Sponsorships

Rflowerwing

For a long time i've thought [joked] that Mt. Buller should sponsor us and that part of the deal should be discounted mid-week ski lift passes MFC members.

Go to the snow and go to the game!

Mid week ski passes - good idea, not that I go. There should be a clause that to receive the discounted deal you must attend the games prior and post ski trip. :lol:

In all seriousness, is ING sponsoring anyone in AFL? There is a potential great sponsor for the club IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Steve Harris dumped LG and brought in Primus.

Primus is history in sponsorship and LG are still going with Freo.

That's the problem with new ceos trying to make heros of themselves by bringing in a new sponsor.

Remember the AFL's criticism of Melbourne earlier this year? That we were no good at relationships with outsiders. That could have been a dig at the way we dumped LG who were keen to stay with us.

Mugs with only ourselves too blame - Oh and Paul G who appointed Harris. Might as well give him another kicking.

"MELBOURNE's plight as the most vulnerable club in the AFL has become more critical with the loss of major sponsor Primus Telecom.

The loss of the deal, which has been in place since 2004 " _ The Australian August 13, 2008

Steve Harris said, "I was given a challenging brief in 2004" - Melbourne FC press release February 4, 2008

So show us what you have...

"MELBOURNE's plight as the most vulnerable club in the AFL has become more critical with the loss of major sponsor Primus Telecom.

The loss of the deal, which has been in place since 2004 " _ The Australian August 13, 2008

Steve Harris said, "I was given a challenging brief in 2004" - Melbourne FC press release February 4, 2008

So show us what you have...

You dont have much at all pitmaster which makes your early swipe at Harris uninformed and silly.

The deal may have commenced for the 2004 season but would have logically been identified and negotiated prior to that time.

"Harris, a former editor-in-chief of The Age, became the fifth Melbourne chief executive in seven years when he was appointed to the job during the 2004 season." Caro Wilson Age 5 August 2008

"Harris was appointed in June 2004, signing a three-year deal " - Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph - Herald Sun 5 Feb 2008.

So are you so sure the Primus deal was struck post June 2004?

You dont have much at all pitmaster which makes your early swipe at Harris uninformed and silly.

The deal may have commenced for the 2004 season but would have logically been identified and negotiated prior to that time.

"Harris, a former editor-in-chief of The Age, became the fifth Melbourne chief executive in seven years when he was appointed to the job during the 2004 season." Caro Wilson Age 5 August 2008

"Harris was appointed in June 2004, signing a three-year deal " - Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph - Herald Sun 5 Feb 2008.

So are you so sure the Primus deal was struck post June 2004?

No I'm not - that was the point of asking flowerwing for what he knew - Harris was appointed in June 2004 - when the LG deal ended I am not sure. I think Harris unloaded LG but while you say I don't have much at all I made the point I was willing to be corrected. I'm still waiting.

No I'm not - that was the point of asking flowerwing for what he knew - Harris was appointed in June 2004 - when the LG deal ended I am not sure. I think Harris unloaded LG but while you say I don't have much at all I made the point I was willing to be corrected. I'm still waiting.

The first Members Email of season 2004 dated 15 January 2004 is headed up with the Primus header. From memory the deal was signed in November 2003.

The Club announcement of Harris' appointment occurred on 24 June 2004.

Here is the wording of the announcement

MEDIA RELEASE

Melbourne Football Club appoint new Chief Executive Officer

The Melbourne Football Club today appointed Mr Steve Harris as the new Chief Executive Officer.

Following an exhaustive search, Mr Harris was chosen from an original field of seventy-seven and an ultimate shortlist of five candidates.

Club Chairman, Paul Gardner, said that Mr Harris had proven skills in strategic development within a highly competitive and public business arena.

“Steve has managed both large organisations and start-ups. He has strong management and communications skills and also knows Melbourne extremely well. We are incredibly fortunate to have him join our exciting new team.”

Steve Harris commented, “I am excited by this opportunity. The Melbourne Football Club is at a pivotal time in its history. While the Club clearly has some challenges, there are some really positive signs with a new sense of unity and expertise at Board and management level, and an exciting team on the field.

Some clear and hard thinking is coming to the fore, as is the resolve and sense of purpose at what is an iconic sporting business, which has underperformed for some time. It has real potential,” he said.

Mr Gardner praised John Phillips’ role as Interim Managing Director over the last six months, saying, “I don’t think we could have had such a successful outcome without John. He’s kept the Club on track and operational during a very difficult time and has been well supported by Rob Ewart, Danny Corcoran and the entire management team”.

