• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What was worse today

Yencks

Dissapointment  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Certainly the crowd was disappointing.

I drove up from the peninsula to be at the game. The southern end of the peninsula was diabolical and I have to say, it took quite a bit of self motivation to make the trip. Having arrived at the 'G, things did not look much better......but to me, things only got worse.

As was said on the Morning Glory on SEN this morning, Melbourne played an 18 player flood, at least for 3 quarters. I know we have a young and inexperienced team, that we have to be patient with. I have no beef with that, but if you want to play a stacked zone defence and short game, then you have to have the players with the skill to cope with the precision football needed to find targets in that situation. I have read some postings that have said " we only got beaten by 3 goals, but in that weather and under the circumstances of the flooded defence, I think the final margin flattered us in actual fact.

I will say it again, if we do not have a discernible attacking game plan and simply rely on pinch hitting when it comes to scoring, then we run the risk damaging the already fragile confidence of the young blokes. Turnovers killed us, yet again today.

Accepting the weather and the time slot, we will continue to get small crowds against interstate sides, while we choose to serve up crap like that. Again, while I accept that we are re-building, we have players on our list who should know and do better.

Yesterday's performance in no way earns the respect of the footy public. Let's be brutally honest here, we are happy to make excuses, but if we want to play in this competition, then at least lets not make ourselves a laughing stock.

As happy with the backline as I am, our midlfielders are 2nd tier at best (including McLean and Beamer). Cale Morton seems as soft as butter, despite his virtual full season last year and our ball skills, including from our more experienced players are sub-standard. To me, that comes from a lack of confidence, not only individually, but in each other.

What is the game plan and where is it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This says a lot about Melbourne supporters.

The team puts up one of the most pathetic displays of football in recent years, managing just four goals for an entire game and still use defensive tactics and yet the supporters are more worried about the crowd numbers on a freezing cold Sunday afternoon/evening.

FFS.

Yes because we can see light at the end of the tunnel and hope for our team (and yes we only kicked 4 goals, but the opposition only kicked 7, so let's not take things out of context!)

There is no hope when it comes to Melbourne supporters. They always have and always will be soft.

I'm sick of going to games and feeling like I'm at the G' by myself. The weather was not that bad yesterday, in fact, it didn't rain and the wind was moderate. Yet people chose to stay indoors, where it's warm and comfortable. Say what you like about Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton, but at least their supporters TURN UP TO GAMES.

[censored] timeslot or not, to get less than 15,000 to a game is diabolical and it costs us dearly. Sure the draw is once again horribly skewed against us, but instead of turning a bad situation into a manageable one, we just make it worse for the club (which makes it worse for ourselves) by not showing up.

yep..tend to agree CB

Folks ought to be more concerned with how a team is developing , playing, building etc than whether or not some loke or other wants/can attend a game.

Im more concerned as to why a team of supposedly professional and skilled athletes cant find the goals for asking !!

I can see development in the team. But in 10 years of being a Melbourne member I am yet to witness development in the attitude of supporters, and their willingness to attend games despite circumstance.

The team puts up one of the most pathetic displays of football in recent years, managing just four goals for an entire game and still use defensive tactics and yet the supporters are more worried about the crowd numbers on a freezing cold Sunday afternoon/evening.

FFS.

We can't control how the team plays, we can only cheer as loud as possible to let them know where there for them. But crowd numbers we can control, if our supporters are able to brave the cold for just a few hours. For crying out loud just put on a few layers and make some hot chocolate in a thermo.

Dear Nugget Jones

You wrote "NO Excuses".

You may not have other commitments in your life but many others do. Sunday 4.40 is not a good timeslot. It's not easy to bring the kids, especailly if travelling from the country. Many people have other commitments at that time (as I did - a long planned family event). And if it's live on TV and freezing cold, why would you take the family and risk a week of sick kids at home with colds?

There are always excuses, otherwise our crowds would ALWAYS exceed 35,000. 30,000 members plus whoever else shows up.

I think they are all reasonable excuses. I would have loved to be there but couldn't.

I actually believe adelaide had much of the blame for the 1st half. Just about every time they won the ball on half back they chipped backwards to setup an 18 man zone. Then player like rutten and the other bloke who due to his action outside the game deservese no mention played keeping off. Just a shame we could not finish otherwise I really thought we were nearly a 5 goal better team then the crows today!

