Who would you choose with our #2 draft pick?

cooko

Who would you choose with our 2nd pick?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That AFL.com article that cooko posted, it mentions that Rohan was once a full back, but is now a forward. I wouldn't know, because the only thing I know about Rohan is that he's a red-head. But I do know that Bailey has long professed his love for flexibility in his players. Probably doesn't really matter, but if Butcher is nothing but a FF, and Rohan has the ability already to play both ends of the ground, then who knows?

He played fullback alright... for COBDEN.

His closing speed must be very good (this looks the case from the footage I've seen) but that doesn't necessarily suggest he's accountable enough as a defender at TAC or AFL level.

That's also not to say that he isn't, merely that we should make assumptions based on that fact.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too late to delete your post ;)

You really have to see players live before making judgment calls. There's a reason recruiters fly around the country watching players. Sure, they'll also review tapes, but it's a supplementary source, not the primary.

Scully doesn't just handball, he's a beautiful left foot kick and is also a very good right foot kick. He's very fast. He has a superb engine - just runs all day creating play. He's a very good mark for his size. He's tough. And he's very comptetitive. Most of all, he'll be an elite midfielder of the like we haven't seen for decades. He has better hands in close than any Melbourne midfielder I've ever seen.

No-one on the list comes close to his package of skills. And if you watched the highlights from last years champs then you watched the wrong one. And it's also over a year old.

Scully is an inside mid, but he's also an outside mid. I'm not sure which video you've watched of him, AzzKikA, but are you sure it's Tom Scully? :P He wins the ball on the inside and also racks up possessions running past players. He can win the ball anywhere and everywhere. If he keeps the ball on a string, like he's done when I've watched him, at AFL level, then he'll be a superstar. To say he's just like what we've got is ridiculous. Colin Sylvia and perhaps Jack Grimes are the only other two players, on our list, that have shown me that they can win the ball out or in.

Edited by AdamFarr

That AFL.com article that cooko posted, it mentions that Rohan was once a full back, but is now a forward. I wouldn't know, because the only thing I know about Rohan is that he's a red-head. But I do know that Bailey has long professed his love for flexibility in his players. Probably doesn't really matter, but if Butcher is nothing but a FF, and Rohan has the ability already to play both ends of the ground, then who knows?

Indeed a good point you make titan. Bailey is a fan of "position adaptability", some would say only of recent times too.

Trengove and Morabito also fall into this category from others reports and from what I've seen. Not necessarily having played at Full Back as Rohan has at Cobden, but other various positions. One thing is for sure, Rohan has great pace and has a good leap for up forward, strong mark overhead.

Indeed a good point you make titan. Bailey is a fan of "position adaptability", some would say only of recent times too.

Trengove and Morabito also fall into this category from others reports and from what I've seen. Not necessarily having played at Full Back as Rohan has at Cobden, but other various positions. One thing is for sure, Rohan has great pace and has a good leap for up forward, strong mark overhead.

It hasn't just been of late. I remember when Bailey first came to the club, he talked about playing Miller both in attack and defence because he wanted to make him flexible (someone on Demonland has that quote as their sig). If you have a look at the good clubs, they've all got plenty of players who can play multiple positions.

Geelong: Rooke, Corey (amazing that he can be AA Centre in 08 and be a good chance to play on Fevola in 09), Kelly, Ling, Chapman, Lonergan

Hawthorn: Hodge, Brown, Dew, Campbell

St Kilda: Blake, Goddard, Baker

It's not too late to delete your post ;)

You really have to see players live before making judgment calls. There's a reason recruiters fly around the country watching players. Sure, they'll also review tapes, but it's a supplementary source, not the primary.

Scully doesn't just handball, he's a beautiful left foot kick and is also a very good right foot kick. He's very fast. He has a superb engine - just runs all day creating play. He's a very good mark for his size. He's tough. And he's very comptetitive. Most of all, he'll be an elite midfielder of the like we haven't seen for decades. He has better hands in close than any Melbourne midfielder I've ever seen.

No-one on the list comes close to his package of skills. And if you watched the highlights from last years champs then you watched the wrong one. And it's also over a year old.

Thanks for your discription of scully. Like many people on this site the only footage we see of scully is the old videos from last year. I can see how people can make an Assumption on him from these videos that is not entirely correct. I must admit i have had my doubts on him from doing exactly this. The problem with these short highlights pakages is exactly that, there highlights and don't give you an overall picture of what the player can do. You cant judge from the small amount of footage you get, whether a player has a great engine or there ability to run to the right postions. The only way you can know this is by watching him play, by following him round the park with little intrest in the game. We should reserve our judgement for people that have actully put the effort and time into watching a certain player

I think we're an absolute monty to get 3 of those 16, with at least one of those names to be still up on the board when our 2nd round pick comes.

I think we'll end up with Vardy or Fitzpatrick at that stage though, unless there is an exceptional kid left there.

Looks like we'll have the pick of other kids like Allen Christensen, Bucovaz, Bastinac, etc.

