Trades that could work!!

Tolstoys Nudge

If Melbourne delist CJ at the end of the season I will buy 10 Melbourne memberships next season.

CJ can be delisted legally, but he won't be. If a club signs a 2 year contract with a player, generally it means they are prepared to stick with him for that period of time, especially when he is earning peanuts and is more than handy depth.

Frankly I'd rather we look to the top end of our list and remove some serious list and salary-cap cloggers. We have more than enough players to delist in order to utilize all of our draft picks.

With Neita gone, Yze, Holland and White likely to follow, plus Carroll, Weetra and maybe Junior that's already seven possible outs. If we promote Aussie, which I'm 100% certain we will, but leave Valenti on the rookie list, we are still looking at 6 spots to fill. That makes 5 draft picks and 1 PSD pick... and that's before we've even looked at trading... and no, we can't trade Jamar for Jonathan Brown. I've asked, but Matthews is insisting we throw in pick 87 too :rolleyes:

Jaded, please keep the second and third weeks of October free, I've called the club, and you're required around our negotiation table for trade week preparation as well as formal discsussions regarding Brown.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone needs to relax..

We all love this club, thats the main thing..

<_<

Possibly your best effort in the thread so far. Yes do relax, Nudge. Your postering toward other posters beside myself rightly challenging the content of your "opinion" or "concept" is petulant and unnecessary.

I only wish those supporters from other clubs that give you such validation were actually handling the deals for their clubs. What a win-win it would be :lol: From the looks of things here they dont post on Demonland.

Keep working on the fine tuning of the "concept"

Such egalitarian big noting and personal degrading is somewhat unecessary Rhino...doesnt become a Moderator !!

Jaded, please keep the second and third weeks of October free, I've called the club, and you're required around our negotiation table for trade week preparation as well as formal discsussions regarding Brown.

Might be just the trick, Jaded would have her spring carnival outfits sorted by then. Could be very fetching and ruin the other recruiters concentration.

Our blokes of course will have to race in blinkers.

Jaded, will you do it...or is this too near exams?

Ok,

Its surely now completely obvious what our team needs..

We need a strong presence up forward, a finisher and someone in the midfield that can really break the lines, thus really enabling Bailey's run & gun game plan..

We also need a big, strong ruckman, as White will be gone soom, and certainly is no shadow of his former self, Johnson is seen as more a forward prospect, Jamar just does not do enough, and Meeson is still really learning..

The success of the bulldogs trades of recent times have made alot of clubs realise (finally) that trade week is a great way to address real areas of concern.

Especially now, with the 2 new teams & subsequent draft concessions, trades will be more previlant and more vital than ever.

Here are some trades that I think can work, for us, whilst being realistic for the other clubs as well..

Please bare in mind, I not considering players who will most likely be de-listed, as no other clubs would be interested..

SOME BETTER THOUGHT OUT ONES!! JUST SO U ALL BETTER SEE MY POINT, mainly for the narrow minded!

1) Send Colin Sylvia to Adelaide for Luke Jericho

2) Trade Ricky Petterd to Port Adelaide for Paul Stewart

Petterd is a talent, which is whats needed to gain a key forward!

3) Brad Miller & late pick to Brisbane in exchange for Justin Sherman

4) Jamar & 3rd round pick to Fremantle for Robert Warnock

5) Brad Green, mid pick to Hawthorn for Tim Boyle

Green would really thrive at a place like Hawthorn..for 4-5 years!

6) Cameron Bruce & 3rd round pick to saints for Justin Koscitschke

Still wouldnt be taken by saints, as they over rate Kossi, but imo COULD work 4 both teams

Other targets should be: Matt Rosa, Daniel Kerr, Jarryd + Mitch Morton, Mitch Thorp, David HAle, David Armitage, Matt Priddis, Drew Petrie, Farren Ray, David Mundy, Travis Boak, Kris Barlow..

These trade are to be treated as IDEAS, a broader concept.. and SINGULAR, i dont mean they should all actually happen, nor do I even suggest they will..

We need a target down forward, and an injection of pace!!

Well we have Michael Newton, he has to be given a chance. There is your target up forward. Injection of pace: Through the draft.

The only 2 players I see as trade bait are Bell and Sylvia. I wouldn't trade them for anything less than between pick 30 - 40. I would listen to a Jericho trade. Sherman has had a good year so he won't be going anywhere. I would doubt that Thorp will go anywhere he's still very young. I think Boyle is overrated I can't see him being a no1 or 2 forward for us he is more suited to the 4th forward role and Green has done enough to suggest he won't be traded as has Bruce the likelyhood is that he will be our captain next year. I don't know anything about Stewart I must admit I don't watch Port much but I do know they have about the worst backline in the league and that is why I think Bell could go for a lot better pick than what most people think.

