Ball for Melbourne in the PSD?

mikeod

You have to make $500 K I believe.

Our highest paid player retired in 09 (he was on $450 K).

It also means we'll be able to utilize our veterans list with 2 spots.

We've got about $800 K free in the salary cap.

I don't really want Ball (I think his body will pack up by the age of 28) so it's irrelevant.

2 Days ago You said Luke Ball had an $800 k Bounty on his Head Old Xav & then said "Glad we didn't get him"

You obviously know nothing & are now clutching at straws

A True [censored]. I told ou to go back to your Cave....

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Days ago You said Luke Ball had an $800 k Bounty on his Head Old Xav & then said "Glad we didn't get him"

You obviously know nothing & are now clutching at straws

A True [censored]. I told ou to go back to your Cave....

Exactly. To the moderators no more Collingwood [censored] on here that's what big footy is for.

I strongly disagree with you on this one Jacey. Luke Ball will be spoken to and offered terms before he needs to choose b/w the ND and the PSD. If he nominates the ND, he will directly cost us pick 18 (which I personally would not use for him). If, after speaking to our club, he nominates for the ND, he is stating quite simply that he does not want to be at Melbourne. If true, I don't want him at Melbourne.

I argee, if Ball nominates for the national draft, than i don't want him ether.

I argee, if Ball nominates for the national draft, than i don't want him ether.

In that unlikely event, yes, we would require a second thought on drafting him at 18.

Until he does this, I will not indict.

He will either make the hard decision to stay at a club on far less money for a coach that doesn't want him, or he will make the harder decision to come to the back-to-back wooden spooners and start a new, demanding, chapter in his life.

BTW, Sydney wished to trade Picks 6 and 14 to Richmond for Pick 3, they rate this draft less than I do and Ball will not get to 18 if goes in the ND. Port or Sydney will snap him up. I really don't think he will go that route.

BTW, Sydney wished to trade Picks 6 and 14 to Richmond for Pick 3, they rate this draft less than I do and Ball will not get to 18 if goes in the ND. Port or Sydney will snap him up. I really don't think he will go that route.

I think the main thing with that was that Sydney really wanted Dustin Martin....they didn't offer Freo the same deal, I don't think it has a lot to do with the depth of the draft.

Guest hangon007
I agree with all of that and would have nothing against ball captaining the club.

After McLean I think Grimes is probably the best fit for the role from reports I have heard, and he is probably to young to do so in 2011.

He is not even one of our players .... why would you consider making him captain? Lets just take one step at a time.

Its all media speculation .... remember what Swabby said .... dont always believe what you read in the papers.

Edited by hangon007

He is not even one of our players .... why would you consider making him captain? Lets just take one step at a time.

Its all media speculation .... remember what Swabby said .... dont always believe what you read in the papers.

Ball is a natural leader. MFC lack leaders who are ready to lead the club post Junior. MFC need to convince Ball to commit to the red and blue.

Its a plausible with some sense.

sen morning glory on twitter posted half hour ago that saints fans must tune in tomorrow morning for some breaking news. just our luck Ball has re-signed!!!

or there is something else going on at the saints i do not know about...............

has this news been announced yet?

If we can't land Ball in the PSD then heads should roll. We must have the money to pay him. He will be our no 1 midfielder and he will be able to show the 2 best kids in the draft how it's done or he can stay at St Kilda where he has clearly fallen out with Lyon who doesn't rate him.

A big name player is just what this club needs, he is great at clearances and we are the worst team at that so we definately need him. If we can't land him then I'll have to ask what is the club doing? I'm getting sick and tired of this club not being able to land quality experienced players.

AGREED !!!!

Ball is a natural leader. MFC lack leaders who are ready to lead the club post Junior. MFC need to convince Ball to commit to the red and blue.

Its a plausible with some sense.

Do you really think so?

Do you not think its an insult to the club and to Ball to suggest that he'd come to the club after we'd offered to hand him the captaincy?

I don't think if Ball is a true leader and as competitive as he is said to be, that there's any chance in hell he'd want to be handed any leadership position without earning it.

To say it'd be a hollow victory would be an understatement.

Offering the captaincy to Luke Ball would be a desperate and ill-considered move.

