The chicken and the egg

Pepe Dee Pew

If we can answer which comes first, chicken or the egg our top 2 picks should be easy.

Are our mids the reason our forwards look crap or are the forwards that bad they make our mids look like crap deliverers of the ball.

If the mids are not up to it then Scully and Trengove.

If the Forwards are not up to it then Scully and Butcher.

Davey and Bate are around 2 Inside 50s for every assist they have.

They are good deliverers forward.

Jones (especially), Moloney, and McLean are running at about 4 I50s for every assist they have.

They are not good deliverers forward.

And considering evolutionary theory, surely a chicken like creature evolved from, as birds apparently have, from the dinosaurs.

And considering that those bird-like dinosaurs laid eggs, I would suggest that the egg came first.

If we can answer which comes first, chicken or the egg our top 2 picks should be easy.

Are our mids the reason our forwards look crap or are the forwards that bad they make our mids look like crap deliverers of the ball.

If the mids are not up to it then Scully and Trengove.

If the Forwards are not up to it then Scully and Butcher.

Easy. The egg. This is what we call evolution.

The real question is this; Are you calling our midfielders or our forwards chickens? :P

or is it...which came first the chicken or the dinosaur ?? lol for we have some of the footy variety...you figure out which .. :D

we have a forward potential.. it has no structure as yet but the materials ARE there.. we have an underpowered vehicle.. bit like a Sunbird with a 2L donk just put putting around.. same car.. beefed up..bigger grunt and its an SLR5000 ( yes ..showing age I know !! lol ) but if you know...then you WILL know !! Not a lot needs to change oither than levels. the chasis IS there..just needs tweaking..

Get two mids.. .. heres the thing.. mids CAN score goals...KPP forwards cant do middle.. not rocketry is it ?? ;)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Mids, mids and again mids. The backline is starting to look good but will always struggle if the opp can put it in there time after time. The forward line has promise for the future once some of the kids mature. But it all starts with the mids. If we have the ball from the center the backs have an easier job and the forwards will kick goals given enough opportunity and good delivery.

I imagine Sylvia would be a very dangerous forward with that quick lead, exceptional strenght and good form - if he could get some dam good delivery.

He was recruited from the TAC system as a forward who can play mid.

LJ is quick and elusive. If he develops as expected and he gets fed like a baby by the mids he could be anything.

Bate also has talent that could be bought out by good delivery.

I reckon our mids and running backs are not doing the job properly. So I think a couple of elite A Grade mids would make a big difference.

These days with delivery you do not need to be 195 - 200 cms to be a good forward.

Put a couple of elite mids in and some development in Bennell and Grimes a forward line including:

Watts, Bate (191cm), LJ, Sylvia, Garland(?), Wonna could end up being very dangerous.

And considering evolutionary theory, surely a chicken like creature evolved from, as birds apparently have, from the dinosaurs.

And considering that those bird-like dinosaurs laid eggs, I would suggest that the egg came first.

Bingo! Exactly.

Which I think means... midfielders first?

I like your observation of the inside 50s / score assists. How about that, a constructive and informed use of statistics to illustrate a point borne out by match-day observations.

Kudos.

I'm no Kevin Sheehan, but if the tall forwards in this year's draft are tripe, then take two midfielders. Scully seems to be a lock at #1, so if Trengove or Manitoba or whatever his name is are the next best players then take the next best. Our midfield is disgusting anyway, it can use all the help it can get.

Rpfc, out of interest where'd you find that stat? I can never find assists.

What would be a good ratio do you think?

Hun and MFC site (but trusting the MFC/AFL site is fraught with danger).

Ratios are difficult to measure, especially considering we are the worst team, but Steve Johnson is at 68 I50s and 24 assists, and Chapman is 56 and 20. Montagna is 68 and 23, Dal Santo is 58 and 22, and Goddard is 46 and 22(!).

Davey 38 and 18.

Bate 39 and 17.

Sylvia 52 and 15.

Miller 23 and 10.

McLean 32 and 9.

Moloney 47 and 8.

Jetta 22 and 8.

Jones 48 and 8.

Bruce 37 and 7.

Green 22 and 6.

Make of those stats what you will.

My conclusions are that, while it isn't a perfect illustration of each players ability to hit a target going forward, it shows some players are better than others at turning thrusts forward into goals with their delivery.