2010 AFL Ladder Predictions 2010

Bruce Almighty

Most open year I can remember.

In terms of teams making the eight I feel it is one of the more predictable years, what happens in the finals is another matter.

You can just about lock in:

- Geelong

- St Kilda

- Western Bulldogs

- Adelaide

- Collingwood

- Brisbane

- Hawthorn

Teams to fight it out for the final spot:

- Sydney

- Essendon

- Carlton

Teams that I can't see making the eight:

- West Coast

- Port Adelaide

- Melbourne

- Richmond

- Fremantle

- North Melbourne

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say the same thing every single year.

Everyone says and thinks the top 8 is set already but history says 2 teams that people don't expect make the 8 and 2 obviously drop out. For example Brisbane and Essendon this year. The year before West coast and Port drop from 2nd and 3rd to 15th and 13th, WB were the big mover going from 13th to 3rd.

Same thing will happen this year, but I wouldn't have a clue who it is going to be.

Maybe West coast to sneak in and Adelaide to miss out.

Edited by Mr Morton

Goodwin (33), McLeod (33), Edwards (33) and Burton (31) are still key members of Adelaide's best 22 and are all on the wrong side of their best. Andy Otten out for the season. Adelaide will keep the machine rolling with their system but they don't have the stars to win the flag. Guaranteed to make the 8 and at $1.33 over 6 months you'll be hard pressed to find a better return anywhere. But wont win the flag.

[Top 8:

Western Bulldogs: Last chance for a flag in this era and I think they are ready.

Hawthorn: Team back to full strength and will be hungary for success.

Geelong: With not making the GF ppl will be asking is the era over?

St Kilda: A solid top 4 finish nothing more.

Collingwood: Had key inclusions into their list since last season, but is still not a premiership team.

Adelaide: Will be a positive yet once again a slightly dissapointing season for them.

Brisbane: I doubt Fev and Brown will make this team a legitimate premership contender, but still they have a strong list.

West Coast: Will peform solidly and look to build on end of season form of last year.

Bottom 8:

Carlton: Will have a strong midfield but will lack a clear forward structure.

Essedon: Slip outside the top 8 resulting from the scaring of the 97 point thumping last year.

Sydney: The leadership of Kirk and Goodes will not be enough to make the swans finish top 8.

Kangaroos: Will need a couple of season to get used to Scott's tactics, yet will have a ruthless approach.

Melbourne: Will continue to develop and move marginally up the ladder.

Fremantle: Has to focus putting games into kids. Cant rely just on Pav's brilliance.

Port Adelaide: A club in dissaray on and off the field. williams' time is up

RIchmond: Back to the doldrums where they belong

Goodwin (33), McLeod (33), Edwards (33) and Burton (31) are still key members of Adelaide's best 22 and are all on the wrong side of their best. Andy Otten out for the season. Adelaide will keep the machine rolling with their system but they don't have the stars to win the flag. Guaranteed to make the 8 and at $1.33 over 6 months you'll be hard pressed to find a better return anywhere. But wont win the flag.

Get on betfair and back Adelaide to NOT to make the top 4. $150 to win $100.

Maybe West coast to sneak in and Adelaide to miss out.

You really despise Adelaide don't you ? :lol: Tell that to your work colleagues.

I think you could be right with West Coast. I'll add Hawthorn.

I think Carlton and Essendon will fall away.

In terms of teams making the eight I feel it is one of the more predictable years, what happens in the finals is another matter.

You can just about lock in:

- Geelong

- St Kilda

- Western Bulldogs

- Adelaide

- Collingwood

- Brisbane

- Hawthorn

Teams to fight it out for the final spot:

- Sydney

- Essendon

- Carlton

Teams that I can't see making the eight:

- West Coast

- Port Adelaide

- Melbourne

- Richmond

- Fremantle

- North Melbourne

probably not too far off the mark.. cant for the life of me understand how anyone thinks westies are going to climb so rapidly...yes some talent.. lost some too.. not the depth and range we have. Port to slide definitely, the loss of Burgoyne to really hurt. Carlton may not get to where they think...they need to replace goalkicking ability..big ask.

Freo are a basket case, Noth may steady a bit but will not be in the top 2/3.

A lot of hype re Collingwood..still they seem to pull it out of their arse .. Jolly will help releasing Fraser.. A fit Medhurst will help.. rate them top 8..not top 6. Dont think Essendon are that great personally.

