Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Selection is bordering on farce. Steven Smith has been drafted into the Test squad because there's an injury concern for Hauritz.

As I said a long time back, I think we should decide on a group of players we think are good prospects and then stick with them.

How many spinners have we churned through in recent times? It's madness (almost as mad as suggesting Smith and White play as our Test spinner).

Selection is bordering on farce. Steven Smith has been drafted into the Test squad because there's an injury concern for Hauritz.

As I said a long time back, I think we should decide on a group of players we think are good prospects and then stick with them.

How many spinners have we churned through in recent times? It's madness (almost as mad as suggesting Smith and White play as our Test spinner).

My thoughts precisely, Rogue. In all due respect to the selectors... Jason Krejza ?

I agree we should decide on a certain number of prospects and stick with them. The search for a spinner might be hard, but there will never be another S.K.Warne if that is what they're searching for. Krejza at worst, deserves another go.

However: -

Unfortunate for Hauritz. Perhaps they are of the thinking that because it is in Perth, they may give Smith a debut, rather than a Krejza on a "traditionally non-conducive to spinners" wicket. Once Hauritz is over his troubled injury he may return ?

In response to India's 414, Sri Lanka are currently 1/311 off 35.5 overs.

Sangakarra is 86 of 39, fantastic player - one of my current favourites. Dilshan is 146 off 116

Sangakarra is one of my favourites too. Massive chase. Well done Sri Lanka & India on their win.

Dilshan just as impressive, great innings.

Edited by High Tower

Chris Rogers giving his Aussie chances a lift

140 for Victoria

40-50 odd runs short. Massive ask chasing an all-time record chase (batting second) at the G (340), no matter how good the pitch. Top order wickets cost the Vics. The likes of Hodge, Hussey & White went cheaply and being 5 wickets down early on, they were never going to reach the target, despite a great knock from Rogers.

The Vics will HAVE to win against NSW on the 23rd to have a chance of reaching the final in Feb. It doesn't look well being 3-3 in the Ford Ranger. If they don't win on the 23rd it is sayonara ! Then the Vics can concentrate on the Pura Cup/Sheffield Shield and the Twenty/20 which they have good records in.

Sangakarra is one of my favourites too. Massive chase. Well done Sri Lanka & India on their win.

Dilshan just as impressive, great innings.

What an amazing game. Over 800 Runs in 100 overs!!!! Pitch must have been made from a peice of Pristine Autobhan!! Flat and Lifeless for bowling.

Sri lanka only lost by 3 runs! chasing 417.

Perhaps they are of the thinking that because it is in Perth, they may give Smith a debut, rather than a Krejza on a "traditionally non-conducive to spinners" wicket.

I can't see the sense in that. If you felt playing any of our spinners was going to be dicey then why not play a fast or medium-pacer?

Surely we wouldn't consider throwing a Smith to the wolves to protect a Krejza. Surely... :|

Once Hauritz is over his troubled injury he may return ?

I'm sure that's the plan, yeah.

Anyway, moot point now :)

I can't see the sense in that. If you felt playing any of our spinners was going to be dicey then why not play a fast or medium-pacer?

Surely we wouldn't consider throwing a Smith to the wolves to protect a Krejza. Surely... :|

I'm sure that's the plan, yeah.

Anyway, moot point now :)

You said it yourself Rogue, "Selection is bordering on a farce", perhaps I'm trying too hard to predict what the selectors are thinking...?

Here's the thing. Smith is "filling in" for Hauritz whilst he recovers, would that be a fair statement ?

The selectors won't lose face once Hauritz is fit to return. They've given a young spinner (Smith) a taste of Test Match cricket. Everyone's happy; no pressure.

But had they selected Krejza say for Perth, a bloke who has already played at Test level, it seemingly could put pressure on the selectors if he acquits himself well and hence Hauritz.

Or perhaps I'm just summising that the selectors don't want any added pressure and are happy to stick with Hauritz...

anyway...

Sth Africa v England Test in SA...