The player I would be after is Prismall, he will always have a lack of opportunity at Geelong with a midfield containing Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Ling, Selwood, Enright, Kelly and Chapman and by the end of the year if they win another premiership they will have to have problems with their salary cap like last year when they gave away King, Gardiner and Callen away for nothing we could get Prismall for a bargain.

I would only grab Warnock with our PSD pick. Ruckman aren't worth much these days unless they are doing the things Naita is doing ATM.

Jesus you carry on RR... Most, if not ALL of what you write is simple exposition of opinion, yet you masquerade as though you have a greater reading of the game and its finer points and a finer understanding ONLY because you can string a few words together. A good education does not make one smart... I would say probably less than 50% of what you write holds any water with me...

Sorry it is. OP is not the same as doing ACL. There is no set course or certainty of recovery. Its not how he recovers. Its the fact he has it and has not played for two years. If his value is diminished then we may as well get some value out of him here.

Sorry, it's not. Again, a classic. You have an opinion that something is or isn't the case, then say "In my opinion." Don't say "sorry" at me like I'm a pre-schooler. I'll say it again. There ARE players that have come back from OP and played solid football... Say it with me now Rhino... NOT a career KILLER! a VALUE diminisher. In my opinion...

See? Not that hard.

IMO, trades are hard enough to do...period. OP kills value....period.

Ummmmm. Yes... and then No. Trades almost never happen... I reckon about 2% of the trade discussion actually bears fruit (not including the ones pre-arranged a la Acker). With that in mind, what we're doing here is talking about whether or not players have value as an offer... If you seriously think Rivers has no value, then I can't see how you expect to be taken seriously on these forums... You're like the anti-Y_M... Instead of ridiculously positive comments, you have ridiculously NEGATIVE comments...

Firstly, he was not playing the key defender roles that would be expected of him now. Secondly he has struggled on bigger forwards and does lack pace so it limits the types of forwards he can match up on. And thirdly and most importantly, the game has changed significantly in the last 3 years since he won the rising star. Its faster more punishing than before. For both forwards and backs the need for pace has never been greater with the mobilty demanded of players. Rivers lacks the pace and its compounded by not have played for two years.

Firstly he's rarely played ON a player. His best footy is as the third tall, drifting back in defence. In the situations he HAS played on a player it's been the slowest tall... And even when it isn't, he's played on the likes of Riewoldt and won. Are you sure we're talking about the same player? Besides... He would be traded AS a Harley-type defender, not as a KP matchup option. Secondly, see the point made firstly. Thirdly? This one holds some water. But only some. Rivers was always slow, and it never hurt him. The history of the game is littered with slow players who had the BRAINS to be able to work around their shortcomings. Harvey is still cracking 30 possessions and he's always been slowish. Yes the need for pace is dire, but not EVERY guy on the list has to be pacey. Warnock, Garland AND Frawley all have a bit of toe in them... but personally I reckon what we are missing is PRECISELY what Rivers offers. Someone who drifts into the hole and offers assistance when spoiling... which, shock horror, is what he's ALWAYS done... You watch Geelong's defence and that's what makes them so impenetrable.

BTW, OP does not make you quicker in absence.

Really? Are you sure? [censored]... Thank God you're here to tell us these things RR... Don't talk at me like I've posted 15 times on this site. I am AWAAAAARE of what OP does to a player, and as far as I'm concerned Rivers is still easily in our best 6 players WHEN fit, AFTER OP... hell, even WITH OP. He played one of the BEST 6 possession games you'll ever see against Fremantle and was a presence in one of the finest and unlikeliest wins I've ever seen. My eyes are open, stop insisting I'm seeing something that only the "grand Rhino Richards" is capable of divining.

I can just imagine the wheeling dealing with a player that is limited up back and has OP for two years.

Limited up back? Jesus you are Rich. When was he ever LIMITED! Just because he's not enormous, and just because he's not Matty Scarlett he's "limited?" He won the Rising star FFS! Over Aaron Davey! He's played more than one gun season, and only mug, one-eyed opposition supporters (and you, evidently) doubt his credentials.

I notice you had not addressed my concerns about the Saints interest. No wonder.