Edit: not necessarily directed at your post Rhino, just was easiest to reply to yours and comment on lunacy of the general idea of offering Ball a leadership possie.

Edited by Keyser Söze

Confirmed we won't use picks 1,2,11,18 on Ball

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...73/default.aspx

The thing is... if the MFC can convince Ball to come over...then we surely would not NEED to use any of those first 4 picks as he would already be on the same page as us. He would appreciate the extra value using a pick on another value adding kid rather than essentially wasting it on himself !!

Do you really think so?

Do you not think its an insult to the club and to Ball to suggest that he'd come to the club after we'd offered to hand him the captaincy?

I don't think if Ball is a true leader and as competitive as he is said to be, that there's any chance in hell he'd want to be handed any leadership position without earning it.

To say it'd be a hollow victory would be an understatement.

Offering the captaincy to Luke Ball would be a desperate and ill-considered move.

Edit: not necessarily directed at your post Rhino, just was easiest to reply to yours and comment on lunacy of the general idea of offering Ball a leadership possie.

Whilst we have a fine batch of young players with leadership apsirations and potential, I dont think any are ready to take the next step for captaincy once Junior goes. Its not an insult but a reflect of where the

Providing he is fit, Ball is 25/26 with around 100 games experience who has been an AFL captain and has played significant level of finals footbal. He is an age and personality type which we are bereft of. I see no problem offering him a VC role (one of a couple in the team). If he stands up to the test then he is a captaincy candidate when Junior departs.

Suc an appointment could drive other leadership aspirants to step up in competition. But I am lukewarm on Bruce, Green (and also on McLean) and Davey as captain.

As a said its plausible that this offer of a leadership role may be in the mix. I didnt say offer him the captaincy straight off and it should not be a given.

Grimes and others are too young. Hardly "lunacy" under the circumstances.

Confirmed we won't use picks 1,2,11,18 on Ball

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...73/default.aspx

If Ball wants to come to MFC, then it would be lunacy to use pick 18 or any pick on him. He owes the Saints nothing. And he would be only punishing MFC by getting it to play in a lottery.

As long as he comes to the Club with a new page.

Regardless of our ladder Position we are a Proud Club, If Luke Ball wants to be a leader he must earn it.

I don't want the club Dangling Big Carrots at him.

Do that once he is on the list.

The last thing this club needs to show the General Public is Desperation.

Just show luke that Youtube Video & give him a copy of "The Red Fox"

Take him to meet Jimma-then maybe he will want to come.

If Ball wants to come to MFC, then it would be lunacy to use pick 18 or any pick on him. He owes the Saints nothing. And he would be only punishing MFC by getting it to play in a lottery.

I'm not sure why we needed to reveal this publicly. Surely the knowledge that Melbourne may in fact use one of 11 or 18 in the ND on Ball may have helped persuade him against rolling the dice and trying to get to Collingwood. What's to be gained by revealing the desire to keep picks 11 and 18 out of the Ball situation? To settle the nerves of irrational posters who think pick 18 will definitely solve our KPF deficiencies?

I'm not sure why we needed to reveal this publicly. Surely the knowledge that Melbourne may in fact use one of 11 or 18 in the ND on Ball may have helped persuade him against rolling the dice and trying to get to Collingwood. What's to be gained by revealing the desire to keep picks 11 and 18 out of the Ball situation? To settle the nerves of irrational posters who think pick 18 will definitely solve our KPF deficiencies?

Smokescreen in the poker game going on? It does seem counterproductive to announce it though.

As long as he comes to the Club with a new page.

Regardless of our ladder Position we are a Proud Club, If Luke Ball wants to be a leader he must earn it.

I don't want the club Dangling Big Carrots at him.

I agree.

I believe Cam Bruce or Brad Green will play more games next year than Luke Ball.

I also think that Cam Bruce would be more valuable any way you want to look at it. Leadership included.

I cant believe so many are dishing crap out to these two by wanting a has-been to come in and take over.

Many Saints fans I know think he will struggle to play 10 games next year even if Grant Thomas was coach.

I hope we dont get him.

Agree, strategic mistake IMO. If we told his manager we rate him and would take him with 18 then he may as well come to us in the PSD.