Welcome to Casey Fields

Demonland

Well, considering it was such a historic day, it's a bit disappointing that we couldn't get anyone down there to report on proceedings. Still, I guess that's the low key approach the club wants to its activities.

It is a bit disappointing. What about the few people who said in another thread they were going to try to get there?

Big article about McLean in today's HS and it only rated a slight mention that we'd begun training, but there is 3 big pictures all from yesterday, one of the whole group jogging under a signing that says "Casey Fields", one of McLean handballing & another of Davey with a ball and a horrible Mo! It could be for Movember but it's only been 6 days and it's already got some thickness. Can't find the photos online though

Good to see that they're on to ball work early, before some clubs have even begun pre-season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lower drawing Vic clubs can't afford to play at the G or Telstra against the current interstate clubs let alone the 2 new ones. The place would hold upto 25,000 with only 15 - 20,000 seated on seats. This is not such a pipe dream. The AFL has already hinted at the need of a 3rd stadium. This is as likely as anywhere else. It's also a growth corridor and we all know the AFL love these. This takes 2,3 or even 4 Vic clubs getting together and realising they can have a deal silmilar to Geelong as far as raising revenue goes. Gotta be worth someone taking to the Summit next week. Although I'd say the clubs already got it in mind.

if we're playing quite well, we can get quite easily 25,000 to the G against interstate clubs

maybe more difficult against the new clubs but it's gonna upset people if we start to sell more games to away from the G (probably more than it will please)

we might still be able to make a tiny profit at the G,

and most people still think this melbourne/casey business is just plain stupid and hate the idea of us moving away from "melbourne"

i like it and most people here do, but we are only a handful of supporters, whom most of which have no idea...

Seeing that there's been no official announcement about the affiliation between the Melbourne Demons and the Casey Scorpions I will make the announcement unofficially right here and now:

The Melbourne Football Club and the Casey Scorpions wish to advise their members and supporters that they are now affiliated and will play in the VFL seniors and reserves competitions wearing predominantly red and blue colours (with a bit of white tossed in) from season 2009. The new senior coach will be Mr. Peter German and the first Scorpions training session under him will take place today.

Source - German precision comes to Melbourne

Certainly an historic occasion. We could look back in 20 years, and recall the day that MFC first set up at Casey Fields. By that stage it might be a boutique stadium, and MFC might be playing some of its home matches there.

Who was there when MFC played its first game at Casey Fields (Saturday 8 March 2008 v North Melbourne)?

Me, and I got the sunburn to prove it!!

Seeing that there's been no official announcement about the affiliation between the Melbourne Demons and the Casey Scorpions I will make the announcement unofficially right here and now:

The Melbourne Football Club and the Casey Scorpions wish to advise their members and supporters that they are now affiliated and will play in the VFL seniors and reserves competitions wearing predominantly red and blue colours (with a bit of white tossed in) from season 2009. The new senior coach will be Mr. Peter German and the first Scorpions training session under him will take place today.

Source - German precision comes to Melbourne

Interesting. Thanks Demon Head.

Interesting that German's style and Baileys style differs. They will be working close together, so I hope they will be able to pull in the same direction and be able to communicate to the fringe players what is required at VFL and senior level in terms of "style of play" required.

if we're playing quite well, we can get quite easily 25,000 to the G against interstate clubs

Yes but we make little or no money from these games, that is the problem and why Casey might become an attrective alternative

I may very well eat my words, but I firmly believe Casey will be the MFC's biggest mistake since 1980.

And MFC would pursue a sustainable geographic support base where?

And MFC would be aligned with which VFL team, now that Sandy has given it the flick?

And MFC would have a stable summer training base where?

If you think that the Casey move is the biggest mistake since 1980, I assume that you would be happy to see the club continue to slide and eventually dissolve. It can't keep going like it has for the last 10 years, let alone the last 20-30 years and hope to survive.

As Roost It asked, can you explain why you feel that way?

How sad is it that we, the club centred on the MCG, is the melbourne club forced as far out as you can be without being "regional"? the afl has been a total a**e on this. v. sad about the rot that set in when juddas rejected us. now ordinary players like c. johnson (I so admired his dad!) are able to land blows.

I may very well eat my words, but I firmly believe Casey will be the MFC's biggest mistake since 1980.

Fries with that Sir ??

What many either disregard or fail to understand ( not a fault..just observation ) is that in some aspects footy is a bit like a Car in as much as what you see is just that..its what you see. The guts and inward workings of a car..the thing that actually makes it tick invariable have nothing to do with what it looks like...save its basic shape.

I have my own understanding of the requirement to foster the return, in heart , to the G. If any team can claim it as a place of spiritual significance in this competition ; it's us !! But as to being our home now ? No The competition in its entirity has changed. From constituent teams to breaking borders to increases in players to revised times almost no aspect has remained since our glory days. Its moved on. To not do so too is to shackle yourself to a doomed and sinking ship.

Again like a car we may possibly be able to reclaim the G as part of our shroud, our cosmetic, our look but as a means of gettting the machine to work properly we need ( and again an ananlogy of the auto industry springs to mind ) to adopt new motive platforms. The clubs that will survive will be the ones ahead of trends and in positions to capitalise on emerging supporter bases.

Many need to be reminded that Casey is only PART of a strategy. Its going to be very interesting over the next few years to see how the various parties adapt and indeed adopt.

Curiously the old adage suggests you need to Go Forth to Multiply..and not stay at home.. not that we really have had..or have one ;)

Does anyone know what days Melbourne are training there this week? I think I might have to head down to have a look.