Sth Africa are 4/171 start of the 3rd session; Day 1

J Kallis 53 not out

JP Duminy 9 not out

You said it yourself Rogue, "Selection is bordering on a farce", perhaps I'm trying too hard to predict what the selectors are thinking...?

Maybe you are :)

To me, their thinking is virtually impenetrable.

Here's the thing. Smith is "filling in" for Hauritz whilst he recovers, would that be a fair statement ?

For sure - I think this is a fair assumption to make.

The selectors won't lose face once Hauritz is fit to return. They've given a young spinner (Smith) a taste of Test Match cricket. Everyone's happy; no pressure.

Everyone's happy except the host of spinners that feel they should be in front of Smith in the pecking order! ;)

But had they selected Krejza say for Perth, a bloke who has already played at Test level, it seemingly could put pressure on the selectors if he acquits himself well and hence Hauritz.

Or perhaps I'm just summising that the selectors don't want any added pressure and are happy to stick with Hauritz...

Surely the #2 coming in and playing well is a good thing for all (except perhaps Hauritz, in a selfish sense)?

I don't think there'd be a huge amount of pressure on the selectors, given that Hauritz has done okay and no other spinner is knocking the door down (but plenty deserve to be chosen before Smith atm IMO).

That said, if the selectors are making decisions to protect their reputations we're in more trouble than I thought.

It'd be nice to have been a fly on the wall in selection meetings over the past year or so, wouldn't it?

(Better to have been a selector, of course!)

RE: SA v ENG - Pretty interesting game in SA. Interesting that England are going in with just three bowlers. I assume a batsman or two - Collingwood and perhaps KP - will roll the arm over at times.

This continual failure of our batsmen to make centuries is becoming a bit worrying to me. Not because I'm desperate to see 100s, but it shows a lack of concentration or application, and it robs the team of momentum and the chance to dominate even further.

However, Katich's dismissal just lenghtens the list of near-misses in Test cricket over the last month. Some of the cricket recently has been amazing. The NZ-Pakistan series was close, and thus exciting, the India-SL ODI was amazing, the Windies have put up more fight than most imagined possible, and the first day of the RSA-England Test was a close battle.

Agree. Smith is not even close to being a Test-quality bowler. He's a batting all-rounder at the moment.

Krejza and McGain are well in front of him. If we want a leg-spinning all-rounder we should pick Cameron White.

RE: SA v ENG - Pretty interesting game in SA. Interesting that England are going in with just three bowlers. I assume a batsman or two - Collingwood and perhaps KP - will roll the arm over at times.

3 bowlers? They've got Anderson, Broad, Onions and Swann. That's 4...

However, Anderson's got a knee problem, Onions has pulled his calf, and Broad was seen doing a lot of stretching in the field. We may well see Collingwood and Trott continue bowling their part-time nothings if those injuries are serious.

This continual failure of our batsmen to make centuries is becoming a bit worrying to me. Not because I'm desperate to see 100s, but it shows a lack of concentration or application, and it robs the team of momentum and the chance to dominate even further.

I would have thought that 3/339 reflects a fair bit of momentum. Katich shot was not good. Watson got a very good ball. What was Clarke thinking? It would be good to see Watson get his breakthrough 100. He deserves it and has play well. He would not be the first player to have taken time to crack the ton (Simpson and S Waugh come to mind) However over the series, the middle order have played some pretty cavalier lightweight hands. Hussey is playing for his future today. Its the best I have seen him bat this year.

Why the media goes on about Perth being fast bowlers strip I dont know? There is a bit of bounce but it is not a quick wicket. It played beautifully for first day wicket and I reckon looks good for 5 days of batting.

Windies just cant sustain the pressure consistently.

However, Katich's dismissal just lenghtens the list of near-misses in Test cricket over the last month. Some of the cricket recently has been amazing. The NZ-Pakistan series was close, and thus exciting, the India-SL ODI was amazing, the Windies have put up more fight than most imagined possible, and the first day of the RSA-England Test was a close battle.

Just proves that Test Cricket is not dominated by one nation like Australia did for so long. The cricket has ben very enjoyable.

Agree. Smith is not even close to being a Test-quality bowler. He's a batting all-rounder at the moment.

