• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Other Venues

MadAsHell

I'd go there... Parking isn't great, public transport is okay, there's heaps of trams that run up royal parade. And it's only 700 metres walk from Royal Park station. With extra services to accommodate the match, public transport isn't hard.

Looking at the situation from purely a financial stand point, do we rather play Fremantle at the G and get 18k there and make a loss? Or 12k at Princes Park and make a profit? That's the sort of question we would be looking at, with a clean stadium we could make a tidy profit at Princes Park, even with a crowd significantly smaller than what we'd attract at the G...

The problem with this scenario is that you disenfranchise 6000 people who no longer go to watch the club. These small crowds cause several problems, 1. Make the club less attractive to sponsors. 2. Less people attend and thus less merchandise is sold. 3. They make it harder to sell memberships as plenty of Demon supporters don't want to go to Visy. 4. It's Carlton's home, need I say more!

However why can't the MCC/MFC close the top deck of the MCG at such games and then allow our supporters on the ground for a kick at the end. There's enough money in football for the club to be compensated for these small drawing games. When our form improves we should be able to comfortably attract 25 - 30,000 people to games against the interstate clubs, except Gold Coast and West Sydney. Stick to the MCG, spreading our home games around further weakens the club.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the!!!, AFL get your act together, MCC give the MFC a fair go, you are part of the same team for crying out loud.

We should never ever give in. All home games at the MCG, we deserve respect, bloody eddiewood wont even have a clash jumper, the AFL just wimper at the sight of Eddie at times.

We are over 150 years old, give us the respect we deserve.

We are Melbourne!

What the!!!, AFL get your act together, MCC give the MFC a fair go, you are part of the same team for crying out loud.

We should never ever give in. All home games at the MGC, we deserve respect, bloody eddiewood wont even have a clash jumper, the AFL just wimper at the sight of Eddie at times.

We are over 150 years old, give us the respect we deserve.

We are Melbourne!

Love the passion and I'd love it if we could play all 11 of our home games at the G. The only question is can we? This year we've made some steps in the right direction with sponsors, aliance with MCC, playing performance, members and players. Lets hope we can keep this up and become a force on and off the field in the coming years.

Love the passion and I'd love it if we could play all 11 of our home games at the G. The only question is can we? This year we've made some steps in the right direction with sponsors, aliance with MCC, playing performance, members and players. Lets hope we can keep this up and become a force on and off the field in the coming years.

WE CAN BE A FORCE!

Almost 31,00 members, the best ever, with a depressed economy, and likely to finish last.

New sponsors, for at least the next 3 years.

Possibly the best up and coming back line we have had, ever!

Kids yet to prove themselves, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Grimes and so on and so on.

Possibly the most passionate president, Jimmy. Working on burying the hatchet between past presidents, for a stronger united front.

We will be great!

Do up Casey all you want, but the fact remains no games will be played there until 2025 when the current contract with the Docklands runs out. As part of the clause no NEW stadiums can be developed in order to host AFL games.

As Princess Park was being used as an AFL ground when the Docklands agreement came to play it is not considered a new ground, therefore can still be used without any contractual ramifications.

In short, yes, I would go to Princess park

The Docklands administrators don't want competition - that's why the clause is in the contract.

So, would Collo want a third stadium developed at:

* Princes Park, which is just a few kms away

OR

* at Casey Fields, which is about 50 km away.

If he can't object to Princes Park because it enjoys existing stadium status, and he's given a choice to substitute an unproven, relatively distant, venue instead of Princes Park being used, I would expect he would allow the substitution.

That makes Casey Fields a quite likely proposition.

Princes Park would probably be the most likely option, although I think it would need huge re-development to be the 3rd Melbourne venue, due to more games other than Carlton home games having to be played there. I still like the new stadium idea, but not something with a capacity of 30,000ish. I'd much prefer another stadium of 55,000, around the Dome mark. I liked the idea of building it on that land that's next to North Melbourne station.

