North Ballarat v Sandringham

To me, that says 'if you want to be privy to this sort of thing, get down there and support the club like you should do.'

And i second that sentiment (if i'm right, that is).

Having said that, its impossible for me to get down there so I appreciate these things being passed on.

I think you're right with your asessment but for some people though that isn't an option.

I appreciate his report and his insights, it's posts like his that make demonland a great tool for fans to get an update on what's going on around the club.

Maric doesnt deserve his debut after playing one good game. Sure promote youth, but hes still got alot to learn and it wasnt long ago he was only doing an average job of it in the Sandy Reserves.

Maric has played more than "one good game".

I've seen him a couple of times in the Sandy seniors and been very impressed with his maturity and attitude (and gee...he only looks about 12 years old)!

Reckon he could be put in the Melbourne team for at least one game before season end, if only to get a taste of the big time and reward him for a damn good first year.

Maric has played more than "one good game".

I've seen him a couple of times in the Sandy seniors and been very impressed with his maturity and attitude (and gee...he only looks about 12 years old)!

Reckon he could be put in the Melbourne team for at least one game before season end, if only to get a taste of the big time and reward him for a damn good first year.

He's played quite well in the midfield this year. Plays is in bursts and gets knocked off the ball a bit but one forgets he is only 18. When he gets stronger and more confident I can definitley see him playing in the midfield. Could be the next Boomer!

The 2s played with only 2 on the bench and lost a player during the game. Yep, that's right, they started with 20 and one was a promotion from the under 18s.

Sandy has 15 players (includes MFC) currently unavailable.

68 Newton, Michael - an older man with some Nous sat next to Juice before the game and engaged him in conversation. The statement that lingers is; "I'll be able to kick'em from the square today". That prompted me to look at and probe. "Show pony" is appropriate. Alan Jaka (where is JakA)comes to mind. For all those who bag Sandy and say Newton is being held back by Sautner et al, The LESSON hasn't sunk in. Nick puts the CLUB first! yes! he struts around and thinks he can do it all, but his teammates WANT to kick it to him. When Juice plays with him they WANT to kick it to Sautner.

Newton has enormous talent. I hope Bailey takes him head on, coz that's what's needed and if he fails I don't want him. He will be another "Talent" without an ethic.

Thanks for the report dworship. Just a couple of observations based on your comments:

Firstly, it's a disgrace that the MFC would leave the Sandy 2s short of players. Surely fit players like Stefan Martin and Jace Bode need as much game time as possible, and a mid-season rest was hardly warranted. It appears that the impending divorce between the 2 clubs has taken it's toll, and the marriage is just a facade.

Secondly, your comparison of Sauntner with Newton is grossly unfair. Is that the same Nick Sauntner, the great clubman, that left Sandy for the Bullants because of his connection with Ian Collins? Sauntner's also been in the system 10 years, and knows the ropes on-field and off-field. If I was a young kid like Newton, and was being deliberately ignored by teamates for a VFL veteran who never made it, I'd be [censored] off too.

It begs the question of our VFL alignment. What comes first? On-field success for Sandy, or player development for the MFC.

It begs the question of our VFL alignment. What comes first? On-field success for Sandy, or player development for the MFC.

Epic thread on this about 3 months ago. Just about everyone put there 2 cents in on where they stand on this issue.

If I was a young kid like Newton, and was being deliberately ignored by teamates for a VFL veteran who never made it, I'd be [censored] off too.

Newton hasn't done anything yet. One mark does not make a career

Guest Colossus_2000

The reasoning behind not enough players relates to the split round, and players having played last week for MFC being unable to play in the VFL in what is effectivley the same round.

Hence no Stef, no Jace etc.

68 Newton, Michael - an older man with some Nous sat next to Juice before the game and engaged him in conversation. The statement that lingers is; "I'll be able to kick'em from the square today". That prompted me to look at and probe. "Show pony" is appropriate. Alan Jaka (where is JakA)comes to mind. For all those who bag Sandy and say Newton is being held back by Sautner et al, The LESSON hasn't sunk in. Nick puts the CLUB first! yes! he struts around and thinks he can do it all, but his teammates WANT to kick it to him. When Juice plays with him they WANT to kick it to Sautner.

Newton has enormous talent. I hope Bailey takes him head on, coz that's what's needed and if he fails I don't want him. He will be another "Talent" without an ethic.

I'm not a great reader of this forum other than to get information on games and other peoples views on games I've seen.

I'm particularly interested in your view on Newton. Gosh, fancy a young enthusiastic player looking at a cold windswept ground and saying he could kick it from the square. You know why Nick wouldn't have said that? Because he wouldn't run that far, he'd be sitting in the goal square waiting for the easy handball over the top.

