Geelongs 3rd party deal with ablett

red&blue&true

Collingwood would almost be at a disadvantage in this area due to its stereotypically working class supporter base.

Come off it KS. Surely you haven't fallen for that Collingwood hype. They haven't been a working class club for decades.

They are chockers with lawyers and doctors and investors. All that working class crap is illusion - just like our snow bunny rep.

Come off it KS. Surely you haven't fallen for that Collingwood hype. They haven't been a working class club for decades.

They are chockers with lawyers and doctors and investors. All that working class crap is illusion - just like our snow bunny rep.

I know, you're right.

The difference between them and us is that they have more of both.

I know, you're right.

The difference between them and us is that they have more of both.

Unfortunately they have more of everything when compared to us. Oh except potential.

Free agency and third-party payments form the mechanism that the AFL will use (indirectly) to shunt two clubs from the league when they inevitably go back to 16.

Free agency and third-party payments form the mechanism that the AFL will use (indirectly) to shunt two clubs from the league when they inevitably go back to 16.

Spot on. That's why we must take this team into the finals. I hate to say it but I reckon the AFL have us and North in their sights. The Doggies will make too much noise and Smorgon's a great operator. Richmond's latest plan is totally laughable. The club won't go near the finals over the next 5 years, nor reach 45,000 full members. The only thing keeping them alive is a massive sleeping supporter base. This base is crumbling year on year but has a lot of strength still.

Guys at my footy club used to have boot sponsors...what's the big deal?

Exactly most third party deals mean nothing the sky isn't falling because Geelong may offer Ablett a great side deal... These things happen all the time and there will be plenty of deals outside of the cap

Exactly most third party deals mean nothing the sky isn't falling because Geelong may offer Ablett a great side deal... These things happen all the time and there will be plenty of deals outside of the cap

I think these 3rd Tier Payments are a little larger than a standard Boot Deal. Very Effective way to Reduce the League back to 12 Teams IMO 22 rounds play each other twice)

I have heard rumblings that the next TV deal will be nowhere near the $ Billion figure that was touted last year.

The cash is just not there in free to air television-shall be very interesting to see what the figure is

Has he?

I know nothing about it.

It was a question, that's all. I thought the NAB, because don't they submit $ (something) for him being pick no. 1 having naming rights to the National Draft ? (If that were the case I'd imagine the past winners would have received the same). I'm unsure. Just thought each year's winner received something like $10K portfolio for going pick 1, etc, etc. and that would be deemed a third party payment; outside the salary cap.

I think these 3rd Tier Payments are a little larger than a standard Boot Deal. Very Effective way to Reduce the League back to 12 Teams IMO 22 rounds play each other twice)

I have heard rumblings that the next TV deal will be nowhere near the $ Billion figure that was touted last year.

The cash is just not there in free to air television-shall be very interesting to see what the figure is

Most of these third player payments are boot deals... Ablett and maybe Judd are the two exceptions, but the AFL are going to use it to make 12 teams.... come on... If the TV deal isn't as big the salary cap maybe scaled back.. The cash is in the amount of games shown 8 or 9 a week with each network paying for 3 or 4 etc etc why would the AFL reduce the number of games played....

The issue is that third party payments are common in the AFL and have been for years... A club president made a mistake by commenting public about it and now everyone thinks the competition landscape is going change...

114 players have deals for an extra 2 mil... with what the clubs total wages being around 170mil, the 2 mil is peanuts.... I was pointing out that one our players (probably a couple) have a few deals but in the big scheme of things it means nothing.

Most of these third player payments are boot deals... Ablett and maybe Judd are the two exceptions, but the AFL are going to use it to make 12 teams.... come on... If the TV deal isn't as big the salary cap maybe scaled back.. The cash is in the amount of games shown 8 or 9 a week with each network paying for 3 or 4 etc etc why would the AFL reduce the number of games played....

The issue is that third party payments are common in the AFL and have been for years... A club president made a mistake by commenting public about it and now everyone thinks the competition landscape is going change...

114 players have deals for an extra 2 mil... with what the clubs total wages being around 170mil, the 2 mil is peanuts.... I was pointing out that one our players (probably a couple) have a few deals but in the big scheme of things it means nothing.

114 players make an extra 2 million now yes, but how many players will make 8-10 Million in 5-10 years time? This scenario is not going to go away-it will get bigger, if it doesn't i will be absolutely Gobbsmacked staggered.

The Push for Free Agency is being run by the Players Union.

Most of the third player payments may represent Boot deals today but as GC 17 & GWS get closer to being real, i doubt they will stay that way.

These clubs have $$ to spend & they will spend it. Player Managers are going to be sniffing out every $ they can within 2 years.

It all Depends on how Hard the AFL wish to police it all.........

114 players make an extra 2 million now yes, but how many players will make 8-10 Million in 5-10 years time? This scenario is not going to go away-it will get bigger, if it doesn't i will be absolutely Gobbsmacked staggered.

The Push for Free Agency is being run by the Players Union.

