Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

Guest unstable punt
Off he goes then, to anyone willing to offer us anything ;) !!!

listening to Healy again tonight and mentioned again thats he's not happy, meaning he probably wants to see what he can get or what team will pick him up. Let him go, get a young bloke, gotta be at least the same sort of deal as we got with TJ, late first round pick. Maybe Sydney might look at him, that would be around pick 12-14.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To imply that I'd take 'anything' for Green is incorrect. While I normally agree with you, I think this is another of your posts in this thread that's way off the mark ;)

My dear Rogue I get it, but that doesn't mean I necessarily and automatically agree with your opinion :) ........

And this seems to be Healy's bug, but if Green is not happy then he has every right to look elsewhere.

Guest Schtacker
Let's work off Stynes' projection - finals 3-5, premiership 5-7.

Green would be 30-32, 32-34. A draftee we pick up would be 20-22, 22-25.

There's no guarantee Green would be playing come our next tilt, let alone at a high level. If we pick a young player, he should have played 50-100 games if he's made the grade.

If the draftee doesn't make it, we're missing a 32+ year old Green for our next flag tilt. In the intervening years, Green may have been able to find success at another Club. Worth the risk, IMO.

yep that's exactly right, and its the exact same line of reasoning that saw us swap Johnstone for Grimes. We either win or break even. What happens to the player himself or the club that gets him is completely irrelevant. Not rocket science, folks.

Then I'm not sure why, after quoting my post, you suggested that we should send him off to anyone willing to offer us anything..?

I'm certainly not advocating that.

I've sent you a private message so we can stop irritating each other in public :P !!!

listening to Healy again tonight and mentioned again thats he's not happy, meaning he probably wants to see what he can get or what team will pick him up. Let him go, get a young bloke, gotta be at least the same sort of deal as we got with TJ, late first round pick. Maybe Sydney might look at him, that would be around pick 12-14.

I loved having TJ in the team but I thought getting pick 14 last year was pretty good for him. I would be disappointed if that's all we got for Brad Green though, the way he has been playing for the past few years he would be great value playing alongside the up and comer's on our list. Being a potential b&f winner plus consistently being in the top 5 of the count for a while now I don't think we could get fair value for him on the market. I really hope we can come to terms with him.

The first part.... do you include Brad in the 80%? That would surprise me. He's a really good player who has led like no other this year. I would think that next to recruiting youth, the most important thing would be having coaches that can develop and players that can educate... Green is one that I would be at pains to retain for thins reason. It's very attractive to have a list full of 18-22 year olds, but what good is it if they don't have any help from their PEERS..

Absolutely I include Green in that 80%

Yes he's a good player, and yes he's a good leader, but he won't be around for a premiership and he is not so valuable that if we lost him and gained a top player for the future we'd struggle. For goodness sake, he is not an A grade footballer, he is a loose defender who sometimes plays forward, hardly irreplaceable.

And for all of his leadership attributes, Green was not put in the leadership group at the start of the year, so we'd manage without him. Experience is great, but young talent is better when you're on the bottom of the ladder.

And yes I want him to stay, but if we get offered pick 25 or lower I would take that without hesitation.

If green goes, the Dews would have to do something pretty damn special to get me to sign up for a membership next season. Brad Green has been a great player for the club. There is no secret we can pay him a decent wage considering that neita, white (possibly yze) will not be on the books next season. (even if we have to cut 8%, surely we have enough space to re-ink Greeny)

Pull your head out of your arse Melbourne!

Its irrelevant what we can or cant pay him.. its what he is worth.. And its what he is worth in the context of where we are today..and what his likely contribution or requirement is going to be.

He's not worth 'any ' amount of money..he's no Ablett.. In fact he'd probably struggle to get a game with that particular team which puts it even more in context.

Still..I barrack for a team..and couldnt really care who it is that makes it to that composition. Am more concerned with the overall performance..not an individuals

Green like anyone is expendable under the right conditions..simple as that

If green goes, the Dews would have to do something pretty damn special to get me to sign up for a membership next season.

