What should a team expect from its highest paid player?

Yze_Magic

Winning the b&f last year meant nothing.

You are as bigger fool!!!

To me last years B & F meant nothing because it was rewarding statistics not overall influence on a game ALA Brad Green who was widely regarded as robbed. Brad might have averaged two less possessions then Bruce in 2008 but his impact on most games was far superior. I have nothing personal against Cameron Bruce but my opinion is that of a supporter that watches every minute of every Melbourne game whether it be in attendance or on television. The question is, does Bruce's current output warrant selection week in week out? To me, it doesn't.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfft.

Someone gives you a name, and you say they dont fit the criteria.

Green is twice the player Bruce is, and always has been.

And you continue to be clueless.

ANKLES you really are a tweep!!!

Really search and come up with a creditable answer??

You TELL everyone you are the expert regularly.

PROVE IT and give that creditable answer or SHUT UP!!!!!

The challenge is still there .

10 years.

Played regularly all over the ground.

Won a club B& F.

Name a player???

I think that is it Swampfox. We lack a genuine star and because Cam WAS that star up until the Guerra tackle he is the target of some supporters when both he and the team underperforms. He had just made the step up to the elite level in 2005 when his confidence was leeched by the shocking Guerra tackle. Such a shame.

To me last years B & F meant nothing because it was rewarding statistics not overall influence on a game ALA Brad Green who was widely regarded as robbed. Brad might have averaged two less possessions then Bruce in 2008 but his impact on most games was far superior. I have nothing personal against Cameron Bruce but my opinion is that of a supporter that watches every minute of every Melbourne game whether it be in attendance or on television. The question is, does Bruce's current output warrant selection week in week out? To me, it doesn't.

So what you are saying is the whole Match committeee got it wrong last year!!

You in your infamite wisdom should have decided , without knowing the roles given to the players , who performed them better.

All your answer does is show how pathetic your response was!!

Has not been in the top 10 for the 10 years!!!

Great player but that was not the question.

If you're going to get technical, then... neither has Bruce. Both are considered top 10 players at the club, and have been for some time, but neither has finished in the top 10 every year since they debuted.

Bruce 189 games, 198 goals - Barely scraped into the top 10 in 2005, 2007. Runner up in 2002. Won it in 2008. Career average disposals 18.1

Green 190 games, 236 goals - Has finished in the top 5 in the b&f every year since 2003/04. Should've won it in 2008. Career average disposals 16.0

Both debuted in 2000 as forward midfielder utlities. Bruce as a 20 year old, Green 18. By 2002, Bruce was playing as a full-time onballer/run-with role. Green did not make the shift from forward to midfielder permenantly until 2004.

I'd say over the years, Bruce started his career better, being used in more roles and given more freedom (whereas Green was confined to the forward 50 which hindered his development early on). Since his 2005 shoulder injury, Green has been the superior player of the two, IMHO.

To answer your question, if that wasn't enough, how about:

Pavlich

Goodes

B. Harvey

All players who've been around since pre-2000, all kicking more goals than games played, and playing in a number of different positions. These guys are considered elite. Far cry from Bruce if you ask me. Difficult task though, as there aren't too many blokes left from pre-2000. Although i'm sure there are more that i've missed, these were just off the top of my head.

Pfft.

Someone gives you a name, and you say they dont fit the criteria.

Green is twice the player Bruce is, and always has been.

And you continue to be clueless.

The criteria are there for all to see!!

Brad has not been top 10 for all those years. Great player that he is!!

ANKLES, I am sure others along with me await your research.

Not signing those footy cards when you sent the 50 of them to Bruce was his undoing!!

Missed out on flogging them on ebay really hurt!!

You know and I know that is the real reason you attack him!!

:lol::lol::lol:

If you're going to get technical, then... neither has Bruce. Both are considered top 10 players at the club, and have been for some time, but neither has finished in the top 10 every year since they debuted.

Bruce 189 games, 198 goals - Barely scraped into the top 10 in 2005, 2007. Won it in 2008. Career average disposals 18.1

Green 190 games, 236 goals - Has finished in the top 5 in the b&f every year since 2003/04. Should've won it in 2008. Career average disposals 16.0

Both debuted in 2000 as forward midfielder utlities. Bruce as a 20 year old, Green 18. By 2002, Bruce was playing as a full-time onballer/run-with role. Green did not make the shift from forward to midfielder permenantly until 2004.

I'd say over the years, Bruce started his career better, being used in more roles and given more freedom (whereas Green was confined to the forward 50 which hindered his development early on). Since his 2005 shoulder injury, Green has been the superior player of the two, IMHO.

To answer your question, if that wasn't enough, how about:

Pavlich

Goodes

B. Harvey

All players who've been around since pre-2000, all kicking more goals than games played, and playing in a number of different positions. These guys are considered elite. Far cry from Bruce if you ask me. Difficult task though, as there aren't too many blokes left from pre-2000. Although i'm sure there are more that i've missed, these were just off the top of my head.

So what you are saying is the whole Match committeee got it wrong last year!!

You in your infamite wisdom should have decided , without knowing the roles given to the players , who performed them better.

All your answer does is show how pathetic your response was!!

Wow that sentence really struggled to make any sense whatsoever. Please inform me when 'infimate' is a commonly used word in the english language.