Be interesting to revisit this after some NAB matches to see how some teams are faring. No ones played anyone for real yet. Lets see how some kids have come on.

This is how I see it: (teams to be somewhere within their group i.e. Geelong 3rd-5th)

The contenders:

St Kilda

Bulldogs

Close behind:

Geelong

Adelaide

Thereabouts:

Collingwood

Brisbane

Hawthorn

Fighting for 8th:

West Coast

Essendon

Carlton

Average:

Sydney

Melbourne

North

The battlers:

Freo

Port

Spoon:

Richmond

Can't believe how many actually rate Collingwood

Genuine flag threat - they've gained Jolly and Ball, they missed Pendlebury badly last final series, they have a lot of young players who will be better under their excellent coaching system and resources and they've lost virtually nothing - Rocca made no contribution last year. Prepare ye, they're well over the odds at $12 and we may well have to put up with another summer like 1991.

Genuine flag threat - they've gained Jolly and Ball, they missed Pendlebury badly last final series, they have a lot of young players who will be better under their excellent coaching system and resources and they've lost virtually nothing - Rocca made no contribution last year. Prepare ye, they're well over the odds at $12 and we may well have to put up with another summer like 1991.

What does Ball add to a team that already has Swan, O'Bree and Pendlebury? Certainly not what they need, which is pace.

Jolly will help immensely in the ruck, though.

Guest The Old Xaverian

What does Ball add to a team that already has Swan, O'Bree and Pendlebury? Certainly not what they need, which is pace.

Jolly will help immensely in the ruck, though.

Pace is overrated, just look at Essendon, who rely on it then contrast it to St. Kilda, who are (in Lyon's own words) slow by foot. The benefit of Ball is he a proven extractor & will allow Pendlebury to play his natural game (which isn't as an inside midfielder). That is scary as Pendlebury is already bordering on being an elite player of the AFL.

Jolly will just about go down as the recruit of the year.

Edited by The Old Xaverian

Swan's not slow. Ball can replace and exceed O'Bree. Pendlebury is their best player.

Ball fits with their contested style - it's like asking what does Jude Bolton add to the Swans.

I think Colingwood can win the flag and quite frankly I couldn't give a rat's if they do - I only care about us winning it in a few years time.

Edited by old55

1 Hawthorn

2 St Kilda

3 Geelong

4 Western Bulldogs

5 Adelade

6 Collingwood

7 Brisbane

8 Carlton

9 Essendon

10 Melbourne

11 Sydney

12 West Coast

13 Port Adelaide

14 Fremantle

15 North Melbourne

16 Richmond

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's my tips.

1. St Kilda - Will have another very good season, although not as good as the last IMO

2. Doggies - This year has to be it. Hopefully will pip the Saints in the GF

3. Geelong - Starting to slide, but still contenders

4. Brisbane - Two great forwards now, a better midfield, but defence is what they need

5. Collingwood - Unlucky fifth for the Pies. Jolly will be a great add

6. Adelaide - Watch them drop when Goodwin, Edwards and the rest of the 30+ players retire

7. Hawthorn - Can't see them any higher. Missing a few things though

8. Essendon - Should scrape in. Will find it hard minus Lloyd however.

9. West Coast - Will be top 8 in 2011 I reckon

10. Melbourne - Shaky pre-season so far, but I think we will be strong finishers

11. Carlton - They've lost Fev. That's 4 goals a game gone and they won't fill that gap

12. Fremantle - Rebuilding in odd ways. They'll take a while to get to the top eight

13. Sydney - Not much good about the Swans this year

14. North Melbourne - Will fight for second-last with Port

15. Port Adelaide - Haven't got much to really get anywhere up the ladder

16. Richmond - Hard to look past this. It's kinda like the West Indies losing Chris Gayle.

I can see the Dees beating teams up to the likes of the Bombers, but I think a few injuries and lazy performances against lowly teams will put us in 10th. Just my thoughts :D

I may get scoffed at with my ladder but ill explain

Geelong-reigning premiers so obvious

Western Bulldogs- IMO will win this years premiership

Stkilda- Still very potent, but will not get to the big one

Brisbane- Vast improvement due to big trades and will be a very dangerous side

Colllingwood-They have an annoying ability to win games when their side is deficiet in so many areas

Hawthorn- Will improve on a disapointing 08

Adelaide- Not sold. Solid team, but dont have enough depth IMO to be a real shaker just yet

Sydney- Will suprise alot of you. With the addition of bradshaw, a fit and firing goodes, and a mister lewis jetta, may sneak a brief finals stint

