OUR NEEDS RE DRAFT

jayceebee31

Whilst we all have our thoughts on whom we want in the draft- I think we have been extremely lucky to match up our wants & needs to whom is available.In summary to all the previous posts-

I think we need a rover type- Scully, Ruck rover type- (someone whom can develop into a Ling type-Trengove, or maybe Joel McDonald, a versatile tall- Talia,Black orCarlisle type.a mid/tall forward -(LATE PICK-SAY 50-Temel,Patrick or Thorp. Lastly a ruckman-Gawn

This could be acheived by picking 1 or 2 -Scully,1or2-Trengove.11-Talia,Black orCarlisle type,18-Ball or best available.34-Gawn,50- Temel,Patrick or Thorp.

PSD-Joel McDonald

This above may leave out Ball- whom,I believe the club is more interested for his leadership than playing contribution. When McLean left- I was happy- for reasons such as his injuries- he had slowed right down.I think Ball is as slow.Pick 18- may even pick up a fast moving player such as Lewis Jetta .

Also, I think we have leadership to develop within- Davey, Green,Moloney,Sylvia and Bruce of our older players.Grimes & Frawley are definately suitable types to eventually captain our team.This also does not stop the club developing born leaders like Scully & Trengove as soon as they reach our club. It is my opinion that if we do gain Ball- it may actually be a bad thing for us- it may put noses out of joint and not install a positive workplace scenario.

Barry and the team basically have concluded their's and basically will rubber stamp them once Scwabby & Bails return Wednesday. They have a meeting to fully finalise.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree ? if not why?

Edited by jayceebee31

Guest hangon007

2009 Draft

1st tier - picks 1-5ish Top Quality potential mids

2nd tier - picks 6-25ish - very mixed bag ... possibly team may elevate on needs in this area ... therefore possible "sliders" available depends on the day.

3rd tier - picks 25-45ish - average ... this is where AFL recruiters will earn their money in 2009

4th tier - picks 45+ ... raffle ... could be fun!

IMHO ... too many people are elevating "talls" that should sit in the 25-45 bracket because they feel we need 1 ... big mistake IMHO

IMHO ... I'm very happy with 2 "quality potential mids", 1-2 x "sliders", 1 x "mixed bag - average" , 1 x "raffle ticket" with Luke Ball in the mix if the "sliders" dont go our way.

This is what I posted on Nov 2 in Draft Night ... now I can add some notes and revised a few

1. Scully - (lock in)

2. Trengove - (lock in)

11a/ Butcher or - (I nearly convinced now hes going to Sydney or Port ... 0.1% chance he is a slider)

11b/ Rohan, Melksham (please let 1 slid) or "surprise slider ie Lucas or Jetta" or Ball

18. Black, Talia, Moore, Tapscott, Ball

34. Vardy, Taylor, Panos, Carlisle, Bastinac, Bartlett or "un-expected tall" - (cross my fingers 1 is available at 34 - if not thats life)

50. Buy my tatts ticket ... but I have a idea who we have in mind

Go Dees!!

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

My draft postmortem .... well what a night .... think I've been waiting for this day for 30 years.

Was watching the TV coverage on Fox that started with this 10 backwards BS .. IMHO 3/10 for foxtel.

Overall I was rapt with our result

My Hits ...

Pick 1 Scully - loved the post draft interviews on 10-1 interviews ... "ready made" media performer 10-1 video link

Pick 2 Trengove - loved the joint press conference with our new dynamic duo - wonder who is going to be Batman & who will be Robin. - "Batman & Robin" Press Conference - link here.

Must confess also how I've been impressed with all our positive press so far and how well the boys have spoken ... compared to some of the other boys.

Pick 11 - Jordan Gysberts ... I train 3 mornings a week with the Eastern Rangers Tac cup runner and he rates this bloke very highly "quiet achiever who just gets the job done" ... I hope my fellow Melbourne supporters give this kid a chance.