Princes Park would probably be the most likely option, although I think it would need huge re-development to be the 3rd Melbourne venue, due to more games other than Carlton home games having to be played there. I still like the new stadium idea, but not something with a capacity of 30,000ish. I'd much prefer another stadium of 55,000, around the Dome mark. I liked the idea of building it on that land that's next to North Melbourne station.

We don't need, and can't afford, another $300-$400 million stadium seating 50,000 people.

In 2008:

• the MCG hosted:

o 39 AFL H&A matches with a minimum crowd of 27,000 and an average crowd of 54,154

o 7 others with a maximum crowd of 25,000 where the average crowd was 21,777

• TD hosted:

o 43 matches with a minimum crowd of 27,000 and an average crowd of 54,154

o 3 others with a maximum crowd of 25,000 where the average crowd was 21,777.

Other than 2 matches of MFC v NM, each of the 10 “others” involved a low-drawing interstate team coupled with a low drawing Melbourne team (except for Richmond in one case, which may be explained by weather [max of 14 degrees in Melbourne & coldest minimum on record for August for Mt Buller]. There were also 6 other matches played interstate which were Melbourne teams home games (3 of NM’s at Gold Coast, 2 at Manuka and 1 at TIO) which would be attracted to a low capacity 3rd stadium in Melbourne. This does not include 4 Hawthorn matches at Aurora Stadium or 8 Geelong matches at Skilled Stadium.

So, 16 matches with very poor crowds does not justify building a stadium of 50,000 capacity at Docklands (or 40,000 which is the current suggestion). It should be smaller and at Casey Fields, and funded by a small proportion of what would have otherwise funded the 40,000 or 50,000 seat stadium (ie the Government’s profits from the E Gate development at Docklands near the North Melbourne station).

Guest melbman

I'd like to see the state gov step in somehow on behalf of the millions in the eastern suburbs and under the "Greater Public Interest and the Greater Good Of Our Great Game" jam the current stadium limitation agreement that far up ...... ahem

sorry, I got carried away there

As a kid I weekly traveled for hours to Princess Park, Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Western Oval, Kardinia Park and of course the MCG. Call me selfish but nowaydays if it aint at the MCG I won't be going. I've done way more than my share of travelling.

VFL park was 15 mins away for me and in memory of enjoying a local ground I'll support the development of Casey anyday as it suits me fine. 34-40 mins by car suits me just fine and dandy

The MCC could even spread its wings there which could satisfy its stadium agreement with the Dees and others (Casey council might have something to say about that though :lol: )

Supporters that refused to go Princes Park in the past and to Docklands in the present are weak.

Makes me sick in the guts when I go to a game at Etihad and we have like 950 Melbourne supporters V's 20,000 Dogs or North fans.

It also mad me sick in the guts when Melbourne pulled 9,000 to a game V's West Coast in 2002 at Princes Park to what was then a certain win. People were more concerned with sticking it up the AFL and the Carlton FC rather than watch their beloved Dees.

What are people's reasons for not going to these games?

Supporters that refused to go Princes Park in the past and to Docklands in the present are weak.

Makes me sick in the guts when I go to a game at Etihad and we have like 950 Melbourne supporters V's 20,000 Dogs or North fans.

Never happened Junior. It was a bad dream. Never let the facts get in the..........

What are people's reasons for not going to these games?

Princes Park and Docklands are lifeless and featureless stadiums.

We should never ever give in. All home games at the MGC, we deserve respect, ....

Almost 31,00 members, the best ever.........

I'd cut back to two fingers when you type.

Yep, it has been mentioned, but because the ground is so dilapidated it's not worth the additional costs. Its that bad even the VFL team doesn't play there.

The cost to get Vi$y up and running is much more viable, especially considering it's going through a kind of re-development at the moment.

Correct. Victoria Park is not deemed a safe or useable venue for public events. It is a public liability nightmare.

Its a good point about the Docklands deal. If that is true then playing AFL games at Casey is a pipedream. Any way Casey IMO is too far out from the CBD.