Krejza and McGain are well in front of him. If we want a leg-spinning all-rounder we should pick Cameron White.

i read somewhere that selectors are seeing ODI as a better proxy for Test than just Shield games. I dont think they were ever going to seriously drop Hauritz to go for Smith as a spinner here. Its more a reflection that he is definitely in the selectors eyes as a future prospect but more as a batsman.

Krejza has bowled fairly well but cant get the wickets this year. Still a long way back. McGain might be a very outside chance for Melbourne (odds lengthened IMO). McGain at nearly 38 yo is finished

However, Anderson's got a knee problem, Onions has pulled his calf, and Broad was seen doing a lot of stretching in the field. We may well see Collingwood and Trott continue bowling their part-time nothings if those injuries are serious.

By the injuries, they may only have Swann!

What was Clarke thinking?

Certainly. What was he thinking ?! Gayle has set that field for him in the other tests. That was certainly reckless batting.

It would be good to see Watson get his breakthrough 100. He deserves it and has play well. He would not be the first player to have taken time to crack the ton (Simpson and S Waugh come to mind).

I agree he desrves it. I saw a stat that it took 41 innings for S.Waugh to get his first ton.

Why the media goes on about Perth being fast bowlers strip I dont know? There is a bit of bounce but it is not a quick wicket. It played beautifully for first day wicket and I reckon looks good for 5 days of batting.

Agree. Traditionally, the Perth wicket has been a fast bowling strip. The media hang their hat on that. Like you, I don't think it is overly a quick wicket. I think it will hold together well. Gone are the massive cracks that the Perth wicket used to serve up on the 4th and 5th days play.

Just proves that Test Cricket is not dominated by one nation like Australia did for so long. The cricket has ben very enjoyable.

I don't mind watching the likes of Sth Africa v Eng or NZ v Pak too. Tests bring out the best cricket IMO - others may argue that; hence "Test" - but that's me.

Watching De Villiers take to Collingwood last night gave me goose bumps. :lol:

Edited by High Tower

What was Clarke thinking?

'I'll hit this over the top'. He hits in the air - that's his game.

Hussey is playing for his future today. Its the best I have seen him bat this year.

He got one today. If you suggest he's playing for his future it seems he's done. However, I thought he not only made runs but also looked decent at the crease, so I'd retain him for the next series and see whether he's turned the corner or is yesterday was an abberation.

It used to be a fast bowler's strip. Most comments about the pitch I've heard have mentioned this. In fact, it's been the topic of a few interviews/articles.

i read somewhere that selectors are seeing ODI as a better proxy for Test than just Shield games.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Smith has played zero ODI games. (Say hi to a guy called Cam).

I dont think they were ever going to seriously drop Hauritz to go for Smith as a spinner here. Its more a reflection that he is definitely in the selectors eyes as a future prospect but more as a batsman.

There are plenty who should be "in the selectors eyes" before Smith.

*three pace bowlers

He may of well been thinking that, however with the way the field was set (and it was set for a one reason), Clarke should be good enough (with his calibre of batting) to hit over the top when he thinks "go over the top" - not straight down someone's throat in a set trap field.

He may of well been thinking that, however with the way the field was set (and it was set for a one reason), Clarke should be good enough (with his calibre of batting) to hit over the top when he thinks "go over the top"

Everyone makes mistakes, and getting caught is the risk you take for playing the aerial game.

Think about how often Clarke was caught earlier in his career when trying to hit over the off-side in-field.

Everyone makes mistakes, and getting caught is the risk you take for playing the aerial game.

Yes, everyone does make mistakes.

I wouldn't have thought Clarke's game is a high risk aerial game.

Fwiw, I consider Clarke's game to be a careful, low risk along the ground game. Uses his feet well, rarely hits it over the top. Plays the ball well backward of square, off his pads. Has a good on/off-drive game, plays the cut well through backward of point. Splits the field well and milks the runs.

7/520 declared. 5 runs short of breaking the record for highest score with no century. Still, it's the biggest Australian score ever without someone making a century.

