How do we get 2 Top 10 Picks?

Dee tention

I really believe we need 2 Top 10 Picks in this Draft! I have thrown up a couple of suggestions on previous blogs. No one seems too be interested though! :wacko: Consider trading Pick 1 to do this.

So what are your thoughts?

Pick 1 and a player maybe. I doubt that many clubs would be into it.

Few drafts are equal. Hawthorn has been extremely lucky.

One year later and rather than a choice of Hodge, Ball or Judd in 01 they've got a choice of Goddard, Wells or Brennan. Instead of Roughead and Franklin in 04 they could've been selecting from the 03 or 05 draft... They were fortunate.

I really believe we need 2 Top 10 Picks in this Draft! I have thrown up a couple of suggestions on previous blogs. No one seems too be interested though! :wacko: Consider trading Pick 1 to do this.

Call the afl and tell them that we played 19 on the field in the Carlton game last year. We will have the four points taken from us and record this as a loss.

Melbourne sends Nathan Jones and pick 17 to Essendon

Essendon sends Pick 5 to Melbourne

Melbourne selects Steele Sidebottom

Melbourne sends Nathan Jones and pick 17 to Essendon

Essendon sends Pick 5 to Melbourne

Melbourne selects Steele Sidebottom

I am glad somebody has a creative opinion. Nobody else does!

I like your thinking but I dont think that would be enough. I think Nathan Jones is worth a 20-30 pick in this draft at best. I think if we want Essendon's No 5. We would have to throw up an Aaron Davey and a pick 19. I dont think the Dee's would give that up.

hmmm

how would we trade pick one and a player though to get two top 10 draft picks?????- it just wouldn't happen because no club has two top 10 draft picks!

i like the sound of that essendon deal with nathan jones, but they probably wouldn't give up pick 5 for 17 and jones. maybe, problem is our club doesn't have enough balls. tj to brissy for pick 14 was a small step, yet they would've thought it was a real big move.

hmmm

how would we trade pick one and a player though to get two top 10 draft picks?????- it just wouldn't happen because no club has two top 10 draft picks!

i like the sound of that essendon deal with nathan jones, but they probably wouldn't give up pick 5 for 17 and jones. maybe, problem is our club doesn't have enough balls. tj to brissy for pick 14 was a small step, yet they would've thought it was a real big move.

You obviously weren't posting on the forum last year when it went down into meltdown with people that thought it was the end of the club... it's marvellous what one little word does to change people's perceptions (it's called hindsight).

This time every year people who have to take none of the responsibility and have none of the available information claim that the club's problems can be solved by trading players X, Y and Z for picks 5, 6, and 7. It is a forum after all and it's what it's for, it's called the bravery of being out of range.

hmmm

I have put a similiar one up before. But here is an example;

Melbourne - Pick 3, 6, 21 (also have 19 and 35)

Fremantle - Pick 1 and 17

Carlton - Robbie Warnock and possibly a Sylvia, M.Warnock, Jones, etc. Might have to swap 19 with Carlton's 24 also.

there are no guarrantee,s that the top ten players picked in this or any other draft are going to be elite players if thats what your inferring

Given the value of this years draft, few sides would be willing to cough up their first pick.

Sides willing to cough up their first pick will be old sides wanting to top up and have one last crack at the flag.

St Kilda and the swans fit that mold. The Swans have lost a few vets, and could be after a top up. They would clearly give up their first pick for Jared Rivers+ Jeff white and a late pick.

Saints would like some pace in the midfield. They would part with their first pick for Davey in a heart beat. Would they move a top pick for Chip frawley? I would think so given that their back line is getting on (good back line I might add) and they could use someone young down back. Might have to add in a late pick to get the deal done. (3rd-round)

The trade I think would actually be worth looking at is a deal with Freo and Carlton. What could we give up considering Robbie Warnock is heading to Carlton. How about Matthew Warnock? The blues are keen for a dour young defender, and Matty Warnock is worth it for all parties involved. The Dees give up Matty and Pick #17, Blues give up first and second and 3rd round picks, Freo gives up Robbie and its 3rd round pick. The blues get Robbie and Matty, Freos 3rd round pick, The Dockers get pick #17, Carltons #2nd round pick, and the Dees net Carltons first pick, and carltons 3rd round pick.