The other day in an interview Demetriou said that Western Oval is another proposition to play games because of the development out there. I would rather go there than Princess Park. Again parking is an issue but it would ensure CARLTANK did not get a cent. You can never tell with Demetriou whether he is rally serious or putting it up Collins.

why would you go to Geelong, so far away from Melbourne, yet wouldn't go to a ground just outside the melbourne CBD, and less than 6km from our traditional home ground?

same travel time, much prefer one to the other, could make an entire day of it and support a community.

same travel time, much prefer one to the other, could make an entire day of it and support a community.

I can remember when MFC put on trains to Geelong with whoever was running the train system then, and it was a great day. Not so good coming home. The one problem going to Geelong for Geelong games was seating. If that could be fixed well Geelong would be a good option. It all depends on the return for the club. That is the main priority. As far as the MCG goes there have been games where the MCG has closed off certain areas of the ground so there is a precedent for this to happen. Though would Demetriou be happy for more games at the MCG?

Listen, if the MFC ever want to play a game in Wangaratta, they will play on the best surface in country Victoria, ground the size of the MCG, 10k people will turn up, and the club can pocket the whole take. 200 Grand!

Play it at Casey Fields, get 20,000 and pocket even more.

PLUS, it embraces the community even more that the club is wooing, and where its long term membership growth can be generated from.

The other day in an interview Demetriou said that Western Oval is another proposition to play games because of the development out there. I would rather go there than Princess Park. Again parking is an issue but it would ensure CARLTANK did not get a cent. You can never tell with Demetriou whether he is rally serious or putting it up Collins.

So would I, stuff Pri^ces Park. I'd go to Western Oval &/or Vic Park in preference to Sydney Rd. Even Arden stl.

However, having another stadium in the middle of town is just a pathetic waste & financially stupid. It's allready well catered for. the city needs another smaller stadium out southeast to match the Geeelong corridor & maybe eventually one out one out north, or develope a third one in regional Seymore or Bendigo/Ballarat.

Edit: PS.. the State & Federal Govt's in conjuction with the AFL & ABC-2TV could potentially come to a party with the veiw of Regional Football. If fixtured during a long weekend/s a couple of games could be played up country whereby supporters could make a mini holiday of the long weekend. teams could adopt a region to play some 'interstate teams' games as a way of developing their regional Zone. Hawks - Launceston, Bombers - Ballarat, Tigers - Hobart,

Roos - Canberra, Dees - Casey/Bairnsdale..

So would I, stuff Pri^ces Park. I'd go to Western Oval &/or Vic Park in preference to Sydney Rd. Even Arden stl.

However, having another stadium in the middle of town is just a pathetic waste & financially stupid. It's allready well catered for. the city needs another smaller stadium out southeast to match the Geeelong corridor & maybe eventually one out one out north, or develope a third one in regional Seymore or Bendigo/Ballarat.

Edit: PS.. the State & Federal Govt's in conjuction with the AFL & ABC-2TV could potentially come to a party with the veiw of Regional Football. If fixtured during a long weekend/s a couple of games could be played up country whereby supporters could make a mini holiday of the long weekend. teams could adopt a region to play some 'interstate teams' games as a way of developing their regional Zone. Hawks - Launceston, Bombers - Ballarat, Tigers - Hobart,

Roos - Canberra, Dees - Casey/Bairnsdale..

Don't forget the provision in the Etihad Stadium contracts is there will not be a new stadium so any games moved have to be played at an existing stadium. I like the idea of a regional stadium. How far is Wangaratta!

Don't forget the provision in the Etihad Stadium contracts is there will not be a new stadium so any games moved have to be played at an existing stadium. I like the idea of a regional stadium. How far is Wangaratta!

An agreement would need be entered into between State Gov't, AFL. MCC Trust & others, but would be great for Victoria.

It's on a similar radius from Melbourne as Ballarat/Bendigo. I don't know much about Seymour if it would be a preferable location but used it to illustrate the Idea.

I went to Regional Baseball Carnivals played on long weekends when I was in my young teens.

They were great fun, & I believe that the AFL could make a TACcup - U18 carnival over a long weekend midseason finishing with an AFL game at 1.00pm on the last day of the weekend.

