Matty Lloyd

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Is his time up at Bomberland ... Will he go or will he stay?

Would you want him if he went?

Hell Yes I would ... take him in a "heartbeat" as many say around here.

Sorry mate, I wouldn't. Because of where our list is at present. Why would you consider him when he won't be around when our side is thriving? He'd only keep someone out of the side and hamper their development and hold up our list.

Guest hangon007
Why would you consider him when he won't be around when our side is thriving?

Here are a few of my thoughts ... must stress think just because he is no longer in Essendon plans that should not exclude him from our plans ... on the old theory Essendon & Dess at two different stages of development.

Ok ... IMHO to thrive first you must learn. To learn you must have a good teacher!

IMHO ... Short-term ... We could not get a better teacher running round our forward line at present!

IMHO ... Long-term ... Could be a perfect forward coach once he gives up the game.

IMHO ... I just think he could be a nice fall back position ie used to buy time

2009 Draft ... Our present position and you must plan that this possibly wont change

Pick 1 Top mid

Pick 2 Top mid

Pick 18 Lesser KPF ... allowed to develop at Casey and not overburden with expectation

IMHO ... He could be cheap as chips!

IMHO ... We could construct a very dangerous forward line around

FF - Scully Lloyd Davey

HF - Jurrah Watts Green

Bate moves up ground to be that more damaging wing-half forward floater ... IMHO his more suited role

Just a thought more as a development type role than an over emphasis on his playing role.

Edited by hangon007

????

Ok ... IMHO to thrive first you must learn. To learn you must have a good teacher!

Fair enough. But how much can he teach in what will probably be ay best 14-16 appearances? Probably more like 10.

IMHO ... Short-term ... We could not get a better teacher running round our forward line at present!

Ditto

IMHO ... Long-term ... Could be a perfect forward coach once he gives up the game.

Why would he choose the dees more than any other club? He's FAR more likely to go back to Essendon. And one season at MFC isn't going to make him more likely to stay.

??? I don't get it.

2009 Draft ... Our present position and you must plan that this possibly wont change

Pick 1 Top mid

Pick 2 Top mid

Pick 18 Lesser KPF ... allowed to develop at Casey and not overburden with expectation

I don't think our first 3 picks will be altered because of what Matty Lloyd does. He's going to be a very small factor in only the next 12 months. Drafting is done looking at the next decade.

Still a place on the list though. Not to mention the message it would send to recruit a has-been, who has left his club a sniper.

FF - Scully Lloyd Davey

HF - Jurrah Watts Green

Bate moves up ground to be that more damaging wing-half forward floater ... IMHO his more suited role

For a start, Davey doesn't play forward like that anymore. Secondly, Lloyd isn't a 22 round player. He's just as good a chance to do a Neitz in his last season as kick 50 goals.

I like how you put "IMHO" before every point. It's fair enough, Lloyd, on the surface, is one of the great players, certainly the best forward of the last 10 years. But if anything, the last 3 years of Essendon pain have shown us what he really is. At least in part a beneficiary of a great coach and solid midfield. When at the height of their powers, he looked like he was a monty to crack 1000 goals, and could have gone even more. Look at him now, he's a shadow of that player. Not even in the same ballpark. He's said himself he has one season left, and he's NOT going to kick 75 goals. And honestly, as much as we like the IDEA of teaching kids, there has to be some compelling reason to recruit a player at his age and effectiveness ON FIELD. Look at JMac. His end to the season was back to somewhere near his best... add THAT to his leadership and the club wants to keep him.

As a teacher, while he would be very handy to show a think or two to Watts, I feel like letting the young guys evolve is FAR more valuable. It's a no for mine. Too many factors in the "cons" column.

Edited by Dappa Dan

Here are a few of my thoughts ... must stress think just because he is no longer in Essendon plans that should not exclude him from our plans ... on the old theory Essendon & Dess at two different stages of development.

Pick 1 Top mid

Pick 2 Top mid

FF - Scully Lloyd Davey

HF - Jurrah Watts Green

Just a thought more as a development type role than an over emphasis on his playing role.

:blink::blink::huh::lol::lol:

There is no chance Lloydy will be playing for Melbourne next year no chance at all and scully foward? would of thought if we got

Trengove or Morabito they'd be a better chance of playing foward then scully IMO

After detailed consideration, following due diligence, assessing the big picture, the holistic permutations, looking at it every which way, the pros & cons, the cons & pros, the fors, the againsts, what is best for the club, the costs, the returns, the future of Twitter v Facebook, Magic v 3MP, Nigella Lawson v Jamie Oliver, in a word:

NO!

You are very humble, hangon. Or at leat your opinions are...

We moved on Robbo so we could attempt to fit Watts, Bate, Sylvia, Jurrah, Petterd, Martin, and Wonaeamirri into the one team to play forward. All under 24, they need time together to develop.

Yes, we would kick more goals with Robbo/Lloyd in 2010, but it would negatively affect how many goals we kick in 2012, 2013 etc.

I can't believe I'm bothering to reply to this thread...

but for a start, Matthew Lloyd has his eye on a career in the media after he retires.

This is why he holds the mantle of being the most bland commentator / panelist in all of the AFL media.

I'd find it more exciting if they sat a screwdriver on his seat and had Quartermain ask it questions.

The rest isn't worth bothering with...

YAWN.

Sorry mate, I wouldn't. Because of where our list is at present. Why would you consider him when he won't be around when our side is thriving? He'd only keep someone out of the side and hamper their development and hold up our list.

Spot on.

Will be a Don for his last season in 2010.

Guest hangon007
You are very humble, hangon. Or at leat your opinions are...
B)

We moved on Robbo so we could attempt to fit Watts, Bate, Sylvia, Jurrah, Petterd, Martin, and Wonaeamirri into the one team to play forward. All under 24, they need time together to develop.

"time together to develop" ... Tiger talk IMHO ... consider putting quality experience capable of teaching them I say ... we lack balance toooooooo young ... not enough teachers

plus "time" is a luxury not all of us get to use in these modern days of AFL football

Yes, we would kick more goals with Robbo/Lloyd in 2010, but it would negatively affect how many goals we kick in 2012, 2013 etc.

Well how can you be sure about that?

"time together to develop" ... Tiger talk IMHO ... consider putting quality experience capable of teaching them I say ... we lack balance toooooooo young ... not enough teachers

plus "time" is a luxury not all of us get to use in these modern days of AFL football

The games that they play and the experience they get with each other is really important. And next year we're going to give young players the opportunities to grow with each other, so hopefully Watts, Strauss and Blease and the young players we draft this year will be able to play games together.

That's the important thing you've got to understand and that's going to take a couple of years. If you average out 16, 17 or 18 games a year of connecting games together, then they've got to play games together to achieve it.

It's the number of games we can put into the right players that is going to see us grow – that's the best and most methodical way we can plan to go forward, rather than put any big statement out there.

Dean Bailey

September 2009

Guest hangon007
The games that they play and the experience they get with each other is really important. And next year we're going to give young players the opportunities to grow with each other, so hopefully Watts, Strauss and Blease and the young players we draft this year will be able to play games together.

That's the important thing you've got to understand and that's going to take a couple of years. If you average out 16, 17 or 18 games a year of connecting games together, then they've got to play games together to achieve it.

It's the number of games we can put into the right players that is going to see us grow – that's the best and most methodical way we can plan to go forward, rather than put any big statement out there.

Dean Bailey

September 2009

Excellent alternative argument & beautifully put.