MY misses - I was wrong then I was right about Butcher .. IMHO Sydney have missed an opportunity here ... but thats there problem not mine. This was the pick I hoped we where going to try and trade for ... but I appreciate it would have been near impossible to get out of Sydney hands ... such is life. Pick 5 - Sydney what would it take to get this

Rohan & Melksham ... such is life.

Kane Lucas ... great pick up by the Blues, good luck to them.

Jetta ... will watch his career with interest all the best in Sydney

Pick 18 Luke Tapscott - I couldn't believe our luck. Go you good thing. Perfectly suited to the MCG ... hope he plays 200+ games for us.

Black - Late bolter - North have done well ... good luck to the kid hope he continues his improvement.

Talia - Adelaide would be very, very happy ... top pick from a top quality team of recruiters.

Moore - such is life ... hope you come home soon and team up with Jordy again.

Ball - well done you got where you wanted to go. ;) I just hoped Essendon would have "coughed up 10" ... but that poker.

Pick 34 - Max Gawn - Late mail & Burgan where right ... sorry I aint seen enough to over comment. Patience might be a virtue here. In BP I trust 110%.

Vardy - Obvious "Ottens replacement" ... all the best.

Panos - over-rated or under-rated I dont care ... was my surprise of the draft. Might need another year but I would have thought worth a punt on his champion ships form.

Carlisle - mildly surprised he has gone to the "warehouse" or the land of the giants ... hope his career does not mirror Gumbletons.

Taylor - must have been close at 50 ... but I look forward to watching his career, deep down I will never hear the end of it if he turn out to be a star ... hope he likes a punt on the horses.

Bastinac ... Another good pick-up by north ...

Bartlett ... Vossy does it again ... cheap at 27

Pick 50 - Jake Fitzpatrick ... well done CC .... Do you mean the "Western Jets kid" ... "should be picked up somewhere late in the draft"

Must say I've enjoyed the banter around here and genuinely hope Ive not upset anyone too much. Sorry I'm not as articulate as others but hope my passion shines thru.

If I've offended anybody I hereby apologise and hope you dont hold it against me if we ever meet face to face.

Go Dees.

My draft postmortem .... well what a night .... think I've been waiting for this day for 30 years.

Was watching the TV coverage on Fox that started with this 10 backwards BS .. IMHO 3/10 for foxtel.

Overall I was rapt with our result

My Hits ...

Pick 1 Scully - loved the post draft interviews on 10-1 interviews ... "ready made" media performer 10-1 video link

Pick 2 Trengove - loved the joint press conference with our new dynamic duo - wonder who is going to be Batman & who will be Robin. - "Batman & Robin" Press Conference - link here.

Must confess also how I've been impressed with all our positive press so far and how well the boys have spoken ... compared to some of the other boys.

Pick 11 - Jordan Gysberts ... I train 3 mornings a week with the Eastern Rangers Tac cup runner and he rates this bloke very highly "quiet achiever who just gets the job done" ... I hope my fellow Melbourne supporters give this kid a chance.

MY misses - I was wrong then I was right about Butcher .. IMHO Sydney have missed an opportunity here ... but thats there problem not mine. This was the pick I hoped we where going to try and trade for ... but I appreciate it would have been near impossible to get out of Sydney hands ... such is life. Pick 5 - Sydney what would it take to get this

Rohan & Melksham ... such is life.

Kane Lucas ... great pick up by the Blues, good luck to them.

Jetta ... will watch his career with interest all the best in Sydney

Pick 18 Luke Tapscott - I couldn't believe our luck. Go you good thing. Perfectly suited to the MCG ... hope he plays 200+ games for us.

Black - Late bolter - North have done well ... good luck to the kid hope he continues his improvement.

Talia - Adelaide would be very, very happy ... top pick from a top quality team of recruiters.

Moore - such is life ... hope you come home soon and team up with Jordy again.

