• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah

Roost It

Where are you from? 1979? Indigenous players currently make up about 13% of players currently playing in the AFL. Teams are hardly as cautious these days. Franklin was taken at number five, and this was even with plenty of recruiters concerned with his demeanor and off field issues.

As for speculating where Jurrah would have been drafted had he gone through the 'regular' channels, it's hard to say. I'm not sure he would have been a top 5 pick either. But he would have likely gone in the first round or early second. But who really knows?

Either way, it doesn't matter. We took a chance and got him for a bargain.

I can't wait to see him debut in the AFL. Hopefully it's sooner than later. Either way, it's great news he's settling into Melbourne life so well.

Just one more reason to be excited about where the club is heading.

Read the whole thing mate, its called in context.

I was saying when it comes to a top 5 pick.

And it is a well known fact the indigenous players to take longer to develope and sometimes they dont adapt to the hustle and bussel of city life.

Big deal franklin is one example, if you want to go down that path then what about tambling.

and in no way was I putting him down, just saying that he would not have gone at pick 5. Around pick 20 id say.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and in no way was I putting him down, just saying that he would not have gone at pick 5. Around pick 20 id say.

Mate, I agree with you. Around pick 20 sounds about right. Late first round, early second.

I wasn't suggesting you were putting him down at all.

As for clubs being cautious about using high draft picks to draft indigenous talent, there are examples that run both ways. There's no doubt been penty of hesitation over the years by club recruiters when it comes to selecting indigenous players. There was the 'gone walkabout' concern held by many.

But my point was simply that since there is now around 13% of the league being made up of indigenous players, such worries about aboriginal players adjusting to life in 'the big smoke' should be not given to much weight. Many young aboriginal players have been drafted and adjusted very well to life in the city. Clubs are now far better at dealing with such issues and have a better understanding of indigenous players. I think these concerns are generally a thing of the past.

There are however no doubt still examples of players coming from remote communities and in these cases, such as with Jurrah, there have been legitimate concerns about his ability to adjust to life in Melbourne. It's a big change for the young man. Would this have had a bearing on his draft position if he had gone through the regular channels? If he had gone through the regular channels and played football in either one of the state leagues or even the TAC Cup, he would have already shown an ability to adjust to life in the city, so maybe it wouldn't have influenced his draft position all that much.

But even still, I think you're right to suggest his background may have had some recruiters second guessing themselves and worries about his ability to adjust to city life would have likely impacted his draft position.

It seems however he is adjusting just fine which is great news.

Either way, where he may or may not have been drafted is playful speculation. We've got him, and we can all agree that it is very exciting to consider his potential.

Mate, I agree with you. Around pick 20 sounds about right. Late first round, early second.

As for clubs being cautious about using high draft picks to draft indigenous talent, there are examples that run both ways. There's no doubt been penty of hesitation over the years by club recruiters when it comes to selecting indigenous players. There was the 'gone walkabout' concern held by many.

But my point was simply that since there is now around 13% of the league being made up of indigenous players, such worries about aboriginal players adjusting to life in 'the big smoke' should be not given to much weight. Many young aboriginal players have been drafted and adjusted very well to life in the city. Clubs are now far better at dealing with such issues and have a better understanding of indigenous players. I think these concerns are generally a thing of the past.

There are however no doubt still examples of players coming from remote communities and in these cases, such as with Jurrah, there have been legitimate concerns about his ability to adjust to life in Melbourne. It's a big change for the young man. Would this have had a bearing on his draft position if he had gone through the regular channels? If he had gone through the regular channels and played football in either one of the state leagues or even the TAC Cup, he would have already shown an ability to adjust to life in the city, so maybe it wouldn't have influenced his draft position all that much.

But even still, I think you're right to suggest his background may have had some recruiters second guessing themselves and worries about his ability to adjust to city life would have likely impacted his draft position.

Either way, where he may or may not have been drafted is playful speculation. We've got him, and we can all agree that it is very exciting to consider his potential.

A good analysis. One thing is clear and that is that Collingwood were seemingly worried about his 'inability' to adjust to living in Melbourne. They therefore gave up on this prodigious talent, whereas Melbourne considered his talent too good to over look. I also know for a fact that the only reason Ben Cousins is at the Tigers is because the Dees pounced on Jurrah with the first pick in the PSD. Once Jurrah was taken, the Tigers then picked Cousins. Liam has a long way to go, but so far so good, and i reckon he's ready to rumble on the big stage. one thing you will never have to worry about with Liam, and that's stage fright. I call him 'cool hand Luke' because he never gets fazed by anything. Some might call it arrogance, but when he's on the ground, he feels like the king of his own domain. He could get picked for his first game in a grand final and simply say "OK let's do it". He also does not like watching Melbourne getting beaten, and wants to help them win games. I reckon it's about time to unleash the Warlpiri Warrior.