Look pal. We are all entitled to our opinions. If you took your head out of the sand for one minute you would find that a vast majority of MFC supporters thought Brad Green was much more deserving of last years best and fairest then Cameron Bruce, not just myself. I accept that you are a big wrap for Cameron as I used to be. There is no point in arguing, I'll agree to disagree that Bruce is deserving of a spot in the 22 at present. For the record both Green and Bruce debuted in 2000 making them players of 8 years, not 10.

Realist is copping an absolute flogging here.

Infamite.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a [censored].

How often have the players mentioned REGULARLY played in Defence as was the question.

Once again you know better than the match committee for the B&F last year.

For hells sake when are these experts going to apply for the match committee jobs.

You not only denegrate a loyal player of the club but you denegrate the whole match committee of 2008.

Wow that sentence really struggled to make any sense whatsoever. Please inform me when 'infimate' is a commonly used word in the english language.

Look pal. We are all entitled to our opinions. If you took your head out of the sand for one minute you would find that a vast majority of MFC supporters thought Brad Green was much more deserving of last years best and fairest then Cameron Bruce, not just myself. I accept that you are a big wrap for Cameron as I used to be. There is no point in arguing, I'll agree to disagree that Bruce is deserving of a spot in the 22 at present. For the record both Green and Bruce debuted in 2000 making them players of 8 years, not 10.

How often have the players mentioned REGULARLY played in Defence as was the question.

For hells sake when are these experts going to apply for the match committee jobs.

You not only denegrate a loyal player of the club but you denegrate the whole match committee of 2008.

I 'denegrate' Cameron Bruce because I personally think Green had a better year? Because I have an opinion? That is the most ridiculous, ignorant post I have read on this site. Ever.

Goodes and Pavlich have played fair portions of their career in defence. Pavlich was an AA backmen once upon a time. Harvey, i accept has not, but has regulraly shifted between forward and midfield roles for many years. His height is an obvious detractor to him playing in defence, but he has more than made up for it in other parts of his performance.

As for knowing better than the match comitee, i never claimed such a thing. It's an opinion that I, and many others share, that Green was stiff last year. An opinion, to which we are all entitled to, and, that is mine.

In fact, the very reason we come on these boards is to read and share our OPINIONS and discuss them. Something yourself and Bobby McKenzie seem to have a hard time understanding... So stop trying to force your opinion on me. I accept it is different to mine, however underhanded jabs and the like are not my style, and to be totally honest, somewhat disrespectful. I don't force mine on you, as some others might, i merely try to bring as many facts to my argument as possible. If you don't wish to accept them, so be it. But don't tell me my opinion is plain wrong, nor question my passion or love for the MFC.

I await a substance filled response from you.

To those talking about the B & F last year i did think that McLean would have won it if not injured

In the end Bruce won for his consistency

Green would also have been a worthy winner

Think the team result is what we should be concentrating on

You are living in the past realist, are you trying to say Bruce deserves a spot in the MFC's starting 22 in 2009 because of feats he achieved in 2005? On current form (well current is an understatement, I'll say since 2007) he is only in the team because of his position in the leadership group and statistics that flatter him. What a farce it would be to include a player in a leadership group and drop them after 5 games, right? Obviously not going to happen. But not because he is playing well enough to guarantee him a game the following week.

Yeah, winning our Bluey in 2008 is way way back in the past isn't it? He is averaging only 26 possessions this year and when has he played a bad game? I wish a few more of our guys would put in EVERY week like Cam does. Most contested possessions as well so far this season. I can't figure out why you guys pound Bruce for every mistake he makes. He seems a decent sort of human being which is more than one can say about some of our posters here. He loves the Dees and plays his guts out for them and all you do is rubbish him. Talk about gross DISLOYALTY.

To those talking about the B & F last year i did think that McLean would have won it if not injured

In the end Bruce won for his consistency

Green would also have been a worthy winner

Think the team result is what we should be concentrating on

'Swampfox', you THINK Brock MIGHT have won our B&F, but he could have played some shockers. We will never know. Of course Green would have been a worthy winner, but he wasn't and that's that. By the way is winning because of Bruce's consistency really a bad thing? I certainly agree with your last statement however.

Fair dinkum comedy festival here. Either that or a [censored]-fest arguing over Bruce and Greens stats and football history. Both will be regarded as mfc reps who represented their club well with pride loyalty dignity and will have played over 200 games each giving 100%.

'Swampfox', you THINK Brock MIGHT have won our B&F, but he could have played some shockers. We will never know. Of course Green would have been a worthy winner, but he wasn't and that's that. By the way is winning because of Bruce's consistency really a bad thing? I certainly agree with your last statement however.

I wasnt knocking Bruce , Green or McLean and made a statement on perception based on McLeans form

We really didnt have a player who had a great season last year

Fair dinkum comedy festival here. Either that or a [censored]-fest arguing over Bruce and Greens stats and football history. Both will be regarded as mfc reps who represented their club well with pride loyalty dignity and will have played over 200 games each giving 100%.

Indeed, a most sensible comment 'High Tower'.

Finally some rational thoughts in this thread!

The only interesting thing about this thread is the talk about Bruce's versatility. For mine, he was one of the most versatile players in the competition, if not the most versatile, around 2005-2006. He would go from half-forward one week, to running with Goodes, to playing on a key forward, to the midfield, to the wing: he really played every position except ruck at some point. These days players like him are more common but he is still a very versatile and useful prospect in his ability to adapt to new roles and varied positions.

Onya Brucey, hope ya kick a bag and get 40 contested-possessions this week!