What do WE stand for?

Guest WhatDoesAnyTeamStandFor

Hi

At the after match function on Saturday Robbo mentioned that Stuart Spencer often chews his ear about the Melbourne side of the 50's and early 60's being the greatest side ever. I got to thinking that there is a deafening silence amongst commentators, critics and footy opinion makers (spinners), particularly Collingwood centric spinners, when it comes to talking about the achievements and history of the great Melbourne Football Club.

Why is the Collingwood v Carlton rivalry talked up when Carlton have only beaten up on Collingwood in 5 grand finals while we have smashed them in 6.

Why do we always hear about Collingwood winning in 1958 terms of Collingwood preserving its record of 4 flags in a row rather than in terms of the greatest team of all time almost winning 6 flags in a row (1955 v Collingwood, 1956 v Collingwood, 1957 v Essendon, 1958 pipped in the GF, 1959 v Essendon and 1960 v Collingwood)?

Which is the only team to have one three flags in a row TWICE? (1939,1940,1941 and 1955,1956,1957)

Which are the only two Victorian based teams that still play at their original home ground? Yes. The two oldest clubs! Collingwood junked their home ground (and their grass roots) and cuckooed into the home of the DEES. (but they will never kick us out of our nest)

What is the greatest individual honor a player can receive? Yes the Norm Smith Medal (if in the winning team)

Now that commentators/legends such as the Ox and Lyon have have re-discovered their red and blue hearts. Now that we have the great Jim Stynes and the passionate Chris Connelly re-kindling the Demon spirit. Now that we have a record membership notwithstanding a year where we have struggled on the field. Now that we have the youngest and one of the most exciting lists. Now in this, our 150 year I think its time to end the deafening silence.

Dont you?

Hi

At the after match function on Saturday Robbo mentioned that Stuart Spencer often chews his ear about the Melbourne side of the 50's and early 60's being the greatest side ever. I got to thinking that there is a deafening silence amongst commentators, critics and footy opinion makers (spinners), particularly Collingwood centric spinners, when it comes to talking about the achievements and history of the great Melbourne Football Club.

Why is the Collingwood v Carlton rivalry talked up when Carlton have only beaten up on Collingwood in 5 grand finals while we have smashed them in 6.

Why do we always hear about Collingwood winning in 1958 terms of Collingwood preserving its record of 4 flags in a row rather than in terms of the greatest team of all time almost winning 6 flags in a row (1955 v Collingwood, 1956 v Collingwood, 1957 v Essendon, 1958 pipped in the GF, 1959 v Essendon and 1960 v Collingwood)?

Which is the only team to have one three flags in a row TWICE? (1939,1940,1941 and 1955,1956,1957)

Which are the only two Victorian based teams that still play at their original home ground? Yes. The two oldest clubs! Collingwood junked their home ground (and their grass roots) and cuckooed into the home of the DEES. (but they will never kick us out of our nest)

What is the greatest individual honor a player can receive? Yes the Norm Smith Medal (if in the winning team)

Now that commentators/legends such as the Ox and Lyon have have re-discovered their red and blue hearts. Now that we have the great Jim Stynes and the passionate Chris Connelly re-kindling the Demon spirit. Now that we have a record membership notwithstanding a year where we have struggled on the field. Now that we have the youngest and one of the most exciting lists. Now in this, our 150 year I think its time to end the deafening silence.

Dont you?

I think it's simple, we stand for Volvo's & 4WD's. This is why we're dying. We don't have enough ferals in the outer to jump & shout to create AN ATMOSPHERE like the loud supporters of other teams. We're too cultured, or if you like, too politically correct, er, sorry, politely correct. WE APPLAUD our boys when they put on a show, what.

This club has become too elitist with the mcc getting all the players at their functions, including the players race, etc.

They also get the huddle over there side, whilst the regular full paying members get to feel left out in the cold.

If I hadn't been following this team for 45 to 50 years because of my dear old grand father who was an mcc cricketer, I reckon I'd change teams. I have no time for snobbery & pretentious types who think they're better than anyone else.

This club has become too elitist with the mcc getting all the players at their functions, including the players race, etc.

Our huddle is located in front of the MCC so you want to follow another club, logic...not quite. Do you have any grasp of our history? That if it wasn't for the MCC we wouldn't exist anyway. How in the world have we become elitist when our very own roots are based in one of the more eite clubs in the city.

