• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

John Butcher

grant

I'm starting to feel sorry for you 'Scully The Tank Engine' I think you have been through your reason's about a thousand times haha.

I'm a sucker for punishment!! :lol:

It's all good fun i guess..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question; have you seen him play live ? It really does put a different perspective when you're at the game and closely watching someone. I'll often watch a replay after having been at the match and you miss the intangibles.

Anyway, here's a recent video. Watch all 9 minutes, but remember, you still can't quite get a feeling of how fast someone is, etc, just on video. He'll kick the odd floater, but he has X factor in spades and will become a Sam Kekovich time running monster. He's still only 17.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/draft-3/2...thony-morabito/

You may have to scroll down a bit.

That said, I'm slightly leaning to Trengove, but would be happy with either. And I'll probably go back and forth for the next few months.

No, I haven't see him live, just the footage everyone else has seen (froom the u18's and WAFL). I should probably qualify my statement on him, I don't think he'll be a dud, he obviously has alot of potential. I just think Lucas (and Trengove and Scully) will be better in the long run.

What's my evidence to back it up? Well, nothing really. I'm not hung up over his kicking like many others, his kicking is fine, nothing wrong with it. Hard runners like that will always have the occasional floater and I'm sure he'll give good value to whoever picks him up. I just think that Trengove and Lucas will be better in the long term, but I don't have any hardcore evidence to back it up.

At the end of the day I'm just a rank amateur on this issue. I base my judgements on what I see, but I don't have the expertise in being able to see future champions (loved that story about whispering jack finding a players years ago). I also don't have the time in going to matches all over the country to see the kids play. For example, before the psd draft last year I didn't even know that Jurrah was a potential draftee. I'd seen his name thrown about on bigfooty but that was it. In hindsight he was the obvious choice, but I didn't have that knowledge at my fingertips back then to predict the outcome.

No, I haven't see him live, just the footage everyone else has seen (froom the u18's and WAFL). I should probably qualify my statement on him, I don't think he'll be a dud, he obviously has alot of potential. I just think Lucas (and Trengove and Scully) will be better in the long run.

What's my evidence to back it up? Well, nothing really. I'm not hung up over his kicking like many others, his kicking is fine, nothing wrong with it. Hard runners like that will always have the occasional floater and I'm sure he'll give good value to whoever picks him up. I just think that Trengove and Lucas will be better in the long term, but I don't have any hardcore evidence to back it up.

At the end of the day I'm just a rank amateur on this issue. I base my judgements on what I see, but I don't have the expertise in being able to see future champions (loved that story about whispering jack finding a players years ago). I also don't have the time in going to matches all over the country to see the kids play. For example, before the psd draft last year I didn't even know that Jurrah was a potential draftee. I'd seen his name thrown about on bigfooty but that was it. In hindsight he was the obvious choice, but I didn't have that knowledge at my fingertips back then to predict the outcome.

I know what you mean about Morabito - he seems to have an x factor that might make him an absolute elite AFL player one day... but players like this also can turn out to be Daniel Wells or Aaron Fiora

He just makes me feel uneasy, like if we drafted him I'd spend the next 8 years waiting for him to come of age.

Sort of like if Sylvia never managed to show the consistency and maturity he did this season.

I know what you mean about Morabito - he seems to have an x factor that might make him an absolute elite AFL player one day... but players like this also can turn out to be Daniel Wells or Aaron Fiora

He just makes me feel uneasy, like if we drafted him I'd spend the next 8 years waiting for him to come of age.

Sort of like if Sylvia never managed to show the consistency and maturity he did this season.

He's a 190cm strong, fast, line breaking rampaging bull. He's nothing like a Fiora or Wells.

At worst he'll be very very good. Could be a superstar.

He's a 190cm strong, fast, line breaking rampaging bull. He's nothing like a Fiora or Wells.

At worst he'll be very very good. Could be a superstar.

I was comparing them in terms of form only - I should have qualified that.

I've already sort of discussed my reasons for why I think we still need a KPF so I'm not going to go into that again. With the addition of Scully to the midfield mix, we are already starting to look formidable - Scully, Grimes, Sylvia, Blease, Strauss, Morton, (even Watts who could play a Pavlich/Goodes type midfield/forward role) are all, or are potential top liners.

Garland isn't a KPF, Martin will probably be a 'depth' player in our top 22 at best. We still need a KPF imo...