Oh alright then... I considered it superfluous... but since that escaped you, here you go. Prepare yourself now... Rivers is a good player. The Saints have Maguire who is falling to bits, and Fisher... then it's Hudgton who's getting on a bit. How much simpler can I make it? They're not looking for someone to play in the midfield, they're looking for a PROVEN, YOUNG, tall defender. They want pace? They can recruit a flanker. Or better yet, get a midfielder... And if YOU think that just because a club has had a star player go down with OP that they're going to be made "gunshy" then you're not the Rhino I know. The club will make a simple medical assessment... JUST like they would have already done with Kosi... which brings me to my next point.

Psssst! Rivers is NQR primarily because he has OP.

No [censored]. Really?

He is also limited in certain areas.

Try this on for size. I disagree.... Actually... NO... Let's try it your way. YOU'RE WRONG. Rivers is a decorated young player. His strengths outweigh whatever "weaknesses" the armchair experts claim to see... (that the professionals have never mentioned, it may surprise you to find out)

I wish you were the negotiating party on the other side.

I wish you'd stop being a sanctimonious twit.

St K will want a 1st rounder for Kosi.

We'd want a 1st rounder for Rivers.

I am not sure he is worth it

Neither am I.

and Rivers with his ailment wont deliver near it.

I never said he would. I said that given BOTH players have injury concerns... (and yes Rhino before you chime in and "inform" me that one has OP and the other has had many concussions and a knee, I am aware of their histories)... It may work out well for both parties to do a straight swap.

You would be a fool.

You ARE a fool.

St Kilda amongst other things are S-L-O-W. I am sure they would be interested in a player that compliments their own pace style and his OP woulde be good to keep Luke Ball company!

Yeeees Rhino... I heard you the first 18 times. You know what I think you need? You need to say "Mr Speaker" before ever sentence. You sound just like a whining politician...

Here's the guts of it mate. St. Kilda ARE slow. So are we. Kosi IS slow. So is Rivers.... Kosi is a FF... Given Gehrig is on the way out I doubt he'll go, but given his frustrating history, it's quite common for clubs to move a player who may need a change of atmosphere, to alleviate some of the perceived pressures. Rivers is a 3rd tall... Currently successful clubs use them, Rhino... Harley is a perfect example.

And you know what? If they bring in a guy that could very well overcome his OP and go on to play EXACTLY as well as he has in his best years, they would go a long way to stopping the leaking that's going on down there. And as for Ball... Do you seriously reckon they think like that? That CAN'T be true that you do... They don't look at their list and think "oooh, we've got too many players with OP." They look on it as a case-by-case basis... If Rivers looks as hough he can overcome it, then he's attractive to clubs. Simple...

When he comes back and starts playing well again... probably at MFC because hardly any interesting trades ever really happen... I would LOVE an apology for the tone you've used, and would enjoy seeing you say you were wrong... which somehow NEVER happens. Could it be you are ALWAYS right? No.

;) Trade Talk, its an even playing field because in the end probably all of us will be proved wrong to vary degrees [100% even].

With inside info, rumours, speculation etc from this thread it would appear that the following players from other clubs may by their own choice, or that of their clubs, be on the trade table:

R.Warnock - Fremantle

B. Prismall - Geelong

A. Davey - Essendon

T.Boyle - Hawthorn*

M. Thorp -Hawthorn*

D. Mundy - Fremantle

*I'm not so sure Hawthorn will be in a big hurry to trade

Realistically IMO our player's with the most trade value are:

Brad Green.

Not a very big list is it.

Players with possible trade value:

Nathan Carroll

Colin Sylvia

Brent Moloney

Daniel Bell

Of course there are a myriad of other outside possibilities but my point is that I think realistically we'd be lucky to be involved in any more then two trades in the coming period.

Obviously, we would love a second pick in the top 10, right? Well, it's obvious that we would have to give up something pretty big and I think this trade would work:

Aaron Davey and Pick 18 to Essendon, Pick 4 (?) to Melbourne

Controversial, yes, but the Bombers still lack pace and the Davey brothers would be reunited. And who knows, we could secure Naitanui AND Watts.

With the developement of Wonaeamirri and Maric we would surely be able to cover the loss of Davey.

I'm just speculating, but you have to give up something to gain something. Hawthorn did 3-4 years ago and look where they're at now.

Controversial, yes, but the Bombers still lack pace and the Davey brothers would be reunited. And who knows, we could secure Naitanui AND Watts.

With ageing kpps in Lloyd, Lucas, Michael and Fletcher, I doubt that the Bombers would trade for Aaron Davey when they already have Jetta, Reimers and Alwyn.

Guest MFC4Life
With ageing kpps in Lloyd, Lucas, Michael and Fletcher, I doubt that the Bombers would trade for Aaron Davey when they already have Jetta, Reimers and Alwyn.