Our club is dying because people buy into the ridiculous stereotype you have put forward, meaningless drivel that serves no purpose, only to highlight the troubles our club faces.

our club struggles for more than one reason

im not going to bring up the whole MCC story again, but without them, its difficult to compete against teams that have always stood on their own two legs...

i recon the fans are starting to get better, i think that we actually do make a bit of noise (brisbane game, freo game, queens birthday)

our memberships are rising..

the mcc created melbourne and for a long time, mcc members were a part of Melbourne footy club

culture is slowly changing IMO...just give it time, persistence and effort

Well I'm a younger supporter. I'm 19 and go every week, very often by myself. I could go with my grandfather and sit up on the second tier in the MCC members with a thermos and a wool blanket, or I could sit in the rain with the cheer squad and scream my guts out. In my opinion, there is an older "toffee" generation, but it may be disappearing as the next generation of supporters come in.

Unfortunately, there aren't really enough Melbourne supporters my age to make a difference.

Our huddle is located in front of the MCC so you want to follow another club, logic...not quite. Do you have any grasp of our history? That if it wasn't for the MCC we wouldn't exist anyway. How in the world have we become elitist when our very own roots are based in one of the more eite clubs in the city.

Our club is dying because people buy into the ridiculous stereotype you have put forward, meaningless drivel that serves no purpose, only to highlight the troubles our club faces.

Exactly. Dee-luded is.......just that. SOmetimes you have to remember your roots, your foundations, to refer to it as elitest is ignorant.

Well I'm a younger supporter. I'm 19 and go every week, very often by myself. I could go with my grandfather and sit up on the second tier in the MCC members with a thermos and a wool blanket, or I could sit in the rain with the cheer squad and scream my guts out. In my opinion, there is an older "toffee" generation, but it may be disappearing as the next generation of supporters come in.

Unfortunately, there aren't really enough Melbourne supporters my age to make a difference.

The missing Y generation.

Chook, if you add 10 years or so, you sound like myself :P

Quite common for me to have no voice come Monday.

The players seen to be rubbing shoulders with the suits all the time chris, at the expense of the rank and file grege's.

If you want to discuss further I will ask you next time I see you. :angry:

Guest melbman

I guess when the media spruke and push the more popular clubs they are really just meeting the market place in terms of media consumption. Collingwood are a good example of a market model as they intentionally or not targeted the working class.

The working class will and have used football as the glue that binds their community, both here and overseas, whereas the more affluent I feel could be less inclined to spend their last few dollars on football.

I also feel the lower socioeconomic end of things are more likely to get involved with pursuits of passionate competition as a spectator activity, from sports to current affairs programs, where they become emotionally involved with the chase of the dodgy business person or the hunt for the evil wrongdoers whereas the more affluent would spend more time on their personal pursuits.

The move to Casey has the opportunity to appeal to a new section of the community as far as the MFC goes, people who may spend a greater portion of their hard earned on footy on a weekly basis than more affluent sections of the population.

I'm sure some of you will take issue with this but I don't make any judgments on one group of people as better than another, just that some are in different situations in life. I myself probably fit into the lower end of things though like most have aspirations.

The move to Casey has the opportunity to appeal to a new section of the community as far as the MFC goes, people who may spend a greater portion of their hard earned on footy on a weekly basis than more affluent sections of the population.

Your quite right.

Guest G&D

A stirring thread but it unfortunately is based much in history and not in today. The fact remains we have not been part of the Big 3 or 4 clubs since the early 60's losing our spot to the likes of Essendon and Richmond. This is why we get little recognition. Even the AFL stole our 150 year for themselves.

Go into any sports store or KMart and see how much MFC stuff is on sale. Go to an Auskick near you and see how many kids are running around in MFC jumpers. We are largely irrelevant and that is the huge job Jimmy is facing and the major failing of the Club for the last 30 yrs.

The MCC is going to progressively become less and less Melbourne dominated as our fathers and grandfathers who were the lifeblood of the 40's, 50's and 60's pass on only to be replaced and ultimately outnumbered by more supporters of the new interlopers to our home.

We must get our heads out of the past and into today. Kids don't support history they support success here and now. We have to get behind Jim and build a future not live in the past.

A stirring thread but it unfortunately is based much in history and not in today. The fact remains we have not been part of the Big 3 or 4 clubs since the early 60's losing our spot to the likes of Essendon and Richmond. This is why we get little recognition. Even the AFL stole our 150 year for themselves.

Go into any sports store or KMart and see how much MFC stuff is on sale. Go to an Auskick near you and see how many kids are running around in MFC jumpers. We are largely irrelevant and that is the huge job Jimmy is facing and the major failing of the Club for the last 30 yrs.

The MCC is going to progressively become less and less Melbourne dominated as our fathers and grandfathers who were the lifeblood of the 40's, 50's and 60's pass on only to be replaced and ultimately outnumbered by more supporters of the new interlopers to our home.

We must get our heads out of the past and into today. Kids don't support history they support success here and now. We have to get behind Jim and build a future not live in the past.