Could easily still end up with Butcher too

Whats your thoughts on Colyer as a 2nd Rnd-er & do you think he'll still be there??

If you want a gun kpp id suggest a guy by the name of Matthew Panos from Norwood in the sanfl.Hewas the best ranked forward in the U/18s carnival.Hes currently 190cm & about 85kgs.Started the year in U/18s then progressed to SANFL reserves & now to Norwoods League side.He can take a great mark & loves to take them contested,kicks it 60 metres & can play CHF or FF.In several games he has kicked half the teams scores & the big plus is hes doing it against experienced men who have played or are currently in AFL system,compared to Butcher whos only playing against boys.The kid will grow & if you look around you can find some video footage of him.He would definately be my pick after Skully

I loved how Panos plays. Moves beautifully. But 190cm? I couldn't seriously recruit a guy as a KP forward at that height without some Robbo-like tricks in his bag. And even then, Robbo was a rookie, and a very lucky recruit for us.

Don't worry about the "rumours". Simon Black cried when he was picked up by Brisbane. Michael O'Loughlin was gutted to leave SA and go to Sydney - now he plans to stay their after his retirement. Dangerfield is a Geelong boy, but I'm sure he'll stay. There are hundreds of examples. I'm not saying that there's not a "go home" factor, because there is, but if there's one place that worries me less it's Adeliade - despite Scott Thompson.

My concern over all the names you quote is that each club the payers went to had a strong identity and culture. MFC's has been a joke for a while now, which is a concern. Having said that, who needs culture when you are looking at GF berths?

I loved how Panos plays. Moves beautifully. But 190cm? I couldn't seriously recruit a guy as a KP forward at that height without some Robbo-like tricks in his bag. And even then, Robbo was a rookie, and a very lucky recruit for us.

My concern over all the names you quote is that each club the payers went to had a strong identity and culture. MFC's has been a joke for a while now, which is a concern. Having said that, who needs culture when you are looking at GF berths?

Brendan Fevola

#25 Carlton Blues Age: 28yr 6mth Games: 182 Born: January 20, 1981 Height: 191cm Weight: 98kg Position: Forward

----------------------------------------------------

Jarryd Roughead

#2 Hawthorn Hawks Age: 22yr 6mth Games: 101 Born: January 23, 1987 Height: 193cm Weight: 101kg Position: Forward

-----------------------------------------------------

Cameron Mooney

#21 Geelong Cats Age: 29yr 10mth Games: 185 Born: September 26, 1979 Height: 194cm Weight: 99kg Position: Forward

---------------------------------------------------

Taylor Walker

#13 Adelaide Crows Age: 19yr 3mth Games: 13 Born: April 25, 1990 Height: 192cm Weight: 87kg Position: Forward

------------------------------------------------------

Edited by dee-luded

Brendan Fevola

#25 Carlton Blues Age: 28yr 6mth Games: 182 Born: January 20, 1981 Height: 191cm Weight: 98kg Position: Forward

----------------------------------------------------

Jarryd Roughead

#2 Hawthorn Hawks Age: 22yr 6mth Games: 101 Born: January 23, 1987 Height: 193cm Weight: 101kg Position: Forward

-----------------------------------------------------

Cameron Mooney

#21 Geelong Cats Age: 29yr 10mth Games: 185 Born: September 26, 1979 Height: 194cm Weight: 99kg Position: Forward

---------------------------------------------------

Taylor Walker

#13 Adelaide Crows Age: 19yr 3mth Games: 13 Born: April 25, 1990 Height: 192cm Weight: 87kg Position: Forward

------------------------------------------------------

What is your point?

He's shorter than all of them and he has less tricks than them.

Is your point that we should avoid him at all costs?

I wouldn't go near him, from what I've seen I don't rate him... (and yes, I'm aware that what I have seen is not enough to properly judge him, that's just my ill-informed view)

Then pick out another 30 of your own.

Some supporters spend their life being "concerned". I think I'll start a list about things Melbourne supporters say their concerned about when there's little need to be concerned.

we should definitely pick up some value with pick 17! we will probably have our pick of Bastinac, Christensen, Hooper, Ah Chee, Hoegel, etc

would be great to steal another mid like Bastinac or Christensen who have apparently been pretty good in recent weeks.. Hooper looks like a solid backman.. but not too sure if he would be too small? ..would LOVE to have Ah Chee in the team! ..if only we could have them all..

also word on the street has it that Port will be looking for a ruckman with their first pick.. so probably Vardy or Fitzpatrick?

Thompson had issues with a friend didn't he? I thought that was the reason he wanted to head home and be closer to his family.

And regarding captains of the SA u18 team, Nick Smith held that title and we all know what happened there.

I don't know much about the individuals other than what everyone has read and heard. I guess I would prefer a stand out KP player behind Scully but if none are available then it would appear Trengrove is leading the race. In saying that Matt Burgan rated both Butcher and Rohan very highly on afl.com.au today. One concern I would have about Rohan is that Burgan says he was previously a full back. I think sometimes "versatile" under age players are found wanting at AFL as they don't play either role extremely well.