Haddin played beautifully. The only bad shot he played was the one he went out to.

It will be interesting to see how we bowl to Gayle after Adelaide. Hopefully McKay gets some success.

For a guy with pretensions of being Aust Captain, he needs to change his ways. His batting at times reeks of class but not leadership. I thought he had turned the corner during the Ashes. He has lapsed since.

He got one today. If you suggest he's playing for his future it seems he's done. However, I thought he not only made runs but also looked decent at the crease, so I'd retain him for the next series and see whether he's turned the corner or is yesterday was an abberation.

I agree he is done. i dont think this innings will save him. He will never get it so good as this Test. ordinary attack, firm true wicket, fast outfield. He needed a ton when the wind was blowing his way. He could not get it. At his best he cant crack a ton. At his worst, he should not be selected.

It used to be a fast bowler's strip. Most comments about the pitch I've heard have mentioned this. In fact, it's been the topic of a few interviews/articles.

Phantom facts by the journalist. Its strikes me as a beautful batsmans deck with a little bit of bounce. has been like that for years now.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Smith has played zero ODI games. (Say hi to a guy called Cam).

Must have got mixed up with 20/20. Oops. I think Cam White is definitely putting himself forward as a batsman ATM.

There are plenty who should be "in the selectors eyes" before Smith.

As a batsman you are probably right. As a spinner, I am not so sure.

three pace bowlers

Ah ha. All lame too!

I wouldn't have thought Clarke's game is a high risk aerial game.

Fwiw, I consider Clarke's game to be a careful, low risk along the ground game. Uses his feet well, rarely hits it over the top. [...]

To me it sounds like you're describing someone else :P

I'm pretty sure Clarke got dropped because he kept getting caught attempting to hit through or over the in-field.

While he's reined in his natural instincts a bit (bizarrely, in the case of ODI games), he still has a penchant for hitting in the air.

For a guy with pretensions of being Aust Captain, he needs to change his ways. His batting at times reeks of class but not leadership. I thought he had turned the corner during the Ashes. He has lapsed since.

I wouldn't be so harsh - my opinion is a middle-ground between the views you and H_T have put forward.

Phantom facts by the journalist. Its strikes me as a beautful batsmans deck with a little bit of bounce. has been like that for years now.

Yesm that's what's been mentioned by numerous journalists and players (which is what I was trying to communicate). The key phrase in my sentence was used to.

Must have got mixed up with 20/20. Oops. I think Cam White is definitely putting himself forward as a batsman ATM.

He hasn't played any T20 games either. Oops :P

You also said Smith is seen as a future prospect but more of a batsman. I contend that White fits that bill (and he has great ODI form, which apparently matters more than Shield).

As a batsman you are probably right. As a spinner, I am not so sure.

Most states would have a better spinner than Smith is at the moment. Krejza and McGain are the two that spring to mind, given they've played a couple of Tests.

Shield wickets @ average this season (career average) for selected spinners (and some part-time spinners):

Adam Voges 4 @ 26 (35) //has represented Australia in 7 ODIs and 4 T20's from 2007 to 2009

Steve O'Keefe 3 @ 34 (33)

Bryce McGain 13 @ 34 (36) //represented Australia in 1 Test 2008

Beau Casson 2 @ 35 (43) //represented Australia in 1 Test 2008

Dan Marsh 5 @ 35 (45)

Marcus North 8 @ 35 (42) //season figures includes Tests

Aaron O'Brien 12 @ 42 (50)

Steven Smith 3 @ 45 (75)

Jason Krezja 13 @ 47 (48) //represented Australia in 2 Tests 2008

Cullen Bailey 5 @ 50 (44) //2007-08 CA contract

Fwiw, here are the 'list-A' wickets and averages of some spinners this season (and some part-time spinners):

Chris Simpson 8 @ 30

Bryce McGain 4 @ 33

Aaron O'Brien 6 @ 34

Aaron Heal 6 @ 34

Marcus North 3 @ 37

Steven Smith 7 @ 38

Jason Krezja 3 @ 72

Ah ha. All lame too!

Yes, very odd (and dangerous).