It would need to be located close to the Train Line so many could catch an Express V-line train back to town.

This regional Carnival could be once a year rotating yearly around the regional centres.

I think the way the stadium deal works with Docklands is that after 2014 the minimum amount of games that can be played there is reduced from 44 to 30. If an arrangement is made where a new stadium can be built it would be fantastic if Melbourne in conjunction with say St. Kilda, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs could have a 30,000 seat stadium built in either the city or inner suburbs and host 3 matches (against interstate clubs) each there. Obviously would need backing from the AFL, government and what not but could be the solution these 4 clubs are looking for.

I think the way the stadium deal works with Docklands is that after 2014 the minimum amount of games that can be played there is reduced from 44 to 30. If an arrangement is made where a new stadium can be built it would be fantastic if Melbourne in conjunction with say St. Kilda, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs could have a 30,000 seat stadium built in either the city or inner suburbs and host 3 matches (against interstate clubs) each there. Obviously would need backing from the AFL, government and what not but could be the solution these 4 clubs are looking for.

Don't want another stadium in town, just rediculous. there's allready MCG, The Dome, The Rectangular Stadium servicing other codes, & Visy Park going through major reovations. The rest of the Victorian community needs some respect shown. People who live in the middle suburbs can just as easily travel out to somewhere like Casey, as they can travelling in.

Don't want another stadium in town, just rediculous. there's allready MCG, The Dome, The Rectangular Stadium servicing other codes, & Visy Park going through major reovations. The rest of the Victorian community needs some respect shown. People who live in the middle suburbs can just as easily travel out to somewhere like Casey, as they can travelling in.

I agree Casey would work, I think if you were going to go for a suburban area the best bets would be Casey, Frankston, Dandenong or maybe even Williamstown?

WE CAN BE A FORCE!

Almost 31,00 members, the best ever, with a depressed economy, and likely to finish last.

New sponsors, for at least the next 3 years.

Possibly the best up and coming back line we have had, ever!

Kids yet to prove themselves, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Grimes and so on and so on.

Possibly the most passionate president, Jimmy. Working on burying the hatchet between past presidents, for a stronger united front.

We will be great!

WE WILL BE A FORCE!

Ok I've been doing a bit more research into Princes Park, Victoria Park and other grounds and what the best outcome could be for all clubs, in particular Melbounre, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne as far as another venue goes. Princes Park has it's issues because of parking and public transport. Because of this it is why I think the best thing for the AFL to do would be to completely rebuild Victoria Park using Westpac Stadium in Wellington New Zealand www.westpacstadium.co.nz/ as something to model the stadium off (capacity 34,500) to be ready for the start of the 2015 season when only 30 games have to be played at Docklands.

Victoria Park is on a train line, parking is an issue however is an issue easier to solve then public transport. The Saints, Roos and Bulldogs could all play half a dozen games there each and Melbourne if need be could play up to 3 games there. Also with Victoria Park being a AFL listed ground can be up and going within 5/6 years rather then waiting 16 years before a brand new stadium can be built.

Ok I've been doing a bit more research into Princes Park, Victoria Park and other grounds and what the best outcome could be for all clubs, in particular Melbounre, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne as far as another venue goes. Princes Park has it's issues because of parking and public transport. Because of this it is why I think the best thing for the AFL to do would be to completely rebuild Victoria Park using Westpac Stadium in Wellington New Zealand www.westpacstadium.co.nz/ as something to model the stadium off (capacity 34,500) to be ready for the start of the 2015 season when only 30 games have to be played at Docklands.

Victoria Park is on a train line, parking is an issue however is an issue easier to solve then public transport. The Saints, Roos and Bulldogs could all play half a dozen games there each and Melbourne if need be could play up to 3 games there. Also with Victoria Park being a AFL listed ground can be up and going within 5/6 years rather then waiting 16 years before a brand new stadium can be built.

Wouldn't that be funny - VP as an AFL venue, but insufficent capacity for Collingwood to be able to play matches there.