Another scenario with regard to trade week. Now I wouldn't give up either pick 1 or 2 (if we have both of them) but I would do so with our 3rd pick, likely to be 18. In all likelihood North will end up with pick 3 and Freo 4 or vice versa. Perhaps during trade week we can make it known that we are very keen on Morbiato at 2. I've read that Freo are already super keen (similar to Hill) and would take him even if they had pick 1. After the media gets word that Morbiato is the man meet with Freo and say we'll guarantee we won't take him if you give us something in return. Similar to the good old Veale deal but hopefully we end up with a very promising Victorian U23. Zac Clarke has seemed promising as a 203 cm ruckman. Maybe him and Crowley for 18 and Newton or Bell. And if they say no we pick up whoever we intended on taking with no harm done.

What is your point?

He's shorter than all of them and he has less tricks than them.

Is your point that we should avoid him at all costs?

I wouldn't go near him, from what I've seen I don't rate him... (and yes, I'm aware that what I have seen is not enough to properly judge him, that's just my ill-informed view)

My point is he's built & plays similarly to most of these 6'3"inch 6'4" types of heavy set build, he's a quality player with an exceptional kick. IMO he's taller than quoted as I went to watch him & Trengove play live. I've witnessed what they are, how big they are & what they can do.

Edited by dee-luded

One concern I would have about Rohan is that Burgan says he was previously a full back. I think sometimes "versatile" under age players are found wanting at AFL as they don't play either role extremely well.

It's not been out in the open, but Thompson left because of Daniher.

As for Rohan ? He played FB for Cobden, but he's not an AFL KPP. He's 186cm with pace and X factor. He's nothing like the typical FB's your envisaging.

I'd be amazed if we don't go for Trengove or Morabito. We're desperate for elite mids. And yes, we could do with Butcher also, but there's too many question marks with him to be a top 3 pick imo.

I'm sorry, but his first name is Jack, and therefore he must be added to our list. Trengove it is.

A story on trengove recently

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...0-21546,00.html

"Trengove needed little encouragement to get involved in the thick of the action and he racked up possessions as the Double Blues ran riot to have the game all but sewn up at half-time with a 62-point lead."

They're all shorter. I'm saying 192 is bare minimum for a KP forward. Even that's a bit small.

Then pick out another 30 of your own.

Some supporters spend their life being "concerned". I think I'll start a list about things Melbourne supporters say their concerned about when there's little need to be concerned.

their?

Who are you and what have you done with H?

Ok. You want me to rephrase? I'm MORE than concerned with it. I feel, generally, that the club is a long way from being out of strife, and will need sustained success for a good decade to put the ghosts of the last 3 years (or more, depending on what you view as the "dark" period) behind us. By sustained success I mean a good five years of threatening for the flag, with a couple of years either side for development and decline...

With that in mind, I don't want to see ANY of these top 20 picks wasted, as they will likely make the difference, one way or another, between a flag and just top 4. As for go home factor, it may not be a big thing. I may not even be able to come up with 30 names. (why 30 anyway?)

The point is, it exists. Why would WC and the Adelaide clubs be so keen to recruit local talent? IMO players with higher profile, and greater talent (5-10% of the league) are the ONLY ones that are a flight risk, as they know other clubs want them enough to cause a trade. If you're middle of the road, or depth, you're going to be happy wherever you are.

Now let's not get carried away. I'm not saying that Trengove, Morabito and Lucas are off the want list because they're interstaters. But it IS a factor, however small. I leant more towards Watts partly because he was a VIC. It wasn't a big reason, but it added to his suitability.

Scully and Trengove are walk up starts for Round 1.

You cannot go beyond these two ready made players.

I would be very dissapointed if we looked elsewhere if we had Picks 1 and 2. I think we can nab another talent with our Pick 18. I am sure Bazza has a few on his list that will slip through.

And just a thought! If Macca retires. LJ should inherit the 23!

I see your concerns Dappa, but remember he is still only an 18 year old kid. People don't stop growing until they are around 22 years old.

And i'm pretty sure that Neita was only 191cm tall.

I see your concerns Dappa, but remember he is still only an 18 year old kid. People don't stop growing until they are around 22 years old.

And i'm pretty sure that Neita was only 191cm tall.

And it hurt him. Can you imagine him with the same strength and ability at 194cm? Would have completely changed him as a player. Neitz was also never a Full forward. He was a CHB or CHF played out of position. It's a credit to him that he played like he did for so long. Besides, if Panos is going to be the same as Neitz, then for sure, recruit him. But I don't know that anyone would say that. (Oddly, Liam Pickering said Tom Hawkins was like a carbon copy of Neitz. Fat lot of good that's done him)

As far as your first sentence goes, you're absolutely right. I don't mean to sound like I'm drumming up drama. For what it's worth, even with go-home factor, I'm firmly in the Trengove camp at the moment. Based on a number of things... including the thoughts of respected posters who are known to have done their homework.

I have to say though, a bit more MAC-friendly footage wouldn't go astray. Plenty on Scully, but he's a bit of a dead rubber at this stage.