The 3-way trade is complex, but would work for all parties. The dees would be the least likely to be involved, as they know well if the deal falls through, Robbie Joins Matty in the red and Blue via the PSD. (Or he nominates for the national draft, meaning the blues will use their first round selection anyway, giving us a better chance to snatch a high quality kid with pick #17)

For the record, I would be very pleased to hold onto all the players mentioned in trades. I also have no burning desire for another top 10 pick. It would be nice, however pick #17 in a strong draft is just as good IMO.

Given the value of this years draft, few sides would be willing to cough up their first pick.

For the record, I would be very pleased to hold onto all the players mentioned in trades. I also have no burning desire for another top 10 pick. It would be nice, however pick #17 in a strong draft is just as good IMO.

Mate, I'd have to say that is one of the more intelligent and well thought out suggestions I've read in relation to trading for a while. Though I don't think there's a chance in hell we would get pick 6 for Matty Warnock and Pick 17, particularly because once it's on the table to Dockers are going to want it.

I think the other side to pencil in here is North. Laidley is a strange fish. He's intimated heavily that North have to readjust their list to go further. He's probably only got one maybe two years left to deliver some chocolates and has the hot breath of Dennis Pagan breathing down his neck. I think they'll trade heavily for immediate returns and their first pick may not necessarily be off limits.

I'd love another first round pick and like you I'm happy to hold onto any players the club thinks it needs, but we can't live in fantasy land. Trade time will be interesting, particularly because the Saints have expressed interest in the likes of CJ, and White before (their second pick maybe?) - there's also always been muted suggestions in relation to Jimmy Frawley because of the family connections.

Mate, I'd have to say that is one of the more intelligent and well thought out suggestions I've read in relation to trading for a while. Though I don't think there's a chance in hell we would get pick 6 for Matty Warnock and Pick 17, particularly because once it's on the table to Dockers are going to want it.

I think the other side to pencil in here is North. Laidley is a strange fish. He's intimated heavily that North have to readjust their list to go further. He's probably only got one maybe two years left to deliver some chocolates and has the hot breath of Dennis Pagan breathing down his neck. I think they'll trade heavily for immediate returns and their first pick may not necessarily be off limits.

I'd love another first round pick and like you I'm happy to hold onto any players the club thinks it needs, but we can't live in fantasy land. Trade time will be interesting, particularly because the Saints have expressed interest in the likes of CJ, and White before (their second pick maybe?) - there's also always been muted suggestions in relation to Jimmy Frawley because of the family connections.

Totally agree! There is no way Melbourne can get pick 6 by giving up M.Warnock and Pick 17. Would be an absolute steal if we could. But it wont happen.

I would be interested to trade James Frawley though. If StKilda were interested I would off load him. I doubt StKilda would give up there pick 12 (I think that there pick). But I would entertain Frawley to the Saints for their 2nd round pick and Armitage.

There is no way any player Im willing to part will get us a first rounder. To get a Top 10 pick you'd need someone in Bronlow / Coleman contention, so you'd only trade them if you couldnt keep them anyway. When has a team ever traded a player for their own benefit? If its a quality player its always the club that loses out.

Guest paxino27

How about a three way deal involving Melbourne, Carlton and Fremantle.

Melbourne trade Wonamerri to Fremantle and picks 17 & 19 to Carlton

Fremantle trade Warnock to Carlton

Carlton trade pick 6 and 56 to Melbourne.

Melbourne get two top 10 picks, Carlton get Warncok and two picks in the top twenty and Fremantle get a small forward to step in to replace the retired Jeff Farmer?

And with picks

1. Watts

6. Sidebottom

35. Salter

51. Browne

56. Klause