Not sure why we are concerned about 14.5k turning up as this was apart of the payout we recieved from the MCC/AFL this year.

All up I went away from the game quite happy with the loss (15 to go), and 10 or 12 MFC players clearly as good or better then their crow opponents. Bennell had his best game for the club and our midfield continues to improve. Our backline was great, frawley also had his best game and is starting to look like a snr player.

Poor effort.

Get real !!

the joke isnt that that only 15000 odd turned up..its that is was ever going to much different given the game.. Melb v interstater.. given it was at the arse end ot the weekend..given it was attocious weather.

The joke is that any have the temerity to call into question the colours of supporters. What sort of primitive neanderthal existence to some have that the only thing in their lives is attending a football game.

I was young once.. I attended everything where red and blue existed.. I had nothingn more in life to look forward to in so much as that was my only interest. strangely as you get older na dfamilies come along and work is fragile and money is called upon to go further and there are other priorities then some folk will ..WILL...decide there are other things with more importance than freezing your arse off watching Circ de Solace !! into the twilight hours.

I love the footy.. have had red and lue lood in my veins since it ever mattered..and always will. But like a lot of other people there is more to life.

Dont have a go at crowd numbers but by all means lobby for better scheduling.

The club has my money.. and I buy silly stuff too. If I or others choose to go or not go that is only the business and concern of those alone.

Again..as CB submits..Id be more worried over what the MFC deliverd as footy yesterday

FFS.

I disagree.

Yes, the team was pathetic for a lot of the game. However, because of our disgustingly unloyal fans, we have to pay money to play.

Morevorer, regardless of the atmosphere, it gives the umpires a chance to run all over you because there is barely a wimper when a shithouse decision is made.

I'm one of those people that thinks a crowd can influence games. If we are not there to support our players when they need us more than they EVER have, it is a real worry. We havent had a crowd that low for a long time at the MCG.

Twighlight is not enough of an excuse. It is easy to sit back and blame the AFL and yes, I am [censored] off with the draw, but getting less than 15K to a game is disgusting.

Belief starts with the fans. We need to rally behind the players and show them our support so they care. Without fans, the team won't be able to reach the heights it deserves.

i disagree.

whilst the team was pathetic for most of the game, because of our disgustingly unloyal fans, we have to pay money to play. what is worse is that it gives the umpires a chance to run all over you because there is barely a wimper when a shithouse decision is made. i'm one of those people that thinks a crowd can influence games and if we are not there to support our players when they need us more than they ever have in 150 years than it is a real worry. we havent had a crowd that low for a long time at the MCG.

the club has my money whether I turn up or not.. the argument of crowd numbers versus profitaility is not as clear cut as some might assume.

Umpires are always changing their minds for the crowd arent they !! lol.. :rolleyes:

i disagree.

whilst the team was pathetic for most of the game, because of our disgustingly unloyal fans, we have to pay money to play. what is worse is that it gives the umpires a chance to run all over you because there is barely a wimper when a shithouse decision is made. i'm one of those people that thinks a crowd can influence games and if we are not there to support our players when they need us more than they ever have in 150 years than it is a real worry. we havent had a crowd that low for a long time at the MCG.

In a game like that, a packed stadium full of one-eyed Melbourne fans wouldn't have made one iota of difference. The only way that the fans could have helped is if they ran into the forward line to provide an option or man-up the loose Adelaide players.

Dear Nugget Jones

You wrote "NO Excuses".

You may not have other commitments in your life but many others do. Sunday 4.40 is not a good timeslot. It's not easy to bring the kids, especailly if travelling from the country. Many people have other commitments at that time (as I did - a long planned family event). And if it's live on TV and freezing cold, why would you take the family and risk a week of sick kids at home with colds?

There are always excuses, otherwise our crowds would ALWAYS exceed 35,000. 30,000 members plus whoever else shows up.

I think they are all reasonable excuses. I would have loved to be there but couldn't.

Totally agree.

the club has my money whether I turn up or not.. the argument of crowd numbers versus profitaility is not as clear cut as some might assume.