Yes fair call, I just cannot wait for his first game. Looks as though it will be a few weeks away assuming he keeps his form up.

Jurrah on form alone should be a walk up start for the Bombers game after the thrashing we got from the Pies

Caseys forward line was better than Melbournes last week

The descriptions of Jurrah as a tall forward Aaron Davey not only have me excited, but they all make me refelct a little -

I had the priviledge of seeing Aaron Davey's first game for Melbourne, in the then Wizard Cup, up close and personal at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

He did a few nice things, a couple of tastes of the great high speed tackling, and then... there was a piece of play that will remain etched in my memory.

Ball was just crossing the 50m arc, coming to group amongst a tangle of players. Davey just bolted into it at breathtaking speed, almost scary in so much congestion, it was like he'd been invisible two seconds earlier. At full tilt he slammed into the guy with the ball, it spilled with a barely legit and completely powerless handball, another opposition player gathers it, handballs it off quickly, but Davey is there with another fantastic tackle, this time gathers the ball himself, puts a couple of steps between himself and anyone chasing, and sends it on to the top of the square.

I don't even remember the opponent, or even what happened next, I just remember the sheer elation of seeing such a great bit of play from such a new player.

Quietly I'm hoping that Jurrah will play his first game up in Canberra, get to meet a few politicians and put Yuendumu on their radar, and give me another 'moment' to remember for years and years, leaning against the fence and letting him know how good it was!

I remember that game. I'm pretty sure we played the Kangas. I remember Davey bursting through and kicking a nice goal. Not all that superb, just a little taste of what was to come. If Jurrah is in Aaron's calibre, I'll be very happy.

I think the misconception and labelling of certain groups in the community is a case of naive stereotyping by supporters.

I think Liam Jurrah is a great story and I hope he can make it in AFL and its a positive experience in his life.

However, I still think there is a lot more development to be done with Jurrah. He does have some special talents but how do you develop and harness the wherewithall, the fitness and the attitude to apply those talents consistently in a demanding level of football, AFL.

I am always cautious with VFL performances. Not only is there a yawning gap between AFL and VFL but in the VFL is always possible for a players with one or two tricks to look good at VFL but flounder at AFL level. Jurrah has some great tricks but he is still raw in a number of ways. I hope they keep working on him.

I'd rank him as a third round pick in an AFL draft. If he makes at AFL level in the future he will be a steal as PSD # 1 (Just like Martin)

A good analysis. One thing is clear and that is that Collingwood were seemingly worried about his 'inability' to adjust to living in Melbourne. They therefore gave up on this prodigious talent, whereas Melbourne considered his talent too good to over look. I also know for a fact that the only reason Ben Cousins is at the Tigers is because the Dees pounced on Jurrah with the first pick in the PSD. Once Jurrah was taken, the Tigers then picked Cousins. Liam has a long way to go, but so far so good, and i reckon he's ready to rumble on the big stage. one thing you will never have to worry about with Liam, and that's stage fright. I call him 'cool hand Luke' because he never gets fazed by anything. Some might call it arrogance, but when he's on the ground, he feels like the king of his own domain. He could get picked for his first game in a grand final and simply say "OK let's do it". He also does not like watching Melbourne getting beaten, and wants to help them win games. I reckon it's about time to unleash the Warlpiri Warrior.

Oh you're such a tease RB!! Keep talking though, it is music to our desperate forward starved, special player lacking ears!!!

I love the attitude and look forward to seeing it propel him into the side and to hold his spot then smash the daylights out of teams for years to come. Go the Warrior...

I'm not sure that this is correct. Collingwood didn't give up on Jurrah, he left Melbourne due to an illness back home and he was always going to get drafted by someone, North were very keen as well.

Also the tiggers actually agreed to drafting Cousins before the psd occurred but Melbourne didn't announce who the'd pick until they had their selection.

I agree that he's ready to play though and I'm actually more excited by him than any other draftee from last year.

I'm not sure that this is correct. Collingwood didn't give up on Jurrah, he left Melbourne due to an illness back home and he was always going to get drafted by someone, North were very keen as well.

Also the tiggers actually agreed to drafting Cousins before the psd occurred but Melbourne didn't announce who the'd pick until they had their selection.

