Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Could Jack Grimes win the rising star?

Neita3000

I would say NO, because he is in an awful side. But Palmer won it last year.

I would say NO, because there is a general bias/neglience against MFC players, but Rivers and Davey came 1+2 a few years back

But I would also say no because he is in the wrong position

Then he is a good chance then if he plays well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBBAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAA this is soooo funny. How many games has he played in the Home/Away season? Lets wait until ATLEAST round 2 before we make predictions like the ones in this post.

I think there are WAY too many people on this board getting a little anxious waiting for the season to start!!!

Guest petjud
BBBAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAA this is soooo funny. How many games has he played in the Home/Away season? Lets wait until ATLEAST round 2 before we make predictions like the ones in this post.

I think there are WAY too many people on this board getting a little anxious waiting for the season to start!!!

.anxious...who's anxious!!!!.......been to the AGM, the intraclub, Launceston, Visy Park, checked out the flights to Cairns, couldn't fit it in around work commitments, fretted, check Demonland, read the vitriol on Demonology, discuss every aspect of Melbourne FC with my Essendon supporting colleague who sits next to me at work (I think he is still talking to me)........not anxious at all..............still think Grimes will turn out to be a great player for the club....said it about twenty three posts ago....let's give the kids a chance and not put them down before they've started..

.anxious...who's anxious!!!!.......been to the AGM, the intraclub, Launceston, Visy Park, checked out the flights to Cairns, couldn't fit it in around work commitments, fretted, check Demonland, read the vitriol on Demonology, discuss every aspect of Melbourne FC with my Essendon supporting colleague who sits next to me at work (I think he is still talking to me)........not anxious at all..............still think Grimes will turn out to be a great player for the club....said it about twenty three posts ago....let's give the kids a chance and not put them down before they've started..

I think what the previous poster was tring to say (albeit quite abrasively) is that we should wait for Grimesy to start playing good consistent footy before putting too many expectations on him

cheers

U have the blinkers on mate, ever seen Dal Santo go 4 goal? Sh!ts himself most times. Mayb u missed Josh Hunt turnover the ball from a kick in that cost his team a goal? Has happened more than once. I agree they might b limited to an extent by they're actions, but no player is perfect, no matter how elite their kicking generally is. There's more to it then that and as the team as a whole gets better they will all look better too, u just have the 'we suck' blinkers on. Morton and Grimes will b very good kicks over the course of their careers and Morton was considered an elite kick at junior level, or can u only remember the recruiting reports of other teams players?

I never said anyone was perfect, but once again you have missed the point. PLayers like Hodge, Hunt, Dal etc..go for a lot more on their kicks. they take more risks often trying to thread the eye of a needle. Sure they will make some mistakes but a Morton mistake (missing a target that is 20 metres clear on his own, under no pressure) compared to a Hodge, Hunt mistake where the player is 55metres away, on the run, with an opponent on his tail is so much worse.

At this point in time, Morton has played 1 season of disgraceful kicking. Until he shows otherwise in a home and away season, on a regular basis then he cant be considered a good kick. And the point being on a regular basis! None of this 'remember the time when Morton hit a target against the kangaroos back in round 4?' bullcr@p.

Morton should not have missed 1 target last year, he goes for nothing on his kicks, with a massive margin for error. And jsut when you think he might actually hit a target, he kicks it into the man on the mark. Another problem of his!

The thing with the rising star is he has played more home and away games than most of his likely competitors, so its all fair in that sense.

Football.

Gee, you really set far too high standards if you're expecting any player, let alone an 18 year-old first season player to not miss any targets

Any one know what the AFL avg for effective kicks is? I'm tipping its no where near 100%. To expect a 1st year player thrown in the deepend in a insipid midfield is rubbish. There were many games last year where CM hit targets under pressure and when he had space. He also made errors like many other players around him did. Grimes, Pettard, Buckley are the big 3 for improvement this year and if Grimes can play close to 20+ games he is a big show for the rising star. He has guts and seems to find the right place to be and stands out when he gets it.

Tell that to Jim Furyk (or Lee Trevino for the oldies).

KK, thanks for putting me out of my misery. I was going to post the same thing yesterday, but couldn't recall Jim Furyk's name. His name has been racking my brain all day.

Any one know what the AFL avg for effective kicks is? I'm tipping its no where near 100%. To expect a 1st year player thrown in the deepend in a insipid midfield is rubbish. There were many games last year where CM hit targets under pressure and when he had space. He also made errors like many other players around him did. Grimes, Pettard, Buckley are the big 3 for improvement this year and if Grimes can play close to 20+ games he is a big show for the rising star. He has guts and seems to find the right place to be and stands out when he gets it.

It's not just about Morton missing targets. On 2 occasions last season he actually shanked set shots for goals when within 40 metres. Even the best kicks miss set shots, but to shank a kick (the ball skewed of his boot to the right at 45 degrees) suggests a poor kicking technique.

