Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Davey for Captain

Roost It

Moloney ©

Green (VC), McLean (VC), Davey (VC)

Edited by Scully The Tank Engine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green and Davey are our best players. Both are at the right age to become Captain with Green having at least good 3 years left and Davey a good five years. I love the how tuff Green is. Always eyes for the ball, always going hard. Davey has done a great job leading the Aboriginal players and his greatest benefit to the club may well be to continue to concentrate on them.

I would like to see:

Green: Captain

Davey: VC

Atm Macca is doin the job, and today had a captain's day. Macca Played like a captain. Davey killed it and led all day, but not like macca

I know he was nothing like Macca, He was better !!

James McDonald has given great service as a player but wouldn't be a captain in any top line team.

Davey oozes excellence. His skills are second to none and his running speaks for itself.

Green is all about toughness. He never shirks a contest and always put his head down.

Both would be excellent leaders, we just need to decide what we need more, toughness or excellence.

If you were to rate toughness and skill level as around equal (ie they both have the same points on the board for onfield conduct) what is left is how they do things off the field. Davey's work in this area is well documented. He's the founder of the clubs indigenous scholaship program and has worked tirelessly to increase our profile in the top end. Green is far less prominent that Davey, but I have seen the odd mention such as the recent article on Morton re-signing in which he credits Green and Bruce for taking him under their collective wing and making sure he settled in ok. From this it is evident that they both work for the team off the field as well. I would say then that if either one were made captain and the other VC, we would have nothing to complain about.

Guest oldman emubitter

was talking to Aaron at the pre game function in perth earlier this year and predicted he would be in the leadership group next year

and captain the following. He humbly dismissed it.

Looks like bailey might have junior earmarked for a back flank/pocket for the remainder of his career which i hope includes next

as his last, then aaron will be ripe to step into the breach

What about Moloney for his off-field contributions? A sizeable donation to the debt demolition for the 2nd year running; heading the first-year boxing camps in Warnambool for it's 2nd year; preparing MFC History kits for all new players at the club (an initiative started up by he and current captain McDonald), and generally being acknowledged as a true club leader with only the best intentions of the football club in mind at all times.

I know the youngsters in the side look up to him, he has their respect and even holds some authority over them when out in social settings, ie. pubs, clubs etc. I have seen him gather the troops after a night out before 'curfew', playing the responsible big brother who'll give 'em a clip behind the ears to keep them in line.

He presents himself as a passionate and affable character and is always happy to have a quick chat about the club, even if u just spot him in the street (i've had a couple of nice chats with him bumping into him around the St Kilda area). Most of all, he loves the club as much as any fan does, and he plays a hard, uncompromising brand of football on-field. He'll have a top-3 finish in the B&F this year, and at 25 is reaching the peak of his career.

My bias is shining thru here, but the way he's handled himself, with regard to his preparation, getting his body right over the last year, and playing good consistent footy, as well as his off-field contributions, make him the perfect candidate to captain the club IMO. He may not have the high-profile appeal or talent of an Aaron Davey, but his leadership qualities and MFC passion cannot be doubted.

What about Moloney for his off-field contributions? A sizeable donation to the debt demolition for the 2nd year running; heading the first-year boxing camps in Warnambool for it's 2nd year; preparing MFC History kits for all new players at the club (an initiative started up by he and current captain McDonald), and generally being acknowledged as a true club leader with only the best intentions of the football club in mind at all times.

I know the youngsters in the side look up to him, he has their respect and even holds some authority over them when out in social settings, ie. pubs, clubs etc. I have seen him gather the troops after a night out before 'curfew', playing the responsible big brother who'll give 'em a clip behind the ears to keep them in line.

He presents himself as a passionate and affable character and is always happy to have a quick chat about the club, even if u just spot him in the street (i've had a couple of nice chats with him bumping into him around the St Kilda area). Most of all, he loves the club as much as any fan does, and he plays a hard, uncompromising brand of football on-field. He'll have a top-3 finish in the B&F this year, and at 25 is reaching the peak of his career.

My bias is shining thru here, but the way he's handled himself, with regard to his preparation, getting his body right over the last year, and playing good consistent footy, as well as his off-field contributions, make him the perfect candidate to captain the club IMO. He may not have the high-profile appeal or talent of an Aaron Davey, but his leadership qualities and MFC passion cannot be doubted.

Agree with everything said here, and have witnessed it myself also. Moloney is a true leader, and IMO should be captain.

I'd have Moloney ©

Mclean (VC)

and Davey, Green, Bruce rounding out the leadership group.

This way Bruce and Green will help lead and develop the youngsters, and in a few years time when they retire Grimes and whoever else will be ready to take up roles as leaders.

This is assuming we have a new captain and Mcdonald retires, which I think he probably should. He's been good the last few weeks, but he's really struggled this year, and at times even been a liability onfield. Not to discredit him, as he has been a fantastic servant of the club who has given his all and gone in hard when others dared not, but I think his time is passed now.

The longer this year goes on the more and more I can't see how anyone else can be Captain. He's a leader on and off the field. He's far and away our best player and he's got the respect of his teammates and the wider football community. He'll be our most senior player next year and deserves the honour. In 5 years when he retires a premeirship captain of the MFC Watts, Grimes or Scully will be well situated to takeover. Anyway you look at it, he ticks all the boxes.