I agree that he's ready to play though and I'm actually more excited by him than any other draftee from last year.

I guess it's all semantics mate, but believe me Collingwood lost interest in him because they did not think he would be able to commit to living in Melbourne. That's why he was not even registered for the national draft. Even after he returned home, Collingwood would have ensured he was properly registered if they still wanted him. At the end of the day, with all their money and resources, collingwood found the whole thing too hard to cope with, so they gave up on him. It was only the intervention of a few close friends who persuaded the AFL, with letters faxes and phone calls, to allow Liam's name to go into the PSD, despite him not having been in the national draft. On the friday before the PSD, North flew LJ down for a training session at Arden street. In attendance, at the far end of the ground, were the Richmond recruiters watching and filming his every move. The next day he flew back to the NT and kicked another 5 goals for Nightcliff in Darwin. At that game was the Dees recruiter, Bary Prentergast, plus Gary Buckenara from the Hawks. Come the day of the PSD there were at least 5 clubs circling to pick LJ. The Dees ended the matter by picking him with the first pick. The rest is history. He hasn't made it yet, by a long shot, but boy oh boy he's come along way in a short space of time. He must be getting very close to his first game. Contrary to some other opinions, I predict LJ will play better at AFL rather than VFL level. Only time will tell.

north were not interested in him after he trained with them, that is a fact. They were concerned about his dedication to the game for instance all he wanted to eat was pasties and was not intrested in having a proper diet, he was late to training one of the days he was there, they were not willing to take the punt. It seems like, with Aaron Davey, the kangas have taken the extremely conservative route which will backfire again.

north were not interested in him after he trained with them, that is a fact. They were concerned about his dedication to the game for instance all he wanted to eat was pasties and was not intrested in having a proper diet, he was late to training one of the days he was there, they were not willing to take the punt. It seems like, with Aaron Davey, the kangas have taken the extremely conservative route which will backfire again.

He was only flown down for one training session and I took him there. He was early, not late.

I think the misconception and labelling of certain groups in the community is a case of naive stereotyping by supporters.

I think Liam Jurrah is a great story and I hope he can make it in AFL and its a positive experience in his life.

However, I still think there is a lot more development to be done with Jurrah. He does have some special talents but how do you develop and harness the wherewithall, the fitness and the attitude to apply those talents consistently in a demanding level of football, AFL.

I am always cautious with VFL performances. Not only is there a yawning gap between AFL and VFL but in the VFL is always possible for a players with one or two tricks to look good at VFL but flounder at AFL level. Jurrah has some great tricks but he is still raw in a number of ways. I hope they keep working on him.

I'd rank him as a third round pick in an AFL draft. If he makes at AFL level in the future he will be a steal as PSD # 1 (Just like Martin)

To suggest that recruiters are often wary of indigenous talent is spot on and isn't "naive stereotyping" by supporters. To suggest otherwise is naive.

To call jurrah's obvious talents "great tricks" shows a complete lack of understanding of football ability and I'm surprised you labelled his obvious skill as tricks. His kicking is sublime, he has a great mark, is quick, can pinpoint a handball and tackles like a demon. hardly tricks.

had he played TAC football and developed this talent and his body sooner I'd be very surprised if he made it to the 3rd round. Rioli was pick 12.

I think you should watch him play again before judging him so poorly.

Not that he needs the affirmation of validity but you can take everything RudeBoy says on here as absolute gospel - he is very close to Liam. Those of us here close to Liam who live in Yuendumu, and are part of the Yuendumu Footy Club (l am club secretary and work at www.mttheo.org where Liam was a youth mentor/leader), are extremely grateful for his (and his families) very active care, support and guidance of Liam over the last 2 years. And the Dees fans should be grateful too because l/we have no doubt Liam would not still be in Melbourne if he had not found a family with RudeBoy - before the truly excellent additional support he has now found with Aaron, Aussie and the Melbourne Footy Club (most notably Development Coach Ian Flack).

He was only flown down for one training session and I took him there. He was early, not late.

the person who said this was very high up in the north football chain, so if it is not true then it is a sad justification as to why they were not intrested in him or it could be potentially people spreading bad things about him to throw a few clubs off. Anyway you look at it it serves them right for not getting him.

Thanks for clearing that up, RudeBoy.

Like many others, I am getting mighty sick of people posting rumour as fact, simply to big-note themselves.

Strawbs, you might want to read all of RudeBoy's past posts to get an accurate history of Jurrah's remarkable journey to an AFL list.