Previously, Mr Harris was the founder and Managing Director of ViaMedia Melbourne, publisher of the MELBOURNE magazine. He will remain a non-executive director of this business.

Prior to ViaMedia, Mr Harris had held the role of Publisher (CEO) of The Age Company for four years and Editor-in-Chief of the Herald and Weekly Times Group from 1992 to 1997. He is the only person to have Editor-in-Chief positions of both major Melbourne newspaper companies.

A Trustee of the Victorian Arts Centre, Life Member of the Melbourne Press Club and Board Member of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Mr Harris is married with three children.

He will begin with the Melbourne Football Club on the 5th July 2004.

ENDS

For further information:

Ildi Ireland or Leigh Newton

Melbourne Football Club

Tel: 0411 759 426 or 0419 355 762

You were saying?

I stand corrected - so it was Gardner after all and not Harris. Thanks for digging that out. I'll readjust my bitterness.

Wrong again.

Szondy was Chairman at the time the LG deal ended and the Primus deal commenced. Gardner was elected as Chairman in January 2004.

More readjustment required.

Wrong again.

Szondy was Chairman at the time the LG deal ended and the Primus deal commenced. Gardner was elected as Chairman in January 2004.

A question on primus..

I'm confused about Primus.... didn't they drop us last year (2008)... well for those of us who have prmus accounts, primus are still taking from our phone accounts and supposibly still giving it to the club. I rang the club, but they didn't know whether they were receiving the money or not !!!!! ( why not !!!)

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
A question on primus..

I'm confused about Primus.... didn't they drop us last year (2008)... well for those of us who have prmus accounts, primus are still taking from our phone accounts and supposibly still giving it to the club. I rang the club, but they didn't know whether they were receiving the money or not !!!!! ( why not !!!)

best post i have read for 12months, thats why were the 16th club in the afl, and thats why were broke cause of crap like that.

A question on primus..

Its hardly a major cause for concern that someone in the office answering phones didn't know the answer to this question.

When in doubt: claim ignorance.

However if its was Cameron Schwab that said this, or if in fact no one at MFC knows, then its a worrying sign.

I doubt that's the case. And I imagine the agreement in place would continue unless otherwise notified.

We've had

the people's Jim at the helm
for six months now.

We have since lost our major sponsor and have no replacement. The status of the existing arrangments for primus customers is in doubt.

The real question here is who is to blame - Harris or Gardner?

Lets hope Jimmy and the boys have something big planned in that area.

God knows we need it.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Its hardly a major cause for concern that someone in the office answering phones didn't know the answer to this question.

When in doubt: claim ignorance.

However if its was Cameron Schwab that said this, or if in fact no one at MFC knows, then its a worrying sign.

I doubt that's the case. And I imagine the agreement in place would continue unless otherwise notified.

im starting to think your a politician, sorry for the insult but i hope thats not the case.

im starting to think your a politician, sorry for the insult but i hope thats not the case.

Far from it - 25, self employed & a uni student. Who else would have that much time to spend on a forum like this?

I've always gone to public schools, worked for small businesses & large corporations in different countries, spent 4 years living in Europe and most recently worked in a mine in SA.

So, I doubt you guessed any of that, but I wouldn't blame you. I tend to sound quite pompous on here.

Maybe I should have been? But i doubt anyone would vote for me judging on the way I argue. I always think I'm right, even though I know deep down I don't know everything. Quite the opposite.

But this is wasting everyone's time, back to the point.

Someone in the office answering phones, without Cameron Schwab standing next to them to ask, would probably not know the answer.

The only way I'd expect them to, is if the club saw this as a question that would come up often & therefore they would come up with a 'standard response'.

I'd be surprised if Schwab didn't cover this topic with Primus during the discussions about terminating the sponsorship.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Far from it - 25, self employed & a uni student. Who else would have that much time to spend on a forum like this?

I've always gone to public schools, worked for small businesses & large corporations in different countries, spent 4 years living in Europe and most recently worked in a mine in SA.

So, I doubt you guessed any of that, but I wouldn't blame you. I tend to sound quite pompous on here.

Maybe I should have been? But i doubt anyone would vote for me judging on the way I argue. I always think I'm right, even though I know deep down I don't know everything. Quite the opposite.

But this is wasting everyone's time, back to the point.

Someone in the office answering phones, without Cameron Schwab standing next to them to ask, would probably not know the answer.