Ahh, so you're one of those people. That's OK, as I have noted your name down in my head for future use when deciding whether to value your opinions. Cheers.

The fact that we are paying nearly 100% of the cap says that we pay our players too highly and that we should be looking to drive a harder deal. Green is probably used to him, and his team mates, getting more for their equivalent performance.

Unfortunately for Greeny, Bailey wants us to get better. Greeny may accept, but I'll hardly lose sleep if he leaves.

One thing certain in football is you will have a different list every year

Get used to it as thats the way it has always been

Wraithchild you should also support somone else as you dont deserve to be a demon with your attitude

I want Green to remain a Demon but if his wallet says otherwise then so be it

If green goes, the Dews would have to do something pretty damn special to get me to sign up for a membership next season.

Pull your head out of your arse Melbourne!

Gotta love this chest puffing stuff by loyal supporters. :lol:

You might take some of your own medicine!

Gotta love this chest puffing stuff by loyal supporters. :lol:

You might take some of your own medicine!

Problem is there isn't much left to be Loyal to!

If they can't give a guy, who many see as a potential captain, a 3 year contract then it sends a signal that the club obviously don't rate him as

1) A future Captain and

2) worthy of 3 years...both of which are rubbish.

What other reason would they have?

If they can't give a guy, who many see as a potential captain, a 3 year contract then it sends a signal that the club obviously don't rate him as

1) A future Captain and

It means nothing of the sort. Decisions have to be made about the value of a player to the Club given where its at. If Green prices himself in a position that is unreasonable for either the salary cap or the Club plans then its good bye. While I like Green as a player, I am sick of the 3 year contracts that we have trotted out to players like Bizzell, Yze and others who have held the Club over a barrel to be paid too much and deliver too little.

You might want to review your loyalty criteria.

It means nothing of the sort. Decisions have to be made about the value of a player to the Club given where its at. If Green prices himself in a position that is unreasonable for either the salary cap or the Club plans then its good bye. While I like Green as a player, I am sick of the 3 year contracts that we have trotted out to players like Bizzell, Yze and others who have held the Club over a barrel to be paid too much and deliver too little.

You might want to review your loyalty criteria.

That is the point. The club obviously does not value him enough to offer him 3 years ( and thefore, going on past contracts, values him less than Bizell, Yze and others).

So who is worth 3 years??..if it is not a guy who is probably going to claim your B+F and has been the most consistent performer over at least this year as well the most likely leader on and off the field in the next 3 years.

If they are not careful he will walk!

1) A future Captain and

Future aspects such as being competitive enough for success and the viability of the club come to mind.

That is the point. The club obviously does not value him enough to offer him 3 years ( and thefore, going on past contracts, values him less than Bizell, Yze and others).

So who is worth 3 years??..if it is not a guy who is probably going to claim your B+F and has been the most consistent performer over at least this year as well the most likely leader on and off the field in the next 3 years.

Yze and Bizzell should never have been offered those contracts. So dont use that as a yardstick. Its a new administration.

While it is an achievement to win a Bluey, I dont overrate the performances of this year's and last year's winner. They have been won in crud teams and does not indicate that the player is a must keep at all costs.

Given Bailey has made public comments suggesting that Bruce and Junior would make good leaders, you are really pushing your own barrow with statements suggesting Green. It was also notable that the players did not have Green in the leadership group at the start of the year. He strikes me as a WIP leader amongst his peers.

The club is rightly thinking that in 2011, the third year, that Brad Green might not be in the best 22 and they do not want the salary cap strained by a thirty year old on $450k!

That is where we are at with White and Yze, and the club knows its talent is young and it has to plan accordingly.

And walk where?

The PSD will be us, WCE, Freo, and PA. He wouldn't risk it and we will get a decent trade if he is set in going. Whether we should trade him is another question entirely, and alot has already been said.