I thought Newton played a very interesting game. He, along with Maric, were the most polished forwards on the ground on a day that was terrible for tall forwards with the ball blown everywhere and the delivery pretty ordinary. He took some excellent contested marks, led well and kicked some really good set shot goals in difficult conditions. He kicked 4 goals 3 behinds and I'd rate that effort as very good on the day. He's had about 16 shots at goal in the last two weeks. The frustration yesterday was he looked like he could do more. He missed a couple of marks you'd hope he would take and doesn't appear to put his heart and soul into it, but I'm not sure that we just don't expect to much of him.

Will he make it? I don't know as I wonder about his intensity and his ability to handle the pressure of AFL footy. He might be one of those footballer that are far to good for VFL footy but not quite good enough for AFL.

But I'm glad he's excited about kicking goals, FFS, that's his job.

Oh, and I'm with Jarka. Pass on whatever information you want to, but don't big note yourself with saying "I know something you don't know". You're probably not that important.

The reasoning behind not enough players relates to the split round, and players having played last week for MFC being unable to play in the VFL in what is effectivley the same round.

Hence no Stef, no Jace etc.

Thanks for the clarification Colossus.

I'm particularly interested in your view on Newton. Gosh, fancy a young enthusiastic player looking at a cold windswept ground and saying he could kick it from the square. You know why Nick wouldn't have said that? Because he wouldn't run that far, he'd be sitting in the goal square waiting for the easy handball over the top.

I think you have made a fair summation of Nick Sautner and Michael Newton. Sautner has been around along time and is task master of the easy receive particularly within the goal square.

You pinged it with Newton. Its not his ability but his commitment and intenisty that concerns many. Be that as it may, four goals from ordinary conditions is not a bad get in a losing side. It would appear that if he converted a couple of easy ones we would be crowing about his six goals. FWIW, I think at times he seems to lack the conviction and confidence to back his talent. Jakovich had the talent but also had a double serve of arrogance and belief.

I think at times he seems to lack the conviction and confidence to back his talent. Jakovich had the talent but also had a double serve of arrogance and belief.

Although I've never been a big wrap for Newton I am hoping that for his and the club's sake Bailey can install the work ethic and commitment that he needs to take his game to another level. Watching the progress of several other youngsters I think Bailey can do it. Although he is going to need help from Newton himself. The next few weeks appear critical to "Operation Newton" If he can push his way into the seniors and show some grunt we may have found our CHF. Here's hoping.

Thanks for the report, it's good to read considering I was unable to go to the game.

Just one small thing, this is a pet hate of mine. What is the point of the bolded part? If you don't want to share I can understand that, as a former player sponsor I understand that you wouldn't want to divulge some info given by the players however you've bascially boasted "I know something that you don't know." Other than that it's a great report for those of us who couldn't make it, very insightful specifically regarding Newton.

Thanks, I think

I will attempt to clarify some things. I wrote the report late Sunday as I had promised Jack. I had to go to Mildura early Monday I got back tonight.

The caps used in the report are for emphasis. Had no time to go into great depth to explain some of my reasoning. I really, really, really like Cheney. He was clear, concise, had a very good understanding of where he was headed and what was required. I have also watched him play a couple of times now and like the way he plays. A bit early yet, but there is a bit of Grinter about him. Three years ago I got the same opportunity to chat to Mathew Bate and REALLY liked him.

As to Newton, I've had a bit more time to think about what I was trying to convey. The lesson? If you don't think the coaches past and present haven't been trying to send some messages to him then thats your opinion. The WANT to part is about observing others body language and talk around him. Who leads and who follows, who encourages and supports and who doesn't. This area is the stuff thats the hardest to get and I need to watch and observe some more, but what I see is an unconscious behavior by others towards him. I think he is an enormous talent and WANT to see him do well for him and the club. I don't think he works hard enough for his team or team mates. That might be harsh and some will say he still kicked 4. When the going gets tough will his team mates go looking for him?

As to boasting, I didn't put the "not sharing" part in bold, although I see someone has. There are a number of supporter groups around, I think they might be able to do more. I'm happy with what our little group has been able to contribute this year and it does allow a little extra access. I don't post about everything I hear or see because in some cases it could be skewed by others and could potentially compromise someone. Most of what I say is my opinion based on what I've heard and seen and I'm fortunate to see and hear more than the average, but it is still opinion. Yes, I encourage everyone to be more involved. Jack helped promote our little gathering so I posted a report as my contribution.

Thanks for the report.

As to boasting, I didn't put the "not sharing" part in bold, although I see someone has.

I think they emboldened that part to highlight what it was they were replying to.

I believe the point they wanted to get across to you was that if you don't want to tell, simply don't tell.

Your post came across as 'I could tell you something worth knowing, but I'm not going to, because I'm in the in-group and you're not'.

Thanks for the report.

I think they emboldened that part to highlight what it was they were replying to.

I believe the point they wanted to get across to you was that if you don't want to tell, simply don't tell.

Your post came across as 'I could tell you something worth knowing, but I'm not going to, because I'm in the in-group and you're not'.

I think I get it now, but it wasn't my intent. I meant there are ways of finding out more, get involved!!

I'll watch that if I ever post again