Umpires are always changing their minds for the crowd arent they !! lol.. :rolleyes:

Total free kicks - Anzac Day: 24

Total free kicks - Melbourne v Adelaide: 42

(and I know this is a different game and crowd possibly was not a factor, I just think it is an interesting stat)

However, I honestly believe that when there is more at stake, the umpires will not be as "trigger happy." Without the crowd there to yell "ball!!!" etc, the umpires will not feel an emotional attachment to the game. They are not stupid, but there is a lot more subjectivity IMO than people think when it comes to umpiring.

Futhermore, I believe that nothing can spur on a team as much as a good solid crowd behind them. After the Freo and Brissy games (19,000 and 23,000) everyone commented on the volume of the crowd (including the players). It is time to start believing in our team and it is time to show not only the players the support of rocking up, but also Jim Stynes and all of the volunteers that work their arse off to try to keep this club up and running.

"the club has my money whether I turn up or not.. the argument of crowd numbers versus profitaility is not as clear cut as some might assume."

I would've thought that things such as food and drink revenue would come into place which is effected by crowd numbers, regardless of whether you "have already paid for the game.'

-----

I do understand that football is not the most important thing in life BB, and like you said, people have families and work and things that come first. However, there are some people (a lot of people) that just couldn't be arsed to go to the game, and that is what is dissapointing.

Dear Nugget Jones

You wrote "NO Excuses".

You are right. I should not have said "No excuses." Unlike most people here, I am not afraid to admit that that was a bad thing to say. Regardless, as I mentioned above, I am not dissapointed in these people, I am dissapointed in the people that could have gone, that had no propr commitments, that had people to sit with, that aren't struggling financially and emotionally, that just couldn't be arsed to go.

Yes because we can see light at the end of the tunnel and hope for our team (and yes we only kicked 4 goals, but the opposition only kicked 7, so let's not take things out of context!)

There is no hope when it comes to Melbourne supporters. They always have and always will be soft.

I'm sick of going to games and feeling like I'm at the G' by myself. The weather was not that bad yesterday, in fact, it didn't rain and the wind was moderate. Yet people chose to stay indoors, where it's warm and comfortable. Say what you like about Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton, but at least their supporters TURN UP TO GAMES.

[censored] timeslot or not, to get less than 15,000 to a game is diabolical and it costs us dearly. Sure the draw is once again horribly skewed against us, but instead of turning a bad situation into a manageable one, we just make it worse for the club (which makes it worse for ourselves) by not showing up.

I can see development in the team. But in 10 years of being a Melbourne member I am yet to witness development in the attitude of supporters, and their willingness to attend games despite circumstance.

Totally agree, except that I thought we were getting better.

As an example, look at the crowd prediction threads...In pretty much everysingle game, the majority of people on Demonland have expected bigger crowds than the ones that have rocked up... In fact, most people on this thead have been predicting bigger crowds. Surely you are just a little embaressed to support a club that can only find 14,000 fans to rock up to the G at a time when our off field state is at its very worse.

where exactly is the law that says one MUST go to the footy.. we go there..or anywhere by choice..that choice is drawn from many considerations

In a game like that, a packed stadium full of one-eyed Melbourne fans wouldn't have made one iota of difference. The only way that the fans could have helped is if they ran into the forward line to provide an option or man-up the loose Adelaide players.

I really disagree with you here. The crowd can definately spur on a team. Maybe if it isn't in just one match, but belief in our players is very important, especially then they are young and struggling. Coaches talk about trying to have an immediate impact, "to quiten the oppoision supporters." Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming we would have won with a bigger crowd, but I believe, especially over the season, the crowd can have a huge influence over a team.

Look at the FoxSports description of the game. "In a dull contest..." A contest isn't nearly as dull if there is a strong passionate crowd. I don't want my team to be playing on a dull stage in front of a dull crowd.

I really disagree with you here. The crowd can definately spur on a team. Maybe if it isn't in just one match, but belief in our players is very important, especially then they are young and struggling. Coaches talk about trying to have an immediate impact, "to quiten the oppoision supporters." Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming we would have won with a bigger crowd, but I believe, especially over the season, the crowd can have a huge influence over a team.

Look at the FoxSports description of the game. "In a dull contest..." A contest isn't nearly as dull if there is a strong passionate crowd. I don't want my team to be playing on a dull stage in front of a dull crowd.