Agreed. If anything Essendon need KPP's and would be hoping to snare Hurley, Watts or even Naitinui come November.

Obviously, we would love a second pick in the top 10, right? Well, it's obvious that we would have to give up something pretty big and I think this trade would work:

With the developement of Wonaeamirri and Maric we would surely be able to cover the loss of Davey.

Wonna is no where near the pace of Davey!!

We loose Davey we seriously loose that chase that he gives week in week out.

Its a good point.

If we are so lacking in pace, I am reluctant to trade Davey unless it was a good deal. Davey strikes me as the sort of player who be more damaging if MFC were a more competitive side. Nevertheless, I still think temperament and engine are issues for him.

And I cant see Essendon going hard for him. You can add Lovett and Lovett Murray to the list as well

Worst case of pot calling kettle black I have seen.

You either get it or you dont...you clearly dont. Oh well..no loss.

HA!

I'm stunned by the flawless logic...

"You don't get it." The last time someone proved me wrong with that logic, I was 7 and he was 8 and we were fighting over lego.

Rhino, mate... More people on here "get" things than you like to believe. Here's the part you can't grasp...

NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH YOU!!!!

In fact, I think most don't.

Get that.

We're slow, and Davey's quick. Probably not the first guy we'd be looking to off-load. A top 4 pick is hard to knock back, though. However, I'm not sure how it'd influence on the group dynamics - particularly if Davey is likely to be promoted into the leadership group. Probably a moot point anyway - I'd be pretty unhappy with that trade if I was an Essendon supporter, and that's always a good hint that it's a one-sided trade.

Davey for pick 4?

Where do I sign!!!!

I highly doubt that anyone would be willing to hand over pick 4 in a strong draft for Davey and if they were then we should jump at the offer. I'm not saying that Davey is a hack, because he's not. I just don't think he's worth a top 4 pick.

I'm just speculating, but you have to give up something to gain something. Hawthorn did 3-4 years ago and look where they're at now.

Hang onto Davey. There is no way essendon will give up pick 4. If they have pick 4? I know your just speculating but I can't recall anyone giving up a early pick like that to Hawthorn 3-4 years ago. They benefitted from Priority Pick back then.

Bombers already have Alwyn anyway! I'm not sure a Davey would satisfy a Pick 4 in terms of value. In fact I don't think anyone on the list apart from perhaps a Cale Morton would command a pick 4 at present.

Admire your line of thinking because I do think 1 serious trade will be considered, much like the TJ for No.14 pick, because as DB has stated he wants a young list to work with.

Guest MFC4Life

In fact, correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the last trade of a top 10 pick was when Fremantle gave up their number 8 pick in a three-way trade for Tarrant.

Top Ten picks are fast becoming untouchable and started to become so even before all the Gold Coast stuff.

In fact, correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the last trade of a top 10 pick was when Fremantle gave up their number 8 pick in a three-way trade for Tarrant.

Top Ten picks are fast becoming untouchable and started to become so even before all the Gold Coast stuff.

You might be right. Speaking of pick no.8 I was hoping for Pick no.8 from Brisbane for TJ. I guess 14 was fair from there point of view.

Some things never change. :D

At least you spared readers an endless "wall of text".

Good luck with the lego.

I quite liked his wall of text, good to see you cop it for once RR. Nice work Dappa!

Hang onto Davey. There is no way essendon will give up pick 4. If they have pick 4? I know your just speculating but I can't recall anyone giving up a early pick like that to Hawthorn 3-4 years ago. They benefitted from Priority Pick back then.

Bombers already have Alwyn anyway! I'm not sure a Davey would satisfy a Pick 4 in terms of value. In fact I don't think anyone on the list apart from perhaps a Cale Morton would command a pick 4 at present.

Admire your line of thinking because I do think 1 serious trade will be considered, much like the TJ for No.14 pick, because as DB has stated he wants a young list to work with.

Thank you High Tower. Yes, I think the club needs to make a "hard trade" in order to secure another top 10 pick. Will it happen?? Maybe not, but we need to give it a go.

Davey, McLean, Morton and Bate are the only players on our list IMO that could command a top 10 pick WITH a "sweetener" (i.e. pick 17 or 18) with the exception of Morton who could probably command a top 10 pick alone. For me, Morton and Bate are off limits and I think we should be looking to build a midfield around Brock McLean.

I agree with Rhino - I sometimes question Davey's temperament and his ability to grow into a midfield role. He is a wonderful player, and I'd prefer to keep him, but the club needs to make some tough calls.