Port- Wont struggle as much as people believe, they have some outstanding young talent and have shown enough in the NAB cup, for me to suggest they will be far more competative this season, their ferocity at the ball was a standout feature of their pre-season campaign-the field they were most deficient in last year

West Coast- I hate the WCE with every fibre of my being, but unfortunately they will improve vastly on last year, good group of young players, will suprise a few good teams, and will pick up some shock wins

Carlton- Have been the most one dimensional team of the last decade. You cant unlearn that in one pre-season. Will struggle going forward this year, their midfield will keep them out of the bottom 3

Freo- I think freo are 1-2 years ahead of us in their development, and we will start to see this come to fruition this year with a bit more consistancy and probably 7 or 8 wins

North- Much like freo, but their forward stocks are a big worry, their 'never say die' attitude will see them net 2-3 more wins this year

Melbourne- As much as i would like to see the dees just outside or just inside the 8 this year, i just have to be realistic. We will see a much more competative demons side, and we will be around the 6-8 win mark, with a couple of shock wins, that will make the footy world stand up and take notice of things to come at the mfc

Essendon- will be the biggest crashers this year. You have to be realistic with essendon. Same boat as carlton, but with a developing midfield and shaky defense. Mark williams just will not be able to cover the loss of lloyd and lucas, and he along with monfries, will have to carry their forward line. Expect a big year from patty ryder though

Richmond-the worst team in the comp, and show no desire at any level of that club that they want to go places

I may get scoffed at with my ladder but ill explain

Geelong-reigning premiers so obvious

Western Bulldogs- IMO will win this years premiership

Stkilda- Still very potent, but will not get to the big one

Brisbane- Vast improvement due to big trades and will be a very dangerous side

Colllingwood-They have an annoying ability to win games when their side is deficiet in so many areas

Hawthorn- Will improve on a disapointing 08

Adelaide- Not sold. Solid team, but dont have enough depth IMO to be a real shaker just yet

Sydney- Will suprise alot of you. With the addition of bradshaw, a fit and firing goodes, and a mister lewis jetta, may sneak a brief finals stint

Port- Wont struggle as much as people believe, they have some outstanding young talent and have shown enough in the NAB cup, for me to suggest they will be far more competative this season, their ferocity at the ball was a standout feature of their pre-season campaign-the field they were most deficient in last year

West Coast- I hate the WCE with every fibre of my being, but unfortunately they will improve vastly on last year, good group of young players, will suprise a few good teams, and will pick up some shock wins

Carlton- Have been the most one dimensional team of the last decade. You cant unlearn that in one pre-season. Will struggle going forward this year, their midfield will keep them out of the bottom 3

Freo- I think freo are 1-2 years ahead of us in their development, and we will start to see this come to fruition this year with a bit more consistancy and probably 7 or 8 wins

North- Much like freo, but their forward stocks are a big worry, their 'never say die' attitude will see them net 2-3 more wins this year

Melbourne- As much as i would like to see the dees just outside or just inside the 8 this year, i just have to be realistic. We will see a much more competative demons side, and we will be around the 6-8 win mark, with a couple of shock wins, that will make the footy world stand up and take notice of things to come at the mfc

Essendon- will be the biggest crashers this year. You have to be realistic with essendon. Same boat as carlton, but with a developing midfield and shaky defense. Mark williams just will not be able to cover the loss of lloyd and lucas, and he along with monfries, will have to carry their forward line. Expect a big year from patty ryder though

Richmond-the worst team in the comp, and show no desire at any level of that club that they want to go places

As an Essendon supporter I have to take exception to bolded bits. Granted our midfield isn't great but our defense is fantastic. Pears, Hooker and the evergreen Fletcher will cover any key forwards. Not to mention Hurley, likely 2010 rising star, to cover too. Dempsey and Slattery as well as one of either McVeigh, Houli or Atkinson to cover the smalls. The run from Hooker and Pears combined with Dempsey will also mean that our back half is an attacking weapon.

Lloyd and Lucas were great players, no doubt, but come one did anyone watch them last year? As sad as it was to watch two champions of our club decline so much so young they were close to ineffectual. Lucas had no influence on any wins and Lloyd only in the first games against Carlton and Hawthorn, some may argue his hit on Sewell turned the last one too!! Our forward options this year are Winderlich, Davey, Monfries, Zaharakis, Reimers and Williams for the smalls and Hurley, Hille, Ryder, Laycock, Gumbleton, Neagle and 3 impressive young kids that probably wont get a run this year and only your draft watches would know about.

