Rumour around the Traps:

Boak, Salopek and Pearce want out ... the wheels are falling off at Port!

Was it you, DJ&MH that said we were (rumoured to be) sounding out Pearce? I'd be interested in both Boak and Pearce, but the latter would have to string together some consistent football.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love Pearce at our club, still young isnt he?

Cheers mate! Well he ticks that box.

Only problem is if we do indeed draft Scully AND Trengove, where does Pearce fit in?

This becomes the thing dosnt it...where to put all these mid types. which for mine really suggest that if we were to get the likes of Pearce..then there has to be movement off of our list too.

even if we didnt play him inthe middle per se.. his speed would be killer off the half back line coming though.. He has the ability to go forward and kick goals too.. what a bugger huh !! :lol:

another way of thinking this is..

Imagine having Scully, tTengove and Pearce... then the question you start askingis where does McLean, Moloney and Jones start fitting in ??.. 2 probably do..but three ?

Edited by belzebub59

I'd really love a good out of contract player to want to come to Melb via the PSD. With more retirements we should have plenty of cap room and hopefully prospective recruits can see the blue sky at the MFC.

H..the PSd has been a great source of players ( I think ) for us and you highlight poignantly that we ought now have more money and room to accomodate someone. I dont think for a moment we are nearly as much on the nose as some sem to think and a wise , out of favour ( politcally) might ju st see us as the perfect platform to continue and prosper. We've latched on to t afwe smokies via this road but its quitel likely a player with a more known profile might be sitting there for the grabbing this year. :)

Yeah, I'd prefer to take someone like Pearce at 34 and leave that PSD #1 to an unknown or a Luke Hodge.

Pearce for pick 34? Maybe with a player (ie Rivers, Jamar). Port would want higher (ie. they'd like 18). However, because Melbourne holds (PSD#1), that might work.

Edited by High Tower

If Port Adelaide lose Pearce and Boak that would crush their supporters, but hey I'm more then happy to take one of them.

Pearce for pick 34? Maybe with a player (ie Bell). Port would want higher (ie. they'd like 18). However, because Melbourne holds (PSD#1), that might work.

Good point you make about the PSD. Techincally can't we just say to Pearce we will in the PSD? or is their some sort of unwritten law?

If Boak and Peace wanted to come to Melbourne and we had to give up a few picks like 34 and 18, should we take both or one?

I think Boak is a must if we can get him.

I wouldn't mind having the fastest player in the AFL in our team, but he has nearly played 100 games and he is a little behind where he should be.

Edited by Mr Morton

Pearce for pick 34? Maybe with a player (ie Bell). Port would want higher (ie. they'd like 18). However, because Melbourne holds (PSD#1), that might work.

Yeah, I'd play hard ball. We have leverage with PSD 1 and therefore shouldn't give away pick 18. We're in a position of power here, let's not waste it. 34 or nothing, IMO. If Williams wants to play funny buggers with us, like he did Nick Stevens, then we should just say no, but potentially pick him up in the PSD if nothing better comes along.

Edited by AdamFarr

Why do people think an interstate club will be willing repository for a player just because he was born there that clearly is not AFL standard and cant get a game with us?

Yeah, there's no point throwing Bell into the trade deal. Just offer a pick and that's it. It's that or they loose him for nothing in the PSD. By the way, just on this, does anyone know if Pearce is contracted?

If Port Adelaide lose Pearce and Boak that would crush their supporters, but hey I'm more then happy to take one of them.

I reckon they will lose Choko before both of those players. He is part of the problem at Port.

Good point you make about the PSD. Techincally can't we just say to Pearce we will in the PSD? or is their some sort of unwritten law?

If Boak and Peace wanted to come to Melbourne and we had to give up a few picks like 34 and 18, should we take both or one?

The PSD is a bargaining tool to leverage a better deal between the two clubs. Forcing the issue for a player to go through the PSD is a perfect way of creating bad blood where what goes around comes around.

Port wont take picks 18 and 34 for either one. In this draft those picks are worth picks 24 and 44 in a normal draft.

Why do people think an interstate club will be willing repository for a player just because he was born there that clearly is not AFL standard and cant get a game with us?

True. Perhaps Rivers or Jamar instead.

The matter is noted. ;)

Edited by High Tower

I reckon they will lose Choko before both of those players. He is part of the problem at Port.

I thought he signed a 2 year contract? I think.

The PSD is a bargaining tool to leverage a better deal between the two clubs. Forcing the issue for a player to go through the PSD is a perfect way of creating bad blood where what goes around comes around.

Port wont take picks 18 and 34 for either one. In this draft those picks are worth picks 24 and 44 in a normal draft.

good point.

Do we have much to bargin with then? Tom Scully is coming to Melbourne but i'm not 100% sure on Pick 2 yet, as in using it for a trade or getting Trengove.

Edited by Mr Morton

According to the club he has been offered a 2 year contract.

For weeks the word has been that Williams has not signed it and in the last couple of days word has been that Williams has not even seen the contract yet.

There's still a lot of water to go under the bridge down at Alberton...

Where are all of these rumours stemming from? Boak and Pearce would be devastating losses for Port. I am not buying it.

Word has it there are quite a few clauses in there that hes just not happy with...Big sticking points. Chocco is Chocco and he doesnt like being constrained....nor would I really. I beleive he's waiting for his manager to sight a much more friendlier contract before he even bothers..... theres alot that are just a bit strange in Adelaide you know !! lol

good point.

Do we have much to bargin with then? Tom Scully is coming to Melbourne but i'm not 100% sure on Pick 2 yet, as in using it for a trade or getting Trengove.

I dont think it is formally signed according to one rumour. There are probs at Port and he is definitely part of it. Some of the players should go as well. A few rolled over and played doggy this year. You need to weed them out. I dont think Boak and Pearce are necessarily the problems.

Yes its a bargaining tool for the other party to come to fair and reasonable position. It should be only exercised in extreme cases on a Club as its a small world in the AFL and you screw someone you can expect to get that back.

Word has it there are quite a few clauses in there that hes just not happy with...Big sticking points. Chocco is Chocco and he doesnt like being constrained....nor would I really. I beleive he's waiting for his manager to sight a much more friendlier contract before he even bothers..... theres alot that are just a bit strange in Adelaide you know !! lol

Correct.

Although if I was Port... I would choof him off. He's too long in the tooth at Port and I dont think a number of the senior players are that united behind him.