I understand the points being raised and the worry that Green will become rubbish after signing a 3 year contract.

But again I ask: if Brad Green is currently not worth a 3 year contract...who is?

Yes It is my opinion he should Captain...but I am far from the only one. I guess I prefer leadership through action than talk.

As you say Rhino this is a new administration. They are yet to prove themselves.

You were questioning someones Loyalty before for questioning whether they would become a member or not should Green leave.I personally have loyalty to the MFC Loyalty to this administration needs to be earned!

I understand the points being raised and the worry that Green will become rubbish after signing a 3 year contract.

But again I ask: if Brad Green is currently not worth a 3 year contract...who is?

Yes It is my opinion he should Captain...but I am far from the only one. I guess I prefer leadership through action than talk.

As you say Rhino this is a new administration. They are yet to prove themselves.

You were questioning someones Loyalty before for questioning whether they would become a member or not should Green leave.I personally have loyalty to the MFC Loyalty to this administration needs to be earned!

I think Bailey has been clear and consistent as to what he wants to achieve. If player does not want to buy into the vision he goes. He is either loyal and faithful to that vision or its the door.

I am sick to death of propping up footballers in this Club who dont toe the team line in all facets because people rant that "they bleed for the jumper".

This administration has the backing of the MFC Board and is seeking to implement their plan. If you say you are loyal to MFC how are you not loyal to the administration backed by the Board???

And as for questioning someones loyalty for stating they would not sign up for membership if the Administration did not do what they wanted. I dont value their flaky brand of loyalty at all.

I'd rather lose Brad Green now than a good young player in 2 years. It's standard practice of the Daniher era underachievers (and yes Green is one of 'em) to threaten to walk every time their contract comes up. It's no longer the clubs standard practice to cave in. If players want to walk for a few extra dollars then let 'em I say. If the club allows itself to be held to ransom by good ordinary footballers, and that's all Brad is, how will it be able a pay for a star or two if they ever come along. We are paying 100% of the cap to a spoon winning list and people want to hand out pay rises! :wacko: Can I come work for you? :rolleyes:

I think Bailey has been clear and consistent as to what he wants to achieve. If player does not want to buy into the vision he goes. He is either loyal and faithful to that vision or its the door.

I am sick to death of propping up footballers in this Club who dont toe the team line in all facets because people rant that "they bleed for the jumper".

This administration has the backing of the MFC Board and is seeking to implement their plan. If you say you are loyal to MFC how are you not loyal to the administration backed by the Board???

And as for questioning someones loyalty for stating they would not sign up for membership if the Administration did not do what they wanted. I dont value their flaky brand of loyalty at all.

I don't support administrations or boards I support a football team! I want to win and be as successful as possible.

"If you say you are loyal to MFC how are you not loyal to the administration backed by the Board???"

That is like saying how can you be loyal to your country and hate the president! I can think of plenty of examples!

Anyway, I think it would be a mistake not to resign Green after what he has shown over the last 2-3 years and I would find it hard for them to justify. But at the end of the day I have no influential say in the matter.

Fact!!!

We need to trade one of either Green, Bruce or Wheatley to keep the list roll over moving on and the kids coming through ..should only be traded if the deal is right...

Out of three Green is easily the most polished player and should be kept...

Bruce probably has the most value on the open market and should be traded for a top 20 pick or better...

We already have Wooz, Valenti and Robert Warnock to add to our list so there is 3 spots on out list that need to be made free even before our young kids from the draft....

A turnover of at least 7-8 players should be expected.

I don't support administrations or boards I support a football team! I want to win and be as successful as possible.

So you want to win and be successful as possible but you dont support administrations or boards? Gotcha. :wacko: But you support football teams. If you take out the Board, administrations and players out of football club what do you have? Alot of supporters with alot of history and nothing else.

Fact!!!

That is enough to suggest I read elsewhere.

Despite being a hard trier, I am not sure Valenti will get picked up at year end.