Couldn't agree more, as much as I love McDonald, he just doesn't seem to have that spark that Davey has, when it comes to talking to the press etc. How great if we had an indigenous captain. He would be the first??

If he is able to control the occasional brain snaps he has, then he is as good a candidate as any.

I agree. That is my one concern. Well, actually my first, secondly, he needs to be able to find the ball against top opposition. Freo aren't top opposition. That said, he's the best candidate on our list at the moment. Those that still think McLean should be captain, obviously haven't watched him this year.

It is an interesting proposition; as a very young developing list there are so many unknowns that could develop over the next couple of years. One thing that has not been put in place over the past few years is a leadership succession plan. After Neitz retired there was literally no obvious leader to take over. So now we find ourselves in this situation again.

I have never really thought much of the co-captain idea but seeing how it has worked and benefitted the Saints this year, it may be a good fit for our team. A rotational list of Green, Davey and Moloney would certainly provide excellent leadership experience for all of them and spread the load.

I am also interested in taking leadership from the different strands of the playing group. We have a group of older experienced players, a growing group of young indigenous players and of course a lot of down right young and inexperienced players. To draw from all of those areas, whilst it may be trying to be all things to all people could be worth considering e.g a leadership group comprised of Green or Moloney, Davey and Grimes could well do the trick.

A couple of options that manages to keep Flash front and centre in any future leadership team.

It is an interesting proposition; as a very young developing list there are so many unknowns that could develop over the next couple of years. One thing that has not been put in place over the past few years is a leadership succession plan. After Neitz retired there was literally no obvious leader to take over. So now we find ourselves in this situation again.

I have never really thought much of the co-captain idea but seeing how it has worked and benefitted the Saints this year, it may be a good fit for our team. A rotational list of Green, Davey and Moloney would certainly provide excellent leadership experience for all of them and spread the load.

I am also interested in taking leadership from the different strands of the playing group. We have a group of older experienced players, a growing group of young indigenous players and of course a lot of down right young and inexperienced players. To draw from all of those areas, whilst it may be trying to be all things to all people could be worth considering e.g a leadership group comprised of Green or Moloney, Davey and Grimes could well do the trick.

A couple of options that manages to keep Flash front and centre in any future leadership team.

Having just reread this it is slightly of the topic - apologies

Have to go McLean ahead of Davey.

Davey's attitude when he was tagged out of the game a couple of weeks ago wasn't the sort of thing you want to see from the captain.

McLean leads by example and would be good for the club, both on and off the field.

Have to go McLean ahead of Davey.

Davey's attitude when he was tagged out of the game a couple of weeks ago wasn't the sort of thing you want to see from the captain.

McLean leads by example and would be good for the club, both on and off the field.

What of the issue of McLean's poor form this year? His last one was a good one, but only against Freo. Against quality sides this year he's been smashed.

For me it's a pick between Davey, Moloney and Green. But I think it is time to pick a player that can be captain for the next 5 years. The leader of the next generation. So that rules out Green.

I'd be happy with either Davey or Moloney.

The day that Macca and Davey carried Jim's old number 37 jumper off the field. Would it be too much to read into this that Davey is considered the captain in waiting by the playing group?

Either way, I think we'll make a good choice for the future of the club.

Couldn't agree more, as much as I love McDonald, he just doesn't seem to have that spark that Davey has, when it comes to talking to the press etc. How great if we had an indigenous captain. He would be the first??

Wanganeen?

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Davey was captain. Just over the last few months I've changed my mind from Green to Flash, although I wouldn't be disappointed if they were to give it to Green. As well as being incredibly talented, Davey has such a broad appeal especially to younger fans. He'll be around the club for many years to come and has already done so much for the club in terms of guiding the likes of Jetta, Aussie and Jurrah.

Whilst my preference really lies with Davey, any of him, Green or Moloney would be fantastic. I'd be genuinely disappointed if we appointed McLean but that's more of a personal thing more than anything else...sorry :unsure:

No disrespect to JMac 'cos I bloody love him and thought he had such a great game yesterday but I'd almost like him to play what I think will be his final year next year not as captain but instead guide whoever is appointed to take over.

Is Moloney going to be in our best 18/22 for the entirety of his career? It might get messy if we need or want to hand on the captaincy while he's still relatively young.

Agreed - Whilst his passion and enthusiasm for the club are second to none, I fear a Vandenberg type situation popping up in the future.

Agreed - Whilst his passion and enthusiasm for the club are second to none, I fear a Vandenberg type situation popping up in the future.

Does that mean we can look forward to a "line in the sand" game. Moloney can lead from the front. ;)

Queens Birthday would be a good time for that, what do you think 45h16?

What of the issue of McLean's poor form this year? His last one was a good one, but only against Freo. Against quality sides this year he's been smashed.

No, he hasn't. I suggest you look back at his numbers on the AFL or Hun websites.

Doesn't tell the whole story, and his season has been choppy, but has not been smashed.

Does that mean we can look forward to a "line in the sand" game. Moloney can lead from the front. ;)

I was more referring to having to replace a captain who's not in your best 22 every week. Hawthorn copped it over thier choice of Vandenberg

What's the question?