I, for one, am warmed by pretty much every part of the Liam Jurrah story that I have heard so far.

It sounds like he comes from an amazing community and has found a great group of people who care about him, not just for his football, here in Melbourne. It's great to hear that even in an elite sport, a man's well-being is kept in mind by what seems like a great bunch of people.

Not that it means anything, but I send my thankyous and congratulations to all involved

RB, after reading your posts and japaljarri's I take back what I said earlier, my guess work about what happened came from newspaper reports, you clearly know the kid well and I'm thankfull for your contributions.

As I said earlier out of all the kids taken last year Jurrah excites me the most, and not just because of his huge potential. His story (most importantly where he's from) is very important to his culture and AFL and I'm rapt that the MFC can be part of it all.

I can confirm that to be correct that he did attend one training session. North recognised that he was talented but were not prepared to commit to the transition of LJ to the aspects surrounding footy life.

Enjoy your updates Rude Boy. Keep it up. He could be something special

To suggest that recruiters are often wary of indigenous talent is spot on and isn't "naive stereotyping" by supporters. To suggest otherwise is naive.

To call jurrah's obvious talents "great tricks" shows a complete lack of understanding of football ability and I'm surprised you labelled his obvious skill as tricks. His kicking is sublime, he has a great mark, is quick, can pinpoint a handball and tackles like a demon. hardly tricks.

had he played TAC football and developed this talent and his body sooner I'd be very surprised if he made it to the 3rd round. Rioli was pick 12.

I think you should watch him play again before judging him so poorly.

I would suggest that you deal with the facts not play to your own limited bias.

The issue is that recruiters do go beyond some of the cultural stereotypes bandied on football forums. I have read that 13% of the AFL listed footballers are of full or part indigenous origin. Against the % of indigenous people of the total population it shows a healthy interest and support for indigenous footballers.

I have already said elsewhere that Jurrah has special talents but needs to adjust to the intensity and tempo of VFL/ AFL football.

Liam is still learning the AFL game on the field and adjusting to life off it. Loads of talent. Its a matter of focussing it and harnessing it for 4 quarters. Still WIP IMO with a lot of promise.

Get over yourself.

the person who said this was very high up in the north football chain, so if it is not true then it is a sad justification as to why they were not intrested in him or it could be potentially people spreading bad things about him to throw a few clubs off. Anyway you look at it it serves them right for not getting him.

No worries mate. There's lots of smoke and mirrors at footy clubs, so it's not always easy to ascertain the facts, even when you have the ear of those who should know. Anyway, none of the past matters now. The important thing is that there is a great future for Liam with the Dees if he keeps on progressing as he is currently.

I guess it's all semantics mate, but believe me Collingwood lost interest in him because they did not think he would be able to commit to living in Melbourne. That's why he was not even registered for the national draft. Even after he returned home, Collingwood would have ensured he was properly registered if they still wanted him. At the end of the day, with all their money and resources, collingwood found the whole thing too hard to cope with, so they gave up on him. It was only the intervention of a few close friends who persuaded the AFL, with letters faxes and phone calls, to allow Liam's name to go into the PSD, despite him not having been in the national draft. On the friday before the PSD, North flew LJ down for a training session at Arden street. In attendance, at the far end of the ground, were the Richmond recruiters watching and filming his every move. The next day he flew back to the NT and kicked another 5 goals for Nightcliff in Darwin. At that game was the Dees recruiter, Bary Prentergast, plus Gary Buckenara from the Hawks. Come the day of the PSD there were at least 5 clubs circling to pick LJ. The Dees ended the matter by picking him with the first pick. The rest is history. He hasn't made it yet, by a long shot, but boy oh boy he's come along way in a short space of time. He must be getting very close to his first game. Contrary to some other opinions, I predict LJ will play better at AFL rather than VFL level. Only time will tell.

Thanks RudeBoy, once again. I think you might be right with your prediction. I also think he's very close to his first game and I can't wait for him to debut in the Red & Blue!

This was mentioned on D'Ology and I think it has some credibility as a thought:

With all of Essendon's indigenous boys, the Dees could make it a special night by recalling Bennell and Jetta, and giving Jurrah his debut.

I understand the desire not to 'give' games to players but I believe all three could claim to improve the selected side (not that difficult after Monday I guess).

We could use some speed across the middle - Bennell, and some speed up forward - Jurrah and Jetta.

Jones, PJ, Maric, and Bell out for the three boys and Miller.

Let's showcase some young talent on Friday Night Football...

Welcome, Rudeboy, It's nice to have some posters close to the clinches.