Yes the crowd can help, but that wasn't Melbourne's problem yesterday. Like I said, unless the crowd jumped the fence and played one-on-one football it wouldn't have fixed Melbourne's problems.

where exactly is the law that says one MUST go to the footy.. we go there..or anywhere by choice..that choice is drawn from many considerations

Please don't start making statements like this. I have agreed in previous posts that I was a bit too harsh on this issue. Of course there are many considerations to take into place. Of course, there are MANY things that take priority.

HOWEVER, I really do think that it is dissapointing when people that call themselves die hard Melbourne supporters, and make the choice of NOT going to the football due to them believing that the cost of them going, is greater than simply being able to laze around.

Yes, it is understandable for a lot of people not to go for various reasons. But some people, and their excuses (or lack of) for not going, dissapoint me, because I would have thought that their passion for the Melbourne football club is greater than their reason for not going.

We do have a lot of of fairweather supporters, and it is these that I wish would have more passion. I suppose it is nigh on impossible to affect these people.

On a side note, I heard on the radio them joking about the fact that we get 14,000 to the G on the same day that Victroria has its first real snow fall for the year.

We can't get rid of these steretypes unless we flock in numbers..

3 things affected the attendance and in no particular order:

1. The appalling weather.

2. The time of the game, given it was the last of big weekend of footy in Melbourne.

3. An overriding expectation that we would lose. And we certainly did not let anybody down there.

Those 3 things combined led to a crowd which was so low. Even the Hawks 25,000 cats and dogs members would not have turned up in those circumstnaces :lol:

No law in place. But if we want to change the perception that the MFC supporters are all snow bound, front running, range rover driving, leather patch wearing toffs then "members" need to do more than just buy a membership ticket and say the club has my money.

We have nearly 30,000 members, add another 15,000 MCC members who are MFC supporters and we have a potential supporter base of 45,000 plus the other casual supporters that turn up now and then but don't have a membership ticket. So let's say 50,000 in total is our supporter base. Allowing for the 4,000 Crow suupporters that turned up last night then 20% of our "supporter base" (10,000) turned up and that in anyones language that is pathetic!

Yes the game scheduling was crap, the weather threatened to be crap and certainly the football standard was crap! But we as a club are just hanging in there. We are headed for back to back wooden spoons and still have a fair amount of debt to clear. For players looking to move clubs we are not a club of choice - there are several recent examples of that. Things have to change at all levels of the club and I think on field this will happen slowly and off field Jimmy has got us heading in the right direction.

But as members and supporters we also need to honour our committment to support the club at every opportunity and the best way to do that is to TURN UP!

Of course, some members live a long way away and you can't blame them for not coming on a Sunday night and others will have other things to do from time to time. But its just too bloody convenient to keep blaming the AFL scheduling or the weather or whatever for the poor crowds. If we are going to change the perception that other clubs and supporters have of us the we, as members, need to do our part and TURN UP!

If even 50% of our supporter base bothered to TURN UP instead of 20% we would have had 25,000 plus 4,000 Crow supporters and the media would be congratulating the MFC supporters for coming out on such a horrid night!

I was there with three of my kids, nearly got thrown out mind you for accidentally nearly hitting the boundary umpire throwing the ball back over the fence which was a bit embarassing. :blink:

Yeah man.........you were stiff. You should have kept the footy. No way those two fat bozos could have kept up with you!!! :)

Of course, some members live a long way away and you can't blame them for not coming on a Sunday night and others will have other things to do from time to time. But its just too bloody convenient to keep blaming the AFL scheduling or the weather or whatever for the poor crowds. If we are going to change the perception that other clubs and supporters have of us the we, as members, need to do our part and TURN UP!

EXACTLY!! We sit back and blame everyone else but ourselves and think of excuses to make us feel better. Like, "geelong only got 15,000 to their game." Not condoning their supporters, but they can get away with it. We can't. In terms of numbers alone, they would have made a profit. We wouldn't have made a profit.

The crowd yesterday weren`t actually quiet, they were actually pretty loud and got into it, It`s just the gate loss we are worried about, and also respect to. For 14,129, they were actually pretty passionate It`s just we need It bigger. I think Melbourne should aim for crowds from about 30,000-35,000 against interstate teams at the G.