As previously posted, both Stewie and Robbo dramatically improved their kicking for goal, and hopefully Morton can do the same, but let's not kid ourselves into believing that he's a great kick.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
It's not just about Morton missing targets. On 2 occasions last season he actually shanked set shots for goals when within 40 metres. Even the best kicks miss set shots, but to shank a kick (the ball skewed of his boot to the right at 45 degrees) suggests a poor kicking technique.

As previously posted, both Stewie and Robbo dramatically improved their kicking for goal, and hopefully Morton can do the same, but let's not kid ourselves into believing that he's a great kick.

he shanked 2 goals, thats it lets [censored] him off to prison for 2years, :lol:

Brad Green shanked one from about 15 meters out on a slight angle on the weekend, over the years he has been a fairly handy shot at goal.

Guest petjud

This topic started off about Grimes but because the nay sayers could not get their way, the target was moved to Morton, and even Petterd and Bruce got a quick 'kicking' in passing.

If the players annoy you so much and actually spoil your enjoyment of watching the footy, why go and watch, it amazes me since I have been reading the board the number of posters who are so negative about lot's of things with MFC and yet are supporters and are looking forward to the new season.

From some of the posts I have read, out of a squad of 46 players, MFC may have about 2 that everybody thinks can actually play footy.

I am as guilty with my opinion of Newton, I don't criticise his skills, I just think he hasn't got the bottle for the hard stuff, and you need that, no matter how much the game has softened in the last thirty years.

But obviously because of the situation of the last couple of years, everybody is looking for a quick fix, and if it doesn't happen they need somebody to blame, I am only hoping that when Jack Watts makes his debut he kicks ten goals and doesn't miss a target because some of the postings in the aftermatch will not be pretty reading.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
I never said anyone was perfect, but once again you have missed the point. PLayers like Hodge, Hunt, Dal etc..go for a lot more on their kicks. they take more risks often trying to thread the eye of a needle. Sure they will make some mistakes but a Morton mistake (missing a target that is 20 metres clear on his own, under no pressure) compared to a Hodge, Hunt mistake where the player is 55metres away, on the run, with an opponent on his tail is so much worse.

At this point in time, Morton has played 1 season of disgraceful kicking. Until he shows otherwise in a home and away season, on a regular basis then he cant be considered a good kick. And the point being on a regular basis! None of this 'remember the time when Morton hit a target against the kangaroos back in round 4?' bullcr@p.

Morton should not have missed 1 target last year, he goes for nothing on his kicks, with a massive margin for error. And jsut when you think he might actually hit a target, he kicks it into the man on the mark. Another problem of his!

freak after reading that post,i declare you to be the new yze magic,why waste peoples time with that crap, i know why you do because you want a reply. :wacko: :

I agree with the assessment about those players with an unnatural kicking action always being suspect under pressure, in fact I made this point about a year ago in relation to Miller and Bruce. We must also look at those who through disciplined practice improved their accuracy. Think about Neita in the 2000 grand final. When daniher decided to make him into a forward a lot of us, including me, thought it was silly. When he first played there he waas notorious for missing set shots and this was very demoralising for the team. With enormous discipline, he ironed out aspects of his "swing" and became pretty reliable. He still fell into that school yard thing of waving around the ball in his run up and this drove me mad but he could certainly roost it a mile and became pretty accurate from different distances and angles. It didn't have the timing or grace of Hodge but he did it with strength. Miller also has certainly improved in accuracy and penetration. Jimmy had a very funny action and couldn't kick more than 40 metres but he got by. Robbo has improved enormously in both distance and accuracy.

It would seem that young Grimes is a very dedicated and serious footballer. If he is being made aware of his poor kicking (I havn't seen enough of him to judge it myself), then I suggest that he is probably working on it. As for the rising star, of course he could win it. He will have some real competition, but then they don't tend to give it to people who aren't any good.

Brad Green shanked one from about 15 meters out on a slight angle on the weekend, over the years he has been a fairly handy shot at goal.

Green is not that confident 30 - 40 metres out on his wrong side and around 45 degree angle. He is more confident on the

boundary from 50 metres out where he just roosts it and lets the ball find its own way.

But returning to Grimes. What he does have going for him is that he turns 20 in a couple of months

and is thus a year or two older than the favourites for the NAB Rising Star.

Spewing about the odds on Jack Grimes for Rising Star -- put money on him months ago and somehow his odds have gotten LONGER.

Either way, i'm hoping for a good pay day.

Out of all the candidates he's one of the few who have put in a whole AFL preseason, making him much more prepared to play all 22 rounds. Barring injury he's a damn good punt.

Doesn't matter how many rounds he plays. The Rising Star is all about potential. You could be picked in Rd 22 and still win it.

Doesn't matter how many rounds he plays. The Rising Star is all about potential. You could be picked in Rd 22 and still win it.

Very true, it is theoretically possible.

But it'll never happen that way.

.. and i'm not sure its all about potential. I think its more about the best performing young player.