Footy Memberships 2009

Red and Blue Flame

Have we been sent renewal forms yet? i'm fairly keen to sign up along with family again for 2009

we need everyone to sign up quick- should be able to get at least 20,000 by February

traget should be 33,000+.

I read today that theres 21,000 + MCC members that are melbourne supporters

if they all signed up- and i know i've said it before on here, and everyone has said it before, we would boast one of the largest memberships

i saw the other day in the mail the flyer that they did in the mcc renewal- it had two other options

MFC/MCC premium member extra 160 bucks

or MFC/MCC member extra 50 bucks

they somehow need to entice all MCC members to become MFC members, cos not every mcc member will pay 160 or even 50 bucks

And a higher percentage of non-MCC members aren't members and won't pay the 110 to become a member.

MCC/MFC memberships are increasing, and they have a pretty good percentage anyway, so i don't feel there needs to be too much extra work in this area to help tick the memberships along.

Somehow the club needs to build the base elsewhere and attract new supporters, it's the small supporter base that's the problem.

that's where your wrong- we have a very large supporter base, it's the fact that they don't buy memberships.

you ask people who they go for. and if they go for melbourne- ask them if they're an MFC member, and 30% of the time, they'll say- oh i'm an MCC member, or..no i don;t go to the games.

can someone also answer my question as to if mFC 2009 membership forms are out yet?

that's where your wrong- we have a very large supporter base, it's the fact that they don't buy memberships.

you ask people who they go for. and if they go for melbourne- ask them if they're an MFC member, and 30% of the time, they'll say- oh i'm an MCC member, or..no i don;t go to the games.

can someone also answer my question as to if mFC 2009 membership forms are out yet?

from demonology... memberships already 3500.

Now to answer your question re. have membership forms been sent out yet???

Reply To The Demon 2286 posted 2008-09-24 16:56:10

l emailed the club last week and they sent back saying we wouldn't be getting anything until some time in October

we dont even have many "supporters" Baileys babies. melbourne have the least of any club. We have the highest supporter to membership ratio. we need more supporters more than anything. why would people chose to go for melbourne?

if you are born in hawthorn; why would you go for melbourne?

if you are born in Queensland; why would you go for melbourne?

nugget jones (nick)

you know as well i as i, that the people that don't really follow the game, or dont go to matches, or are from other countries or whatever...go for melbourne..cos they live here, or they go for melbourne because it's family and been passed down from when we were the juggernaut of the league- we just dont have the memberships

but in our circumstances, not living in collingwood, hawthorn etc. it's not very hard to find melbourne supporters

however, i was reading a newspaper article that said out of the entire country, melbourne has the least people that say "i support melbourne"

Sydney had the most

West Coast was next

Melbourne was last

there are lots of people that i have met that say they go for melbourne but do jack [censored] about it, but there are also just as many from other clubs but we dont notice it as much

just as taxi drivers, i always ask them what club they go for... none of them say melbourne and none of them actually go to matches or buy memberships regardless of what team they go for

taxi drivers..ah interesting

well, im with you- the club needs to attract the memberships- and that is having an up and running team of exciting young guns, and Aaron Davey playing in the EFFING forward line

just as taxi drivers, i always ask them what club they go for... none of them say melbourne and none of them actually go to matches or buy memberships regardless of what team they go for

You say that now...but wait till Vlad's master plan has completeley unfolded...and we become the Rawalpindi Redlegs

nugget jones (nick)

you know as well i as i, that the people that don't really follow the game, or dont go to matches, or are from other countries or whatever...go for melbourne..cos they live here, or they go for melbourne because it's family and been passed down from when we were the juggernaut of the league- we just dont have the memberships

Huh?

Melbourne have almost no profile in the 'soft' market of people who aren't really into AFL.

Essentially, the less 'into' football someone is, the more they will onyl see/remember the highest profile, most promoted, most often repeated clubs.

You've got us completely backwards. Melbourne have the smallest supporter base in the competition, and the highest proportion of that base to take out memberships, and to go to games. We're a pack of die-hards, we are.

If collingwood's supporter base was an intense as ours, it would translate to about 120,000 people turning up every game!

That's where you'll find the 'supporters' who really just has a housemate once who said 'go for Collingwood' so they say they do, and know the name Eddie Mcguire, and occassionally act enthusiastic when they catch up with their old housemate.

You might want to lay off the 'you know as well as I', as a general thing. Not just because you look like a [censored] when you then get it completely wrong!

Roy Morgan Research asserts that Melbourne have the smallest number of supporters.

However, a high percentage of our supporters are members (relative to other AFL Clubs).

I've also been told by those involved in MFC Membership that we have a high member retention rate.

MFC Membership will be sending out renewal forms soon.

MCC members have had the option to sign up for a MFC/MCC membership already, though.

Roy Morgan Research asserts that Melbourne have the smallest number of supporters.

However, a high percentage of our supporters are members (relative to other AFL Clubs).

I've also been told by those involved in MFC Membership that we have a high member retention rate.

MFC Membership will be sending out renewal forms soon.

MCC members have had the option to sign up for a MFC/MCC membership already, though.

