deep in the square- thoughts?

Bailey is a smart man, who does want to succeed at the Highest level, but it is right now that he must show The MFC and the supporters that he is able to coach on match day. He must demand every player gives 100% for 4 quarters-as he must do himself.

This is a very important game for his future, not necessarily for a win but we as a club must start gaining Respect.

He has got to out coach Malthouse on saturday..i for one am really hoping he does it.

Bailey is a smart man, who does want to succeed at the Highest level, but it is right now that he must show The MFC and the supporters that he is able to coach on match day. He must demand every player gives 100% for 4 quarters-as he must do himself.

This is a very important game for his future, not necessarily for a win but we as a club must start gaining Respect.

He has got to out coach Malthouse on saturday..i for one am really hoping he does it.

For his future.... Aren't his next 2 years pretty ecure?

What are you talking about you FOOL, what 100 point thrashing? 9 goals is a long way from 100 points. You should write for the Herald Sun with that amazing gift for inaccuracy.

So should you, you probably should re-read that and realise that he said 'Oh, ok, so it WON'T be a 100 point thrashing'

So if Bailey is out by round three should we throw the players out with him? Maybe we can spit on on them as we toss them out!

Why is it any more important for Bailey than the players? The players are just as accountable as the coach

The players are meant to be led by the coach who provides clear directions and sets the expectations of the team. He should also

be actively engaged in building spirit and commitment within the group.....we are sadly short on these two key ingredients.

Bailey is a "suit" who is a big liability to a club which needs someone with passion and proven abilities in the football world. He has shown very little skill as a coach over the last couple of seasons. This is affecting team morale.....don't be surprised if we lose a few players to GC at the end of the year.

If he gets a second belting like last saturday it will be hard for him to pull it back-by that i mean the 23-27 year olds mostly.

It means they have lost the passion. I don't care so much about a win, but i want to see 22 Demons giving the Filth Hell

Its about time the players took some of the blame for how we play. A coach can tell & show players how to play - but they are ones who cross that line with the MFC jumper on. They are the ones who have to chase, tackle, show some application, some heart & some bloody brains!

Senior players (read Miller, Dunn, Bruce) are the ones who have to pull their heads out of the coights & show something FFS!! At least some drive & G&T would be a start.

It starts this Saturday boys.

If there's tagging that needs to be done (Swan, perhaps Didak, but no more than 2), then it's the senior guys who should do it. Grimes on Hodge while playing Bruce loose in defence was wrong wrong wrong. The seniors aren't going to win us any games, the best we can hope is that they can contribute enough by doing specific jobs & plugging gaps etc to keep us in touch. The guys who need to be played in the right positions to win it for us are Grimes, Sylvia, Davey, Scully, Trengove.

Along the same lines, Miller should probably stick to either O'Brien or Maxwell because Pies get great drive from these.

I seriously can't believe what I am about to suggest.

In: Newton & Syliva

I too suggested this. What I then did was have a long lie down and it was when I hopped up that I realised what I had said. i promptly corrected my mistake. Newton, my man, is not the answer. If he is, we're screwed.

Maybe, maybe not. Contracts can be paid out/negotiated. And we don't know the details of the extension (KPI, performance etc).

I think there will be a club review mid year (there certainly should be :() which will decide his fate, amongst other things.

As I said in another thread, I reckon he is a gonner. Connolly to take over as interim (or if Connolly is shown the door as well, I'd back Wellham. :)). Oh, and Mahoney has to go!

But, then, what do I know. :wub:

If there's tagging that needs to be done (Swan, perhaps Didak, but no more than 2), then it's the senior guys who should do it. Grimes on Hodge while playing Bruce loose in defence was wrong wrong wrong. The seniors aren't going to win us any games, the best we can hope is that they can contribute enough by doing specific jobs & plugging gaps etc to keep us in touch. The guys who need to be played in the right positions to win it for us are Grimes, Sylvia, Davey, Scully, Trengove.

Along the same lines, Miller should probably stick to either O'Brien or Maxwell because Pies get great drive from these.

Bruce was not playing loose in defence early in the game (even though it looked like it!), he was actually on Osbourne - but was no where bloody near him at all! Dont mind guys like Grimes playing on the big names - the young boys have to learn sometime.

Agree with who needs to play in the right pos's for us; Grimes (middle), Sylvia (half forward/forward), Davey (half forward), Scully (middle/wing) & Trengove (middle/wing).

Maybe, maybe not. Contracts can be paid out/negotiated. And we don't know the details of the extension (KPI, performance etc).

I think there will be a club review mid year (there certainly should be :() which will decide his fate, amongst other things.

As I said in another thread, I reckon he is a gonner. Connolly to take over as interim (or if Connolly is shown the door as well, I'd back Wellham. :)). Oh, and Mahoney has to go!

But, then, what do I know. :wub:

Why on earth would Chris Connolly go - he is the football manager. There is not a person who does more at the Club than he does. And for fear of being shot down here, I have been reading some of the absolute rubbish threads here about the players responsibilities and accountability and I think some of you should look at the photo of the team coming off the ground after the match. There was one player with his head held high and that was Jamar who incidentally won the ruck on statistics. The others all looked how we supporters felt. They new it was crap and they do not need us to rant and rave and send in messages to the Club to bellyache. If you heard Jack Grimes being interviewed after the game you would know that they knew it all wasn't good enough. Expect "improvement" this Saturday but keep it in perspective. We have a team of average "seniors" and a lot of classy young boys who are playing out of their developmental depth at the moment. We are playing a team who just may win the big one - heaven help us all!!