Ball - well done you got where you wanted to go. ;) I just hoped Essendon would have "coughed up 10" ... but that poker.

Pick 34 - Max Gawn - Late mail & Burgan where right ... sorry I aint seen enough to over comment. Patience might be a virtue here. In BP I trust 110%.

Vardy - Obvious "Ottens replacement" ... all the best.

Panos - over-rated or under-rated I dont care ... was my surprise of the draft. Might need another year but I would have thought worth a punt on his champion ships form.

Carlisle - mildly surprised he has gone to the "warehouse" or the land of the giants ... hope his career does not mirror Gumbletons.

Taylor - must have been close at 50 ... but I look forward to watching his career, deep down I will never hear the end of it if he turn out to be a star ... hope he likes a punt on the horses.

Bastinac ... Another good pick-up by north ...

Bartlett ... Vossy does it again ... cheap at 27

Pick 50 - Jake Fitzpatrick ... well done CC .... Do you mean the "Western Jets kid" ... "should be picked up somewhere late in the draft"

Must say I've enjoyed the banter around here and genuinely hope Ive not upset anyone too much. Sorry I'm not as articulate as others but hope my passion shines thru.

If I've offended anybody I hereby apologise and hope you dont hold it against me if we ever meet face to face.

Go Dees.

Dont worry mate plenty of ridiculous hysterical posts around that far out do yours lol!!

I think at the end of the day we are all on the same page!!

Lets smash em next year!

Your point re Taylor is a good one CC said it was between him and Fitzpatrick for 50 but they just couldnt believe Fitzy got through to 50 so had to take him....

Guest hangon007
Dont worry mate plenty of ridiculous hysterical posts around that far out do yours lol!!

I think at the end of the day we are all on the same page!!

Lets smash em next year!

No problems ... "next year" and many more years to come. :rolleyes:

Go Dees

2009 Draft

1st tier - picks 1-5ish Top Quality potential mids

2nd tier - picks 6-25ish - very mixed bag ... possibly team may elevate on needs in this area ... therefore possible "sliders" available depends on the day.

3rd tier - picks 25-45ish - average ... this is where AFL recruiters will earn their money in 2009

4th tier - picks 45+ ... raffle ... could be fun!

IMHO ... too many people are elevating "talls" that should sit in the 25-45 bracket because they feel we need 1 ... big mistake IMHO

IMHO ... I'm very happy with 2 "quality potential mids", 1-2 x "sliders", 1 x "mixed bag - average" , 1 x "raffle ticket" with Luke Ball in the mix if the "sliders" dont go our way.

This is what I posted on Nov 2 in Draft Night ... now I can add some notes and revised a few

1. Scully - (lock in)

2. Trengove - (lock in)

11a/ Butcher or - (I nearly convinced now hes going to Sydney or Port ... 0.1% chance he is a slider)

11b/ Rohan, Melksham (please let 1 slid) or "surprise slider ie Lucas or Jetta" or Ball

18. Black, Talia, Moore, Tapscott, Ball

34. Vardy, Taylor, Panos, Carlisle, Bastinac, Bartlett or "un-expected tall" - (cross my fingers 1 is available at 34 - if not thats life)

50. Buy my tatts ticket ... but I have a idea who we have in mind

Go Dees!!

I think between the two of us we got the whole draft right.

Rover- Scully

Ruck rover/mids - Trengove- Gryberts

Mid/ tall forward- well small forward but best player at pick 18- Tapscott

Ruckman- Gawn

Tall forward/ Ruckman - Fitzpatrick.

Acheived our thoughts totally

Whilst we all have our thoughts on whom we want in the draft- I think we have been extremely lucky to match up our wants & needs to whom is available.In summary to all the previous posts-

I think we need a rover type- Scully, Ruck rover type- (someone whom can develop into a Ling type-Trengove, or maybe Joel McDonald, a versatile tall- Talia,Black orCarlisle type.a mid/tall forward -(LATE PICK-SAY 50-Temel,Patrick or Thorp. Lastly a ruckman-Gawn

This could be acheived by picking 1 or 2 -Scully,1or2-Trengove.11-Talia,Black orCarlisle type,18-Ball or best available.34-Gawn,50- Temel,Patrick or Thorp.