Welcome to Demonland G&D, and spot on post.

I happened to go into Kmart last saturday morning to get a little footy for my grandson and the choices were Filth and Scum and pink. We got the pink one obviously.

Kids may support success, but even then there may be limits; look at Hawthorn and Nth Melbourne? I think their wandering ways have limited growth in their real support (not dogs, cats and budgies).

I think an extremely well executed and marketed move to Casey might help save us. The MCC linkage is great but as you say, diminishing. We have to lose the knobs, range rovers and snow bunny perception.

I happened to go into Kmart last saturday morning to get a little footy for my grandson and the choices were Filth and Scum and pink. We got the pink one obviously.

I've noted this as well and it highlights two points.

1) Collingwood and Essendon are clearly the most popular teams.

2) Collingwood and Essendon fans are most likely to shop at K-Mart.

Just need to get people who arent interested in AFL to become interested. I was an Avid league fan untill moving to Melbourne and was forced to watch AFL by my brother inlaw. Now I go to more Dees's game a year than I even watch rugby on TV. I will cheer and and scream till my voice doent work anymore when we win lose or draw. Guess what I also have gotten 2 new Members that will do the same thing for next year and they are both from a league dominated area of NSW this brings 3 new memberships all of the Y generation. My point being if you want to change the pompus culture dont think sitting here hoping and complaing will fix it GET OUT THERE we need to change it we need to start the NEW DEMON culture.

Just need to get people who arent interested in AFL to become interested. I was an Avid league fan untill moving to Melbourne and was forced to watch AFL by my brother inlaw. Now I go to more Dees's game a year than I even watch rugby on TV. I will cheer and and scream till my voice doent work anymore when we win lose or draw. Guess what I also have gotten 2 new Members that will do the same thing for next year and they are both from a league dominated area of NSW this brings 3 new memberships all of the Y generation. My point being if you want to change the pompus culture dont think sitting here hoping and complaing will fix it GET OUT THERE we need to change it we need to start the NEW DEMON culture.

Totally right. Perhaps it's not enough for the hardcore supporters to just go every week. Perhaps we also need to actively recruit unaligned and lapsed supporters too.

Totally right. Perhaps it's not enough for the hardcore supporters to just go every week. Perhaps we also need to actively recruit unaligned and lapsed supporters too.

That's where Casey may help, but we won't see the fruits of our labour for decades.

As for lapsed supporters, I've heard from someone involved in membership at the Dees that we've had the lowest churn rate the past few years.

According to a national survey done yearly, we've got a relatively small supporter base, but do relatively well when it comes to % of supporters as members.

That's where Casey may help, but we won't see the fruits of our labour for decades.

As for lapsed supporters, I've heard from someone involved in membership at the Dees that we've had the lowest churn rate the past few years.

According to a national survey done yearly, we've got a relatively small supporter base, but do relatively well when it comes to % of supporters as members.

Weird you say that I would like to see those stats. I think I have spoken to more non member supporters than Members since becoming a suporter myself I spoke to I think 4 on one train all dress up in red and blue but not memebers cause they couldnt be bothered.

Weird you say that I would like to see those stats. I think I have spoken to more non member supporters than Members since becoming a suporter myself I spoke to I think 4 on one train all dress up in red and blue but not memebers cause they couldnt be bothered.

I have known a number of "followers" of the Dees for years and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get them to become paid up members.

A couple did late in June out of a sense of guilt, given our parlous financial state, but there remain many who still remain unsigned.

In the late 80's, Swooper Northey relied on the "us against them" philosophy and while it carried us a long way, it was never going to deliver the ultimate prize, as I suspect the same philosophy won't do the same for North this year, as gutsy as they have been.

But what that period did give us was some much needed passion back at the footy club.

The club needs to reflect that passion again and over a sustained period, to get the fence sitters firmly entrenched within the club.

I think Jimmy and his team might just do that over the next 12 months.

"Proud in the jumper, proud in the Club"

I have known a number of "followers" of the Dees for years and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get them to become paid up members.

A couple did late in June out of a sense of guilt, given our parlous financial state, but there remain many who still remain unsigned.

In the late 80's, Swooper Northey relied on the "us against them" philosophy and while it carried us a long way, it was never going to deliver the ultimate prize, as I suspect the same philosophy won't do the same for North this year, as gutsy as they have been.

But what that period did give us was some much needed passion back at the footy club.

The club needs to reflect that passion again and over a sustained period, to get the fence sitters firmly entrenched within the club.

I think Jimmy and his team might just do that over the next 12 months.

"Proud in the jumper, proud in the Club"

Lets all get on board the Red and Blue train!