The only way I'd expect them to, is if the club saw this as a question that would come up often & therefore they would come up with a 'standard response'.

I'd be surprised if Schwab didn't cover this topic with Primus during the discussions about terminating the sponsorship.

cheers shaft have a good night.

Wrong again.

How's that hamstring RFW? You over-reached that time.

You know the treatment: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation, then gentle stretching, but very gentle because you're prone to over-doing it.

Fact: Szondy annointed Gardner as president as early as August 2003.

I was wrong in linking it to Harris but that's for other reasons. The basic point remains. New Boy Syndrome. OK it still looks like it was Gardner and not Harris who wanted to be the hero and delivered Primus and cost us LG which leaves us sponsorless now.

Gardner even had the endorsement (now this is weird) of Robert Flower for the second half of 2003.

How's that hamstring RFW? You over-reached that time.

You know the treatment: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation, then gentle stretching, but very gentle because you're prone to over-doing it.

Fact: Szondy annointed Gardner as president as early as August 2003.

I was wrong in linking it to Harris but that's for other reasons. The basic point remains. New Boy Syndrome. OK it still looks like it was Gardner and not Harris who wanted to be the hero and delivered Primus and cost us LG which leaves us sponsorless now.

Gardner even had the endorsement (now this is weird) of Robert Flower for the second half of 2003.

You obviously belong to the David Irving school of revisionist history. You don't want the facts to detract from a full head of bitterness. Now listen up because I'm only going to say this once:

- Szondy indicated his support for Gardner to succeed him as Chairman at the round 22 game held on 30 August 2003. The Chair was not Szondy's to give. Under the Constitution the Chairman is elected at the first meeting of the Board following the AGM. Gardner was elected as Chairman on 28 January 2004.

- the Primus deal was finalised in November 2003. Harris had no role in this - it was 7 months before he joined the Club. It began with a chance meeting between Szondy and Primus MD Greg Wilson (on a golf course). The nuts and bolts of the deal were thrashed out by MFC CEO Ray Ellis and signed off by the Board of the day. Gardner's role in this was to be one of 10 Directors approving the deal. Equally culpable in your book was Director at the time, Robbie Flower. The "basic point" does not remain. Your "New Boy Syndrome" is a product of your fevered imagination.

- the Primus deal was significantly more attractive than the expiring LG deal. Total $$$ were greater and significantly the LG deal had a significant element of product in it. Even worse, for the calculation of the value of the sponsorship the LG product had been valued at full retail prices not the value MFC could achieve from the product it then had to dispose of. The Primus deal was largely cash. Even after this LG were given the option of matching the Primus deal and were unable or unwilling to do so. Just what was Szondy and the Board at the time supposed to do given this scenario? If you think moving from LG to a new, more lucrative 5 year deal with Primus makes them "mugs" then your head is so far up your backside that you can make friends with your toothbrush.

- the "Club call" element of the Primus deal involved a rebate on call charges billed to MFC members transferring to Primus to be paid to the MFC. If, as appears to be the case from a mate of mine's recent Primus bill, these amounts are still being paid to the Club then those who negotiated a deal which continued to benefit the Club after expiry of the sponsorship itself are bloody geniuses in my book. On the other hand, if these rebates are appearing on Primus bills to customers but not being paid to the Club then the Stynes/Schwab administration are incompetent.

You won't find a harsher critic than me of the Szondy/Ellis administration but if you want to be a credible critic then (i) you need to get your facts right, and (ii) you need to be able to recognise the good along with the bad.

You obviously belong to the David Irving school of revisionist history. You don't want the facts to detract from a full head of bitterness. Now listen up because I'm only going to say this once...blah blah blah"

Wow what a rant! I must be getting close. You insist on raising Harris again even though I conceded my error on that point. The rest of your post looks a tad desperate.

And my PG-New Boy Syndrome point remains.

You earlier produced a club email to demonstrate Harris was not part of the Primus decision. Cool. I get that. That email was dated January 2004

Now if you're such a hoarder of old crap how is it you did not earlier produce the club email of October 30, 2003 - just two months prior - in which PAUL GARDNER ANNOUNCED THE PRIMUS SPONSORSHIP?

Prima facie case is that you supressed information that would have implicated PG in this. I only found the October 30 email by stumbling across a Mike Sheehan reference to it, but you, I reckon had it all along.

That this thread has turned this way is such a shame since you and I share a mutual concern for the MFC. My error on Harris was an honest mistake. Can you say the same?

So yeah RFW, if you are going to deal in half truths do just say it once.