Franklin's Bump

45HG

I think what happened to Franklin is an absolute travesty. There was no malicious intent, or aiming for head-high contact and his feet never left the turf. He lined Cousins up for a bump and Benny ducked into it. Unfortunate scenario for Benny, but hey, hasn't he got "such is life" tattooed on his gut?

One of the dumbest tribunal mistakes I've ever seen and just makes it taboo for a tall player to lay bumps. Bumping is an age old part of the game but looks to be somewhat redundant, biggest reason I can see why Byron Pickett was forced out of the game also.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin's decision is a shame...

but what about Lloydie today!! Did anyone else see it? He charged into the centre square, absolutely pollaxed Brad Sewell. It wasn't high, but it was hard. If Buddy's was two weeks, Lloyd will get at least 4.!!

Franklin's decision is a shame...

but what about Lloydie today!! Did anyone else see it? He charged into the centre square, absolutely pollaxed Brad Sewell. It wasn't high, but it was hard. If Buddy's was two weeks, Lloyd will get at least 4.!!

[/quoteT]

The front of Lloyd's shoulder hit him square in the head and knocked him out before he hit Ryder or the ground. I fail to see how it wasn't high and don't see how the tribunal or Essendon could argue otherwise.

Interesting comment made by Cambell Brown on MMM after the game. Called Lloyd a sniper and a dog. Even if you hate Hawthorn you just got to love Brown and the way he goes about it.

Lloyd is a Quiet Sniper & Dog, always has been. I love Campbell Brown wish we had a couple of Him in the Red & Blue.

They are the Type of Player we need for Success. Hard Tough who give it all for the Jumper.

Lloyd has often dropped the shoulder, not to mention his Goal Square Dives.

Despise Lloyd, Respect Brown.

Edited by why you little

The front of Lloyd's shoulder hit him square in the head and knocked him out before he hit Ryder or the ground. I fail to see how it wasn't high and don't see how the tribunal or Essendon could argue otherwise.

Interesting comment made by Cambell Brown on MMM after the game. Called Lloyd a sniper and a dog. Even if you hate Hawthorn you just got to love Brown and the way he goes about it.

Yeah, I didn't pick it up...from one view, it didnt seem high, but on the replay, definitely high contact.

Browny, what a statement!! "I definitely hope Lloyd plays on next year...his time is coming" That will be hilarious to see Brown vs Lloyd next year

I would argue that two players charged headlong for the ball and collided. If this is cause for 4 weeks, why wasn't Alex Rance sent packing when he broke Green's jaw? Why not Presti when he knocked out Rance? Both of these were cases of head high contact when both players were intent on the ball. I would be arguing this angle if I were the Bombers.

Brought back those memories of the Michael Long hit on Troy Simmonds in the 2000 GF. Seems to be part of the Essendon culture, especially when finals are at stake.

Be fun to watch Tassie Hawks v Essendon Thugs next year.

Called Lloyd a sniper and a dog. Even if you hate Hawthorn you just got to love Brown and the way he goes about it.

I dont recall Brown referring to Lloyd as a dog. Brown should shut his trap especially the way Hawks have underperformed this year and rested on their laurels. Its clear though that Brown's tough man antics appeal to a certain demographic.

I hear on the news Sewell had got a depressed fracture of the cheekbone and a cracked eye socket.

On that front, I just see a 4 week penalty blowing out to six weeks.

Brought back those memories of the Michael Long hit on Troy Simmonds in the 2000 GF. Seems to be part of the Essendon culture, especially when finals are at stake.

Be fun to watch Tassie Hawks v Essendon Thugs next year.

Long's incident was far far worse and if he had done that today he would have got at least 13 weeks.

Given Franklin's incident last week and the infamous Richie Vandenburg "draw a line in the sand" against Essendon, you have a myopic view.

I really wonder how many have actually played footy. Its a CONTACT sport. An element of the game is a well exectued bump/hit . Most often a hip /shoulder is done side/semi side on in oder to knock theopponent off the ball..or if within 5 completely out the way. its legitimate and a good one is something to behold, to enjoy and invariable not to be on the end of !! lol.

Sometimes the game can conspire that the opponents are not side on most likely as a result of one or both players change of line. Football , especially at theh highest levels is played at break neck ( npi ) speed. The times available for decisions or changes of them are split seconds. Its a hard game.. Yes people might get hurt or injured. Its a risk inbedded in the game.

Every effort ought to be made to rub out the INTENTIONAL head injury. There are times in the game where such things are preventable. And then there's accidental injuries in legitimate collisions. You can get hurt returning to earth after a specky, you can get hurt rucking, you can get hurt smothering a kick, tackling... hell you can even do personal damage trying to relocate a goalpost !! Just where do you draw the line ?

Common sense suggests you do it at the point where decisions one way or the other can be had. And then you lay down the rules in an unambiguous manner and you need to ajudicate in a consistent manner.

Where a player is seen to be guilty of head contact in a determined and nonaccident and avoidable manner then there ought to be penalties invoked . Where its purely an unfortunate by product of an otherwise 'reasonable " and legitimate play then thats all it is. Leave it there.

agree completley. if it is genuinely accidental, it should be a free for 'too high'. the charging rule was good, just not applied evenly. if the force was excessive, ie jumped in, went in with an elbow then you get rubber out. if the player has head fully over the ball and you michael long him, you get rubbed out. but contact in a bump that is accidental...

btw having now seen franklins bump i would say the reason the bump was high is that cousins went to handball, baulked, and changed direction. if cousins had of handballed like he indicated he was going t, the tackle would have been ineffective, but the bump would have been to the side and legal, arms tucked in, and either knocked the ball lose, or at the least, taken cousins out of the play, which is legal. cousins changed direction and the bump was high. franklin had even lowered his body position by bending at the knees in an attempt to contact his shoulder.