Most of the third player payments may represent Boot deals today but as GC 17 & GWS get closer to being real, i doubt they will stay that way.

These clubs have $$ to spend & they will spend it. Player Managers are going to be sniffing out every $ they can within 2 years.

It all Depends on how Hard the AFL wish to police it all.........

Totally agree and I think the AFL will police it and you won't see many huge deals...

Edited by Wolfmother

These endorsement contracts have been around since God was a boy. Media deals are included in this basket of '3rd party deals' too. They're not ultra-secretive, brown paper bag, sneaky deals that are tearing the competition apart, they are already examined and cleared by Ken Wood who is the meanest bastard going around.

They are normal business dealings with high profile sportsmen that, outside of 1 or 2 examples from a pool of over 730 players, will in no way impact upon the normal business of list management now or in the future.

Honestly, there is nothing to see here folks, move along.

They're not ultra-secretive, brown paper bag, sneaky deals that are tearing the competition apart, they are already examined and cleared by Ken Wood who is the meanest bastard going around.

Demetriou said something similar. In fact, they've been putting fires out all week whenever someone or something (media journo's) says something or report on 3rd party payments. AA & AD have been very careful with their words, so too Costa & Cook after Costa's slip up when interviewed.

They would want to be very closely monitored/examined - with a fine tooth comb I'd imagine. From Mr.Wood the meanest man in the west. :lol:

You can't help be sceptical now that it's common knowledge among the greater football industry; the fans.

Is "nothing to see here" a reflection of trying to sweep it under the carpet ?

If it's part of the 114 deals at $2mil - which is a massively insignificant $17500 per head I might add, which isn't impacting on players' decision making by and large - then Ken Wood has ticked it off. That's his purpose.

If it's occuring outside of those figures, then it is illegal and we've already seen what happened to Carlton if clubs want to roll the dice on that front.

If it's part of the 114 deals at $2mil - which is a massively insignificant $17500 per head I might add, which isn't impacting on players' decision making by and large - then Ken Wood has ticked it off. That's his purpose.

If it's occuring outside of those figures, then it is illegal and we've already seen what happened to Carlton if clubs want to roll the dice on that front.

The scheme was initially introduced to accommodate players' sponsorship deals, newspaper & media work, and sundry payments. It didn't really amount to much. Of the 114 players, roughly 100 were on several thousand each.

Along comes Judd. He is now on at least 200k per year (I've heard $1 million over three years) courtesy of a business run by then president Dick Pratt, who, according to the assorted shills, had no input into Judd working as a green ambassador for Visi.

Ablett will get roughly the same. That's if he's not already on it at Frank Costa's business courtesy of a deal struck, once again, without any input from a club president.

Lets say Judd & Ablett are on a combined 300K. That winds the average down for everyone else.

The extra payments scheme was not intended to allow clubs to inflate their salary cap.

The scheme was initially introduced to accommodate players' sponsorship deals, newspaper & media work, and sundry payments. It didn't really amount to much. Of the 114 players, roughly 100 were on several thousand each.

Along comes Judd. He is now on at least 200k per year (I've heard $1 million over three years) courtesy of a business run by then president Dick Pratt, who, according to the assorted shills, had no input into Judd working as a green ambassador for Visi.

Ablett will get roughly the same. That's if he's not already on it at Frank Costa's business courtesy of a deal struck, once again, without any input from a club president.

Lets say Judd & Ablett are on a combined 300K. That winds the average down for everyone else.

The extra payments scheme was not intended to allow clubs to inflate their salary cap.

Whilst I totally agree with you let's look at it from Geelong's point of view. They have invested a lot of time, money and effort into Ablett. He also helps bring crowds, sponsors and the resulting money to the club. Then the AFL give GC and WS over the odds salary caps so they can poach such players in the hope of getting these clubs into the finals as soon as possible. The situation is the AFL's doing so it's unlikely they are going to turn around and turn off the tap, The club's would be crying fowl for years. The situation is messy and it could well get messier still.

Whilst I totally agree with you let's look at it from Geelong's point of view. They have invested a lot of time, money and effort into Ablett. He also helps bring crowds, sponsors and the resulting money to the club. Then the AFL give GC and WS over the odds salary caps so they can poach such players in the hope of getting these clubs into the finals as soon as possible. The situation is the AFL's doing so it's unlikely they are going to turn around and turn off the tap, The club's would be crying fowl for years. The situation is messy and it could well get messier still.

Nail on the Head there Roost it, The AFL have started all this knowing full well what would/will happen, & they are also their own self appointed judging panel.

And yes they do want their instant (just add Cash) new clubs in the finals as soon as possible, for that too happen something has to give.

i don't own a crystal ball but i have a feeling the AFL Clubs are going to go to war in the next 12-24 months if this situation is left as it is.

Still waiting to hear what Vlad has to say, or is he on vacation leaving Anderson in charge??

Still waiting to hear what Vlad has to say, or is he on vacation leaving Anderson in charge??

Vlad's bullish. He predicts positive outcomes for the playing group, the AFL stakeholders and the broadcast partners.