According to the City of Casey's website, MFC training starts at 8:30am on the following days at Casey Fields:

November:

Monday - 10, 24

Wednesday - 12, 19, 26

Friday - 14, 21, 28

December:

Monday - 8, 15

Wednesday - 3, 10, 17

Friday - 19

source:

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/whatsonatcasey....asp?Item=13899

Clint Bizkit The training dates are on the Casey website, however not the times. You could allways ring the club to find out the exact training times. If you want to know the dates go to www.casey.vic.gov.au and write "melbourne football club" in the search box.

Also just wanted to include the link to the Hawthorn vs Essendon game, there were only 10099 people there but it looks pretty packed to me.

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/caseyfieldspho...e.asp?Item=9644

It was quite packed, but mainly on the grandstand side. It was far thinner on the outer side.

The Scorpions are planning some spectator cover and toilets on the outer in the next few months, so the outer side will be more attractive for spectators.

You would probably get close to 20,000 at a squeeze, but a comfortable figure would be 15,000. However, there would need to be considerable car access improvements before a crowd of that size could be accommodated.

The Council website says training is at 8:30am on the days specified.

The main VFL carpark was full, but it only holds about 300 cars. There is plenty of other land at Casey Fields which was used for parking, as well as some vacant farmland nearby (but that is now having houses built on it.

Since then an area has been set aside for carparking and it can hold about 3,000 cars.

Carparking itself won’t be an issue at Casey Fields – there will be some major parking areas established throughout the site. It might require people to walk a few hundred metres, but that would be the price of a big crowd.

The biggest issue is the access. Presently there is only one access point, and it was pretty slow to get out when Hawthorn played Essendon (10,000 crowd). It was pretty easy when MFC played the Kangaroos (6,000 crowd).

In a few years there will be 3 access roads into the complex, 4 lane roads on the perimeter and traffic lights.

It was quite packed, but mainly on the grandstand side. It was far thinner on the outer side.

The Scorpions are planning some spectator cover and toilets on the outer in the next few months, so the outer side will be more attractive for spectators.

You would probably get close to 20,000 at a squeeze, but a comfortable figure would be 15,000.

I'm not sure if that'd be comfortable viewing for many - I'm sure some had a somewhat impeded view at the Dees v Kangaroos game which you suggest was less than half that crowd.

With 15K most people would be behind a fair few people in what's mostly standing room only.

I'm not sure if that'd be comfortable viewing for many - I'm sure some had a somewhat impeded view at the Dees v Kangaroos game which you suggest was less than half that crowd.

With 15K most people would be behind a fair few people in what's mostly standing room only.

There is a mound running around the ground that provides a view over the top of other patrons.

I didn't hear of any criticism about impeded view when there were over 10,000 at Hawthorn v Essendon (I did hear about delays getting cars out of the site). The people were quite densely packed on the grandstand side of the ground. Similar density on the outer side would have meant a crowd of over 15,000.

There is a mound running around the ground that provides a view over the top of other patrons.

I didn't hear of any criticism about impeded view when there were over 10,000 at Hawthorn v Essendon (I did hear about delays getting cars out of the site). The people were quite densely packed on the grandstand side of the ground. Similar density on the outer side would have meant a crowd of over 15,000.

We need some more shade out there for the late summer, early autumn games there 'casey scorp'...

A long shot but imagine this scenario.

A 15 - 20,000 seat stadium built on one side of the ground for club members at Casey. Then the rest could be a mix of grass and sealed standing areas.

Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG with 9 being home games against the better drawing Vic clubs and 3 away games which our members have reciprical rights too. Then we play 3 games against 2 interstate sides and 1 of North or Footscray. The games are billed as family days. A local high school plays in the morning, followed by the Scorpions and then the main game. During this kids are entertained and BBQ's cook snags and sell beer for the crowd. Raffles are held and the days have a bit of a carnival atmosphere. Community groups funded by the AFL and the state government are given tickets and other local groups are involved in other ways. This is not pie in the sky, this is taking footy back to where it belongs. The Community! The Family! The Kids! I would happilt get down there to be part of this.

The Saints and or North could use the ground in a similar way helping to fund it, but when there everyone would know that it's A Demons Venue, lots of red and blue. Bring it on!

Nice Roost it. As long as the beer is $2.50 a can and there is cooked onion as an optional extra with the BBQ snags it will be a success! ;)

Care to elaborate? :) I hope your hungry.

According to the City of Casey's website, MFC training starts at 8:30am on the following days at Casey Fields:

November:

Monday - 10, 24

Wednesday - 12, 19, 26

Friday - 14, 21, 28

December:

Monday - 8, 15

Wednesday - 3, 10, 17

Friday - 19

source:

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/whatsonatcasey....asp?Item=13899

Cheers Scorp. It must also be remembered the dates and times are subject to change with or without notice.

We need some more shade out there for the late summer, early autumn games there 'casey scorp'...

There was a total of $998,000 available from Council, AFL Victoria and the State Government for sheltered, tiered spectator areas on the outer side of the ground and toilets. Of this amount $350,000 has been redirected into the MFC project.

Therefore there is still $648,000 available.

There has been a delay in proceeding with the project while the MFC/Council agreement was unresolved because MFC wasn't sure whether it still wanted to commit to Casey for 30 years (until it was certain how much, if any, of the funds would head over to the other side of the oval to contribute to the MFC project it was impossible to scope the project on the outer). Now everything appears to be back on track.

Because of the delay, there's no prospect of the shade areas being completed by late Summer/early Autumn 2009.

It'll be there by 2010 though.

Cheers Scorp. It must also be remembered the dates and times are subject to change with or without notice.

I know, and it's a bit frustrating for everyone that it's not up on the MFC website. The club must have advised the Council, but it would make far more sense if it put it up on its own website (subject to change). Hopefully that will come.

And when the club does modify it, hopefully they'll pass that onto the Council so that the Council website can be updated.

Lots of hoping......