I hope the forwards line up:

HF Winderlich Gumbleton Monfries

FF Davey Hurley Williams

If you watched Essendon defeat St Kilda (and protect our streak) last year will notice that Lloyd and Lucas both didn't play and Lovett and McPhee were completely ineffectual.

As an Essendon supporter I have to take exception to bolded bits. Granted our midfield isn't great but our defense is fantastic. Pears, Hooker and the evergreen Fletcher will cover any key forwards. Not to mention Hurley, likely 2010 rising star, to cover too. Dempsey and Slattery as well as one of either McVeigh, Houli or Atkinson to cover the smalls. The run from Hooker and Pears combined with Dempsey will also mean that our back half is an attacking weapon.

Lloyd and Lucas were great players, no doubt, but come one did anyone watch them last year? As sad as it was to watch two champions of our club decline so much so young they were close to ineffectual. Lucas had no influence on any wins and Lloyd only in the first games against Carlton and Hawthorn, some may argue his hit on Sewell turned the last one too!! Our forward options this year are Winderlich, Davey, Monfries, Zaharakis, Reimers and Williams for the smalls and Hurley, Hille, Ryder, Laycock, Gumbleton, Neagle and 3 impressive young kids that probably wont get a run this year and only your draft watches would know about.

I hope the forwards line up:

HF Winderlich Gumbleton Monfries

FF Davey Hurley Williams

If you watched Essendon defeat St Kilda (and protect our streak) last year will notice that Lloyd and Lucas both didn't play and Lovett and McPhee were completely ineffectual.

Fair enough but you have to keep in mind a few things

Your prefered forward 6

Winderlich-Handy at best

Gumbleton-Has basically been injured since being drafted, so do not expect big things from him

Monfries-Has turned into a great livewire forward, and is a reliable contributer

Davey-Will be a great player like his namesake at the dees, but is a ways off yet

Hurley-Will be your best player in 2 years time along with ryder already, and will straighten you up somewhat, but will not kick 4 or 5 a game to win games for you

Williams- Will lead your goalkicking this year, and his experience will help vastly

As for your defense, fletchers a rock, has been for years, and age does not weary him, fantastic player and defender. Im not sold on pears at all. Sorry thats just my opinion. your midfield has some good young kids in it, but isnt good enough to beat most other teams midfields

So to conclude, monfries and williams will carry the forward line this year for the dons, hurley will help somewhat( i still think hes better suited at chb) and davey will provide some excitment, but expect a big fall from grace my friend. This is juat my opinion anyway, its a forum, its what its for. I hope for your sake im wrong, i dont hate essendon, but i think by seasons end ill be proven right

Fair enough but you have to keep in mind a few things

Your prefered forward 6

Winderlich-Handy at best

Gumbleton-Has basically been injured since being drafted, so do not expect big things from him

Monfries-Has turned into a great livewire forward, and is a reliable contributer

Davey-Will be a great player like his namesake at the dees, but is a ways off yet

Hurley-Will be your best player in 2 years time along with ryder already, and will straighten you up somewhat, but will not kick 4 or 5 a game to win games for you

Williams- Will lead your goalkicking this year, and his experience will help vastly

As for your defense, fletchers a rock, has been for years, and age does not weary him, fantastic player and defender. Im not sold on pears at all. Sorry thats just my opinion. your midfield has some good young kids in it, but isnt good enough to beat most other teams midfields

So to conclude, monfries and williams will carry the forward line this year for the dons, hurley will help somewhat( i still think hes better suited at chb) and davey will provide some excitment, but expect a big fall from grace my friend. This is juat my opinion anyway, its a forum, its what its for. I hope for your sake im wrong, i dont hate essendon, but i think by seasons end ill be proven right

No worries Batman of course it is your opinion but Pears last year was in the same position as Watts is this year, drafted bottom age the year before. He played very well at FB beating Brown and Fev along the way and not having a bag kicked on him at all. You have to think how happy you would be if Watts held down a bookend this year.

As we relyed on young players last year there will be a natural improvement at Essendon. On top of that Hille, McVeigh and Welsh are all fit after injuries ruined their last year. We do have a toughish draw, which I'm very happy about because that is good for development, so an improvement in us could lead to the same amount of wins through the year which wont make finals this time. Watch we are relatively injury free for the first time since 2000!