Leadership group for 2010

jayceebee31

I was a little surprised that one of the younger brigade wasn't included

I'll put money on Jack Grimes being in the leadership group next year.

The problem at the moment is that our younger brigade really is just so young and inexperienced, so it's little surprise that virtually everyone over the age of 25 has been included in our leadership group for 2010. I'm not saying these guys are not worthy, but their age and games experience is the one common link between them.

2011's leadership group will be very interesting indeed, and as I've said Grimes will certainly be in there.

Maybe the players chose the 7 players who would be our best leaders now.

The time for Grimes and Co will come.

As I understand it the players did indeed vote for this leadership group, but I have no doubt that a few younger players were very much in the mix.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that they are our top seventh most capped players. Almost suggests it is a bit arbitrary, like we are picking them based on time on the park instead of leadership ability. Sure experience is important in leadership, but still find it a bit odd. Does this mean that when junior retires the next just steps in (Sylvia at the moment)? I've always felt NQR commenting on leadership stuff because its very hard to observe from outside the club, but it seems almost too convenient that the seven guys with the most games fit the mould, what about a younger guy like bate or jones - these guys look like on-field leaders to me more than rivers, for example, although i know a bunch of people are gonna jump down my throat now about rivers courage running back with the ball etc.

Just a thought.

Edited by Ingo

Maybe its an indication that the older players that have been kept by the club, rather than being moved on, have been retained because of their leadership skills to assist in the development of the young squad.

It would explain why someone like Robertson or Wheatley was not kept for the 2010 season.

Neither of these 2 have ever been touted as great leaders of men.

Whelan has been good with the indigenous boys, but i don't think he took to a leadership role within the group as a whole.

(Obviously age, injuries and form play a role in these decisions also.)

This maybe a whole new topic but.... what makes a leader?

The appointment of jnr as 2010 captian I believe is great. That may seem incredulous to those who know I have him outside my 2010 starting 18 but let me explain. Junior is a courageous, talented, dedicated professional who has displayed great leadership qualities and a unsurpassed love of the club and has great member support. He is universally loved by all because he is genuine and is rightfully respected by the football community. He will play most games in 2010 because he is captain, genuine and a great clubman, but he is not in the best 18! Aaron Davey into the leadership group is long overdue. He has already showed leadership qualities and is overdue to be elected to the leaderhip group. If he is not 2011 captain either he will have either stuffed up during the year or we've got it wrong.

Cam Bruce & Brad Green are MFC greats but captaincy has pased them by. Brad Miller - no! Brett Moloney deserves VC in 2011 and Jack Grimes needs another full successful season before he is added to the leadership group.

So what do we want from our next Premiership captain?

Can it be quantified?

What is the criteria and at what %

lets think of some;

Ability

Courage

Leadership

Longevity

Respect

Skill

Personability

Marketability

The chances are, the next captain after junior will be a Premiership captain if we get this right!

Give me your criteria?!??!!

Could be a reasonable assumption, that the football department added more mature players to the leadership group is, because several of them are not guarenteed a GAME- McDonald, Bruce & Miller are questionable as being the best players in the top 22. This may also be the reason they increased to 7.Still I believe we should have included a younger person to develop. We were very interested in gaining Ball- due to his leadership qualities and hecaptained St Kilda at 22-so to develop one of ours in the leadership for 2010 maybe a missed opportunity.

Edited by jayceebee31

I know I get carried away, but don't anyone dare underestimate the leadership potential of the Warlpiri Wizard. Liam is a natural leader, who captained the senior Yuendumu Football club at 19yrs. I've seen him revving up his team in the huddle on numerous occasions and he is incredibly inspirational. Give him a year or two, and then he should be considered for the leadership group.

I know I get carried away, but don't anyone dare underestimate the leadership potential of the Warlpiri Wizard. Liam is a natural leader, who captained the senior Yuendumu Football club at 19yrs. I've seen him revving up his team in the huddle on numerous occasions and he is incredibly inspirational. Give him a year or two, and then he should be considered for the leadership group.

Thanks Rudeboy for your imput .I did not know he had these qualities. I spoke to Liam when he first arrived and he came across as extremely introverted. Would not have thought he was a born leader. However, as time has gone on and he has got the feel, he seems to really ooze confidence in his own ability and will lead by example.

Thanks Rudeboy for your imput .I did not know he had these qualities. I spoke to Liam when he first arrived and he came across as extremely introverted. Would not have thought he was a born leader. However, as time has gone on and he has got the feel, he seems to really ooze confidence in his own ability and will lead by example.

Being quiet and reserved amongst strangers should not be confused with being introverted. I made the same mistake when I first met Liam, thinking he was extremely shy. FWIW, a couple of the assistant coaches have told me that Liam is probably the most extroverted player on the Demon's list when he's amongst the players.

Being quiet and reserved amongst strangers should not be confused with being introverted. I made the same mistake when I first met Liam, thinking he was extremely shy. FWIW, a couple of the assistant coaches have told me that Liam is probably the most extroverted player on the Demon's list when he's amongst the players.

Therefore very confident in his own circle which is what one wants in a team enviroment.

Edited by jayceebee31

Maybe its an indication that the older players that have been kept by the club, rather than being moved on, have been retained because of their leadership skills to assist in the development of the young squad.

It would explain why someone like Robertson or Wheatley was not kept for the 2010 season.

Neither of these 2 have ever been touted as great leaders of men.

Whelan has been good with the indigenous boys, but i don't think he took to a leadership role within the group as a whole.

(Obviously age, injuries and form play a role in these decisions also.)

After a stellar career coming from the rookie list, Robertson was finished in AFL football. Its telling no other club threw him a lifeline.

Whelan and Wheatley's bodies gave out and could no longer cope with AFL. It had little to do with leadership.

Fair assessment and thanks Rude Boy.

I can see no reason at this stage why in a few years time Jurrah could not aspire to Club leadership roles. His seems an inspiring individual to say the least.

Could be a reasonable assumption, that the football department added more mature players to the leadership group is, because several of them are not guarenteed a GAME- McDonald, Bruce & Miller are questionable as being the best players in the top 22.

If he maintains the form and fitness of last year then Bruce will play 22 games of AFL this year. Junior should go close to that number to. At this point they are shoo in best 22. Miller is a week by week proposition

Guest hellter skelter
Sounds like they just chose the 7 oldest players on the list, nothing amazing about next years group.
i wouldv had Morton in the group, hes played nearly ever game since he debuted, the boys they chose have been getting flogged for the last 4yrs, time for a change, i would have jones in there as well, you cant dispute his courage, the boys club still exists.

i wouldv had Morton in the group, hes played nearly ever game since he debuted, the boys they chose have been getting flogged for the last 4yrs, time for a change, i would have jones in there as well, you cant dispute his courage, the boys club still exists.

Good points- both will get there chances in a year or two- both still very young.Morton is still only 19, whilst Jones is 21. Plenty of time for these two.