PSD-Joel McDonald

This above may leave out Ball- whom,I believe the club is more interested for his leadership than playing contribution. When McLean left- I was happy- for reasons such as his injuries- he had slowed right down.I think Ball is as slow.Pick 18- may even pick up a fast moving player such as Lewis Jetta .

Also, I think we have leadership to develop within- Davey, Green,Moloney,Sylvia and Bruce of our older players.Grimes & Frawley are definately suitable types to eventually captain our team.This also does not stop the club developing born Fitleaders like Scully & Trengove as soon as they reach our club. It is my opinion that if we do gain Ball- it may actually be a bad thing for us- it may put noses out of joint and not install a positive workplace scenario.

Barry and the team basically have concluded their's and basically will rubber stamp them once Scwabby & Bails return Wednesday. They have a meeting to fully finalise.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree ? if not why?

Got what I suggested we needed

Rover-Scully

Ruck rover type-Grysberts,Trengove

Ruckman- Gawn

Tall- Fitzpatrick

Mid Tall Forward- Tapscott-(well - yes he is a small- but gee what a player. Barry & the team - WELL Done. A mid/ tall in 2010.

Just read in the Herald Sun today- that Bomber Thompson is seriously thinking about a mature aged rookie.He confirmed the Cats were considering the possibility of adding VFL captain and best and fairest winner James Podsiadly to their list as a mature-age rookie at this month's draft.This maybe the way, we may have to balance our young list in future drafts, mature experienced players. We have the money to do so. And well under the Salary cap. Your thoughts?

Edited by jayceebee31

• 2 weeks later...

In closing off this thread with regards to the finalised list this week, I analysed the lists and feel our major weakness is a tall experienced forward, in particular, since we made Newton a rookie. In looking at other lists we may or should look for someone similar to a O'hAilpin from Carlton, Reid or Dawes from Collingwood,Dowler or Lisle at Hawthorn or a Tom Lynch at St Kilda , although some of these players mentioned do not have seior Afl experience. The rest of the list seems very balanced with Backline, mids ,Rucks well & truthfully covered.

I believe that once we get closer to our 'premiership window', we could easily adopt the Sydney style of plug and play trading to fill a need.

ie. Hall, Ball, Jollie, Plugga, Bradshaw ect

Good point Bingo- a tall experienced forward,hopefully we do so next draft

Edited by jayceebee31

Why don't we wait until we are up and going before trading away picks and players for perceived needs?

A weak forward line is the formulated opinion of the team right now, with a tall forward a priority.

But that may not be the issue when we are 4th in 2012/2013 and we wish to graduate from being a 'Bulldogs' to a 'Geelong.'

No trading for a few years yet...

Steven Stretch's son. Also highly rated.

We take them with a Father-Son pick if we so desire and they agree to it (can happen that the player doesn't a la Marc Murphy who could've gone F-S to Brisbane but chose to stay in VIC by going in the ND so the Blues could choose him).

We nominate a player as a F-S pick, all other 15 teams get that chance to bid for the player by nominating which pick they would like to take him with, then if we want to "match" the highest of those picks and take the player we can.

Otherwise the other team gets to reserve him at that pick.

"Matching" another team's nominated pick for that player involves forfeiting the pick we have in our possession that comes directly after

that proposed pick. (or it may be our pick in the same round as that proposed pick - can't exactly remember)

This excludes picks that are traded for because the F-S nominations are made before trade week commences.

I also do not know much about young Stretch.Some of you S.A Demonlanders please fill us in.However, to have a Stretch & Viney would be great.