Sydney had a 'workman like' midfield and almost claimed back-to-back flags against a side that many believe had the best midfield in the game's history, because they functioned as a disciplined unit.

We need a high quality midfield to win a flag, but we also need an exceptional forward line to win one.

But by the same token, if our recruiters think Jack Trengove is an absolute standout, then we should pick him, but it would mean that we would have to say goodbye to the likes of Jones, McLean & Moloney because the midfield area is becoming cluttered. Don't forget, its likely we'll probably be able to add another few midfield types in future drafts prior to our flag window...

Its also unlikely we'll get our hands on a quality KP prospect at pick 18 in this draft, so that'll be 3 midfield types we're likely to pick in the top 20...

I sincerely hope we have learnt our lesson about drafting talls high up the draft because of a need. We took Luke Molan at pick 9 or so when he wasnt rated that high because he was thought to be the best tall left and look how that ended up. BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER!!!! It is that simple...

Btw is Butcher the only KPF you like? Anyone else you like in the draft or are they to small.

No, if you're under 195cm's then you might as well go play VFL as far as i'm concerned, probably ammo's actually... :lol:

I like Daniel Talia but I wouldn't really call him a KPF. Obviously, Panos is a reasonable prospect, but I reckon he'll be gone by pick 18.

Fitzpatrick?? He's just a raw colt at this stage. Don't know an awful lot about Vardy either.

I think we're just going to end up drafting 5 midfielders by the looks of it, so at least that'll keep you happy Morts... :lol:

I do like Ben Cunnington, Dustin Martin & Alan Christensen fwiw. Christensen's gone off the radar a bit in recent times, but he's a quality prospect for mine. Oh yeah, and Gary Rohan will be a superstar!! Would love another ranga at the club...

Edited by Scully The Tank Engine

I sincerely hope we have learnt our lesson about drafting talls high up the draft because of a need. We took Luke Molan at pick 9 or so when he wasnt rated that high because he was thought to be the best tall left and look how that ended up. BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER!!!! It is that simple...

Ah yes, poor Luke...

Not sure the Luke Molan/Butcher comparison is completely fair, considering that not 'one' club rated Luke Molan a 1st rounder prior to the draft except for 'us' :lol:

At least Butcher's in the mix...The Molan pick would have to be one of the greatest drafting clangers of all-time. Still breaks my heart even thinking about it... :angry:

Irrelevant really.

Molan could've been a midfielder or easily the best available and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

He didn't succeed purely because of a succession of horrific injuries.

But fwiw I agree with your attitude - BEST AVAILABLE.

No, if you're under 195cm's then you might as well go play VFL as far as i'm concerned, probably ammo's actually... :lol:

I like Daniel Talia but I wouldn't really call him a KPF. Obviously, Panos is a reasonable prospect, but I reckon he'll be gone by pick 18.

Fitzpatrick?? He's just a raw colt at this stage. Don't know an awful lot about Vardy either.

I think we're just going to end up drafting 5 midfielders by the looks of it, so at least that'll keep you happy Morts... :lol:

I do like Ben Cunnington, Dustin Martin & Alan Christensen fwiw. Christensen's gone off the radar a bit in recent times, but he's a quality prospect for mine. Oh yeah, and Gary Rohan will be a superstar!! Would love another ranga at the club...

5 Midfielders....hmmm I would like 5 Scully's.

I tell you what imagen if Scully turned out to be a DUDDD!! LOLLLL

5 Midfielders....hmmm I would like 5 Scully's.

I tell you what imagen if Scully turned out to be a DUDDD!! LOLLLL

That would be one of the 'weirdest' things of all time...

I think he's a safe bet just quietly... ;) I'm hoping we draft a gun in the 5th round just so we can stick it up the other recruiters who say there's no depth in this draft, which there isn't really...

But... Barry Prendergast reckons he'll get a couple of prospects in the 3rd and 4th rounds that are really the equivalent of 2nd round picks, cause the other recruiters are mugs :lol: ...

We've got Blease, Morton, Watts, Davey, don't think any of these guys will ever be particularly physically imposing (JW more-so temperament than build) so would love to have the Morabito machine charging through the midfield.

'dee-man', can you post us some links please to some of those newspaper articles which mention the Power & Crows wishing for Trengove. That would be good reading.