I haven't been questionairred by Roy morgan research

so both of you having a crack are incorrect- your facts are based of surveys that reach possibly 10% of its target audience

21,000 MCC members say they support the MFC, to make you look a little bit better we'll say 30,000.

7000 of them are MFC members. That's nearly 25% turnover.

MFC has between 180-210,000 supporters.

Therefore MCC MFC members take up around 10% of our membership base, yet account for just under 25% of our total memberships.

nugget jones (nick)

Absolute carp BB. Nobody goes for MFC because they live in "Melbourne?". And there's never any family pass-down. My father played for Sth Melbourne 2's after WWII. I barrack for Melbourne, my 2 brothers barrack for Collingw&%$. My 2 sons barrack for Melbourne under threat of death, but my grandson likes Nth Melb, but he's 3 and under the spell of a wicked auntie. Go figure!!

You need to be old to remember the juggernaught. No-one is that old any more. I know very few MFC supporters and my sons know even less. A sign of lean times. IMO, we picked up very few new young ones during this millenium due to our sporadic performances.

Get off the MCC case; they are well represented as MFC and are a declining ratio within the MCC. I reckon they've already been caned.

And, BB, I understand your impatience to re-sign, but you're an internet person. Just log on to the MFC website and sign on as soon as you can. I'll just tick off my auto renewal when it calls up. Done!

I haven't been questionairred by Roy morgan research

so both of you having a crack are incorrect- your facts are based of surveys that reach possibly 10% of its target audience

I'm not 'having a crack'.

I do think that Roy Morgan's survey population is more representative than your 'sample'*, though.

*the people you chat to about the Dees

Absolute carp BB. Nobody goes for MFC because they live in "Melbourne?". And there's never any family pass-down. My father played for Sth Melbourne 2's after WWII. I barrack for Melbourne, my 2 brothers barrack for Collingw&%$. My 2 sons barrack for Melbourne under threat of death, but my grandson likes Nth Melb, but he's 3 and under the spell of a wicked auntie. Go figure!!

there is family pass down...it might not be prominant but a lot of people go for the same team as their dad

i strougle to find ppl that i know that dont go for the same team as their dad

there is family pass down...it might not be prominant but a lot of people go for the same team as their dad

i strougle to find ppl that i know that dont go for the same team as their dad

My Grandfather immigrated to Carlton in the '20s and has followed the Blues his whole life. My father, born 1950, had several close friends who followed Melbourne, and growing up in our most succesful period was happy to switch to us - he has been loyal ever since. My brother, born in '78, switched to the Blues when he was young for similair reasons to my father's, with the added incentive of joining our grandfather and uncle. So my dad and brother both follow different teams to their fathers.

Meanwhile, a couple of years ago, I converted my then 10-yr-old cousin from the pies, so he now follows a different team to his father.

My Grandfather immigrated to Carlton in the '20s and has followed the Blues his whole life. My father, born 1950, had several close friends who followed Melbourne, and growing up in our most succesful period was happy to switch to us - he has been loyal ever since. My brother, born in '78, switched to the Blues when he was young for similair reasons to my father's, with the added incentive of joining our grandfather and uncle. So my dad and brother both follow different teams to their fathers.

Meanwhile, a couple of years ago, I converted my then 10-yr-old cousin from the pies, so he now follows a different team to his father.

D4L, you should be lauded in all the right places for converting a Collingw&%$ supporter, irrespective of the fact that you're bigger than him/her.

I think you need to allocate AFL caps around the xmas dinner table to decide who gets first crack at the turkey !!

Statistics requires nowhere near even 10% sample to form an accurate picture.

This is why only a couple of thousand people have the ratings boxes.

Correct. And they give an accurate response.

Well how else would you like to conduct a survey?

And at least Rogue had some facts. All you've got is fictional tripe.

Indeed.

well all i'm trying to say is that there are actually thousands and thousands of melbourne supporters, who you wouldn't think- that dont have memberships, but don't even follow the game, and just have a team so that when people get asked they have a team to say.

This has been done to death many times before...

The research is basically flawed.

Take a "sample" from NSW and the answer you will get is Sydney. Why, because there is noone else to support in NSW. Does it translate to memberships? No because most people there don't give a toss about AFL.

Take a "sample" in QLD and the whole state supports Brisbane. But unless they are winning Premierships, they don't get people turning up to their games.

Take a "sample" in WA and most will support the Eagles. Why? Because unless you followed the variants of Fremantle in the WAFL over generations, then you will support the only other alternative.

Take a "sample" in SA and you either support Port or don't. That is why Ports membership has never grown since day 1 and never will. They are the Collingwood equivalent in SA. Everyone else barracks for Adelaide, because again there are no alternatives.

Take a "sample" in Victoria, and it will split among the 10 resident teams. Take a "sample" around Collingwood and guess what? Take a "sample" around Bentleigh and Melbourne would come up trumps.

It is this false "support" that is driving the Western Sydney red herring. If the desire for AFL was real in Sydney, then they would have 50,000 plus members and people turning up in droves to every match. Vlad and Anderson cannot see the blindingly obvious.

Regardless, Melbourne is the least supported of the Victorian clubs. However, it has one of the highest conversion rates to membership. And at the end of the day that is what gets sponsors and money into the club.