Tall option likely(possible) with 3rd pick

beelzebub

If the Carlisle's , Talia's, Butcher's, Vardy's and Blacks"s of this draft arent there come our 18

....then picking Daw at 18 is STILL a stupid idea. It's not just going outside the box, it's going outside sane thought. Pick 18? Jeebus!

If they wrote a newspaper article on me then there would be people on here trying to draft me with pick 18!!

....then picking Daw at 18 is STILL a stupid idea. It's not just going outside the box, it's going outside sane thought. Pick 18? Jeebus!

If they wrote a newspaper article on me then there would be people on here trying to draft me with pick 18!!

you do understand what a hypothetical is dont you ? they involve ideas or possibilities: existing or non exisitng ,or involving something that exists as an unproven idea, or a theory, or a possibility.

Its an exercise in thinking...its not gospel

The constraint was very simple.. ( I thought ) at pick 18 what if you were still requiring a tall and all the fancied ones had gone. Yes a might earlier that realistic but that was the idea.. to force a different approach.

obviously beyond some

I couldn't decide between Tapscott or Vardy for pick 11..

Went with Tappy when musing on another thread, thinking that Vardy would still be available at 34. (Daw- Pick 18)

Sounds like:

'Tall' -pick 11 (Vardy?)

'Best available - 18 (Tapscott? / Daw?)

'ditto' - 34 (Daw? / The other Jurrah? / Grimes??)

You are just writing nonsense!!

For the record Bob..I said this then..in response to the Daw criticism. I stated it quite early... you might call it back tracking..I call it clarifying...as obviously not every one can read !! <_<

Apparently you cant either.. He wont be there at 50..if that happens all well and good

edit to bold !

Have you seen Daw play?

Have you seen Daw play?

only highlights ..video footage etc.

have you ?

ok..i'll keep this short.. Granted the original premise wasnt too likely but it was simple..if all the favoured talls were gone.. then why not look sideways. I proposed you pick a tall.. and you supplied more none tall utility types..

My premise was bult upon the notion as suggested in the article that Harrington was apparently hinting there might be a leaning towards talls after the early picks.

So the criteria was tall..and a what if all the favoured ones were gon.

I accept you view that there would be probably more sound choices..but that wasnt the construct ..thats al :)

My point was that should all the "good talls" be gone come pick 18, then the remaining "utility types" are far too good to pass up in favour of a project player, relatively new to the game, with no defined position.

I honestly don't care if we create a team of gun utility players and then have to trade a few of our smalls to get a decent tall.

Worked perfectly for Geelong.

Would love the draft to end up with Scully and Trengrove at 1 and 2, Carlise or best available KPP at 11, Troy Taylor at 18, Liam Patrick at 34, Dylan Grimes at 50

Would love that draft!

Could even another mid at 11 seeing as last 3 are all talls, two tall forwards and a key backin grimes. Good mix i say!

About five times.

So the interest of a few clubs isnt warranted ? if it isnt....then thats an opinion...fair enough

So the interest of a few clubs isnt warranted ? if it isnt....then thats an opinion...fair enough

He showed great improvement through the course of the year which is a very good sign given he was so raw at the start of the season. It was Daw against 22 as he single handedly keep the Jets in the game in the first half against the Rangers in the final round of the H&A season. He displayed strong lead marking, accurate set shot goal kicking and a real thirst for chasing down opponents.

He is however a real 'project' type player and although the draft may be weakened by the GC concessions I still think he fits into a 'Rookie' selection category given the risk.

He showed great improvement through the course of the year which is a very good sign given he was so raw at the start of the season. It was Daw against 22 as he single handedly keep the Jets in the game in the first half against the Rangers in the final round of the H&A season. He displayed strong lead marking, accurate set shot goal kicking and a real thirst for chasing down opponents.

He is however a real 'project' type player and although the draft may be weakened by the GC concessions I still think he fits into a 'Rookie' selection category given the risk.

thanks Tess.. Normally...and by that I refer to past year's formats I would also propose he would be anexcellent candidate for a rookie. The caveat is this isnt a normal year.., neither will the next couple. We may not get to choose any new rookies if Meesen and Newton's contracts are honoured in tact. The natures of Daw's prospects also doesnt necessarily come along every year.

The nature of this years( and subsequent) draft will force the hand of a number of clubs. Daws currency will rise dramatically as a result. I agree wholeheartedly that he is very mucha raw project style of player... but just cant shake the notion he could really be something. Be fantastic if that something was at Melbourne :)

Given the bank of talent already at Melbourne yet to be fully realised together with the known entities about to join i just feel we can set about this draft in a manner that suits us and disregard where certain players may have normaly gone if a normal year and more even spread of picks .

You should list that in your favourites.....

One of my favourites is when some put in someone at pick 18 or 34 and haven't seen footage of them; or live. (because there isn't any; not rated). They proceed to put them in front of another prospect later on - who is touted 'at best' rookie draft, by some draft analysts - yet have seen only approx. 4mins of You Tube highlights, of which they get most excited over. The prospect's previous U18 coach also (with fingers crossed) states, he hopes the 'prospect' gets drafted as a rookie (must be in the know as a coach), which somehow gets all lost once the highlights are viewed.

Then they use the old chestnut - " he is a smokey" as a get out clause and spruik, "OMG, he'll go 2nd round!".

Spot. On.

I know a tiny bit about probably half a dozen of the draft prospects - Trengove and Panos the two that I've seen play in the flesh - and I have seen a few others play 2-3 games on TV, Scully and Butcher among them. Me coming on here saying who I think is going to go at 11, 20, 25 or even 50(!) is completely ridiculous.