Most of it is news or radio talk.Graham Cornes has a sports show on radio & hes talked about him a bit.Must say SA has a major media bias though.All they ever say is that no one will leave the Crows or Power & that every SA kid wants to only play for them & never leave.I believe both clubs have had scouts out at the Sturt games watching him & are very impressed

Out of those guys is there a clear stand out and who would likely be available at pick 18 do you think?

My heart is hooked on the benefits of getting Butcher along side Watts with Jurrah as the xfactor. However my head is starting to accept that Trengove is probably best available and given where we (MFC) are we shouldn't argue. The one thing that is imperetive though IMO is that we get a good tall (not an absolute champion but someone competent) to share the load with Watts and be a dangerous alternative target who will take a quality defender. Surely pick 18 can grasp us someone half decent - please put who you think is the best likely option forward with pick 18 so I can ponder (it doesn't matter if it is a ranga).

Edited by 1858

Out of those guys is there a clear stand out and who would likely be available at pick 18 do you think?

My heart is hooked on the benefits of getting Butcher along side Watts with Jurrah as the xfactor. However my head is starting to accept that Trengove is probably best available and given where we (MFC) are we shouldn't argue. The one thing that is imperetive though IMO is that we get a good tall (not an absolute champion but someone competent) to share the load with Watts and be a dangerous alternative target who will take a quality defender. Surely pick 18 can grasp us someone half decent - please put who you think is the best likely option forward with pick 18 so I can ponder (it doesn't matter if it is a ranga).

Of the Tall forwards that will probably there at our pick 18, the most likely would be Jake Carlisle, but hopefully Panos will also be available. Panos has a very good set shot on him and a build that could see him become a silverback gorilla.

Of the Tall forwards that will probably there at our pick 18, the most likely would be Jake Carlisle, but hopefully Panos will also be available. Panos has a very good set shot on him and a build that could see him become a silverback gorilla.

Indeed, we could use one of those up forward. It would be great to get a dedicated forward with a great kick, not one of these kids who plays back but can go up forward but isn't the complete forward package - versatility is good but we want potency. Carlisle looks like he has played all over a bit, is he still pretty skinny? He seems to have the height.

Thanks for that.

Just a question; have you seen him play live ? It really does put a different perspective when you're at the game and closely watching someone. I'll often watch a replay after having been at the match and you miss the intangibles.

Anyway, here's a recent video. Watch all 9 minutes, but remember, you still can't quite get a feeling of how fast someone is, etc, just on video. He'll kick the odd floater, but he has X factor in spades and will become a Sam Kekovich time running monster. He's still only 17.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/draft-3/2...thony-morabito/

You may have to scroll down a bit.

That said, I'm slightly leaning to Trengove, but would be happy with either. And I'll probably go back and forth for the next few months.

Without seeing a lot of Morabito, the concerns with his kicking seem well founded. I reckon he hit the target once, in the entire game and even that was only just. The goal that he created for himself and finished was class though. However, Trengove for me.

Ah good old Shifter Sheahan ...

I don't think I've ever heard him give any sort of negative feedback towards a draftee - and why would he? it's his job to get them recruited.

has anyone ever gone back through shifters comments on draftees and compared them to how the draftee actually turned out. i.e. nick smith one of melbournes first picks?

Most of it is news or radio talk.Graham Cornes has a sports show on radio & hes talked about him a bit.Must say SA has a major media bias though.All they ever say is that no one will leave the Crows or Power & that every SA kid wants to only play for them & never leave.I believe both clubs have had scouts out at the Sturt games watching him & are very impressed

I would love Panos at pick 18 but I think with Tippet perhaps getting some juciy offers off the gold cost boys, I'm worry that late in the fisrt round the crows could nab Panos. Is this the feeling over in Adelaide? or can someone shed some light on who they think they might take. cause i know they like taking there own SA boys

Even if they are confident they will keep Tippet does anyone think they will go after Panos to give him (Tippet) a chop out at times? or am I hoping that they have this under control with Taylor Walker?

Edited by Clanger King

What is Panos like in terms of mobility?

I've seen very little of him and never in person.

Being able to cover a lot of ground is definitely a must for me in a KPF unless it is a late pick.

Without seeing a lot of Morabito, the concerns with his kicking seem well founded. I reckon he hit the target once, in the entire game and even that was only just. The goal that he created for himself and finished was class though. However, Trengove for me.

I favour Trengove too, but Morabito has star factor all over him.

Supporters really shouldn't form concrete views unless they've seen a player live.